Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Olympics 09:44 - Aug 4 with 18734 viewsRoller

Ignoring the pointless controversy that some sections of the media are trying to stir up over the selection of Andy Murray as the British flag bearer in the opening ceremony, tomorrow sees the official start of the Rio Olympics. I fully expect to enjoy the “festival of sport” and to thoroughly enjoy watch a whole series of sports the I would otherwise not give the time of day to. QPRSki put me onto handball before the London Olympics four years ago, it is a frenetic but very skilful sport, well worth watching if you have never done so. Outside of the usual diet of athletics, cycling, rowing etc, I’ve found myself watching bowls, yachting, even archery.

However, I will not be watching golf, tennis nor football. I firmly believe that these sports should not be included, the Olympics should only feature sports where winning the Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle of the sportsman’s or sportswoman’s career; that will never be the case with these sports.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 9:45]
Olympics on 06:23 - Aug 13 with 2671 viewsjonno

Olympics on 22:04 - Aug 12 by BrianMcCarthy

Great day in Ireland as Gary and Paul O' Donovan - my fellow West Corkonians - win silver, Ireland's first Olympic rowing medal.

Ireland have won too many silvers in the past and they're usually not all that welcome but these two lads have captured the imagination all week with their mix of dedication and laid-back smiling.

Their interviews have been comical over the last few days being refreshingly honest in comparison to the normal understandably stone-faced Q&A's.

Might be hard to understand the accents and might be hard to convey the sense of humour - it's pure pi$$-taking but look them up, they're a howl!

NB. Don't be alarmed by the "Tiocfaidh ár lá" at the end. The IRA aren't the only people to use this phrase, It's literal meaning is "our day will come" and the context here is that their "day" will be when they win gold.

I watched that. Those Irish guys were brilliant, so funny and down to earth, didn't take themselves too seriously like many of the competitors do.
Olympics on 07:41 - Aug 13 with 2664 viewsSydneyRs

Olympics on 11:40 - Aug 12 by Antti_Heinola

Away from Oz, you do get the feeling that some Aussies are just desperate for the rest of the world to notice them.
There's a funny bit in that ep of the Simpsons when they go to Oz and they talk about how when Crocodile Dundee came out that Australia thought the newfound bond between the US and Oz was going to be an ongoing thing.

This is so, so true.

They also completely delude themselves that the world is noticing when in fact it isn't. Guess what, nobody else cares about swimming, or (to a lesser degree) cricket!
Olympics on 10:33 - Aug 13 with 2604 viewsHooparoo

Olympics on 07:41 - Aug 13 by SydneyRs

This is so, so true.

They also completely delude themselves that the world is noticing when in fact it isn't. Guess what, nobody else cares about swimming, or (to a lesser degree) cricket!

Most Aussies I know are realistic about how small we are (22m people) but justifiably proud that we often manage to punch above our weight on the world stage.

We value hard work and guts and will always support our sportspeople if they try their best. Looking forward to the Rs showing those some qualities this season.

As for the Olympics, I doubt there has a been a clean event since the 60s so personally, couldn't give a toss about any of it.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Olympics on 10:59 - Aug 13 with 2594 viewsstevec

Just tuned in and swimming still seems to be going on. That said, an opportunity to see 'the young Mrs Merton' in full flow. A few days late but I tip my hat, Brian, for that observation .
Olympics on 11:11 - Aug 13 with 2583 viewsJamie

Olympics on 02:02 - Aug 12 by jonno

Anybody watching the hockey? It appears now that every time one team gets a corner, the whole game stops for five minutes while the defending team don protective face masks. A bit like cricket when everything stops so close in fielders can put on all their protective gear, but at least cricket is a stop start game, hockey is not meant to be. H&S initiative no doubt.

Not sure it's any different to every football game stopping for 2 minutes per corner for a Slovakian oaf to wander up to the opposition box, grab hold of of his opponents shirt and when the corner hits the first man, commit a tactical foul to lumber back again.
Olympics on 15:59 - Aug 13 with 2499 viewsRoller

Bucket loads of golds to Team GB in rowing and cycling - are there any other sports you can win sitting down?
Olympics on 02:54 - Aug 14 with 2432 viewsisawqpratwcity

Olympics on 10:33 - Aug 13 by Hooparoo

Most Aussies I know are realistic about how small we are (22m people) but justifiably proud that we often manage to punch above our weight on the world stage.

