Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Cabs versus Uber 13:44 - Oct 14 with 30685 viewsBlackCrowe

30 minutes ago in St Martins Lane.

Me: Hi, do you take cards

Black cab: Read the sign mate - cash only. Now do you want a cab or not?

Me: It's alright, I'll get an Uber.

How to wreck your livelihood in one simple step

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 22:26 - Jun 6 with 3439 viewsdanehoop

Black Cabs versus Uber on 22:19 - Jun 6 by Tripper

Continually being overcharged now by Uber.

Got a cab back from Epsom to Watford on Sunday morning for a very reasonable £56.00 quote.When my email receipt came through they charged me £106, which is a pretty big difference.

Complained and was told driver drove M25 rather than through London and it was up me me to tell the driver the way I wanted to go, nothing more they can do.

A local can firm quoted £80 and I'll still to them whenever possible from now on.

Should have stayed at travel lodge at Epsom station, would have been cheaper to just take the train on the Sunday.

Never knowingly understood

Black Cabs versus Uber on 23:24 - Jun 6 with 3404 viewszicoshoops

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:09 - Jun 6 by Jeff

it's algorithmic - if 100 people request a cab at the same time, the price surges automatically, so yes, on Saturday the Uber prices rose after the attack.

it's not Uber making a quick buck on the back of an atrocity, it's a simply supply / demand equation. It does the same at turf out time at the end of an O2 gig.

Obviously in an ideal world you'd have Uber react to this sort of thing and drop prices back to base rate, but you'd then need someone monitoring all the Uber territories for 'incidents which should not be exploited' etc.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 15:10]

I can't help myself.

If it's not Uber making a quick buck, then who is?
They pay little or no tax in this Country.
No VAT.
They lose Millions of Pounds.
The fares are 41% of real market prices.....(until they surge)
The drivers pay 25% of every fare to Uber.
The drivers claim Housing Benefits....and all sorts of other benefits.
The taxpayer through their taxes pays for those benefits.
And you think you're getting a good cheap deal.
The 'Surge' after the attack at London Bridge continued for more than Two hours, it stopped when they were shamed on social media.
On Tuesday in the rain, a 'Surge' of 2.5 times was in place.
For people who complain about the 'Surge,'.....why complain?
The stats for assults/crashes/ sexual assults/ are all out there
You wanted them.
You got them.

Carry on using them.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 23:55]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 23:59 - Jun 6 with 3378 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 22:19 - Jun 6 by Tripper

Continually being overcharged now by Uber.

Got a cab back from Epsom to Watford on Sunday morning for a very reasonable £56.00 quote.When my email receipt came through they charged me £106, which is a pretty big difference.

Complained and was told driver drove M25 rather than through London and it was up me me to tell the driver the way I wanted to go, nothing more they can do.

A local can firm quoted £80 and I'll still to them whenever possible from now on.

I regularly reroute Uber drivers. Politely though.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 00:00 - Jun 7 with 3377 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 23:24 - Jun 6 by zicoshoops

I can't help myself.

No VAT.
The 'Surge' after the attack at London Bridge continued for more than Two hours, it stopped when they were shamed on social media.
You wanted them.
You got them.

Carry on using them.

Yours don't sell crack!

Black Cabs versus Uber on 07:10 - Jun 7 with 3308 viewsWatford_Ranger

I can't help myself.

No VAT.
You wanted them.
You got them.

Carry on using them.

I will. Still not had a bad experience with them. Then again I understand it's pointless arguing with an algorithm.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 09:22 - Jun 7 with 3245 viewssimmo

I can't help myself.

No VAT.
You wanted them.
You got them.

Carry on using them.

"it's not Uber making a quick buck ON THE BACK OF AN ATROCITY" - it was a response to a specific question about surging during terrorist attacks, not a post in support of Uber generally or their policies.

As for 'The drivers claim Housing Benefits....and all sorts of other benefits.' - this is generalist bollocks and the same for plenty of people across all professions.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Black Cabs versus Uber on 09:32 - Jun 7 with 3227 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

@Watford Ranger - "arguing with an algorithm"

Try saying that phrase 10 times in a row!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:00 - Jun 7 with 3208 viewszicoshoops

Black Cabs versus Uber on 09:22 - Jun 7 by simmo

"it's not Uber making a quick buck ON THE BACK OF AN ATROCITY" - it was a response to a specific question about surging during terrorist attacks, not a post in support of Uber generally or their policies.

As for 'The drivers claim Housing Benefits....and all sorts of other benefits.' - this is generalist bollocks and the same for plenty of people across all professions.

Profession?

Please tell me how you can qualify for any other profession, when all you need is...
£300
£50 for a dodgy medical.
No Criminal record check.....Although that's not quite true, you can self certify if you've come from another Country.
You don't have to speak English.
You blindly follow a Sat Nav in a language you may not understand.
You have to interact with a mobile device while driving.
You earn less than the minimum wage.

