Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Cabs versus Uber 13:44 - Oct 14 with 30673 viewsBlackCrowe

30 minutes ago in St Martins Lane.

Me: Hi, do you take cards

Black cab: Read the sign mate - cash only. Now do you want a cab or not?

Me: It's alright, I'll get an Uber.

How to wreck your livelihood in one simple step

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:48 - Oct 14 with 13804 viewsTacticalR

They were supposed to accept credit cards from the beginning of this month (under Tfl regulations)

All London black cabs to take card payments from October
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/03/all-london-black-cabs-to-take-ca

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:53 - Oct 14 with 13781 viewsBlackCrowe

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:48 - Oct 14 by TacticalR

They were supposed to accept credit cards from the beginning of this month (under Tfl regulations)

All London black cabs to take card payments from October
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/03/all-london-black-cabs-to-take-ca

Not this one..seemed quite p!ssed off at my question.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:58 - Oct 14 with 13762 viewshoopdog

No they are not doesn't come into force untill the end of the month in some cases not untill January
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:06 - Oct 14 with 13723 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I wouldn't let one grumpy one put you off.
Does make you angry though doesn't it! You would think they would be trying to win customers not pee them off.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:06 - Oct 14 with 13646 viewsrunningman75

my mum is in her 70s, has arthritis and occasionally goes on shopping trips to Oxford street. She has sometime been in pain and spent to go in a black cab rather than getting the tube home. Always been treated respectfully , good service and not ripped off.
I spend my life on public transport but when I have been abroad cabbies will try and rip you off. I was in Prague and a guy wanted 30 euros did not get into the cab and found out it was a 15 minutes walk. On the whole black cabs are good for London.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:15 - Oct 14 with 13620 viewsLongsufferingR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:06 - Oct 14 by runningman75

my mum is in her 70s, has arthritis and occasionally goes on shopping trips to Oxford street. She has sometime been in pain and spent to go in a black cab rather than getting the tube home. Always been treated respectfully , good service and not ripped off.
I spend my life on public transport but when I have been abroad cabbies will try and rip you off. I was in Prague and a guy wanted 30 euros did not get into the cab and found out it was a 15 minutes walk. On the whole black cabs are good for London.

While I'm pleased that your mum has been treated well, I have to disagree with the general point. For far too long, black cabs have been overpriced and a huge number of the drivers are amongst the most selfish, ignorant imbeciles on the roads of London.

Dropping off or picking up? I'll stop on the zigzags, or double park rather than pulling over 10 yards further on so that people can pass. Got a fare on board? I'll drive as slowly as possible to up the fare. Let another driver out of a side road? Only if it's another cab of course.

Uber may be far from perfect but it's a long overdue black eye for the black cabs.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2016 15:16]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:22 - Oct 14 with 13594 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:15 - Oct 14 by LongsufferingR

While I'm pleased that your mum has been treated well, I have to disagree with the general point. For far too long, black cabs have been overpriced and a huge number of the drivers are amongst the most selfish, ignorant imbeciles on the roads of London.

Dropping off or picking up? I'll stop on the zigzags, or double park rather than pulling over 10 yards further on so that people can pass. Got a fare on board? I'll drive as slowly as possible to up the fare. Let another driver out of a side road? Only if it's another cab of course.

Uber may be far from perfect but it's a long overdue black eye for the black cabs.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2016 15:16]

I'll drive slowly to up the fare

I've always found they want you in and out to get on to the next fare Asap the more fares the more money they earn to much sense in that yeah ?
[Post edited 14 Oct 2016 15:39]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:47 - Oct 14 with 13526 viewskensalriser

Uber just seems like a totally cntish company to me, another step towards the domination of the world by monopolistic mega-corp.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:16 - Oct 14 with 13437 viewsTacticalR

The new 'gig economy' bears an uncanny resemblance to the very old concept of piecework.

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:23 - Oct 14 with 13413 viewsTW_R

When I'm in the US I always use Uber. You don't have to call anyone, you can see where the car is, who's driving it, what car it's going to be, how much the journey will cost (generally cheaper than a cab), you pay when the journey ends without having to do anything, the drivers are generally more friendly, the cars tend to be in much better condition than a cab, you can see the route they are going to take and you're not expected to tip 20%.

