Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York 14:30 - Feb 19 with 22769 viewsYorkRanger

First trip in March. We have all the usual tourist stuff planned, however as usual the LFW insight will be much valued
New York on 20:12 - Feb 19 with 4552 viewsMaggsinho

Another vote for Top of the Rock over ESB here.

If you're interested in the history of New York the Tenement Museum on the LES, it's an old tenement from the 19th century that housed poor working class families and was found untouched in the 80s, fascinating.
New York on 20:26 - Feb 19 with 4533 viewsHarrowRoadR

New York on 20:12 - Feb 19 by Maggsinho

If you're interested in the history of New York the Tenement Museum on the LES, it's an old tenement from the 19th century that housed poor working class families and was found untouched in the 80s, fascinating.

The tenament museum is very good, I saw that the last time I was there, my daughter lives in Brooklyn. Made a note to self though, don't visit Boston in February as I did last year, had to leave early because of the snow.
New York on 20:33 - Feb 19 with 4524 viewsthame_hoops

New York on 20:12 - Feb 19 by Maggsinho

We got a New York pass for 4 days and did both, one daytime and one nighttime. The pass is great value and includes most attractions
New York on 21:39 - Feb 19 with 4490 viewsted_hendrix

Must have done the Big Apple about half a dozen times, used to use it as a two day stop over before flying South to do the road trips.
Pretty much what others have said is as usual good advice but if you're a bit of a John Lennon fan like me Strawberry Fields is a must.
Daft this thing though, we got a bus from Central Park all the way down to Battery Park and the driver was everything you used to see on those Kojac type of programmes, he was so American/Italian he actually shouted at some bloke who nearly stepped in front of the bus "I'm driving here you fck" in other words get the bus not the subway, its a lesson in itself.
I think NYC is both brilliant and manic, keep out of BB Kings bar on 42nd Street though It must be the most expensive bar in the World.
There's a hot dog seller near Strawberry Fields just opposite the Dakota buildings, best hot dogs in the World, mind you its been a few Years since I've been so the bloke has probably been whacked by Paulie Walnuts by now.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

New York on 22:12 - Feb 19 with 4463 viewsBoston

The U.S. is full of interesting things to the British eye. As one or two posters on the boards can testify when I've taken them to my favourite restaurant, The Pu Pu Hot Pot and joined me in ordering a big plate of steaming hot Pu Pu. Sadly all good things must pass and the Pu Pu went on its way, but joy to myself all my Americana loving friends, The Plop Plop market has opened up just around the corner from me.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

New York on 04:29 - Feb 20 with 4397 viewsisawqpratwcity

New York on 20:05 - Feb 19 by HollowayRanger

world trade centre use to be great for views

cant believe I went and missed an aircraft carrier!!!

was sharing a room with 3 girls mind

Come back soon, Holloway!
XXXXXX

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

New York on 07:40 - Feb 20 with 4373 viewsYorkRanger

New York on 20:10 - Feb 19 by BklynRanger

That's funny, I worked there for 3 years, Boston.

Other than a few comments and an American football thrown at my head I never got any real shit off anybody. I became pretty convinced that they either just shoot you or they leave you alone, no middle ground scuffles and fisticuffs nonsense.

And what is going on with that list further up? Very gracious but is the woman on meth or summat?!

Many thanks for all the tips so far.
New York on 07:45 - Feb 20 with 4370 viewsBostonR

New York on 07:40 - Feb 20 by YorkRanger

Many thanks for all the tips so far.

Still spend a lot of time in NY so know the City well. If you have some dollars to spare have dinner at the best restaurant in NY - The Gotham Bar and Grill. You may find yourself having a cocktail next to a real A list celeb.
Login to get fewer ads

New York on 10:20 - Feb 20 with 4337 viewswestberksr

New York on 15:13 - Feb 19 by hoof_hearted

Don't plan any shows in the evenings for a few days or you'll just fall asleep!

Best restaurant I found there was The Stanton Social. Stumbled on it and never known any other travellers go there but it is worth the trip. Lower East Side.

http://thestantonsocial.com/

Stanton Social is a Great place in a good area for bars, went there a few years ago.

If you like 'southern' style food and decent music then the Red Rooster in Harlem is great. Prebook as its very popular, when we were there the vocalist was Alyson Williams (Sleeptalk on Defjam circa 1988), she was absolutely made up that I had her album, saw her at Hammersmith and the Jazz Cafe a few years ago, sat chatting for ages.
New York on 10:45 - Feb 20 with 4331 viewsDevonrrr

New York on 15:11 - Feb 19 by Brightonhoop

Great City, do the Staten Island ferry, best free ride in the world. Wandered from Manhattan to LES and Greenwich Village, lunch in Chinatown, just follow the locals, and Little Italy too is worth a visit.

The first thing that will strike you is everything is American, obviously. Got off the underground at Jamaica Inn from JFK because I felt I was missing too much so went out for a smoke and the junction is similar to scenes in the French Connection with an overground Metro above the road, and just stood there like a mug with my mouth open, it feels like walking onto a film set but its real. This black dude was laughing at me saying 'well well well an NYC virgin; haha.

You'll have a great time.

This absolutely this! Spent the entire time feeling I was on a film set, the noise the smells the buzz, amazing place. Had to get out after a few days though as I was desperate to see the sky again. Over twenty years since I was there but recommend a boat trip round the island its a good way to get your head round the geography of the place, I know some people who did it last year and said it was good. Take the bus, really friendly people, everyone wants to speak to an Australian. Has to be one of the best cities in the world.
New York on 14:16 - Feb 20 with 4290 viewsLadbrokeR

New York on 10:45 - Feb 20 by Devonrrr

This absolutely this! Spent the entire time feeling I was on a film set, the noise the smells the buzz, amazing place. Had to get out after a few days though as I was desperate to see the sky again. Over twenty years since I was there but recommend a boat trip round the island its a good way to get your head round the geography of the place, I know some people who did it last year and said it was good. Take the bus, really friendly people, everyone wants to speak to an Australian. Has to be one of the best cities in the world.

