Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your favourite year for football 09:42 - Oct 26 with 4041 viewspaulparker

Following on from the Brentford thread and the debate about walk up prices and the bygone years of cheap travel and standing
if you could go back to only one year or season of football , what would it be and why ?

Mine would be the 89/90 season
we had the great Influence kit
pre season was a weird one we sold Gray & Allen but got in Paul Wright for a short spell , we had a struggle at the beginning but beat Liverpool in that brilliant 3-2 game , Gentleman Don took over and we then had a midfield of Wilkins & Reid
we had the emergence of Sinton, the raw potential of les , we bought Wegerle for a million , we had Macca, Maddix, sansom , Paul Parker, Seamen in goal , falco, and Barker playing out of there skins
you could stand for a fiver
we also had a cup run , beating Arsenal along the way in one of the best nights ever at HQ
we also beat spurs and arsenal in the league as well , playing them off the park
we thrashed Chelsea 4-2
the fa cup had 2 brilliant semi finals and a great final
I went to my first England game against Uruguay (only to see Parker make his debut)
and to top it all off we had the italia 90 world cup , a great time to be alive

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Your favourite year for football on 12:39 - Oct 27 with 885 viewspaulparker

Your favourite year for football on 12:15 - Oct 27 by Antti_Heinola

Funny how we mention Italia 90. At the time it was seen as a very negative world cup, nowhere near as good as 86. England's first 4 games were awful, Platt's winner aside. The final was dreadful. Basically it's a tournament that hinges almost completely on a bit of fun for the Irish, two incredible England games and Baggio's goal.

And Caniggia..... scores!

And that blonde Brazilian fan.

Mexico 86 all the way for me.

Don't forget you had the brilliant Holland vs Germany game in Milan
Cameroon against Argentina & Columbia was also very good for the neutrals

agree with you on mexico 86 , you had Joshima rockets, bats vs rats , the Danes taking Uruguay & Germany apart , butreganeo taking the danes apart , Belgium 4 USSR 3 lineker missing a sitter against the argies , hugo sanchez, france knocking out brazil

id also say Euro 88 was an underrated tournament

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Your favourite year for football on 15:28 - Oct 27 with 845 viewsToast_R

I'd go 1989/90 too but I enjoyed everything from as far back as I can remember (1985 ish) to about 1995/96. It all turned shit then. A slight renaissance in the Holloway and Warnock years.

For World Cups, I reckon Mexico 86 was by far the best.
Your favourite year for football on 15:39 - Oct 27 with 839 viewsPinnerPaul

Your favourite year for football on 10:53 - Oct 26 by hoof_hearted

The calendar year 1976 has no competition for anyone old enough to have been there.

The best football ever seen in this country. The chase for the title. The European nights on the terrace under the floodlights of a packed Loftus Road. Jumpers for goalposts...

Yep another vote for that year from me.

75/76 - unbeaten at home and we won something like 17/21 didn't we?

My 2 favourites from that season

QPR2 Arsenal 1 but I remember it for a "Maradonna"like dribble from Stan, ball went just over the bar, but had it gone in, would have been every bit as good as THAT goal v England.

QPR3 Stoke2
Dave Webb scoring the winner right in front of loft in the last minute. Stan took the free kick after ball boy had run on the pitch and placed the ball for him!

Didn't get to many away games but , because we were so good, most were on The Big Match anyway.

My unsung hero from that team was Don Masson - could pick a pass like no one else.

Happy days - up until Wolves v Liverpool anyway!
Your favourite year for football on 08:16 - Oct 28 with 748 viewsTheChef

Your favourite year for football on 13:44 - Oct 26 by 18StoneOfHoop

82/83, 17/18 years old and my best season for supporting the 'Hoops
I went to 36 out of the 42 league games.
Rangers won 10 away games off the plastic.

The season started with a sunny hot 28th August day 1982. Freshly installed Player/Manager/Messiah Kevin Keegan arriving by helicopter and scoring on his debut in the second half and the roaring Geordies lifted the roof going absolutely effing mental..never heard owt like it.

Leeds United away December 4th Leeds terraces were shut down - the attendance was a mere 11,528 - because of hooliganism so R's fans were stuck high up in the God's seats and I think Jim Gregory had paid for the coaches too.Rangers won 1-0 thanks to superbly Venables organised defence,Fenwick leading them all out in a line a la Arsenal - R's fans singing "off-side/off-side...off-side/off-side"

And here as a bonus,just in case our brilliant neighbour the excellent Konk should stick his big beak in and stray this way, is the extraordinary promotion and relegation deciding match of the same season; Derby County v Fulham last game of the campaign. The stakes are high...very high and Malcolm McDonald was destined not to go bed and sleep happy that night.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 14:04]

2010/2011 - nuff said.

That Derby v Fulham game in 1983 was something else!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024