Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford on Friday 15:35 - Oct 24 with 13053 viewshoof_hearted

Okay JFH. You want us to make some noise? Friday's the chance for you to gee the team up to snap into every tackle, run until their lungs burst, fight for everything, no surrender, score more than one goal, maybe.

If you give us something to cheer we'll send you home with ringing eardrums.

(Assuming I'm not the only one starting my (hic) preparations at 4.00 on Friday.)

Brentford on Friday on 15:46 - Oct 25 with 3571 viewsAntti_Heinola

Brentford on Friday on 15:38 - Oct 25 by qprxtc

I remember waking up one December Saturday morning in 1991 at a bit of loose end. Decided to ring my mate to see if he fancied going up to Manchester to see us take on City. Have a bit of a laugh.

Got to Euston half an hour later, bought a cheap day return. Got a few beers and off we went.

Turned up at Maine Road, paid cash to get in and sat and watched Rangers go two down by half time. Wegerle pulls one back, we get a last minute penalty, which is saved, corner comes in McDonald nuts it in, we go nuts.

Get a few beers for train home, get home couple more beers and home.

Did all that without breaking the bank or planning a year in advance.

Try doing that now. that's progress for you.

You can do that now. The argument is that clubs are charging extra for you not to.
Plus, of course, crowds in 91 are not comparable to now. People complain about dwindling crowds, but in the early 90s I saw us play home PL games - when we were doing well - in front of crowds of under 12000.

Bare bones.

Brentford on Friday on 15:55 - Oct 25 with 3552 viewscyprusmel

Brentford on Friday on 15:03 - Oct 25 by Antti_Heinola

Agree partly, but if you're going from Scunthorpe to Posh, surely you've made a few more plans than waking up at 9am and starting the long drive? is it that hard to log on and buy a ticket? Is that a military style operation?
Different strokes i spose, but in the years when i did pay on the day, there was nothing i hated more than queueing for ages to get a ticket.used to turn up at the Loft at 1.15pm to get in when it opened at 1.30 for exactly that reason (and to get next to a terrace bar (to lean on - too young to drink).
I guess you can look at it in 2 ways - is it discouraging people who decide on the day to turn up? Or deliberately encouraging people to think 24 hours ahead so that the box office isn't swamped on match day? £5 extra seems a lot to me, but if you're trying to be efficient and minimise queues etc on matchday anything less wouldn't make much difference.

In the mid 60's or there abouts I'm sure there were many gates over 20,000 and all through the turnstiles on the same day. It didn't seem a problem at the time.
Brentford on Friday on 16:03 - Oct 25 with 3538 viewsNorthernr

Brentford on Friday on 15:38 - Oct 25 by qprxtc

I remember waking up one December Saturday morning in 1991 at a bit of loose end. Decided to ring my mate to see if he fancied going up to Manchester to see us take on City. Have a bit of a laugh.

Got to Euston half an hour later, bought a cheap day return. Got a few beers and off we went.

Turned up at Maine Road, paid cash to get in and sat and watched Rangers go two down by half time. Wegerle pulls one back, we get a last minute penalty, which is saved, corner comes in McDonald nuts it in, we go nuts.

Get a few beers for train home, get home couple more beers and home.

Did all that without breaking the bank or planning a year in advance.

Try doing that now. that's progress for you.

That's a train problem more than anything. You have to know where you're going three months in advance and book and pay for it then otherwise they're apparently allowed to charge you an extortionate amount.

Should never be allowed that two people can sit in the same seat and one can pay £9.50 and the other £89 just because one knew they were making the trip three months ago and one only found out they had to be somewhere two days ago.
Brentford on Friday on 16:16 - Oct 25 with 3511 viewsAntti_Heinola

Brentford on Friday on 15:55 - Oct 25 by cyprusmel

In the mid 60's or there abouts I'm sure there were many gates over 20,000 and all through the turnstiles on the same day. It didn't seem a problem at the time.

well yes and no. the problem was queueing for ages. Plus people went early to grounds in those days, they don't know - most people turn up at five to three.

Bare bones.

Brentford on Friday on 16:39 - Oct 25 with 3459 viewsLadbrokeR

Brentford on Friday on 16:16 - Oct 25 by Antti_Heinola

well yes and no. the problem was queueing for ages. Plus people went early to grounds in those days, they don't know - most people turn up at five to three.

