Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. 20:28 - Dec 9 with 6713 viewsqprxtc

Only Catch 22 for me.

I read it every five years or so. Gets better every time. I haven’t read a book better so far.

Although, The Dice Man (only read once) is the only book, so far, that has repulsed me, made me cry with laughter and surprised me in one read. It ends perfectly too. I’m kind of scared to read it again though.

But I haven’t read a fiction book on over ten years. Now it’s just history books or music books.

Books are good. Reading is the way to go.

Reading Ray Davies “Autobiography” at the moment.

And drinking a bottle of Southern Comfort.

Great film with Powers Boothe.

I’m rambling.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:10 - Dec 10 with 1515 viewsTheChef

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 04:47 - Dec 10 by Kiwi76

All Played Out - Italia 90 by Pete Davies - still have my original paperback but barely holding together as been lent out a lot as well.
Re- read Animal Farm as one of kids had as school assignment.
Few authors I’ve read every book like James Lee Burke but not gone round again & he’s written plenty.

Ah yes All Played Out - best football book ever. Always worth another read.

1984 by David Peace.

Good shout above for Clive James, need to re-read his autobiographies.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:12 - Dec 10 with 1515 viewsPhildo

Lots of good ones on here already including Graham Greene, Spike Milligan and Patrick O'Brien and I would add Evelyn Waugh.

When very stressed I do like a bit of poetry to calm me down with Larkin and Heaney probably the favourites to return to.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:37 - Dec 10 with 1482 viewsjohncharles

The Third Policeman by Flann O’Brien
All the Raymond Chandler/Philip Marlowe books.
Another vote for Camus The Outsider

Strong and stable my arse.

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:40 - Dec 10 with 1481 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 20:49 - Dec 9 by Esox_Lucius

Malazan, Book Of The Fallen
His Dark Materials
Harry Potter
Lord Of The Rings
The Dark Tower
The Witcher

Currently re-reading all the Malazan books. I bought 'Gardens of the moon' when it came out in '96? so as you can imagine this was about the 5th time I've re-read it. I've nearly finished 'House of Chains' 'WITNESS'

Best series ever.

Guy Sajer 'The Forgotten soldier'
All Sven Hassell books
Tom Holland: In the Shadow of the Sword
Tom Holland: Dynasty

Quite a few more during lockdown.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:44 - Dec 10 with 1476 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:42 - Dec 9 by MrSheen

My pre-teen favourite was Britain’s own brand version, Leo Kessler. According to Wiki, the author was a history professor called Charles Whiting, who wrote 350 books under nearly 350 pseudonyms.

I read them. The 'SS Wotan' was my favourite.

I had some of his history books too as Charles Whiting. I didn't get on with his style.
Lots of numbers and not enough ummmph which is strange considering the novels he wrote.

Roger Crowley he is not.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:56 - Dec 10 with 1463 viewsMrSheen

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:40 - Dec 10 by Metallica_Hoop

Currently re-reading all the Malazan books. I bought 'Gardens of the moon' when it came out in '96? so as you can imagine this was about the 5th time I've re-read it. I've nearly finished 'House of Chains' 'WITNESS'

Best series ever.

Guy Sajer 'The Forgotten soldier'
All Sven Hassell books
Tom Holland: In the Shadow of the Sword
Tom Holland: Dynasty

Quite a few more during lockdown.

The Forgotten Soldier is a cracker, can’t help picking it up and dipping in for an hour. Three years running from the Red Army!
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 09:20 - Dec 10 with 1428 viewsPikey

Lord of the Flies . Did it for O level 50 years ago and read it 4 or 5 times since.
Anything by Sidney Sheldon always worth a re read and Dickens. Hated Dickens when I was younger but absolutely love his stuff now. Finally any Japanese POW books (Railwayman, Magician of the Kwai etc )
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 10:40 - Dec 10 with 1396 viewsloftboy

Most of James Herbert books, read them all as a teenager and have recently repurchased a few, brilliant writer.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 10:50 - Dec 10 with 1384 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Henry Miller - Tropic of Cancer and Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian both spring to mind initially. God knows what that says about me as they're both about as dark and malevolent as you can get.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 11:37 - Dec 10 with 1342 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 07:16 - Dec 10 by essextaxiboy

The Water Road by Paul Gogarty ...... a 4 month solo canal journey around England .

