Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forest to try and sign Luongo and Bidwell 21:16 - Jun 20 with 9038 viewsbosh67

According to a few reports. Thoughts?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Forest to try and sign Luongo and Bidwell on 22:56 - Jun 27 with 945 viewsTopCat34

Just seen a video of Mass testing the new site. He's got the Ian Taylor seal of approval - the lad is staying.
Forest to try and sign Luongo and Bidwell on 01:22 - Jun 28 with 849 viewsTrom

I think the thing to take away from this is the need for good coaching. This is a radical departure for QPR as we've not actually improved players for a long, long time now.

Clearly, the business model is to bring in players with talent but rough edges and develop youth team players. I'm all for this but worry about the short term ability to do this given track record of doing the polar opposite.

How many players have actually improved during their Loftus Road stay in the last 5 years? Austin you could argue but he was doing it for Burnley before us. Faulin - not really he looked quality from the first game (we just didn't destroy it - testimony to him).

So I don't have issues with Luongo or Bidwell - both don't shirk and both have quality. It's make or break on the coaching side that will see us sink or swim.

On that note, it's encouraging to see the scouting network get some quality injected. Ramsey, for all his critics as first team manager, is an excellent coach and has a track record for developing young players.

For me, it comes down to Holloway and whether he can actually coach and improve players. I hope he can as he's one of our own.
Forest to try and sign Luongo and Bidwell on 07:49 - Jun 28 with 787 viewsHunterhoop

Forest to try and sign Luongo and Bidwell on 10:22 - Jun 22 by Northernr

His stats suggest the exact opposite.

With the ball he doesn't threaten enough - just three assists and a goal last year.

Without the ball only David Vaughan at Nottingham Forest has a higher average for successful tackles per game (3.8 to Luongo's 3.5) in the entire division and Luongo is our leading midfielder for successful interceptions.

When you take into account his successful tackles, interceptions, blocks and clearances he ranks as the 21st best defensive player in the Championship despite not playing in defence - 14 of the players above him in the list are centre backs.

For the record the only midfielders with better overall defensive stats (tackles, inteceptions, clearances, blocks) than him last season were Hourihane (who ranks 1 for the whole division), Tom Cairney (13th) and Mile Jedinak (18th).

Odd that a player with "shocking positional play" and "an inability to read the game" so often finds himself making more interceptions and tackles all but four other midfielders in the entire division, presumably completely by accident.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/6365/Stages/13832/Pl

This post has been edited by an administrator

What's this? Actual evidence, from an independent body, which completely contradicts certain people's narrrative.

I think Luongo is very good. He would start every week for me.

How can a player be disappearing so often with those stars?! Answer, the stats show he isn't disappearing, it's just you have a set narrative or perception, that even your own eyes won't let be challenged.

Luongo's weakness is not his tackling, positional play, or off the ball movement; he's the best player in our squad for all those. His weakness is that in possession he doesn't contribute to enough goals, either scoring or assisting. For where we've been playing him, he's not done enough here. But, my view, is we've played him in the wrong position and asked the wrong thing if him! I'd have him sitting as the deep, defensive midfielder role in a 442, 433, 4231 at home, and away, have him do so with Hall, for extra cover. Let Freeman, Wszolek and the forwards be the creators. Luongo's job should be to buzz around constantly in midfield, getting the ball back, giving it to one of this creators, offering them an option back, and then, when play moves up the field, leave them to it.

I'd be very disappointed if we sold him.

Bidwell, not fussed. I think Robinson is better and Hammaleinen could be back up. We always have Manning to fill in there too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024