Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3rd Runway 11:42 - Oct 25 with 8963 viewsSuffolkHoop

Does this involve demolishing the site of our current training ground?
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 12:54]
3rd Runway on 10:25 - Oct 26 with 1091 viewsStraightR

I acknowledge the fact that, statistically, air travel is very safe. However, I can’t see that increasing aircraft movements over a major city like London is at all sensible. I have to think that, sooner or later, there will be an aviation disaster over a densely populated area.

On the other hand, I don’t think this will happen in my lifetime. Planning processes, judicial reviews, political pressure etc. will tie this project up for years.
3rd Runway on 10:29 - Oct 26 with 1087 viewsfrancisbowles

LONDON Gatwick and most if not all the airports in the UK have only one runway. If something goes wrong eg aircraft blocks runway, the airport closes and this frequently happens for short periods. This results in longer tailbacks for take off and landing (stacking), at best, or returning to stand and diversions if planes are getting low on fuel. This added congestion has implications on safety and the environment as well as inconvenience to customers involved and 'further down the line' with the delays and possible cancellations in aircraft schedules that develop.

So why would you build a precious resource i.e. runway, at an airport that already has two and minimise the above implications and potentially avoid some of them by switching runways?
3rd Runway on 10:52 - Oct 26 with 1061 viewsCanadaRanger

Given land values, couldn't they build three new runways at Luton for the same price, and eliminate part of that hole at the same time?

Win-Win, if you ask me!
3rd Runway on 11:11 - Oct 26 with 1042 viewshoof_hearted

This from the Independent today...

"The flat-pack plane
Amazingly, the flat-pack plane is a real thing. Cambridge, England-based company e-Go has created a one-person aircraft that can be taken apart and packed away after a flight. The plane is actually available on pre-order now, and will set you back a tidy £50,000. The company is now working on multi-seater flat-pack planes, so watch this space."

Leave at noon from Northolt for an away match in Manchester and be home for tea. I don't think they have a drinks trolley on board though.
3rd Runway on 11:23 - Oct 26 with 1026 viewsLongsufferingR

3rd Runway on 11:11 - Oct 26 by hoof_hearted

This from the Independent today...

"The flat-pack plane
Amazingly, the flat-pack plane is a real thing. Cambridge, England-based company e-Go has created a one-person aircraft that can be taken apart and packed away after a flight. The plane is actually available on pre-order now, and will set you back a tidy £50,000. The company is now working on multi-seater flat-pack planes, so watch this space."

Leave at noon from Northolt for an away match in Manchester and be home for tea. I don't think they have a drinks trolley on board though.

They do have a drinks trolley but it's not much good as the beer is flat.
3rd Runway on 12:16 - Oct 26 with 993 viewsR_from_afar

3rd Runway on 13:31 - Oct 25 by Mytch_QPR

I think HS2 is a little more justifiable - particularly if it gets more business and leisure travellers off our over-crowded roads. Our railways are still rather ancient and creaky compared to other developed countries.

Regardless of this, the national debt keeps clocking up a few more billions.

I am in favour of HS2 if, from the very start, it covers the spine of the country.

Let's make some meaningful improvements to the network all the way up to Scotland - and also out to the west/south west of England, where the transport links are appalling, rather than splurging a fortune on one incredibly fast link between - surprise surprise - London, and the Midlands.

Better still, let's use some real sorcery and have an integrated transport plan which encompasses the rail network, our roads, our airports and our ports.

Alternatively, we can carry on committing mega bucks to standalone flagship projects whilst justifying that approach by saying it proves we are "open for business".

Give me strength.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

3rd Runway on 13:09 - Oct 26 with 959 viewsR_from_afar

3rd Runway on 07:47 - Oct 26 by loftboy

Trouble with railways is cost, to get a return up north can cost best part of £100 even with a railcard yet I can fly return to Eastern Europe and back for less than £40, bizarre.

It is weird, I agree. One reason is that airlines have long been excluded from environmental and emissions tax regimes.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024