We value hard work and guts and will always support our sportspeople if they try their best. Looking forward to the Rs showing those some qualities this season.

As for the Olympics, I doubt there has a been a clean event since the 60s so personally, couldn't give a toss about any of it.

I'm with you, Hooparoo, but for a slightly different reason.

The Olympics is a sports event that was strapped tightly to the mast of Nationalism by dear old Adolf (not an instance of Godwin's Law) that has subsequently been found to be a very acceptable business model by the IOC, governments, media, advertisers and, tbf, most spectators.

I abhor the hyperbolic, jingo mentality that labels compatriots 'our' competitors, the naked greed for medals, and the callous narrow focus on the podium places.

It makes me want to vomit.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Olympics on 08:49 - Aug 14 with 2360 viewsderbyhoop

Olympics on 15:59 - Aug 13 by Roller

Bucket loads of golds to Team GB in rowing and cycling - are there any other sports you can win sitting down?

Equestrian and sailing.

The Aussie jibe was that the poems only win medals when sitting down.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Login to get fewer ads

Olympics on 09:10 - Aug 14 with 2357 viewsozexile

Olympics on 07:41 - Aug 13 by SydneyRs

This is so, so true.

What's even funnier is that cause the Aussies don't have any athletes during the second week of the Olympics they just show repeats of the swimming from the first week.
Olympics on 16:05 - Aug 16 with 2255 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Michael Conlon just robbed of a medal in his boxing fight. He absolutely out-boxed, out-thought and out-fought his opponent, won all three rounds but was only given one.

Beyond belief. Utterly.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Olympics on 16:27 - Aug 16 with 2222 viewsDiscodroids

At least 50% of interviews with Team GB Athletes on the BBC (radio & tv) ive seen, now end in floods of tears . Its giving me a dull ache in the bollock to see a huge lump in the decathlon from Tipton break down like Micheal Jackson at the end of 'Shes out of my life' , after finishing 18th.

I dont expect the emotional void of Kraftwerk discussing the use of an experimental linear Vocoder on the 'tour de france' 12", but a bit more Decorum wouldn't go amiss .

Your not waving off your kids on the HMS intrepid set For the Falklands.

Having said that , i cried when Hank and Walt died on 'breaking bad'.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 16:27]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Olympics on 16:27 - Aug 16 with 2219 viewsBoston

Olympics on 02:54 - Aug 14 by isawqpratwcity

I'm with you, Hooparoo, but for a slightly different reason.

The Olympics is a sports event that was strapped tightly to the mast of Nationalism by dear old Adolf (not an instance of Godwin's Law) that has subsequently been found to be a very acceptable business model by the IOC, governments, media, advertisers and, tbf, most spectators.

I abhor the hyperbolic, jingo mentality that labels compatriots 'our' competitors, the naked greed for medals, and the callous narrow focus on the podium places.

It makes me want to vomit.

It's far easier to say you don't give a shit.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Olympics on 16:39 - Aug 16 with 2199 viewspaulparker

I don't mind the Olympics , fair play to all the Gold medal winners for GB especially the lad Whitlock in the Gymnastics who was superb , loved the cycling as well
disappointed and irritated in the fawning over the likes of Lewis Smith (poser and big head) , Jessica Ennis (she's a mum you know ) and "brave " tom Daley (copyright Disco) who when he won the Bronze it was considered an event on par of Roger Bannisters 4 minute mile
at least Mo Farah hasn't dined on London and come out fighting like a proper champion
Oh and thanks a bunch that we have to sit up until 2.30 am for some track and field

EDIT :BTW am I the only one who is having sexual thoughts re Rebecca Addlington, is this normal ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Olympics on 17:09 - Aug 16 with 2160 viewsDiscodroids

While there may well be a lot of skill involved [in dressage], it appears that the rider just sits there whilst the horse ponces around and does a little dance to middle of the road American soft rock aka Peter cetera

I only watched in the hope that one of the contestants (preferably equine) would have a dump in the middle of the stadium to Micheal Mcdonalds keyboard solo on 'i keep forgettin'.

ps PP..I used to think the same of sally gunell.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Olympics on 17:29 - Aug 16 with 2124 viewsDiscodroids

Olympics on 16:05 - Aug 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Michael Conlon just robbed of a medal in his boxing fight. He absolutely out-boxed, out-thought and out-fought his opponent, won all three rounds but was only given one.

