Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? 08:39 - Jul 22 with 14641 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Meant to ask this question a few times but this article prompted me. It's a decent thought process without being brilliant from a journalist who is brave though not always logical, but I found it interesting and it's prompted me to finally ask you good people - what is it about Corbyn that scares the Guardian?

http://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2016-07-22/why-corbyn-so-terrifies-the-guardia

I don't read the paper as much as I used to but I follow it on facebook and there's a daily 'cut-and-paste'-type hate-Corbyn article that's almost Orwellian at this stage.

Is the Guardian no longer left-wing?
Is it personal?
Do they support an opponent in particular?
Is he dangerous? Or dangerously bad?

I'd really appreciate any insight.

Now, where's that music thread...
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 8:40]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 11:55 - Jul 22 with 1641 viewsNW5Hoop

"So the Guardian, being an establishment institution, is reflecting the establishment's general encouragement of a narrowing of what is and isn't allowed in terms of thought, ideology and possibility."

Let's have a think about that for a moment, shall we. That would be the same Guardian that published the Snowden papers and had the security services coming to our offices to perform a court ordered destruction of some our computers as a result. The same Guardian that published Wikileaks. The same Guardian that published the Panama Papers.

Yes, damn right we're all about protecting the establishment at all costs.

*Rolls eyes*
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:15 - Jul 22 with 1599 viewsAntti_Heinola

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 11:54 - Jul 22 by Discodroids

Friends , I have the strong impression that Friend Steve is a Far-Right infiltrator in to this Progressive Left forum.

Friends, as you all know , I am a member of the Progressive Left and have been so since before I was born, and indeed, even earlier than that. I enjoy the way Friend Guardian yesterday Circumnavigated the political tightrope by demanding the labour party recognise the democratic mandate Corbyn has from the members and at the same time screaming that the Brexit vote should be overturned.

Let us, friends, ignore that tiny handful of 17,410,742 Far-Right racist, bigoted, uneducated old Fascists, who had the effrontery to vote against Our EU last month, and instead listen to the people who really matter, e.g. Our Young People, who were far too busy working 95-hour weeks on Zero Hour Contracts in compulsory Foodbanks to vote in what was in any case, a totally rigged and undemocratic so-called Referendum under the Tory Junta.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 11:56]

where did it scream the brexit vote should be overturned? missed that!

Bare bones.

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:21 - Jul 22 with 1589 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 11:54 - Jul 22 by Discodroids

Friends , I have the strong impression that Friend Steve is a Far-Right infiltrator in to this Progressive Left forum.

Friends, as you all know , I am a member of the Progressive Left and have been so since before I was born, and indeed, even earlier than that. I enjoy the way Friend Guardian yesterday Circumnavigated the political tightrope by demanding the labour party recognise the democratic mandate Corbyn has from the members and at the same time screaming that the Brexit vote should be overturned.

Let us, friends, ignore that tiny handful of 17,410,742 Far-Right racist, bigoted, uneducated old Fascists, who had the effrontery to vote against Our EU last month, and instead listen to the people who really matter, e.g. Our Young People, who were far too busy working 95-hour weeks on Zero Hour Contracts in compulsory Foodbanks to vote in what was in any case, a totally rigged and undemocratic so-called Referendum under the Tory Junta.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 11:56]

You do make me chuckle, Mr. Disco.

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:28 - Jul 22 with 1559 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Enjoying reading the replies and there are some very good ones.

Mind you, I think most people read the question as 'Why Do I Hate Corbyn?'

I like Corbyn, I freely admit. I like his principles and I like that he seems at least to have the integrity to stick to them. To some that may make him old-fashioned, if so then that probably tells us more about new-fashioned politics than anything else. To some that may make him unelectable, but we pick our own course through life and our worth is not always determined by how many follow us.

Thanks NW5 in particular. I'll keep more of an eye in future - there's a chance that the anti-Corbyn pieces hit my eye more than the pro ones, I suppose, so I may be unintentionally deceiving myself on this one.

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:29 - Jul 22 with 1548 viewsDiscodroids

Friend Antti and Friend Bri,

Im just indulging in personal myrth as I did with my own party on here with UKIP considering Friend Neil Hamilton as the leader, and thus signing their own death warrant.

