Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
worst away day? 06:21 - Nov 25 with 24242 viewsYorkRanger

Reflecting on the 141 York supporters who travelled to Portsmouth last night to see the team beaten 6-0. Left me thinking about the worst away day that people have had. Could be unfriendly locals, the weather, or just the result.

There have been many, but for me the day I hosted a table at Elland Rd, for a group of predominantly Leeds supporters, when Brian Deane finally worked out how to score, is right up there...

Any offers?
worst away day? on 15:55 - Apr 25 with 3653 viewsbillericaydicky

worst away day? on 07:52 - Nov 25 by TheChef

Port Vale was the last away game of the 98-99 season (before we beat Palace 6-0 on the last day to stay up). I seem to remember Steve Slade missing a couple of sitters that day, and then Carl Griffiths (?) getting the winner for them and winding us up.

Interesting scenes outside the ground after. Also a lot of us thought we were down, but then West Brom (?) got a late winner against some one which mean it came down to the last day. Plus towards the end of the game, I remember some nutter QPR fan getting on to the pitch and running all the way across the away end and throwing himself into the baying mob of Vale fans in the other corner of the ground.

Fun times!

Ah yes Port Vale - after about 8 cans of Stella and several chasers I recall a certain Mr Griffiths cocking his ear to our fans as he scored Vale's 2nd and that lead me to lose all sense of reason and jump over the wall onto the pitch, only to be tackled by a Steward and frog-marched into the corner and interrogated with several Old Bill in attendance.

I never got as far as said fan, but as I was being frog-marched past the Vale fans I used all my strength to release my right arm and give the locals the Nescafe handshake. I was let off with a caution and left after all the hullabaloo had died down.

A few years later I noticed that a certain Mr Griffiths had signed for non-league Heybridge Swifts, who play in Essex and were playing at home to my local club Billericay Town. So I went to the game and was pleased to notice that the teams come out along a narrow strip in front of one end when I couldn't resist but give Mr G and proper load of abuse, to which he looked totally bemused. But I felt much better for it and thankfully he had a stinker and Swifts lost.

Not that I bear a grudge...
worst away day? on 17:09 - Apr 25 with 3580 viewsterryb

The 5-0 loss at Southend, televised by Sky on a Friday night, will take a lot of beating for me. I'm sure that everyone of us that was there left the ground certain that we would be relegated.

Add in two trips to Carrow Rad for good measure. 1976 for what it cost us (the match was probably damn good) & May 2017 when Smithies was our only player on the pitch!
worst away day? on 18:36 - Apr 25 with 3510 viewsBoston

worst away day? on 07:37 - Nov 25 by loftboy

Liverpool away 1986 3 days after the league cup.semi, about 70 of us up there, Leroy Rosenior scores in the first minute and we lost 4-1

I was at that one. More than 70 mate, up in that corner right, drove up with John Scannell and Vassos Kokkinos, probably thirty of us in a City centre boozer before the game, I’d say there were couple of hundred.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

worst away day? on 19:15 - Apr 25 with 3485 viewsloftboy

worst away day? on 18:36 - Apr 25 by Boston

I was at that one. More than 70 mate, up in that corner right, drove up with John Scannell and Vassos Kokkinos, probably thirty of us in a City centre boozer before the game, I’d say there were couple of hundred.

I was sat in the main stand that day as we needed a quick exit and had been kept in for an eternity on the Wednesday , I counted the qpr fans and it was about 70, I travelled up on the normal train after using the supporters club one for the semi, there was a fleet of buses waiting for us, only one got used and there were three of us on it, me my mate and the other one turned out to be wombat, and to top it off the driver dropped us off outside the kop.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

worst away day? on 20:18 - Apr 25 with 3442 viewsdezzar

worst away day? on 17:09 - Apr 25 by terryb

The 5-0 loss at Southend, televised by Sky on a Friday night, will take a lot of beating for me. I'm sure that everyone of us that was there left the ground certain that we would be relegated.

Add in two trips to Carrow Rad for good measure. 1976 for what it cost us (the match was probably damn good) & May 2017 when Smithies was our only player on the pitch!