Beyond belief. Utterly.

Olympics on 18:59 - Aug 16 with 2070 viewsA40Bosh

Beyond belief. Utterly.

His uncensored RTE interview leaves you in no doubt as to how robbed he himself felt at the end of that contest.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Olympics on 18:59 - Aug 16 with 2070 viewsjohncharles

Beyond belief. Utterly.

It's the reason I won't watch it. Olympic boxing is more bent than the professional game. Even Sonny Liston would have been embarrassed by some of these decisions. I feel for you Brian.

Strong and stable my arse.

Olympics on 22:06 - Aug 16 with 1995 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Olympics on 18:59 - Aug 16 by johncharles

It's the reason I won't watch it. Olympic boxing is more bent than the professional game. Even Sonny Liston would have been embarrassed by some of these decisions. I feel for you Brian.

Thanks man. I wouldn't pretend to be a boxing fan but my heart goes out to that lad. He worked four years for that only to be cheated. Utterly, utterly cheated. I normally prefer sportspeople to be diplomatic but I find it very hard to blame Conlon for that interview in the immediate aftermath and for the middle finger he aimed at the judges.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Olympics on 00:55 - Aug 17 with 1902 viewsSydneyRs

Olympics on 10:33 - Aug 13 by Hooparoo

The punching above weight thing was mostly down to a funding advantage. While Aus established an institute of sport and plunged millions into targeting olympic medals, few others initially did the same.

I moved here 16 years ago, and at that time British sport was very poorly funded and performing in line with this. Meanwhile Australia was benefiting from its own very successful government funding program. The whole 'punching above our weight' thing was never true and I always argued that a properly funded GB would at least match, and probably outperform, Australia due to the larger population. Aussie relatives laughed at this at the time. We lost because we were "soft" or mentally weak.

Siince then the UK lottery funding has seen a steady improvement and record performances from GB in the current and last games. GB has beaten Australia comfortably for 3 olympics in a row and England beat Australia in the last commonwealth games medals too. Something that never looked like it might happen. This despite the large amount of medals on offer in Australia's most popular olympic/commonwealth games sport swimming, a sport that has nowhere near the same level of interest anywhere else.

Its basically all about money these days and the original olympic ideal of anyone has a chance is dying. Australia were one of the first to adopt the heavy spending route, now others have followed (GB and China good examples) with predictable results.

The claims of the past that pure determination and mental toughness were the reasons for Aussie success are and always were ridiculous. Look at the number of Australian athletes and teams that have simply choked under pressure in the last week or so. Now there is expectation on them to deliver, combined with better resourced and prepared opponents than in the past. They are as vulnerable to pressure as anybody else.

World class facilities, money, the best coaches (often foreign), sports science, teams of psychologists, full time training camps for months leading up to the games, etc, etc. That's what wins medals.

I agree that the public interest here doesn't seem quite what it was. Whether that is because results aren't as good or because people are seeing through it I don't know. The media however are as nauseating as ever!
Olympics on 03:49 - Aug 17 with 1867 viewsHooparoo

Olympics on 00:55 - Aug 17 by SydneyRs

The punching above weight thing was mostly down to a funding advantage. While Aus established an institute of sport and plunged millions into targeting olympic medals, few others initially did the same.

I moved here 16 years ago, and at that time British sport was very poorly funded and performing in line with this. Meanwhile Australia was benefiting from its own very successful government funding program. The whole 'punching above our weight' thing was never true and I always argued that a properly funded GB would at least match, and probably outperform, Australia due to the larger population. Aussie relatives laughed at this at the time. We lost because we were "soft" or mentally weak.