Yep, generalist bollocks.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 10:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:47 - Jun 7 with 3173 viewssimmo

Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:00 - Jun 7 by zicoshoops

Profession?

Please tell me how you can qualify for any other profession, when all you need is...
£300
£50 for a dodgy medical.
No Criminal record check.....Although that's not quite true, you can self certify if you've come from another Country.
You don't have to speak English.
You blindly follow a Sat Nav in a language you may not understand.
You have to interact with a mobile device while driving.
You earn less than the minimum wage.

Yep, generalist bollocks.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 10:30]

A driving licence and a vehicle, 2 things that would prohibit me doing the job for example.

Either way making the point that Uber drivers claim housing benefits (and other benefits) like it's a negative thing and doesnt happen with people across any and all other jobs has nothing to do with anything.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:01 - Jun 7 with 3160 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:47 - Jun 7 by simmo

A driving licence and a vehicle, 2 things that would prohibit me doing the job for example.

Either way making the point that Uber drivers claim housing benefits (and other benefits) like it's a negative thing and doesnt happen with people across any and all other jobs has nothing to do with anything.

That's the sort of b@llocks the paye tax payer suffers Simmo, it's wrong the system that people working on direct employment suffer the burdon of the in work benifits that the low paid claim , everybody should pay tax to do that everybody should earn a taxable wage
Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:14 - Jun 7 with 3144 viewszicoshoops

Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:47 - Jun 7 by simmo

Of course it's a negative thing.

Uber call their drivers, 'Partners.'
They are not Partners, they are employees, as all their work comes through the Uber platform.

They have no worker rights...
They get no holiday or sick pay.
They don't make the minimum wage.

Meanwhile, Uber take 25% of everything they earn.
They are based in the Netherlands, so pay little or no tax or VAT in this Country.
The Taxpayer makes up the difference for the Uber 'Partners'

Please explain how this isn't a negative thing?
Black Cabs versus Uber on 19:48 - Jun 13 with 2945 viewsTacticalR

We take it in turns to act as sort of executive officer for the week...

'Uber's chief executive Travis Kalanick has decided to go on leave for an indefinite period, after a highly critical report into the ride-hailing company's dysfunctional management followed hard on the heels of the death of his mother.

Rather than naming an interim chief executive, Mr Kalanick said his 14 direct reports would run the company in his absence.

Mr Kalanick's hard-driving style has for years defined the controversial company, which has grown to a valuation of $68bn while earning a reputation for breaking the rules and doing whatever it takes to achieve growth.

His decision to step aside follows a crisis that has profoundly shaken Silicon Valley's most valuable private company and led to the departure of many top executives.'

'Uber's shareholders have increasingly called for Mr Kalanick to go, even though they cannot technically oust him because of the super-voting shares he and his allies own.'

Uber chief Travis Kalanick to take indefinite leave
https://www.ft.com/content/47561796-5053-11e7-bfb8-997009366969

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 23:16 - Jun 17 with 2824 viewsthame_hoops

Man, a Black cab driver refused to take us from our hotel (the park plaza riverbank) to county hall (had reservations at gillroys steak house) because he said it was a 10 min walk. We'd been walking all day and wanted to rest our feet hence getting a taxi from the line outside the hotel. We went to the taxi behind this idiot and this second driver apologised on behalf of the guy who refused our fare. It was a £6 fare so I tipped him £4 to round it Upto £10. He said the old school drivers are killing the industry, uber is a swear word. What a joke
Black Cabs versus Uber on 03:31 - Jun 18 with 2768 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 09:32 - Jun 7 by CliveWilsonSaid

@Watford Ranger - "arguing with an algorithm"

Try saying that phrase 10 times in a row!

Al Gorithm, ain't he the bloke who made billions outa the man made warming lark?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:06 - Jun 18 with 2694 viewsTacticalR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 03:31 - Jun 18 by Boston

Al Gorithm, ain't he the bloke who made billions outa the man made warming lark?

Not your typical English word. A latinised form of the name of 9th century Baghdad-based mathematician al-Khwarizmi:

Muhammad ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Musa_al-Khwarizmi

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:33 - Jun 18 with 2657 viewsNW5Hoop

Never had a problem with a black cab driver when I've been in a cab. But as a pedestrian and a driver, I think there are plenty of them who are the worst drivers on the road. I've been cut up going over zebra crossings plenty of times by cabbies, who seem to think zebra crossings are advisable. And the shit they give you as a driver if you don't always do what they want … There are plenty who believe their own publicity about being an essential part of London, so they behave as if they own it.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:31 - Jun 18 with 2602 viewsBoston

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:33 - Jun 18 by NW5Hoop

Never had a problem with a black cab driver when I've been in a cab. But as a pedestrian and a driver, I think there are plenty of them who are the worst drivers on the road. I've been cut up going over zebra crossings plenty of times by cabbies, who seem to think zebra crossings are advisable. And the shit they give you as a driver if you don't always do what they want … There are plenty who believe their own publicity about being an essential part of London, so they behave as if they own it.