Anyone go to southend in the FA Cup round about 75/76 . 2-2 draw I was only a kid living in the area and was in with the Southend , i think about 27 000 squeezed into Roots Hall that day , Rangers wore the red and white halves kit and i remember a good mob of sheepskin/martens sporting Rs on the South Bank. Happy Days
worst away day? on 20:36 - Apr 25 with 3419 viewsBlackCrowe

Losing at Plough Lane 3-0 in the snow way back when was pretty low as was the Playoff final at Cardiff

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

worst away day? on 21:25 - Apr 25 with 3376 viewsajcoombes

The away day at Leicester the year we went down from the prem and the next year they went on to win the league. We lost 5-1 and they were celebrating the whole game about staying up.

I remember the announcer at the ground even finding pity on us and getting the leicester fans to applaud us, but instead they just sung f**k off the championship.
worst away day? on 00:09 - Apr 26 with 3283 viewsDannyPaddox

worst away day? on 08:39 - Nov 25 by wombat

Partisan Belgrade away for me nothing else to add apart from mullery is still a full on. C;unt to this day

You were at the Belgrade game!? Nothing more to add!? Pray do spare us a little detail. I heard as they were four down from the first leg not many locals turned up. Only about 50,000 instead of the usual 70,000.

Come on give us a little first-hand insight into one of the worst cup exits in European football history. How many Rs were there? When did you first feel the cold realisation that the unthinkable capitulation could become a reality? And if you don't want to talk about the football, though you might find it cathartic, what was Belgrade, its bars, and brothels like in 1984?
Login to get fewer ads

worst away day? on 01:41 - Apr 26 with 3245 viewsBoston

worst away day? on 20:18 - Apr 25 by dezzar

Anyone go to southend in the FA Cup round about 75/76 . 2-2 draw I was only a kid living in the area and was in with the Southend , i think about 27 000 squeezed into Roots Hall that day , Rangers wore the red and white halves kit and i remember a good mob of sheepskin/martens sporting Rs on the South Bank. Happy Days

One of my favourite ever away days.Huge Rangers turnout.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

worst away day? on 01:52 - Apr 26 with 3251 viewsJigsore

worst away day? on 00:09 - Apr 26 by DannyPaddox

You were at the Belgrade game!? Nothing more to add!? Pray do spare us a little detail. I heard as they were four down from the first leg not many locals turned up. Only about 50,000 instead of the usual 70,000.

Come on give us a little first-hand insight into one of the worst cup exits in European football history. How many Rs were there? When did you first feel the cold realisation that the unthinkable capitulation could become a reality? And if you don't want to talk about the football, though you might find it cathartic, what was Belgrade, its bars, and brothels like in 1984?

i second this motion

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

worst away day? on 09:55 - Apr 26 with 3139 viewsrobith

worst away day? on 12:27 - Apr 25 by RANGERS4EVER

Thought it was an extremely strange coincidence that you had been in the box the same game as someone previously on this post, with the exact same story, only to realise it was you from two years ago!

Haha, a damning indictment of how little I pay attention to the world around me
worst away day? on 11:46 - Apr 26 with 3098 viewsPeterHucker

the away match at Coventry in 96 already mentioned and getting relegated at Huddersfield both terrible.
playoff final at the Millenium Stadium really hurt too, especially with all their supporters giving us grief on the way back to the car park.
worst away day? on 12:16 - Apr 26 with 3064 viewsBrianWilliamsBeard

worst away day? on 00:09 - Apr 26 by DannyPaddox

Wombat will probably have a better memory than me, but my recollection is as follows...