That sounds great, Essex.

I love canals and always wished I'd done more boating on them when I lived in England. I also spend far too much time trying to convince sceptical friends and family to go on canal holidays.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 11:38 - Dec 10 with 1341 viewsEsox_Lucius

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 01:02 - Dec 10 by LythamR

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee
To Kill A Mockingbird
Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant

Have you read the Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson also? He is definitely one of my all time favourite authors. I have a feeling that you would enjoy the Malazan books too. They expand the same depth with the characters as the Thomas Covenant books.

The grass is always greener.

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 11:45 - Dec 10 with 1325 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Always rereading one of the Iain Banks/Iain M Banks books, such an amazing imagination, and humour
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 11:54 - Dec 10 with 1317 viewshantssi

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 21:48 - Dec 9 by themodfather

dune by frank herbert
most tom sharpe, but wilt and porterhouse blue, riotous assembly are very funny.
oddly enough re-reading "stand up virgin soldiers" , wasn't the writer a qpr fan?

Another vote for Tom Sharpe.
Think you’re referring to Leslie Thomas, not sure about him being an R but the Virgin Soldiers were semi autobiographical.
Rest of his books are good too, had them all at one time.
Also like the Shardlake Series books by CJ Samson, about a lawyer in Tudor England.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 11:58 - Dec 10 with 1302 viewsBucksRanger

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 11:54 - Dec 10 by hantssi

Another vote for Tom Sharpe.
Think you’re referring to Leslie Thomas, not sure about him being an R but the Virgin Soldiers were semi autobiographical.
Rest of his books are good too, had them all at one time.
Also like the Shardlake Series books by CJ Samson, about a lawyer in Tudor England.

Leslie Thomas was definitely a Ranger as the piece below will tell you.

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2013/09/leslie-thomas-once-a-ranger-not-always-a-ranger/
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:04 - Dec 10 with 1305 viewsted_hendrix

Bit of a cheeky recommendation but ''Ronnie'' by of course Ron Wood is a great read, his musical background from being a "water gypsy" (his family lived and worked on the canals) although RW was born on dry land.
One of those books that instead of putting it down as you intended you kept on reading.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:08 - Dec 10 with 1298 viewsPhildo

cant believe we are on page three and Konk has not recommended P G Wodehouse yet. Like a Fulham bible.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:11 - Dec 10 with 1290 viewsstowmarketrange

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 11:58 - Dec 10 by BucksRanger

Leslie Thomas was definitely a Ranger as the piece below will tell you.

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2013/09/leslie-thomas-once-a-ranger-not-always-a-ranger/

He used to write bits for the programmes in the 70’s if I remember rightly.
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:13 - Dec 10 with 1286 viewsEastR

A few books that I’ve gone back to on a regular basis over the years

A Scanner Darkly — Philip K Dick. A lot of people avoid PKD as he is best known as a sci-fi writer, but his themes went beyond futuristic landscapes and interplanetary travel. This book is a semi-autobiographical account of substance abuse, paranoia and decline, which has an underlying black sense of humour too.

What I Talk About When I talk about Running — Haruki Murakami. If you’ve ever pulled on a pair of trainers and gone for a run this is a great read. It’s not one of those running books fixated with training plans, diets or race times. It is about someone who has had a fascinating life that has channelled determination, hard work and dedication into his work and the pursuit he enjoys most. As much as I enjoyed this memoir and his relaxed and easy style, I have never got past the first chapter in any of his fiction.

A Christmas Carol — Charles Dickens. I start reading this every year on 1 Dec — a few pages every day it doesn’t take long to get through in the run up to Christmas. Everyone knows the story, or has seen one of the films. Circumstances have changed in 150 years but greed, poverty, social injustice - it could have been written any time, particularly in recent times. At least it ends on a redemptive and positive note, something for us all to aim for.

Happy Christmas!