NW5...I had a great time living in that part of town. First Gaisford St, then to Dunollie Rd, finally Grove Terrace. Spent many an hour in the Vultures Perch and the Bull & Last, among other licensed establishments. One of my brothers lived close by in Chetwynd Rd, Tufnell Park and we were regular diners in the Spaghetti House. My all time favourite greasy spoon though was on Kentish Town High Rd, Snoopy's, where I took the future Mrs Boston after she'd accepted my proposal of marriage....she has never let me forget, I have never forgotten that steak.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 14:32]

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:26 - Jun 23 with 2452 viewsTacticalR

Uber CEO Travis Kalanick resigns following months of chaos
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/20/uber-ceo-travis-kalanick-resi

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:43 - Jul 13 with 2287 viewssimmo

Due primarily to regulatory and legacy issues, Uber has not totally eliminated the incumbent taxis. But now these more traditional suppliers of urban transportation are forced to modernize and upgrade their services in an attempt to moderate the erosion of their diminished market share. And once again, the consumer benefits.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-07-13/what-a-london-cabbie-taught-m

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:51 - Jul 13 with 2277 viewsKonk

As a cyclist, I have noticed a huge increase in mini-cabs in zones 1-2; every other vehicle on the road seems to be a mini-cab since Uber took off. Extremely damaging for the environment as every fu cker now seems to get Ubers everywhere rather than getting a bus, tube or walking. My wife was out with colleagues the other night and was the only one who didn’t Uber home. Given the ridiculous amount of their cars polluting Central London, I find it amazing/ridiculous that they’re exempt from the Congestion charge — the whole point of the cu nts is that they just drive round Central London all day long, so why should someone popping into town on a one off journey have to pay the charge and some fu cker spending 8 hours pumping out shi t into the air and clogging up the streets all day, be exempt?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:00 - Jul 13 with 2239 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:51 - Jul 13 by Konk

As a cyclist, I have noticed a huge increase in mini-cabs in zones 1-2; every other vehicle on the road seems to be a mini-cab since Uber took off. Extremely damaging for the environment as every fu cker now seems to get Ubers everywhere rather than getting a bus, tube or walking. My wife was out with colleagues the other night and was the only one who didn’t Uber home. Given the ridiculous amount of their cars polluting Central London, I find it amazing/ridiculous that they’re exempt from the Congestion charge — the whole point of the cu nts is that they just drive round Central London all day long, so why should someone popping into town on a one off journey have to pay the charge and some fu cker spending 8 hours pumping out shi t into the air and clogging up the streets all day, be exempt?

In the last three years the number of minicab drivers in London has gone up by over 50,000.
The number of black cab drivers has gone down by over 1,300.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:28 - Jul 14 with 2136 viewsJuzzie

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:51 - Jul 13 by Konk

I said something along the same lines on page3. It beggars disbelief that the government/council spent millions setting up the congestion zone yet minicabs are exempt and then they dish out tens of thousands of licenses replacing ordinary people forced off the road onto expensive and overcrowded public transport.

How exactly is this cutting down on congestion or pollution?
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:16 - Jul 14 with 2094 viewsNov77

Just as an update, in the last couple of days one uber driver was given 12 years for raping passengers in shoreditch, and another is up at Wimbledon magistrates court charged with having a machine gun with ammunition in the boot of his car.

Uber accidents are off the scale and It's not even getting reported in the media because they don't want to lose the millions uber are paying them for advertising.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:14 - Nov 4 with 1233 viewsTacticalR

If you've got 15 minutes there was a review of Uber's business model on BBC Business Daily podcast

'Investors are losing faith in Uber's promise of rapid growth and market disruption, and are demanding to see actual profits. Oracle's founder Larry Ellison has gone as far as to describe the transport app company as "almost worthless".

Manuela Saragosa speaks to Scott Galloway, professor of marketing at NYU Stern School of Business, who says the company's problem is that it is a great brand and great app that have been built upon a fundamentally unprofitable market - ride hailing. Meanwhile Patricia Nakache of Trinity Ventures says that Silicon Valley venture capitalists such as hers are becoming increasingly wary of businesses that generate rapid growth by simply burning through billions of dollars of cash.'

Bringing Uber back to Earth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csy7dv

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:53 - Nov 4 with 1121 viewsrobith

Uber is the role model for all so called disruptive companies. All they do is use VC money to subsidise undercutting existing business models, raking as much cash as they can before the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

Look at WeWork collapsing last week - HOW DO YOU LOSE MONEY BEING A LANDLORD? IT'S A LICENSE TO PRINT MONEY
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024