We flew out on and back on the same charter as the players, and some fans made their own way across Europe. When we got there Belgrade was pretty friendly. We had a government guide and did a tour, including Tito's tomb and the point where the Danube and Sava merge. We also visited the Partizan ground but were kicked out for taking photos as it was classed as a military installation. The guide told us they were expecting a poor crowd because of the first leg result and we had some Partizan supporters coming to the hotel to swap scarves.
The bars were cheap and okay to begin with. We went into one where, unbeknown to us, there was some sort of event occurring and a guy on the mike kept talking and gesturing towards us, and a police man there was playing with his holster, so we exited pretty sharpish. One night we ended up at the hotel the team were staying at and were bought beers all night by some McDonnell Douglas engineers who were out there to fix a Soviet aircraft to dodge US sanctions. Some were kicked out after one of us vomited on the carpet, others ended up in the deadly dull hotel disco with some of the players.
As the game got closer the atmosphere began to turn. The local TV were running items about the arrogant English team who thought they were already through and there was a bit of a dust up with some Red Star fans. By the time we left the hotel it was distinctly hostile.
There must have been 100 or so of us there, at a guess, and the club got us complimentary tickets, which were all printed in the cyrillic alphabet obviously. We had no ideas where were sitting so initially sat in a group of seats, but locals kept turning up and turfing us out. Eventually we found out our seats were in one long row down the side of the ground, which was absolutely heaving, with Partizan fans crowding the walkways and stairwells. Scarves were being nicked and a couple of guys got up and made slitting throat gestures towards us.
When the team came out to warm up they were pelted with ball bearings and they looked petrified. They carried that fear into the game, which speaks for itself. Near the end, at 4-0 down we broke away and its the only time I have ever prayed for us not to score.
Luckily we were leaving for the airport from the ground and so I and some others legged it for the bus. We got back to the chartered plane and the crew, believing we would walk through, had decorated it with blue and white streamers. We had to wait for the team to arrive and we finished off the beer on board before they got there.
During the flight back Mullery blew his top with some of the players who were mingling with the fans or joining in with our songs and, I believe he had another bust up back at Luton where, again my memory is poor, I believe he was pinned up against a wall by one of the squad.
Wombat will correct my mistakes and fill in the blanks.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2018 12:18]
worst away day? on 12:52 - Apr 26 with 3020 viewsDannyPaddox

Brian William's Beard. Superb read. Thanks for sharing. Hope Wombat can add. And of course if you or anyone else has a Reykjavik prequel. And if anyone's got any recollections from Bergen, Bratislava, Cologne, Athens (I'd like to say etc. but that's it.)
worst away day? on 16:19 - Apr 26 with 2898 viewsGalileo

worst away day? on 12:52 - Apr 26 by DannyPaddox

Brian William's Beard. Superb read. Thanks for sharing. Hope Wombat can add. And of course if you or anyone else has a Reykjavik prequel. And if anyone's got any recollections from Bergen, Bratislava, Cologne, Athens (I'd like to say etc. but that's it.)

Equally Athens must have been an absolute sickener for those who travelled after winning the 1st leg 3-0, one of my first games at LR.
worst away day? on 16:54 - Apr 26 with 2869 viewsericgen34

Southampton away in 1995, we lost 2-0

I was recovering from a (benign) tumour being removed from my face, which was all swollen and sore, had some fever from a nasty flu but went anyway because I wanted to my dad, who was over from France for a few days, to finally see the Rs . Shit seat, shit stadium and shit result. Also terrible toilets and a massive queue at half time which nearly got me pissing myself. My dad wasn't impressed
worst away day? on 10:18 - Apr 27 with 2681 viewsGalileo

worst away day? on 16:54 - Apr 26 by ericgen34

Southampton away in 1995, we lost 2-0

I was recovering from a (benign) tumour being removed from my face, which was all swollen and sore, had some fever from a nasty flu but went anyway because I wanted to my dad, who was over from France for a few days, to finally see the Rs . Shit seat, shit stadium and shit result. Also terrible toilets and a massive queue at half time which nearly got me pissing myself. My dad wasn't impressed

How about Swansea away in the cup 2001 ?
Sunday evening ko at the Vetchfield - lost 4-0 to a team a league below us ( same old)

Pubs were very much locals only and the kiosk in the ground was hosted by a woman peering out through a gap in a metal cage. Very poor stadium ( not been to the new one) but it makes you think even though LR is showing it's age, it is miles ahead of some of the crap places we've been to over the years.
worst away day? on 12:21 - Apr 27 with 2623 viewsTheChef

worst away day? on 10:18 - Apr 27 by Galileo

Sunday evening ko at the Vetchfield - lost 4-0 to a team a league below us ( same old)

Pubs were very much locals only and the kiosk in the ground was hosted by a woman peering out through a gap in a metal cage. Very poor stadium ( not been to the new one) but it makes you think even though LR is showing it's age, it is miles ahead of some of the crap places we've been to over the years.

That was awful enough watching it on telly, let alone actually being there!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

worst away day? on 12:44 - Apr 27 with 2608 viewsOakR

As others have mentioned the Coventry away game where Impey got sent off was one of the worst.

I remember the nutcase mentioned above at the Port Vale game who jumped into their fans - all a bit surreal.

For a different reason, I would go with a last day of the season match at Bradford. I think we lost 3-0 and I think it was an early KO. I remember sitting there wondering what on earth I was doing and why I'd bothered.