In a world where People who haven't seen their 90 year old neighbour for 6 weeks and can suddenly smell rotting meat coming through the Farrow and ball painted walls , and their first worry is the affect it will have on their house price , its just a playful barb, friends.

Friends, Im merely a conduit. A right of Center Charles Xavier plugged into the Altered States Martix. travelling the eponymous portal of the left wing Tesseract with surgical strikes of Banality due to the residual damage of MDMA and the Coca Plant in the wilderness years 1989 -2008. Alas Im Not Walter Cronkite, just a verbose poor old man who loves his Queens Park Rangers Football club and most of you lot as well.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:32 - Jul 22 with 1541 viewsDiscodroids

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:15 - Jul 22 by Antti_Heinola

where did it scream the brexit vote should be overturned? missed that!

Friend Antti, i believe it was Friend Polly Toynbee.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 12:32]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:35 - Jul 22 with 1531 viewsNW5Hoop

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:32 - Jul 22 by Discodroids

Friend Antti, i believe it was Friend Polly Toynbee.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 12:32]

Then it wasn't "the Guardian" calling for it. It was Polly Toynbee who writes as an individual expressing her own views, which is what columnists do.

When I write pieces saying Tony Fernandes is a disaster, you all understand that's my view, not the Guardian's. I don't get why people don't seem to get that the same applies with political columnists.
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:36 - Jul 22 with 1523 viewsDiscodroids

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:35 - Jul 22 by NW5Hoop

Then it wasn't "the Guardian" calling for it. It was Polly Toynbee who writes as an individual expressing her own views, which is what columnists do.

When I write pieces saying Tony Fernandes is a disaster, you all understand that's my view, not the Guardian's. I don't get why people don't seem to get that the same applies with political columnists.

Thank you, Friend Nw5hoop.

Login to get fewer ads

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:41 - Jul 22 with 1515 viewsCliff

A couple of things, firstly who says that Corbyn is unelectable? - he's appears to me to have been elected to lead the labour party by the both the biggest majority combined with the highest number of voters that have ever elected a party leader in this country. Also note that in the two days leading up to the deadline to vote in the latest leadership election, more NEW people paid to be full members of the Labour party than there are members of the Tory party!

Secondly, as you may have guessed, I have left wing leanings and I'm often asked what's the point of having a leader if he's unelectable? well perhaps the question we should be asking is what's the point of have a left wing party that has no left wing credentials? I'm one of those that firmly believe that that under Blair the Labour party became the Tory-lite, and it's about time we had a proper labour party - and yes even if that means it is unelectable. Those that don't want to vote for a left wing party or the Tories always have the Liberals to rely on.

Finally on the subject of electability, Plaid Cymru and the SNP put out left wing manifesto's and they seem to be able to attract votes. In short in my view it's not a case of Corbyn being out of touch with the party, it's the majority of Labour MPs who are out of touch with the majority of Labour members.
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:44 - Jul 22 with 1501 viewsAntti_Heinola

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:35 - Jul 22 by NW5Hoop

What he said.

I feel warm that we're friends though.

Bare bones.

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:45 - Jul 22 with 1497 viewsBrightonhoop

I think it's been a good paper in the past but is losing it. It always seems to back the Liberal Party at election time making it's standard day to day fare redundant for me. Have'nt bout it for about a decade, and have to say Huff Post is stealing its thunder. Polly Toynbee for example, is a journalist I cannot abide, far more so though than any reactionary in the Mail or Torygraph. I dont know why that is. Or if it is still viable amongst the thought police to criticize a woman without being labelled a misogynist, a situation exacrebated by Eagle constantly bleating to such an extent where she seems to be crying wolf. The advice given to her by the police to not hold constituency surgeries now seems to have been initiated and sought by her, not on direct evidenced based advice from the police on a basis of risk. Her misrepresentations are verging on fraud and are extremely disrespectful to the memory of woman MP murdered last month.