So the op was a basic statement to JFH saying we'll make some noise proividing the team put a shift in and then suggested having an early start on Friday . The thread has deviated into a discussion about walk up prices and essentially reasons not to go. I agree the cost of trains are diabolical and the stranglehold that Sky has is completely unfair and fighting is passe, queuing is hard work and there's time when i have felt like not going and cleaning my windows but get a grip. It's a derby it's Friday night you may even have a laugh.
Brentford on Friday on 17:16 - Oct 25 with 3412 viewshoopdog

Brentford on Friday on 13:23 - Oct 25 by PinnerPaul

Of course it isn't only QPR.

But it suits some agendas to imply that it is.

Didn't mean it that way of course others do it but surely it can't be beyond the clubs wit to suspend the membership rule while gates are low on produce of proof you are from the local area
Brentford on Friday on 17:18 - Oct 25 with 3408 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford on Friday on 14:36 - Oct 25 by kingsburyR

Not selling out for Brentford shows the state of football as a whole currently.

I was washing my windows last Saturday when a couple of pals dropped in. At about 6.30pmish I was asked how the R's got on.......I didnt have a clue!

...and us not selling out our away allocation is embarrassing
Brentford on Friday on 17:44 - Oct 25 with 3373 viewsRangersw12

Brentford on Friday on 17:18 - Oct 25 by switchingcode

How many have you sold mate ?

I'm sure you would of easily sold out if it was Saturday 3pm
Login to get fewer ads

Brentford on Friday on 17:54 - Oct 25 with 3357 viewsDorse

Brentford on Friday on 17:18 - Oct 25 by switchingcode

It was always going to be difficult selling all 28 tickets....

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Brentford on Friday on 18:42 - Oct 25 with 3311 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford on Friday on 17:44 - Oct 25 by Rangersw12

How many have you sold mate ?

I'm sure you would of easily sold out if it was Saturday 3pm

There is still 400 available,not helped by it being a Friday and on Sky but still poor.
Brentford on Friday on 18:44 - Oct 25 with 3307 viewsswitchingcode

Brentford on Friday on 17:54 - Oct 25 by Dorse

It was always going to be difficult selling all 28 tickets....

Brentford on Friday on 08:36 - Oct 26 with 3134 viewsKonk

Brentford on Friday on 16:03 - Oct 25 by Northernr

That's a train problem more than anything. You have to know where you're going three months in advance and book and pay for it then otherwise they're apparently allowed to charge you an extortionate amount.

Should never be allowed that two people can sit in the same seat and one can pay £9.50 and the other £89 just because one knew they were making the trip three months ago and one only found out they had to be somewhere two days ago.

I agree it's the cost of trains that have well and truly killed spontaneous away days, but the £5 penalty for paying on the day pi sses me right off too; it seems excessive and whilst a fiver won't destroy my finances, it bumps our prices up to £30 for 2nd division football and the principle alone would probably stop me going on a whim.

I wouldn't have a problem with something like a 10-20% discount for booking train tickets 30 years in advance as you have to at the moment, but you're right in that the disparity between fares is ridiculous - stop the tiny number of cheap tickets released and just charge everyone a reasonable amount instead. In the Netherlands, there's no difference whether you book your ticket five minutes or five months before travel and I think that's a fairer way of doing things if you want to keep it simple. I shouldn't have to spend an hour trying to figure out how I can break journeys up to get to Manchester cheaper - it should be a transparent pricing system where people have a clear idea what their travel will cost and where the cost is consistent.

My wife used to have to travel from King's Cross up to Bradford and Leeds for 09:30-10:00 meetings at short notice and it would cost about £150 pp if they went by train - and they often wouldn't get seats. In the end they just started driving up - so, 1 or 2 more cars on the roads and lost productivity because they could work on the train, whereas that wasn't possible in the car.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Brentford on Friday on 09:02 - Oct 26 with 3099 viewsToast_R

The reason I started going was because it was a piece of piss to turn up, pay £5 on the turnstile and stand on the Loft to watch top flight football.
I pity the kids of today who will never be able to experience the simplicity where going to watch your team was a take it or leave decision to be made on the day. Going to football now is like booking for a mini getaway.