Been there a few times. The east village around st marks and second and around by Tompkins park is a great area for bar hopping. There's a good club called mr Saturday night in Brooklyn and there's a mister Sunday afternoon alfresco in the warmer month. I always go to a sauna called the Russian rooms which is brilliant. I can't explain just google it'. The high line is worth having a walk along. Daves army and navy on 6th avenue is a good place for jeans etc. I once saw basement jaxx at rose lands and had a great night. A long time ago I went to body and soul at vinyl in TriBeCa which has since gone after 9/11. I am bit too young to have made the paradise garage. It's a brilliant place.
New York on 15:11 - Feb 20 with 4273 viewsHayesender

New York on 14:42 - Feb 19 by MrSheen

I took the family to an early evening (5.30 to 7.30?) big band/swing show at the Birdland club, off Broadway at about 50th Street. I had no previous interest in the music and I thought it would be a bit cheesy, but it was brilliant, the playing was so impressive and we had a lot of fun sat in the dark with our cocktails. About $40 and you have to buy a drink and a snack. Really sets you up for a good evening. Unfortunately, as we had a 12-year-old, we couldn't try a comedy club.

Worst thing we did was the Top of The Rock, the viewing gallery on the top floor of the Rockefeller Center. Huge queues for the lift, big scrum at the top for a view through a plastic screen, 20 minute queue to get down and out. Just like getting to work.

Biggest surprise was how good the beer was.

It's a bit of a falsehood that American beer is crap imo.

If you stay clear of the mass produced rubbish, they have some cracking beers

Poll: Shamima Beghum

New York on 15:37 - Feb 20 with 4259 viewsBklynRanger

New York on 15:11 - Feb 20 by Hayesender

It's a bit of a falsehood that American beer is crap imo.

If you stay clear of the mass produced rubbish, they have some cracking beers

One of the very few benefits of the hipster invasion, the spread of good beer at least, probably not the invention - they're mad for their craft brews, IPAs and such.
New York on 15:48 - Feb 20 with 4250 viewstraininvain

New York on 15:37 - Feb 20 by BklynRanger

One of the very few benefits of the hipster invasion, the spread of good beer at least, probably not the invention - they're mad for their craft brews, IPAs and such.

The bar at the top of the Wythe Hotel in Williamsburg, Brooklyn has fantastic views of the Manhattan skyline.

The nearby Peter luger's steak house is like something from Goodfellas or Sopranos. Can imagine John Gotti having dinner in there back in the day, Very old school.
New York on 15:50 - Feb 20 with 4248 viewsLadbrokeR

New York on 15:48 - Feb 20 by traininvain

The bar at the top of the Wythe Hotel in Williamsburg, Brooklyn has fantastic views of the Manhattan skyline.

The nearby Peter luger's steak house is like something from Goodfellas or Sopranos. Can imagine John Gotti having dinner in there back in the day, Very old school.

I am sure that train in vain is a clash track that for years I thought was called stand by me ?
New York on 15:58 - Feb 20 with 3423 viewstraininvain

New York on 15:50 - Feb 20 by LadbrokeR

I am sure that train in vain is a clash track that for years I thought was called stand by me ?

My favourite Clash track.
New York on 23:21 - Feb 21 with 3315 viewsLadbrokeR

New York on 15:58 - Feb 20 by traininvain

My favourite Clash track.

With fear of hijacking the NYC thread I would say:

White man at Hammersmith Palias

Stay free
New York on 23:44 - Feb 21 with 3305 viewsCroydonCaptJack

New York on 23:21 - Feb 21 by LadbrokeR

With fear of hijacking the NYC thread I would say:

White man at Hammersmith Palias

Stay free

Armagideon Time for me.
New York on 00:07 - Feb 22 with 3298 viewsBoston

New York on 23:44 - Feb 21 by CroydonCaptJack

Armagideon Time for me.

My favourite word in the English language.

New York on 00:08 - Feb 22 with 3298 viewsBoston

New York on 20:10 - Feb 19 by BklynRanger

That's funny, I worked there for 3 years, Boston.

Other than a few comments and an American football thrown at my head I never got any real shit off anybody. I became pretty convinced that they either just shoot you or they leave you alone, no middle ground scuffles and fisticuffs nonsense.

And what is going on with that list further up? Very gracious but is the woman on meth or summat?!

Are you a funeral director, Brookers?

New York on 02:26 - Feb 22 with 3275 viewsFredManRave

New York on 00:07 - Feb 22 by Boston

My favourite word in the English language.

It's not all about you, Boston.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

New York on 12:41 - Feb 22 with 3231 viewsYorkRanger

very helpful folks, although moving off piste slightly now
New York on 18:23 - Feb 22 with 3182 viewsBklynRanger

New York on 00:08 - Feb 22 by Boston

Are you a funeral director, Brookers?

No mate, why, do you need to get rid of a body?
New York on 20:57 - Mar 3 with 3077 viewsqpr1976

New York on 23:44 - Feb 21 by CroydonCaptJack

Armagideon Time for me.

Straight to Hell, but there are loads in all honesty.
New York on 00:22 - Mar 4 with 3032 viewsCroydonCaptJack

New York on 20:57 - Mar 3 by qpr1976

Straight to Hell, but there are loads in all honesty.

There certainly are mate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024