On the 'hating' Corbyn question, I'm not convinced they do, I think they largely do not understand him and his popularity, and to an extent many are scared he represents things they dont have a clue about. He doesn't fit any particular mold, not even a loony lefty. He has the intellectual capacity of Michael Foot but with far greater appeal, no duffel coat and the ability to challenge and seek to hold to account all, like the Banks, that the Tories have failed too. When Major lost the plot with the EU in fighting on the tories back then, Prescott and Blair seized the opportunity to change Clause 4, and shifted to the middle ground. Cameron did the same so there seemed to be so little difference between the two parties either side could have won in 2010, but these are very different times.

The Out vote showed people will vote for change, even if it is to their detriment, for anything, anyone, that threatens the dull status quo that exists, and for anyone that represents change. The frightening thing for the establishment, which has always been true, is they are few, and we are many. Corbyn is absolutely electable like a breath of fresh air to many, and is massiveley respected beyond UK's shores. The fact he has not got a nailed down 'media persona' like Blair or Cameron is a huge advantage to him and makes him all the more appealing. Times are changing chaps. Interesting and changing times in equal measure, I think it is the Guardian's lurch to the middle ground post Rusbridger that has left it floundering as a once great paper, despite still having some excellent writers.
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:45 - Jul 22 with 1489 viewsDiscodroids

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:44 - Jul 22 by Antti_Heinola

What he said.

I feel warm that we're friends though.

Me too, Friend.

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:55 - Jul 22 with 1472 viewshoof_hearted

I think, in summary, they are effectively saying that the Liberal Party represents the views of more traditional Labour voters closer than the Labour party does. The sad thing is that many people vote for anything in a red rosette (or blue rosette) without understanding why.
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:58 - Jul 22 with 1465 viewsstevec

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 11:42 - Jul 22 by DannytheR

You don't need the apostrophe on thickos, Steve.

Oh blloks, that's blown my entire fckin argument out the water.

Cheers though Danny, I bow to your superior (left wing) intellect.
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:02 - Jul 22 with 1448 viewsKonk

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 12:41 - Jul 22 by Cliff

A couple of things, firstly who says that Corbyn is unelectable? - he's appears to me to have been elected to lead the labour party by the both the biggest majority combined with the highest number of voters that have ever elected a party leader in this country. Also note that in the two days leading up to the deadline to vote in the latest leadership election, more NEW people paid to be full members of the Labour party than there are members of the Tory party!

Secondly, as you may have guessed, I have left wing leanings and I'm often asked what's the point of having a leader if he's unelectable? well perhaps the question we should be asking is what's the point of have a left wing party that has no left wing credentials? I'm one of those that firmly believe that that under Blair the Labour party became the Tory-lite, and it's about time we had a proper labour party - and yes even if that means it is unelectable. Those that don't want to vote for a left wing party or the Tories always have the Liberals to rely on.

Finally on the subject of electability, Plaid Cymru and the SNP put out left wing manifesto's and they seem to be able to attract votes. In short in my view it's not a case of Corbyn being out of touch with the party, it's the majority of Labour MPs who are out of touch with the majority of Labour members.

I joined the Labour party specifically to vote for Corbyn as leader, because I wanted Labour shifted back to the left. I hoped the PLP would twig on and present a genuine anti-austerity program. Since then, I have to say that I find it quite painful at times watching Corbyn in the Commons or in interviews, he’s deeply uncharismatic and I do think that will be an issue when it comes to winning power. I just can’t see him leading the country, and I’m someone who wanted him to lead the Labour party rather than the alternatives available at the time. A protest vote in a way, against the direction Labour had taken, and I have several friends who joined up for the same reason.

The fact that the SNP have done brilliantly on an anti-austerity platform against a Labour party that wasn’t serious in its opposition to the often ideologically based cuts, surely just demonstrates that there remains a strong appetite for progressive policies amongst urban Scots that’s always been there? They’ve just switched to a party offering old Labour views on social justice.

