Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moving 09:40 - Sep 6 with 4835 viewsDubaiR

Morning All,

This morning I have resigned and accepted a role for Ransomes Jacobsen in Ipswich. House is going on the market this week.

Any areas to avoid / look at within an hour of IP3 would be appreciated as don't know the area at all.

Thanks in advance
Moving on 09:44 - Sep 6 with 4164 viewsloftboy

Just moved to Lowestoft, about an hour from Ipswich , I deliver down as far as saxmundham and surrounding areas which is closer and there is some absolutely stunning villages nearby, stowmarket R or Terry are probably your best bets for advice as they have lived this way for longer.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Moving on 09:46 - Sep 6 with 4146 viewsDubaiR

Thanks Loftboy, I did look at Rightmove for that area but was told with traffic it would take around 90 minutes to the office.

At the moment I travel from Gloucester to Thame which takes around 2 hours so ideally with the move travel time is less than an hour.
Moving on 09:50 - Sep 6 with 4125 viewsloftboy

Moving on 09:46 - Sep 6 by DubaiR

Thanks Loftboy, I did look at Rightmove for that area but was told with traffic it would take around 90 minutes to the office.

At the moment I travel from Gloucester to Thame which takes around 2 hours so ideally with the move travel time is less than an hour.

Unless there’s an accident rush hours are nothing like London ! very rarely get caught in traffic, Tractors are my biggest hold ups especially this time of year.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Moving on 09:56 - Sep 6 with 4095 viewsbosh67

My girlfriend has a few flats at Rushbook Mill, Paper Mill Ln, Bramford, Ipswich IP8 4BF. About 15 minutes from the centre. She is selling a one bed and a two bed there. It's a nice quiet location next to a small river. PM me if of any interest and I'll pass you along?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Moving on 09:59 - Sep 6 with 4077 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I think terryb knows the area
Moving on 10:00 - Sep 6 with 4073 viewsessextaxiboy

My Brother (an R ) lives in Boxford , lovely little village , 2 pubs .
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:00 - Sep 6 with 4072 viewsstowmarketrange

The A14 is your biggest problem in travelling to and from work as there is so much traffic on it that the slightest problem causes chaos.
If you’re working at Ransomes,your best areas are Kesgrave,Rushmere or Woodbridge,although there are expensive areas to buy.Anything on that side of town means you won’t have to deal with the A14 much.
Avoid Ravenswood,Pinewood,Nacton and Chantry like the plague.I’m sure there are people who could provide more information than me.
Also Needham Market is a nice town to live as it has everything that could possibly require apart from a brothel.But the travelling might wear you down after a while.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 10:10]
Moving on 10:05 - Sep 6 with 4044 viewsMaggsinho

We regularly holiday in Suffok so know the area well - you'll be spoilt for choice. I would look either side of the A12 up towards the Suffolk coast, some very nice villages around there with easy access to the coast.. An hour should take you as far as Southwold.

Or for a town closer to home then Woodbridge.

In the other direction you've got Constable Country - eg Manningtree and other villages which is also pleasant.
Login to get fewer ads

Moving on 10:05 - Sep 6 with 4042 viewsDubaiR

Bosh cheers mate but looking for family home as all moving. Would she have any innterest in renting one out for two months as won’t complete before move up
Moving on 10:09 - Sep 6 with 4014 viewscolinallcars

Moving on 10:05 - Sep 6 by Maggsinho

We regularly holiday in Suffok so know the area well - you'll be spoilt for choice. I would look either side of the A12 up towards the Suffolk coast, some very nice villages around there with easy access to the coast.. An hour should take you as far as Southwold.

In the other direction you've got Constable Country - eg Manningtree and other villages which is also pleasant.

My favourite village round there is Westleton but there are so many. As a lover of Adnams beers I get to Suffolk as often as I can.
Moving on 10:13 - Sep 6 with 4001 viewsGloryHunter

Ipswich has a dreadful traffic problem. For a town with a population of 130,000-odd, they manage to create a London-style gridlock every morning & evening. It has far too many roundabouts and traffic lights, as though transport policy is being carried out by a student just out of college, with a boxful of roundabouts and traffic lights as his only toys. They recently installed yet another set of four-way traffic lights at the junction of Portman Road and London Road, which was completely uncalled for, as the traffic is always queuing for a roundabout about 50 metres away anyway.

Oh, and there are fixed and roving speed cameras everywhere. I had been driving for 40 years without a speeding ticket before I bought a house in Suffolk - then got three tickets in two years.

