Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Good Ship next to go... 12:23 - Sep 5 with 4686 viewshoof_hearted

THE GOOD SHIP CLOSURE
Dear everyone, I am sorry to inform that The Good Ship will be pulling into dock for good on the 29th October. Our last comedy show will be Monday 23rd October and the last gig will be The Smyths on the 29th. (They did the first gig, it's fitting that they do the last.)
It's a long story but the short version is that the business is no longer viable since we had our hours cut at the end of 2016. We have a reasonably full programme between now and then so please do help us to go out with a bang starting with Geoff Norcott headling the comedy tonight.x
https://www.thegoodship.co.uk/…/2017-09-04-geoff-norcott-th…
The Good Ship next to go... on 13:58 - Sep 5 with 4484 viewskingshill

Very sad to hear.

Goldsmiths in East Acton also allegedly goes on September 24th so I need to find a new pre match pub
The Good Ship next to go... on 15:10 - Sep 5 with 4335 viewsBoston

The Good Ship....RIP.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Good Ship next to go... on 15:14 - Sep 5 with 4324 viewscolinallcars

The Good Ship next to go... on 13:58 - Sep 5 by kingshill

Very sad to hear.

Goldsmiths in East Acton also allegedly goes on September 24th so I need to find a new pre match pub

I hate to see pubs close especially music pubs and old "old blokes'" pubs. I shed fewer tears for gastropubs although I acknowledge some are pretty much OK. The closure of the Goldsmiths leaves the area virtually publess. The Kings Arms in the Vale went a while back, and going back further, the Castle, Leamington and the Western. Modern life is rubbish.
The Good Ship next to go... on 15:56 - Sep 5 with 4244 viewseastside_r

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/

Great site though, if you've got a few hours to lose!
The Good Ship next to go... on 16:23 - Sep 5 with 4176 viewsRBlock

Kings Arms was a bit of a dive though. I wasn't a fan of the Goldsmiths personally but it did a good trade, decent garden. My old man drinks in there quite a lot. Truth of the matter is it is worth more as a block of flats.
The Good Ship next to go... on 16:52 - Sep 5 with 4103 viewscolinallcars

The Good Ship next to go... on 15:56 - Sep 5 by eastside_r

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/

Great site though, if you've got a few hours to lose!

A real litany of woe. Think of all the people that would recreate their hours in these pubs....friendships struck, things bought and sold, trips arranged and all the rest of it. People live a baneful existence without public houses.
The Good Ship next to go... on 17:34 - Sep 5 with 4030 viewsMonahoop

The Good Ship next to go... on 15:14 - Sep 5 by colinallcars

I hate to see pubs close especially music pubs and old "old blokes'" pubs. I shed fewer tears for gastropubs although I acknowledge some are pretty much OK. The closure of the Goldsmiths leaves the area virtually publess. The Kings Arms in the Vale went a while back, and going back further, the Castle, Leamington and the Western. Modern life is rubbish.

It really is a sign of the times. Listening trends have changed along with drinking habits. When music pubs/clubs close down or if they are taken over by new owners, there is a very good chance a music licence will be refused. Gastro pubs or bistros [ how 80's ] are seen to attract less rowdy clienteles generally, thus keeping neighbours happy. Better still, demolish the old venue and build affordable [ ?? ] flats or houses on the site. Live music is now becoming confined to overpriced, trendy summer festivals and that includes some of the smaller less mainstream events. I sigh with despair whenever a music venue plays out its last chords now matter how rough or decent the place was. Yeh, very sad. May be there is a pub rock heaven. If there is, I want to go there when my time comes.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The Good Ship next to go... on 20:45 - Sep 5 with 3791 viewscolinallcars

The Good Ship next to go... on 17:34 - Sep 5 by Monahoop

It really is a sign of the times. Listening trends have changed along with drinking habits. When music pubs/clubs close down or if they are taken over by new owners, there is a very good chance a music licence will be refused. Gastro pubs or bistros [ how 80's ] are seen to attract less rowdy clienteles generally, thus keeping neighbours happy. Better still, demolish the old venue and build affordable [ ?? ] flats or houses on the site. Live music is now becoming confined to overpriced, trendy summer festivals and that includes some of the smaller less mainstream events. I sigh with despair whenever a music venue plays out its last chords now matter how rough or decent the place was. Yeh, very sad. May be there is a pub rock heaven. If there is, I want to go there when my time comes.

It was so easy in the 70s when pub rock was in its pomp. Plenty of pubs to see good chunky bands like Ace and Walrus. The Castle in Harrow Rd and the Kensington just behind Olympia come to mind.
Login to get fewer ads

The Good Ship next to go... on 23:56 - Sep 5 with 3605 viewsfrancisbowles

I was at Brentford tonight and took a walk around the streets. Still got pubs on all four corners. The Old Oak is open, although it looked very quiet. Think it was closed when we were there last season. The other three pubs seemed pretty busy.
The Good Ship next to go... on 07:45 - Sep 6 with 3510 viewscolinallcars

The Good Ship next to go... on 23:56 - Sep 5 by francisbowles

I was at Brentford tonight and took a walk around the streets. Still got pubs on all four corners. The Old Oak is open, although it looked very quiet. Think it was closed when we were there last season. The other three pubs seemed pretty busy.

Still a very good place for pubs. Brentford used to be called the town of taverns and had the highest amount of pubs per capita. Many closed when Brentford ceased to be a major industrial and docks/market area.
The Good Ship next to go... on 10:17 - Sep 6 with 3433 viewsfrancisbowles

The Good Ship next to go... on 07:45 - Sep 6 by colinallcars

Still a very good place for pubs. Brentford used to be called the town of taverns and had the highest amount of pubs per capita. Many closed when Brentford ceased to be a major industrial and docks/market area.

When was that, 70's? I can remember being on the top deck of a bus and going past the old gas works and the piano museum etc.
The Good Ship next to go... on 10:39 - Sep 6 with 3405 viewscolinallcars

The Good Ship next to go... on 10:17 - Sep 6 by francisbowles

When was that, 70's? I can remember being on the top deck of a bus and going past the old gas works and the piano museum etc.

Brentford has been steadily losing pubs since WW2 really, as the place became less industrialised. It used to be the admin centre for Middlesex hence the courts there. The closures have levelled off now, the Albany being the last to shut a few years back, and of course, as you say, the fourth pub around the ground has reopened. I like the Magpie in the High Street and give it much custom !
The Good Ship next to go... on 10:46 - Sep 6 with 3396 viewsfrancisbowles

The Good Ship next to go... on 10:39 - Sep 6 by colinallcars

Brentford has been steadily losing pubs since WW2 really, as the place became less industrialised. It used to be the admin centre for Middlesex hence the courts there. The closures have levelled off now, the Albany being the last to shut a few years back, and of course, as you say, the fourth pub around the ground has reopened. I like the Magpie in the High Street and give it much custom !

There used to be a nice small one, as you leave Brentford towards Hounslow, just over the canal bridge on the left. Can't remember what it was called, used it a few times around 73-74.
The Good Ship next to go... on 14:25 - Sep 6 with 3286 viewscolinallcars

The Good Ship next to go... on 10:46 - Sep 6 by francisbowles

There used to be a nice small one, as you leave Brentford towards Hounslow, just over the canal bridge on the left. Can't remember what it was called, used it a few times around 73-74.

I think it's the Northumberland Arms. It went under another name for a while but now reverted to original name. Nice little pub as you say, several Real Ales and a decent bit o' scran !
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024