To win power under our electoral system, Corbyn needs to convince middle England that he can lead the country and I just don’t see that happening in a million years. It’s great that the membership numbers have exploded and hopefully that will give genuine Labour people the confidence to be more ambitious and progressive in their policy making, but sadly for Corbyn, I just don’t see him winning support in the marginal constituencies that count. It’s no good getting 200,000 hard left members to sign-up who would have voted Labour anyway, if you turn off 1,000,000 middle-Englanders at the same time.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:07 - Jul 22 with 1252 viewsrobith

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 10:52 - Jul 22 by LazyFan

Hi,
I am afraid they do hate him. And not because he will lose any elections, as they do not like Labour at all and have not for some time. For the past 3 elections that have not endorsed Labour fully and for the past two not at all.

This image from the Guardian itself proves it:

While the image does not show the 2015 result, I have seen it before on the Guardians website, I just could not find it again. But it shows them supporting the Liberals again. As you work there please feel free to supply the latest image so, all of us can see how the Guardian is no longer a Labour supporting paper.

So, when Labour needed them most the Guardian was not there for them. And this is way before Corbyn obtained the Leadership.

Once you see the evidence from the Guardian itself, you can clearly see that it is no longer a paper of the Left. In fact if you take the 2015 election into account the majority of the Election support over time has been against Labour, not for it.

The only paper that consistently supports Labour is the Mirror. The rest all support Big Business in one form or another. Thus for a Left wing movement to make any gains in our so called democratic society, it has to take on almost the entire might of the establishment and its propaganda machine to make any in roads. Not easy especially when the Guardian pretends to be with you and in the end at the crunch time is against you.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Point of information, but the Guardian backed Miliband in 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/01/guardian-gives-its-support-to-labo
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:10 - Jul 22 with 1247 viewsGloucs_R

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:02 - Jul 22 by Konk

I joined the Labour party specifically to vote for Corbyn as leader, because I wanted Labour shifted back to the left. I hoped the PLP would twig on and present a genuine anti-austerity program. Since then, I have to say that I find it quite painful at times watching Corbyn in the Commons or in interviews, he’s deeply uncharismatic and I do think that will be an issue when it comes to winning power. I just can’t see him leading the country, and I’m someone who wanted him to lead the Labour party rather than the alternatives available at the time. A protest vote in a way, against the direction Labour had taken, and I have several friends who joined up for the same reason.

The fact that the SNP have done brilliantly on an anti-austerity platform against a Labour party that wasn’t serious in its opposition to the often ideologically based cuts, surely just demonstrates that there remains a strong appetite for progressive policies amongst urban Scots that’s always been there? They’ve just switched to a party offering old Labour views on social justice.

To win power under our electoral system, Corbyn needs to convince middle England that he can lead the country and I just don’t see that happening in a million years. It’s great that the membership numbers have exploded and hopefully that will give genuine Labour people the confidence to be more ambitious and progressive in their policy making, but sadly for Corbyn, I just don’t see him winning support in the marginal constituencies that count. It’s no good getting 200,000 hard left members to sign-up who would have voted Labour anyway, if you turn off 1,000,000 middle-Englanders at the same time.

I can see a split in the Labour party and the creation of another party or people moving to the Lib Dems. Which is great for people like me who are comfortably right wing.

I think the rise of UKIP has shown that some traditional Labour supporters are not really Left.

I personally like Corbyn in a school teacher way...I was listening to the radio and they summed it up "he's happier protesting and demonstrating than leading!"

British politics going to change massively over the next few years.

On the subject of politics, does the US only have 2 parties?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:14 - Jul 22 with 1236 viewsrobith

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 10:33 - Jul 22 by Gloucs_R

Do any of you really believe in the whole socialist thing? If so, what do you think would be a fair tax on earnings?

I veer between knowing whether I'm an out and out socialist or a traitorous social democrat, but broadly speaking yeah.

My hackneyed thoughts on tax is that we should use parliament's legislative power to raise the incomes of those at the lowest (an actual living wage, not just calling an amount you can't live on a living wage a la Gorgeous George) end of the income spectrum, and increasing the tax threshold further. I would reinstate the 50% rate on over £150,000. By increasing the available income to the people at the bottom will have a massive impact on the strength of our overall economy as people with less money spend more of it than save which stimulates growth.