Reminds me actually, did anyone ever get one of those "I stood on the Loft" certificates on offer at the final match before it closed for renovations?
They handed out the leaflets at the last home match it was open for against Everton if I remember rightly and Devon White punched the ball over the line for a win. I never bothered to get one but now, I wish I had.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 9:07]
Brentford on Friday on 09:18 - Oct 26 with 3076 viewspaulparker

Brentford on Friday on 09:02 - Oct 26 by Toast_R

The reason I started going was because it was a piece of piss to turn up, pay £5 on the turnstile and stand on the Loft to watch top flight football.
I pity the kids of today who will never be able to experience the simplicity where going to watch your team was a take it or leave decision to be made on the day. Going to football now is like booking for a mini getaway.

Reminds me actually, did anyone ever get one of those "I stood on the Loft" certificates on offer at the final match before it closed for renovations?
They handed out the leaflets at the last home match it was open for against Everton if I remember rightly and Devon White punched the ball over the line for a win. I never bothered to get one but now, I wish I had.

We must be the same age Toast because going to rangers in the 91/92 season you could just turn up pay a fiver in the paddocks and walk around to the back of loft , easy and exactly how football should be
away days were the same at places like spurs , arsenal , Chelsea , west ham
Christ I remember a load of us bunked school on the fly one Friday to watch Hayes vs Fulham on a Friday night , you couldn't do that now
I know standing had a lot to do with it but Konk is right why should you pay £25 to watch a second division match and then an extra fiver because you turned up at the day
that's why you don't see groups of lads from 16 -22 going anymore they have better things to do then spend £100 plus on a day out at football

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Brentford on Friday on 10:07 - Oct 26 with 3035 viewsAntti_Heinola

Brentford on Friday on 16:39 - Oct 25 by LadbrokeR

So the op was a basic statement to JFH saying we'll make some noise proividing the team put a shift in and then suggested having an early start on Friday . The thread has deviated into a discussion about walk up prices and essentially reasons not to go. I agree the cost of trains are diabolical and the stranglehold that Sky has is completely unfair and fighting is passe, queuing is hard work and there's time when i have felt like not going and cleaning my windows but get a grip. It's a derby it's Friday night you may even have a laugh.

Football is not a laughing matter, son. If you want a laugh go to a comedy show. This is a deadly serious debate about something of vital importance to all our lives, and the lives of our loved ones, and their loved ones, and future generations of people who may or may not want to pay on the day at extortionate prices or otherwise. If we don't nail this now, today, this issue could drag on for decades, maybe centuries.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 10:09]

Bare bones.

Brentford on Friday on 10:11 - Oct 26 with 2899 viewsAntti_Heinola

Brentford on Friday on 09:02 - Oct 26 by Toast_R

Man I forgot about them! I do have one somewhere! Framed, signed by Gerry and, er, Richard Thompson. I believe Everton took the lead, Devon equalised with his fist and then Les hammered home the winner in the last minute after a trademark pass from the Bard. Poor Mike Walker.

Bare bones.

Brentford on Friday on 10:32 - Oct 26 with 2855 viewsToast_R

Brentford on Friday on 09:18 - Oct 26 by paulparker

We must be the same age Toast because going to rangers in the 91/92 season you could just turn up pay a fiver in the paddocks and walk around to the back of loft , easy and exactly how football should be
away days were the same at places like spurs , arsenal , Chelsea , west ham
Christ I remember a load of us bunked school on the fly one Friday to watch Hayes vs Fulham on a Friday night , you couldn't do that now
I know standing had a lot to do with it but Konk is right why should you pay £25 to watch a second division match and then an extra fiver because you turned up at the day
that's why you don't see groups of lads from 16 -22 going anymore they have better things to do then spend £100 plus on a day out at football

Indeed Mr P,

I started going proper in the 93/94 season as my parents had accepted that I was by then old enough to go to football with a mate, unsupervised - I would have been 14 I suppose. I had taken two matches the previous season, a teacher at school and fellow QPR fan offered to take me to a match at a parents evening and true to his word, we went and beat Norwich 3-1. I was hooked and a week or two later, cajoled a mate of mine to go to the next match at home to Wimbledon in true Rangers style — we lost 2-1. Always sticks in my mind because it was my birthday and Tony Roberts came off injured to be replaced by Stejskal at 1-1 and a few guys next to us on the terrace were singing “Rangers No1” to him as he took his position, minutes later he flapped to allow Robie Earle to get a winner from a looping header - cue chants of “Rangers No2” coming from the same blokes…the little things you remember.

