Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
5p shopping bags 08:44 - Oct 5 with 12671 viewsexiled_dictator

shoppers will now be charged 5p for a plastic bag, if the retailer has more than 250 employees.
i am very happy that this long overdue change is coming into force from today.
many of our regular shoppers either reuse plastic bags, use bags for life, or even the ikea large bags. but inevitably, there are also donces who ask for a plastic bag having purchased a mars bar, or something that clearly does not require a bag.
i would love to have a no bag policy where you either enter the shop with a bag already, or simply don't use one at all. many purchases don't require them. i am talking specifically about convenience food purchases, not knicker buying in marks and sparks. i think most people already have enough bags at home, or in their car to justify such a policy.
stop providing plastic bags, just use what you have or purchase a bag for life.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

5p shopping bags on 13:07 - Oct 5 with 1380 viewsTheBlob

5p shopping bags on 10:07 - Oct 5 by ElHoop

In fairness telling the English to do this is something on a different scale completely. The bag for life will have to become some sort of fashion item - it can't just be a non-design bag with some shitty supermarket name on the side. If you're buying a box of sheep dip cleanser or something then a battered vintage tesco plastic carrier is fine, but this is on a different level.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 10:08]

Tsk tsk,your patronising snobbery gene is peeking through again.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

5p shopping bags on 13:15 - Oct 5 with 1362 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 12:38 - Oct 5 by simmo

But what happens if you don't have a bag with you and then the supermarket don't have any for you to use because they've stopped making them? What happens then?

They can give you one of those bags for life which don't ruin the planet. At the moment the only option is to either take your own plastic bag or pay for one, I'm not sure how that solves anything. This plan to continue making plastic bags and just charge for them now is a half arsed way to make it look like they are doing something without doing anything and make a few quid along the way. Very clever from supermarkets really. The alternative option to just stop making them altogether would put a stop to it instantly but wheres the profit in that.
5p shopping bags on 13:16 - Oct 5 with 1361 viewsisawqpratwcity

5p shopping bags on 12:50 - Oct 5 by daveB

i just don't think it's right they can use an environmental issue like this to make money, they should just stop making them rather than charging people for them.

Its a price signal: if people want it enough they will pay for it.

Victoria hasn't legislated for charging for bags unlike, say, South Australia. But I can take bags back to the supermarket for recycling, and I stick the fruit and veggie bags in, too (I hope that's ok?).

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

5p shopping bags on 13:17 - Oct 5 with 1359 viewspastieR

I use plastic bags to throw rubbish away.
Are there any good eco black bin bags that don't cost a bomb?
5p shopping bags on 13:25 - Oct 5 with 1339 viewsR_from_afar

5p shopping bags on 13:00 - Oct 5 by simmo

I want to go Sainsburys but only have a Tesco carrier bag - what do I do??

That question is worthy of a thread all of its own!

Some suggestions:
- Only buy what you can carry in your own two hands
- Grow your own food
- Search Ebay and Freecycle for a Sainsbury's bag
- Go to Waitrose instead. From what I hear, they are so posh in that store that you get assigned your own butler who will carry your shopping on a silver salver for you.
- Check your local river. There will probably be several thousand Sainsbury's bags cluttering it up. You can make a difference by liberating one.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

5p shopping bags on 13:29 - Oct 5 with 1328 viewsAntti_Heinola

5p shopping bags on 13:15 - Oct 5 by daveB

They can give you one of those bags for life which don't ruin the planet. At the moment the only option is to either take your own plastic bag or pay for one, I'm not sure how that solves anything. This plan to continue making plastic bags and just charge for them now is a half arsed way to make it look like they are doing something without doing anything and make a few quid along the way. Very clever from supermarkets really. The alternative option to just stop making them altogether would put a stop to it instantly but wheres the profit in that.

Bare bones.

5p shopping bags on 13:35 - Oct 5 with 1314 viewsWatford_Ranger

5p shopping bags on 13:15 - Oct 5 by daveB

There's no profit in this for the supermarkets at all except for the fact they'll be producing fewer plastic bags which currently are costing them roughly 0.00001p each. As shown in other countries, usage of plastic bags drops dramatically and habits change. I'm not one for environmental issues but it will reduce litter which is a good thing.
5p shopping bags on 13:38 - Oct 5 with 1308 viewsTheBlob

F*ck me,you moan about paying 5p for a shopping bag and merrily pay £50 to watch a shit football team?
Have a word with yourselves.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

5p shopping bags on 13:43 - Oct 5 with 1303 viewsBlackCrowe

If I was Mr Tesco or Mr Asda etc, I'd steal a march and pay for customers continuing using plastic bags by buying the bags for them by deducting it off their bill. Sure driver of footfall that would more than self-fund.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

5p shopping bags on 13:44 - Oct 5 with 1297 viewsstonebridgers

4p goes to the charity the other 1p goes to the government. Another tax?
We use bags for life for our weekly shop but the wife has started using the click and collect service and all your items are in carrier bags. Now Tesco are charging you a flat rate of 40p to cover the plastic bag charge and it doesn't matter how many you use. Why cant they use bags for life and charge me 40p for these and I can return them on my next visit and get a refund?
I understand the problems with Carrier bags and litter but it is only the big supermarkets that are doing this and not your small corner shop who will continue to use plastic bags.