Poll: Will we stay up?

worst away day? on 14:56 - Apr 27 with 2543 viewswestberksr

worst away day? on 08:52 - Nov 25 by MrSheen

Did you leave before Tony Scully's last minute piledriver? Shame on you!

First time I'd seen Dean Windass. Much too good for Steve Morrow.

was probably our goal of the season and the only time he had a shot on target!

shite day out though.

Huddersfield, Coventry 96, Foolham when Taraabt caught the bus, a few other cold Northern days out. Brizzle away when I thought we'd blown promotion and Tony Thorp missed a sitter.

all of the above memories are a bit blurred and possible low on accuracy!
worst away day? on 20:59 - Apr 27 with 2429 viewsYorkRanger

Nice to see this thread resurrected and great Belgrade story...
worst away day? on 18:02 - Apr 28 with 2293 viewsTGRRRSSS

worst away day? on 10:18 - Apr 27 by Galileo

Swansea away in 2001 at the Vetch (not the Swansea of today at all) yet we lost in those grey and black shirts, with a terrifying striking duo of DouDou and Leroy Griffiths... I forget who else played but dire we were - also on TV if I recall so little surprise in hindsight a disaster happened.
Think Sky had some FA Cup rights then.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 18:03]
worst away day? on 18:04 - Apr 28 with 2291 viewsTGRRRSSS

As an aside regarding Port Vale game (I was there and remember it well) didn't they still end up going down that season?
worst away day? on 18:45 - Apr 28 with 2272 viewsstowmarketrange

worst away day? on 18:04 - Apr 28 by TGRRRSSS

As an aside regarding Port Vale game (I was there and remember it well) didn't they still end up going down that season?

No they stayed up that year,and so did we after beating palarse 6-0.When you look at the teams in the division that year it’s very surprising at where some of them are now.
Stockport,Bury And Port Vale were all playing championship football that year.
I just looked at the table for that year and 4 clubs finished on 47 points.Portsmouth,us,Port Vale And Bury.Bury we’re relegated on goals scored rather than goal difference.They were 5 goals better than Vale but hadn’t scored as many.Tough one to take that.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2018 18:52]
worst away day? on 00:03 - Apr 29 with 2198 viewsalexferguson60

There are a few, but here we go:

1. Losing to Port Vale 2-0 in the 98/99 season. Horrible atmosphere, horrible game, Carl Griffiths is a nob. Guy next to me with the QPR embossed onto a British flag was crying his eyes out. A QPR fan hugged him and said: "We're going to be alright. West Brom just scored against Bury". And so he was right.
2. Cardiff Play-Off Final. I was knackered from being at the Homelands Dance Music Festival the night before. Lost 1-0. Nearly got left at Newport by my mates on a coach, who'd forgotten I was on the coach back with them.
3. Luton 0-1 Zesh Rehman 0G. I was so angry that game that I even ruined a friendship or two in the process in the phonecalls after that. Not my proudest moment.
4. Hull 0-4 this season. Turned up full of hope after we'd played well away for almost 4 games to find out we didn't have a striker. I stayed until the end. Stupid me.
5. Forest 0-4 this season. Went with a bunch of friends up to the City Ground for my stag do. One of my friends was full of MDMA before he even got to the ground. At least HE had a good time.
6. Reading 0-0 the season we went down. Terrible game, and after it, both sides realised that they'd relegated each other. And no-one realised until we were walking back to that epic pub, the Holiday Inn.
7. Went to Chesterfield when we won 4-2 (2003) and once where we lost 4-2. The one where we won was OK, although the open terrace and the wind, rain, snow, sleet and sunshine were something to behold. Shittu got sent off for an horrific challenge (he scored earlier). We were put into a pub and got our names taken. My Greek mate told the coppers he was a Greek student and ended up in a strip club. He came back to the pub white as a sheet. It was shit because of the way we were treated.
8. Grimsby 0-1 98/99 season. Everything about that game on that Tuesday night was pure excrement. And cold.
9. Sheffield United 1-2 99/00 season. When Dave Thomas was basically attacked by the Sheffield United stewards for selling AKUTR. I asked the copper to help do something about it and he actually looked away from the scene. We were awful too, which didn't help.
10. Brentford 1-2 this season. It wasn't so much the result as a bloke who had obviously had too much of the Colombian marching powder becoming Mr Angry for 90 mins, yelling at everyone wearing the Hoops. I'm sure he's a really nice bloke, but that day, he was a bell-end.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024