But yes those days, strolling up to the Lower Loft fiver in hand to see some great matches. It went on like that until 1996 for me when I was at College and took a Saturday job so matches became few and far between. It’s never really been quite as enjoyable since to be honest, 2010/11 aside of course.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 10:34]
Brentford on Friday on 10:41 - Oct 26 with 2840 viewshoof_hearted

You can still pay £13 on the day to watch Wealdstone (actually only £8 if you show your season ticket). It's more fun to go to a non-league ground with kids than it is to spend £100+ on a day out watching them get bored rigid surrounded by mostly grumpy middle aged men at a "bigger" club.

Anyway, this is about Friday so let's all stop moaning and start practicing for Friday...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No, hang a minute, this was a positive thread...

I'd love a Man Utd style extended play version of the Luongo song. (Remember them doing the Carrick version for about half an hour a couple of years ago).

R block and the other big boys have to keep it going for at least 10 minutes at full volume and then it will drift around the ground, fade away and come back. Like the album version of "Holloway's Blue and White Army" used to do. Or dare I say like Millwall did to Bircham for a most of the match.

Come on R block. Do your job or move to SAR.
Brentford on Friday on 11:10 - Oct 26 with 2806 viewsAntti_Heinola

Brentford on Friday on 10:32 - Oct 26 by Toast_R

Indeed Mr P,

I started going proper in the 93/94 season as my parents had accepted that I was by then old enough to go to football with a mate, unsupervised - I would have been 14 I suppose. I had taken two matches the previous season, a teacher at school and fellow QPR fan offered to take me to a match at a parents evening and true to his word, we went and beat Norwich 3-1. I was hooked and a week or two later, cajoled a mate of mine to go to the next match at home to Wimbledon in true Rangers style — we lost 2-1. Always sticks in my mind because it was my birthday and Tony Roberts came off injured to be replaced by Stejskal at 1-1 and a few guys next to us on the terrace were singing “Rangers No1” to him as he took his position, minutes later he flapped to allow Robie Earle to get a winner from a looping header - cue chants of “Rangers No2” coming from the same blokes…the little things you remember.

But yes those days, strolling up to the Lower Loft fiver in hand to see some great matches. It went on like that until 1996 for me when I was at College and took a Saturday job so matches became few and far between. It’s never really been quite as enjoyable since to be honest, 2010/11 aside of course.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 10:34]

The three of us probably stood next to each other.
Great days. Also think it's age though. I genuinely saw QPR 18 times before I saw us lose. Felt really special those days. One game v Ipswich I came back from a trip abroad, put my suitcase in a locker at Heathrow, dashed to the game, made it 10 mins late, was right at the back of the Loft, couldn't even see the Loft penalty box and every time we attacked I had to push myself up on the bar at the back so i could see what was going on. We won 3-0 - Devon with two and maybe Barker? Then went back to Heathrow to get my suitcase and go home. But it's like Christmas - you get older and you wonder where the magic went. I remember a teacher of mine in the early 90s saying he used to be a regular at Elland Road, loved it, wouldn't miss a game, couldn't imagine missing a game, but then he just drifted off - it became less important, he had a family etc. I thought 'I'll never be like that', but while I still have my ST I see what he means now. Sky, prices and all that play a big part, but so does life and just getting older.

Bare bones.

Brentford on Friday on 11:13 - Oct 26 with 2799 viewsNorthernr

Brentford on Friday on 11:10 - Oct 26 by Antti_Heinola

Great days. Also think it's age though. I genuinely saw QPR 18 times before I saw us lose. Felt really special those days. One game v Ipswich I came back from a trip abroad, put my suitcase in a locker at Heathrow, dashed to the game, made it 10 mins late, was right at the back of the Loft, couldn't even see the Loft penalty box and every time we attacked I had to push myself up on the bar at the back so i could see what was going on. We won 3-0 - Devon with two and maybe Barker? Then went back to Heathrow to get my suitcase and go home. But it's like Christmas - you get older and you wonder where the magic went. I remember a teacher of mine in the early 90s saying he used to be a regular at Elland Road, loved it, wouldn't miss a game, couldn't imagine missing a game, but then he just drifted off - it became less important, he had a family etc. I thought 'I'll never be like that', but while I still have my ST I see what he means now. Sky, prices and all that play a big part, but so does life and just getting older.