Stonebridgers

5p shopping bags on 13:51 - Oct 5 with 1280 viewsTonto

am i the only one wondering if Dave Gorman will be using some of the comments in here in one of his found poems very soon?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

5p shopping bags on 13:54 - Oct 5 with 1276 viewshopphoops

5p shopping bags on 11:23 - Oct 5 by Tonto

when my wife and i decided to bring our own bags, we used to forget them too - but its all about getting into a routine.

One idea is to leave some bags in the car. we have about 6 reusable bags, but normally only need 3 or 4, so by having some in the cupboard and some in the car, we have one with us 99% of the time.

So stop making excuses and just reuse the bags !

I found they quickly filled the car up so i got an SUV.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

5p shopping bags on 13:58 - Oct 5 with 1262 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 13:44 - Oct 5 by stonebridgers

We use bags for life for our weekly shop but the wife has started using the click and collect service and all your items are in carrier bags. Now Tesco are charging you a flat rate of 40p to cover the plastic bag charge and it doesn't matter how many you use. Why cant they use bags for life and charge me 40p for these and I can return them on my next visit and get a refund?
I understand the problems with Carrier bags and litter but it is only the big supermarkets that are doing this and not your small corner shop who will continue to use plastic bags.

Even if you were happy with them using any old 'reusable' bag that has been returned by any countless number of customers, it would be a nightmare for the supermarkets to collect and administer, without increasing costs somewhere along the lines... ie the cost of your food. However, Food hygiene laws or some other Health and Safety rules are bound to forbid this anyway

Perhaps it may be tough to swallow this unaccpetable charge, for you. Maybe consider it as a contribution for someone to wander around the store and do your shopping for you... or save and do it yourself, assuming you feel 40 pence is a fair rate to charge for your time (or do they already charge for this service... never used it)
5p shopping bags on 14:00 - Oct 5 with 1260 viewsBluce_Ree

THIS IS SHIT.

I popped into ASDA at lunch time for a couple of bottles of health-o-drink and two bags of jerky, went to the self-serve. Didn't even have any bags there to buy. I don't really mind paying 5p but I didn't even have the option. Ended up having to pocket that shit.

This sucks cocks for the lord.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

5p shopping bags on 14:04 - Oct 5 with 1249 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 14:00 - Oct 5 by Bluce_Ree

THIS IS SHIT.

I popped into ASDA at lunch time for a couple of bottles of health-o-drink and two bags of jerky, went to the self-serve. Didn't even have any bags there to buy. I don't really mind paying 5p but I didn't even have the option. Ended up having to pocket that shit.

This sucks cocks for the lord.

Werent there any plastic bag touts hanging around?
5p shopping bags on 14:08 - Oct 5 with 1237 viewsTrellick

Whats the average lifespan of a bag for life?
5p shopping bags on 14:11 - Oct 5 with 1224 viewsWatford_Ranger

5p shopping bags on 14:08 - Oct 5 by Trellick

Depends how old you are
5p shopping bags on 14:12 - Oct 5 with 1223 viewssimmo

5p shopping bags on 14:08 - Oct 5 by Trellick

They last longer in America. A bag for life in America means a bag for life, not like England, soft as shit.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

5p shopping bags on 14:15 - Oct 5 with 1219 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Charging is all fair and well as long as supermarkets produce better quality plastic bags. This will prevent customers from doubling or tripling up in order to carry heavy items.
5p shopping bags on 14:47 - Oct 5 with 1194 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 13:44 - Oct 5 by stonebridgers

It's a racket, if this was even slightly about helping the environment then they wouldn't be giving them out at all anymore but they'll still make them, still give them out but will now be able to charge for it.
5p shopping bags on 14:54 - Oct 5 with 1183 viewsGetMeRangers

5p shopping bags on 14:47 - Oct 5 by daveB

It's a racket, if this was even slightly about helping the environment then they wouldn't be giving them out at all anymore but they'll still make them, still give them out but will now be able to charge for it.

Cigarettes. It's a racket, if this was even slightly about people's health then they wouldn't be selling them anymore but they'll still do and tax them to the point where they just have to give up

The plastic bag habit reduced by 95% in Ireland. 71% in Wales. Like it or not... it is working

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-34138414
5p shopping bags on 14:59 - Oct 5 with 1176 viewsexiled_dictator

5p shopping bags on 14:54 - Oct 5 by GetMeRangers

Cigarettes. It's a racket, if this was even slightly about people's health then they wouldn't be selling them anymore but they'll still do and tax them to the point where they just have to give up

The plastic bag habit reduced by 95% in Ireland. 71% in Wales. Like it or not... it is working

don't let facts get in the way of someone's good argument ......

of course the idea of stopping providing bags completely is a good idea.
it just doesn't fit into some people's 'lifestyle'.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

5p shopping bags on 15:01 - Oct 5 with 1172 viewsWatford_Ranger

5p shopping bags on 14:47 - Oct 5 by daveB

A racket for charities?
5p shopping bags on 15:22 - Oct 5 with 1162 viewsdaveB

5p shopping bags on 14:54 - Oct 5 by GetMeRangers

Impossible to ban cigarettes altogether, getting rid of plastic bags would be pretty easy to but they are going to keep making them and just sell them to people now. Of course it will reduce the habit as people won't want to pay but it's a very long winded way of doingit. They could just say thats it we're not using them anymore you either use a bag for life or hard luck.
5p shopping bags on 17:05 - Oct 5 with 1116 viewslondonscottish

That's what me and the mrs do

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024