No-brainer really.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:29 - Oct 14 with 13372 viewsessextaxiboy

I am only a private hire driver and only on airports , however I have always been amazed at how taxi drivers generally dont seem to care about retaining business for the trade as a whole .
Quite happy to be late , or have a dirty car or cut corners with lucrative account customers. Not to mention working dressed like they slept on a beach in Ibiza.

I spent many years in the motor trade where you have to overcome the customers cynicism before you start . A bit of the customer care training I had would benefit some of these drivers IMO .
Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:04 - Oct 14 with 13326 viewsToast_R

Uber every time for me. You know the fare, don't have to mess about with cash and they come to your door. Black Cabs are pricing themselves out of the market.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:12 - Oct 14 with 13306 viewsNov77

Out of 154 claims of rape and sexual assault by minicab drivers last year, 32 were confirmed to be uber drivers. These are figures released under a freedom of information request but are only from 6 of London's 32 boroughs, so the real figure is likely much higher.

TFL are currently sitting on the latest figures, they were supposed to be released under FOI on the 20th sep.

The Leytonstone terrorist was an uber driver, as was the guy who murdered the shopkeeper in glasgow for wishing people a happy easter.

they are owned by the likes of goldman sachs, google, rupert murdoch and the saudis (who don't allow women to drive in their country!)

they use their money to lobby politicans (they appointed the godmother of davids cameron's children as their head of UK operations) her husband just happens to be steve hilton, the main strategist behind the tory election campaign.

When boris johnson wanted to clamp down on uber he was told by cameron to leave them alone.

There are currently more than 113,000 private hire drivers in london (as opposed to roughly 23,000 green badge black cab drivers.)

The number of new private hire licenses issued every WEEK by TFL is over 600 (wondered why the traffic is getting worse and worse? look out for the circular disc in the front and rear window, mostly toyota priuses) TFL get three hundred quid per license, so earn roughly £200,000 a week which goes toward paying the more than 400 TFL staff who earn more than £100,000 a year. (think they're ever going to kill that goose that lays so many golden eggs?) The number of black cab drivers working in london is going DOWN every week.

TFL in their infinite irony have a poster on the backs of their buses telling drivers 'one glance at your phone could be one too many', yet uber drivers cannot work without constantly staring at their phones to tell them where to go, they also have to interact with them to accept jobs whilst driving, to see the consequences have a look at the uber crashes section of this website
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4whbkrf7w993prz/AADYTB6j0OxqCApdUOsJE2ITa?dl=0

Uber are currently losing billions globally, they are a company who are using the fact that they don't pay tax in the UK to undercut the competition (who do pay tax) and force them out of business. Once local minicab firms and black cab drivers are gone, uber will have their monopoly, and as TFL have no control over their pricing (hence they surge price whenever they want) uber will then jack the prices up, and people will no longer be able to hide behind the REAL reason they use them, coz they're cheap.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2016 17:14]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:13 - Oct 14 with 13303 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:04 - Oct 14 by Toast_R

Uber every time for me. You know the fare, don't have to mess about with cash and they come to your door. Black Cabs are pricing themselves out of the market.

All can be got on hailo and gett on black taxis
[Post edited 14 Oct 2016 17:14]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:30 - Oct 14 with 13261 viewsNov77

Black cab drivers have no say on the price of fares, they are set by TFL, it takes into account their costs, there is no choice on the vehicle they can use, and they cost £43,000 new, twice the price of Toyota Prius.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:35 - Oct 14 with 13243 viewsqueensparker

I'm with KensalRiser, Uber are a disgusting company at their root, pay virtually no tax, are run by complete c--ts, treat their "workers" like crap, seem to think they can do what they want when it comes to the law, and wriggle out of any liabilities for their actions.

No doubt they're convenient and good value, but I won't use them.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:40 - Oct 14 with 13228 viewsNov77

If you're getting an uber to the airport, make sure the driver knows that Heathrow is all one word!