Siince then the UK lottery funding has seen a steady improvement and record performances from GB in the current and last games. GB has beaten Australia comfortably for 3 olympics in a row and England beat Australia in the last commonwealth games medals too. Something that never looked like it might happen. This despite the large amount of medals on offer in Australia's most popular olympic/commonwealth games sport swimming, a sport that has nowhere near the same level of interest anywhere else.

Its basically all about money these days and the original olympic ideal of anyone has a chance is dying. Australia were one of the first to adopt the heavy spending route, now others have followed (GB and China good examples) with predictable results.

The claims of the past that pure determination and mental toughness were the reasons for Aussie success are and always were ridiculous. Look at the number of Australian athletes and teams that have simply choked under pressure in the last week or so. Now there is expectation on them to deliver, combined with better resourced and prepared opponents than in the past. They are as vulnerable to pressure as anybody else.

World class facilities, money, the best coaches (often foreign), sports science, teams of psychologists, full time training camps for months leading up to the games, etc, etc. That's what wins medals.

I agree that the public interest here doesn't seem quite what it was. Whether that is because results aren't as good or because people are seeing through it I don't know. The media however are as nauseating as ever!

Fair enough mate, you make some good points. You shouldn't judge Aussies by the media as they are generally narcissistic tossers in the main and try to cater to the lowest common denominator.

I agree about the funding point as I would much rather see money spent on facilities for kids and everyday sporting facilities rather than the so called "elite" athletes. $40m was wasted on our swimming team for instance.

The point I was trying to make was a more general one about Aussie sports not just the Olympics. Tennis, Golf, Rugby etc were all sports we have been well represented in considering our small population. Personally, I'm proud to be an Aussie but I appreciate all sportsmen not just those from here. The bloke from Haiti that tripped in the Hurdles but got up to finish the race last is what sport is really all about for me.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Olympics on 04:49 - Aug 17 with 1826 viewsSydneyRs

Olympics on 03:49 - Aug 17 by Hooparoo

Fair enough mate, you make some good points. You shouldn't judge Aussies by the media as they are generally narcissistic tossers in the main and try to cater to the lowest common denominator.

I agree about the funding point as I would much rather see money spent on facilities for kids and everyday sporting facilities rather than the so called "elite" athletes. $40m was wasted on our swimming team for instance.

The point I was trying to make was a more general one about Aussie sports not just the Olympics. Tennis, Golf, Rugby etc were all sports we have been well represented in considering our small population. Personally, I'm proud to be an Aussie but I appreciate all sportsmen not just those from here. The bloke from Haiti that tripped in the Hurdles but got up to finish the race last is what sport is really all about for me.

I agree, but those moments are becoming increasingly rare as the well resourced countries swallow up the medal chances. The premier league has gone the same way of course, which is why Leicester's triumph last year against all the odds was so great to see.

For me, watching the Fiji sevens team after they won that gold medal was what the olympics should be about, and has largely lost. It meant so much to those men, their singing together after the game was spine tingling and the level of utter passion and love for their country there for all to see.
Olympics on 05:16 - Aug 17 with 1815 viewsLadbrokeR

I stayed up to watch GB get gold in the snooker.
Olympics on 08:56 - Aug 17 with 1710 viewsMick_S

Olympics on 05:16 - Aug 17 by LadbrokeR

I stayed up to watch GB get gold in the snooker.

That was the yellow ball.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Olympics on 09:03 - Aug 17 with 1701 viewsaston_hoop

1 gold medal in 1996, 19 already now with 5 days to go! See, not everything was better in the 90s

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Olympics on 11:31 - Aug 17 with 1633 viewsderbyhoop

Olympics on 17:09 - Aug 16 by Discodroids

While there may well be a lot of skill involved [in dressage], it appears that the rider just sits there whilst the horse ponces around and does a little dance to middle of the road American soft rock aka Peter cetera

I only watched in the hope that one of the contestants (preferably equine) would have a dump in the middle of the stadium to Micheal Mcdonalds keyboard solo on 'i keep forgettin'.

ps PP..I used to think the same of sally gunell.

I was as confused as you, but asked a friend who is a horsey person. She said the riders control the horse by using their feet either side of the girth. Horse training uses a form of aversion therapy. If you nudge it on the left, it will move to the right - to get away from being kicked by the rider.

And what a surprise to see the Germans being so good at something that requires precision.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024