Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! 20:13 - Feb 8 with 5970 viewsbosh67

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us!

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 10:54 - Feb 9 with 1425 viewscollegeranger

School End is the one with no real identity - Name that after Stan!
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 11:06 - Feb 9 with 1411 viewsRSoul

Other fans don't deserve to sit in the Stan Bowles End.
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 11:21 - Feb 9 with 1401 viewsjamois

I'm surprised by the protectionism of the Loft! It's Stan ffs, why wouldn't we? The man was a maverick, it just wouldn't be appropriate to name a posh side stand after him. The Loft end is where it belongs if anywhere.

On another note, guaranteed they'll be looking to allocate names to sponsors in any new stadium. If Stan is already in situ they won't be able to get rid of it.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 12:21 - Feb 9 with 1350 viewswhittocksRs

Ellerslie could be renamed the Stan Bowles Stand, but I wouldn't want us changing the Loft's name — too iconic and historic.
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 13:56 - Feb 9 with 1282 viewsPinnerPaul

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 11:21 - Feb 9 by jamois

I'm surprised by the protectionism of the Loft! It's Stan ffs, why wouldn't we? The man was a maverick, it just wouldn't be appropriate to name a posh side stand after him. The Loft end is where it belongs if anywhere.

On another note, guaranteed they'll be looking to allocate names to sponsors in any new stadium. If Stan is already in situ they won't be able to get rid of it.

Disagree - I think "The Stan Bowles Stand sponsored by William Hill" would be perfect!
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 16:14 - Feb 9 with 1221 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The Loft STANd.

The idea of naming blocks after legendary players in theory, is a great idea. Only problem is, there are 44 blocks at QPR and we haven't got 44 legends, which is in sharp contrast to the load of ol' bolocks we've had over the years.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 16:46 - Feb 9 with 1205 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 16:14 - Feb 9 by PlanetHonneywood

The Loft STANd.

The idea of naming blocks after legendary players in theory, is a great idea. Only problem is, there are 44 blocks at QPR and we haven't got 44 legends, which is in sharp contrast to the load of ol' bolocks we've had over the years.

Nobody said they all had to be named now. Got to save at least one for Hoilett after Canada wins the World Cup.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 16:56 - Feb 9 with 1195 viewsBklynRanger

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 12:21 - Feb 9 by whittocksRs

Ellerslie could be renamed the Stan Bowles Stand, but I wouldn't want us changing the Loft's name — too iconic and historic.

That's basically how I feel. Naming the Ellerslie after Stan - seems quite doable and would be a great gesture.

BUT you do run into the problem of considering other people, the most obvious one for me being Macca. I know Bowles holds an iconic status at QPR and justifiably so, but Macca played far more games for far longer than Stan did. It's tricky. Sorry if that's already been posted.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 17:20]
Login to get fewer ads

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:24 - Feb 9 with 1177 viewsPunteR

I'd prefer to keep it the Loft. I like the idea of naming blocks after legends though.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:35 - Feb 9 with 1170 viewsDannyPaddox

Naming blocks after legends is a top idea. I'd also like to see the urinals brought into play. Barton, Bosingwa, Traore all deserve lasting recognition via the medium of personalised porcelain. Maybe we could have 'The Class of 2015 Khasi'
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 17:37]
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:46 - Feb 9 with 1157 viewsPunteR

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:35 - Feb 9 by DannyPaddox

Naming blocks after legends is a top idea. I'd also like to see the urinals brought into play. Barton, Bosingwa, Traore all deserve lasting recognition via the medium of personalised porcelain. Maybe we could have 'The Class of 2015 Khasi'

Ha ha.. Genius.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:46 - Feb 9 with 1157 viewsdaveB

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 16:14 - Feb 9 by PlanetHonneywood

The Loft STANd.

We've got more than 44 legends.