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:23 - Dec 10 with 1270 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 08:37 - Dec 10 by johncharles

The Third Policeman by Flann O’Brien
All the Raymond Chandler/Philip Marlowe books.
Another vote for Camus The Outsider

And another vote for Chandler/Marlowe. Superbly funny and atomospheric.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:27 - Dec 10 with 1260 viewsTheChef

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:13 - Dec 10 by EastR

A few books that I’ve gone back to on a regular basis over the years

A Scanner Darkly — Philip K Dick. A lot of people avoid PKD as he is best known as a sci-fi writer, but his themes went beyond futuristic landscapes and interplanetary travel. This book is a semi-autobiographical account of substance abuse, paranoia and decline, which has an underlying black sense of humour too.

What I Talk About When I talk about Running — Haruki Murakami. If you’ve ever pulled on a pair of trainers and gone for a run this is a great read. It’s not one of those running books fixated with training plans, diets or race times. It is about someone who has had a fascinating life that has channelled determination, hard work and dedication into his work and the pursuit he enjoys most. As much as I enjoyed this memoir and his relaxed and easy style, I have never got past the first chapter in any of his fiction.

A Christmas Carol — Charles Dickens. I start reading this every year on 1 Dec — a few pages every day it doesn’t take long to get through in the run up to Christmas. Everyone knows the story, or has seen one of the films. Circumstances have changed in 150 years but greed, poverty, social injustice - it could have been written any time, particularly in recent times. At least it ends on a redemptive and positive note, something for us all to aim for.

Happy Christmas!

Maybe I need to read the Murakami book to understand people's obsession with jogging/long distance running.

As forms of exercise it just really doesn't do it for me, I prefer a long walk at a brisk pace. And if I have to run it has to be after something (a ball, a bus) or away from something (Godzilla, Joey Barton).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:40 - Dec 10 with 1252 viewsdanehoop

I have a feeling that my liking for and having read so may of the books mentioned here probably indicates that I am of a similar age to many of those posting. Used to really enjoy and re-read the Sven Hassell novels, but eventually fell out of favour after living in Denmark and getting to understand a little more of authors actual background.

Other books I go back to periodically:
Kim - just a great and wonderful snapshot of India at a particular moment in time.
Sherlock Holmes novels by Arthur Conan Doyle. Again well written stories with great characters and another strong flavour of the darker side of Victorian England
Homage to Catalonia - Fascinating insight into the sights, sounds and horrors of the Spanish Civil War.
Witcher - what more to add, but the books are just a great read once you work out the right order. The TV series surprised me to be fair, I think does a reasonable translation to screen.
Dresden Series by Jim Butcher. When it first came out this was genuinely a very innovative concept which has been copied by many others. Well written, funny and strong characters. The author seemingly stopped writing whilst going through a divorce so ended up re-reading them about 3 times until the new books started to appear again this year.
Eastern Approaches - Fitzroy Maclean - Just incredible memoirs of a genuine war hero and the character that James Bond was apparently modelled on. Just tend to read it every couple of years as it tends to then fire me off looking out similar books by other authors like Peter Hopkirk

Never knowingly understood

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 13:03 - Dec 10 with 1218 viewsericgen34

Obviously all the Asterix (only those written by Goscinny), Tintin, Lagaffe and all my huge BD collection many, many times over

This thing of darkness by Harry Thompson
The whole Audrey-Maturin series
Arabian Sand by Wilfred Thesiger
L'etranger by Albert Camus
Samarcande by Amin Maalouf
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 13:14 - Dec 10 with 1203 viewsEastR

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:27 - Dec 10 by TheChef

Maybe I need to read the Murakami book to understand people's obsession with jogging/long distance running.

As forms of exercise it just really doesn't do it for me, I prefer a long walk at a brisk pace. And if I have to run it has to be after something (a ball, a bus) or away from something (Godzilla, Joey Barton).

I get that, its a personal thing. When I started running I was running away from my old self, now I do it because my new self enjoys it.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 13:38 - Dec 10 with 1179 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Harsh on Mel this thread!
Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 13:50 - Dec 10 with 1165 viewsE17hoop

Books so good that you’ve read them more than once. on 12:27 - Dec 10 by TheChef

Murakami's book is excellent - one of my repeat reads.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024