That brings us to the real problem however which is not income, but wealth, which has increasingly become the cholesterol clot in the blood stream of Western economies. Wiser men than me have better solutions, but a lot of our problems would be solved with a 100% inheritance tax
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:17 - Jul 22 with 1221 viewsrobith

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:10 - Jul 22 by Gloucs_R

I can see a split in the Labour party and the creation of another party or people moving to the Lib Dems. Which is great for people like me who are comfortably right wing.

I think the rise of UKIP has shown that some traditional Labour supporters are not really Left.

I personally like Corbyn in a school teacher way...I was listening to the radio and they summed it up "he's happier protesting and demonstrating than leading!"

British politics going to change massively over the next few years.

On the subject of politics, does the US only have 2 parties?

There are more than 2, but Duverger's Law causes them to rise to prominence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:18 - Jul 22 with 1217 viewsGloucs_R

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:14 - Jul 22 by robith

I veer between knowing whether I'm an out and out socialist or a traitorous social democrat, but broadly speaking yeah.

My hackneyed thoughts on tax is that we should use parliament's legislative power to raise the incomes of those at the lowest (an actual living wage, not just calling an amount you can't live on a living wage a la Gorgeous George) end of the income spectrum, and increasing the tax threshold further. I would reinstate the 50% rate on over £150,000. By increasing the available income to the people at the bottom will have a massive impact on the strength of our overall economy as people with less money spend more of it than save which stimulates growth.

That brings us to the real problem however which is not income, but wealth, which has increasingly become the cholesterol clot in the blood stream of Western economies. Wiser men than me have better solutions, but a lot of our problems would be solved with a 100% inheritance tax

That last comment made me shudder. For me Inheritance Tax is the scummiest tax in the world, I absolutely despise it. Why should my parents work hard all their lives and then give everything back at the end rather than to their kids? Similar to me and my kids, why should I give anything to anyone else? I worked for it, its my choice on what I do with it.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:18 - Jul 22 with 1217 viewsTGRRRSSS

100% inheritance Tax?

Country would truly be doomed then, what would be the point achieving anything or having kids or whatever?

And those with the most would still find the loopholes anyway and everyone else would be further down the pit.

You might as well give the state the lot then they rent it to you.
Anyone with the most basic level of brains will have long fled the country - satill might sort out the housing in this country...
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:27 - Jul 22 with 1200 viewsCliff

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:02 - Jul 22 by Konk

I agree with a lot of what you say, but politics has degenerated in "sound bite" culture and although I agree Corbyn doesn't shine in that environment I'm not entirely displeased. Who knows if he is given a fair platform by the media, by which I mean not just a more balanced write review but a longer space to put his views across, he might come across very differently to how he is portrayed at present.

I also agree the SNP did brilliantly against an abysmal Labour failed to show a serious alternative to austerity, but that's why a Corbyn is needed to try and match the SNP success south of the border.

With regards to your final paragraph, I suspect you might be right, but personally I would still rather a true left wing opposition party with principles than a Tory-lite party in power.
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:31 - Jul 22 with 1192 viewsCliff

As with most taxes the rich can avoid them, the poor in general cannot.

Rather than Raising the inheritance tax i would like to see someone implement a way of actually collecting it across the board.
Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:49 - Jul 22 with 1162 viewsE17hoop

Corbyn is a leader of principle, not practice. He may want to represent a different kind of politics but doesn't have the capability to make it work.

By capability I mean it in its purest form; capacity and ability. In terms of capacity, the 'mandate' he has from a party membership is meaningless without power. An increase of 200k in a membership in an electorate of 38m is a drop in the ocean.

Ability wise, he may be able to define policy but that's not what his role is; he needs to be able to lead people, including those who disagree with him. If the PLP disagree with him and he can't lead them, what chance dies he have leading people even further removed from his principles?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2016 13:50]

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Why Does The Guardian Hate Corbyn? on 13:50 - Jul 22 with 1153 viewspaulparker

100% inheritance tax !!!!!

wow, so I work for my daughter and her future goes to the Government so they can go and squander it , where's the incentive to do well in life then ? and whats the point in paying tax if you have to hand over everything when you die
barmy

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024