Off the top of my head you could have FranK Sibley, George Goddard, Rodney Marsh, Les Allen, Mark Lazurus, Mick leach, Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Don Givens, Dave Webb, Phil parkes, Don Shanks, Les Ferdinand, Clive Allen, Gary Waddock, Alan Mcdonald, Gary Bannister, Ian Holloway, Danny maddix, Ray Wilkins, Marc Bircham, Andy Sinton, Dave Bardsley, Clive Wilson, Paul Furlong, Kevin Gallen, Shaun Derry, Adel Taarabt, Charlie Austin, Paul Parker and Reg Allen. That's over 30 with half the 76 team missing
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:49 - Feb 9 with 1153 viewsBoston

Why not initiate a lawn bowling competition during the summer months, The First Inagural Annual Stan Bowles Bowl?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 06:49 - Feb 10 with 1055 viewsjohnhoop

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 11:21 - Feb 9 by jamois

Posh side stands!? I'm assuming you have been in the Ellerslie? I've got an ST there and about the last word I'd use to describe it would be "posh".
Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 09:35 - Feb 10 with 1021 viewsjamois

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 06:49 - Feb 10 by johnhoop

Posh side stands!? I'm assuming you have been in the Ellerslie? I've got an ST there and about the last word I'd use to describe it would be "posh".

And I'm an R blocker of many years standing! How can you say it's not posh?! You get serenaded by a choir at the back, people queue for the toilets, what more do you want? I'm not saying it's posh, just that side stands are generally seen as such, and that peeps were suggesting he be given SA Rd. Now that IS posh. On reflection with this whole thing though, I don't think it's feasible. Too many players deserve it over the years. I love Stan I do, but then there's Gerry, Macca, and all the other legends debated in that thread the other week.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 09:53 - Feb 10 with 925 viewsMick_S

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:35 - Feb 9 by DannyPaddox

What about the Harry Redknapp can't stand?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 09:54 - Feb 10 with 925 viewsQPunkR

Christ, the queue for the Barton and Bosingwa shitters would be a mile long!

QPR - "shit but local"

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 10:36 - Feb 10 with 900 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rename the Loft in honour of Stan Bowles while he is with us! on 17:46 - Feb 9 by daveB

We've got more than 44 legends.

Off the top of my head you could have FranK Sibley, George Goddard, Rodney Marsh, Les Allen, Mark Lazurus, Mick leach, Gerry Francis, Stan Bowles, Don Givens, Dave Webb, Phil parkes, Don Shanks, Les Ferdinand, Clive Allen, Gary Waddock, Alan Mcdonald, Gary Bannister, Ian Holloway, Danny maddix, Ray Wilkins, Marc Bircham, Andy Sinton, Dave Bardsley, Clive Wilson, Paul Furlong, Kevin Gallen, Shaun Derry, Adel Taarabt, Charlie Austin, Paul Parker and Reg Allen. That's over 30 with half the 76 team missing

Well I am not sure I'd apply legendary status to some on your list like say, Messrs Webb, Shanks, Bannister, Maddix, Wilkins, Sinton, Bardsley, Wilson, Derry, Austin, Taarabt and even one of my all time fave Hoops, Clive Allen and the lovely chap who wrote the forward to my book.

I think many from your list are probably more folklore/heroes of their time. Yes, some great moments and some great players and God knows over the last few years, if we'd had more of the players you listed in our set-up, we wouldn't be in the mess we have been. But legendary?

Legends I would agree from your list are Goddard, Marsh, Lazarus, Gerry, Bowles, Macca, Ollie (just and that's because of his managerial period). I'd throw in Ingram, Jim Gregory, Venables, Sexton, Stock, Daphne and even Warnock. Good shouts maybe for Sombrero de Magico as well because he really was one of us.

Love these debates on who is or isn't a QPR legend. But it all comes down to what the definition of a legend is. Which is something often difficult to agree on in comparison to what constitutes a completely useless so-and-so of which we've had a fair few over the years.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024