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:41 - Oct 14 with 13224 viewshoopdog

Would you take an Uber car over the Christmas period or days of rail strikes tripled fares ?? Or are they cheaper in rush hours double fare no , do they comply with same restrictions other mini cabs have to no
Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:49 - Oct 14 with 13105 viewsLongsufferingR

Ever heard of John Worboys? Uber drivers don't have a monopoly on scumbags. Not by a long way.

Like I said earlier, Uber is far from the ideal solution, but black cab drivers have themselves to blame, and I'm only surprised it has taken this long for a viable alternative to come along.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:54 - Oct 14 with 13086 viewsTW_R

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:40 - Oct 14 by Nov77

If you're getting an uber to the airport, make sure the driver knows that Heathrow is all one word!

Or alternatively learn how to use the Uber app. You can add the destination when booking a car.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:57 - Oct 14 with 13081 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:49 - Oct 14 by LongsufferingR

Ever heard of John Worboys? Uber drivers don't have a monopoly on scumbags. Not by a long way.

Like I said earlier, Uber is far from the ideal solution, but black cab drivers have themselves to blame, and I'm only surprised it has taken this long for a viable alternative to come along.

Ever heard of Addison Lee been on the market for 40 years other mini cabs been operating for 50 years
The difference is they have to operate under more stringent rules than Camerons cliques company do
[Post edited 14 Oct 2016 19:02]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 01:47 - Oct 15 with 12757 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:23 - Oct 14 by TW_R

When I'm in the US I always use Uber. You don't have to call anyone, you can see where the car is, who's driving it, what car it's going to be, how much the journey will cost (generally cheaper than a cab), you pay when the journey ends without having to do anything, the drivers are generally more friendly, the cars tend to be in much better condition than a cab, you can see the route they are going to take and you're not expected to tip 20%.

No-brainer really.

Absolutely. One of the single biggest shocks to my system after moving to the 'fruited plain' was the appalling service offered by taxi companies. Over here its a stitch up, you purchase a medallion (very few available, very expensive), then can employ drivers and run a cab service. These owners don't get their medallions just because they have money, they also have to be on the nod and the wink politically, forever more adding their support to the pols who greased their applications. Whole system was rotten to the core. Uber's drivers are generally polite(don't give lectures on the state of the country), are less expensive, have cleaner cars and usually wear a condom when raping an unconscious passenger.
In London I prefer to use Black Cabs as I don't enjoy being scared shitless by erratic driving mini cars nor have any interest in the whirling dervish music blaring from the radio.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2016 1:53]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:38 - Oct 15 with 12480 viewsBrixtonR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 01:47 - Oct 15 by Boston

Absolutely. One of the single biggest shocks to my system after moving to the 'fruited plain' was the appalling service offered by taxi companies. Over here its a stitch up, you purchase a medallion (very few available, very expensive), then can employ drivers and run a cab service. These owners don't get their medallions just because they have money, they also have to be on the nod and the wink politically, forever more adding their support to the pols who greased their applications. Whole system was rotten to the core. Uber's drivers are generally polite(don't give lectures on the state of the country), are less expensive, have cleaner cars and usually wear a condom when raping an unconscious passenger.
In London I prefer to use Black Cabs as I don't enjoy being scared shitless by erratic driving mini cars nor have any interest in the whirling dervish music blaring from the radio.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2016 1:53]

Uber's drivers are generally polite(don't give lectures on the state of the country), are less expensive, have cleaner cars and usually wear a condom when raping an unconscious passenger.
LOL made me laugh

To be fair personally im with Kensal and Queensparker on this, though we use uber at work

Whenever I hear Uber I always think of this what a div
Black Cabs versus Uber on 08:12 - Oct 16 with 12279 viewstimcocking

The London taxi drivers are surely the finest taxi drivers on the planet by a million miles?

Although of course they're screwed. Uber will soon kill them off i imagine. But wow, they are the world's finest.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 11:19]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 08:58 - Oct 16 with 12230 viewsWatford_Ranger

I don't care if the car is a black cab, Prius or Ferrari or if the driver is from Dagenham or Timbuktu. Just get me from A to B for the cheapest price so it's Uber for me. I also find Karhoo to be good. What sort of business in 2016 only takes cash?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024