2nd one is an absolute belter.
Brentford on Friday on 11:25 - Oct 26 with 2780 viewspaulparker

Brentford on Friday on 11:10 - Oct 26 by Antti_Heinola

I was also in the loft by the front for the Ipswich game , again decided last minute with a mate to go to the game , what a brilliant move for the White headed goal as well
great days indeed ,
I can relate in the fact that I never thought I would miss a game at rangers but now it has lost a bit of the sparkle blokes in the pub I drink in think I need my head examined paying what we do at rangers , I still get a buzz when I walk up the steps in the ER but the game has changed there is to much of it on the TV , very average footballers are now millionaires , the national team are terrible, ticket prices are a scandal, the kick off times and hype are at silly levels now , even tournaments like the UEFA CUP, European Cup , World Cup and Euros are now boring

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Brentford on Friday on 11:27 - Oct 26 with 2774 views18StoneOfHoop

Brentford on Friday on 10:41 - Oct 26 by hoof_hearted

You can still pay £13 on the day to watch Wealdstone (actually only £8 if you show your season ticket). It's more fun to go to a non-league ground with kids than it is to spend £100+ on a day out watching them get bored rigid surrounded by mostly grumpy middle aged men at a "bigger" club.

Anyway, this is about Friday so let's all stop moaning and start practicing for Friday...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No, hang a minute, this was a positive thread...

I'd love a Man Utd style extended play version of the Luongo song. (Remember them doing the Carrick version for about half an hour a couple of years ago).

R block and the other big boys have to keep it going for at least 10 minutes at full volume and then it will drift around the ground, fade away and come back. Like the album version of "Holloway's Blue and White Army" used to do. Or dare I say like Millwall did to Bircham for a most of the match.

Come on R block. Do your job or move to SAR.

R Block do their job? Fck 'em! They're trying to catch up on their kip over there!

And self-appointed guardian of acceptable dress and behaviour kensal riser tells me it's not OK to be in R and (1) singing on your own (2) beered up (3) wearing a deeply unstylish fishing/Popeye Doyle hat (4) calling BFG 'Polti babes' and (5)calling Shodipo Sylla or vice-versa.

Much better to be over in X Block at the back winding up the lickle buzzers in Y.

Will Clint Hill's mate,the EDL voting Jamie Baldwin,be there,I wonder?

Any road that's where I'll be on Friday night,somewhat squiffy, having a laugh,roaring my team on,
not scared of being viewed as a pissed-up embarrassing fat 51 year old singing on his own.
Not trying to be cool - that's a euphemism for comatose silent - like Fonzarelli kensal riser over in R.

[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 15:42]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Brentford on Friday on 11:40 - Oct 26 with 2752 viewsAntti_Heinola

Brentford on Friday on 11:13 - Oct 26 by Northernr

2nd one is an absolute belter.

What a build up too! Sinclair's (is it Sinclair?) lay off from Wilkins' superb pass is sublime. Classic Bard cross.

Bare bones.

Brentford on Friday on 12:27 - Oct 26 with 2693 viewsBrightonhoop

Still makes no sense to deter walk-ups with higher rices when there's so many empty seats around the ground. Looked like the Mary Celeste against Bristol. Sad to see a half empty Loft especially.
Brentford on Friday on 15:04 - Oct 26 with 2561 viewsPinnerPaul

Its carrot or stick approach isn't it?

The carrot is allow on the day sales at normal prices, but you obvioulsy don't know how many will turn up - or the stick approach - charge a premium for walk ups in the hope of getting the undecideds to part with cash ahead of the day.

The fact that loads of clubs go for the stick approach means the maths must add up.

Have to say my Dad who lived round the corner from the ground and used to go every week in his youth/young adulthood - reserves 1 week, 1st team the next - never bought a ticket in advance in his life!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024