If getting to work on time is your most pressing need, then Ransomes is most easily accessible from the south, via the A14. Anywhere north will risk you getting stuck.
Moving on 11:20 - Sep 6 with 3837 viewsbosh67

Moving on 10:05 - Sep 6 by DubaiR

Bosh cheers mate but looking for family home as all moving. Would she have any innterest in renting one out for two months as won’t complete before move up

Totally understand and will ask.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Moving on 11:37 - Sep 6 with 3785 viewsTheChef

Bit of a shlep from Dubai.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Moving on 14:11 - Sep 6 with 3527 viewsPinnerPaul

Moving on 10:05 - Sep 6 by Maggsinho

My brother in law lives in Woodbridge, station is right bang in the middle of the town - 20 mins from Ipswich.
Moving on 14:17 - Sep 6 with 3512 viewsBoston

Moving on 10:13 - Sep 6 by GloryHunter

Ipswich has a dreadful traffic problem. For a town with a population of 130,000-odd, they manage to create a London-style gridlock every morning & evening. It has far too many roundabouts and traffic lights, as though transport policy is being carried out by a student just out of college, with a boxful of roundabouts and traffic lights as his only toys. They recently installed yet another set of four-way traffic lights at the junction of Portman Road and London Road, which was completely uncalled for, as the traffic is always queuing for a roundabout about 50 metres away anyway.

Oh, and there are fixed and roving speed cameras everywhere. I had been driving for 40 years without a speeding ticket before I bought a house in Suffolk - then got three tickets in two years.

If getting to work on time is your most pressing need, then Ransomes is most easily accessible from the south, via the A14. Anywhere north will risk you getting stuck.

Don't think speeding tickets will be a problem.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Moving on 14:34 - Sep 6 with 3467 viewsDevonWhite

Moving on 09:46 - Sep 6 by DubaiR

I'm moving the other way so will take the opportunity to ask if you can recommend good places to live in/near to Gloucestershire. My partner has been offered a job in Cheltenham and we're considering Stroud, maybe even Worcester as it's only 25 mins on the train. Not huge fans of Cheltenham itself. Would prefer a town/city to a village. What's Gloucester itself like?
Moving on 15:39 - Sep 6 with 3304 viewsgordanoR

Moving on 14:34 - Sep 6 by DevonWhite

I'm moving the other way so will take the opportunity to ask if you can recommend good places to live in/near to Gloucestershire. My partner has been offered a job in Cheltenham and we're considering Stroud, maybe even Worcester as it's only 25 mins on the train. Not huge fans of Cheltenham itself. Would prefer a town/city to a village. What's Gloucester itself like?

We live in Cam which is near Dursley & my wife works in Cheltenham which is easily commutable, there's not a lot to do here though. Loads of new build houses going up in the area. Not that I've been for years but getting to/from London for games can be a bit of a pain.

I would avoid Stroud as it s a bit of a shithole in places & the traffic can be awful, it also got a bit of a hippy vibe to is which is fine if you're into all that but I personally don't like the place.
Moving on 15:51 - Sep 6 with 3263 viewshantssi

Moving on 14:34 - Sep 6 by DevonWhite

I worked in Gloucester a few years back and upon asking the hotel receptionist where the best place to go for a night out, the answer came back “Cheltenham”!
We did try 1 night out there but apart from the docks it was pretty desperate.
Moving on 16:28 - Sep 6 with 3187 viewsBoston

Moving on 15:39 - Sep 6 by gordanoR

We live in Cam which is near Dursley & my wife works in Cheltenham which is easily commutable, there's not a lot to do here though. Loads of new build houses going up in the area. Not that I've been for years but getting to/from London for games can be a bit of a pain.

I would avoid Stroud as it s a bit of a shithole in places & the traffic can be awful, it also got a bit of a hippy vibe to is which is fine if you're into all that but I personally don't like the place.

Dursley might be ok now I'm more advanced in years, but I wouldn't have fancied living there when I was younger. My brother in law (long dead), was the son of the local Methodist minister, he frequented a pub called the Kings Head if I recall and er there didn't seem to be much else going on. He was bit on the dour side, probably didn't help with my thoughts on the place.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 16:29]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Moving on 16:39 - Sep 6 with 3148 viewsgordanoR

Moving on 16:28 - Sep 6 by Boston

Dursley might be ok now I'm more advanced in years, but I wouldn't have fancied living there when I was younger. My brother in law (long dead), was the son of the local Methodist minister, he frequented a pub called the Kings Head if I recall and er there didn't seem to be much else going on. He was bit on the dour side, probably didn't help with my thoughts on the place.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 16:29]

The Kings Head is still there but it occasionally closes as no can seem to make a go of the place. The Old Spot which is just round the corner is a fantastic pub though.
Moving on 16:56 - Sep 6 with 3112 viewsBlue_Castello

Ironically I now spend a lot of my time juggling the fixture list between being in Uxbridge and Ipswich , we have been renovating a house up in Ipswich IP1, the reason not surprisingly is family live up there and we look after the grandchildren quite regularly.
Stow and Terryb are the men on the ground for the recommendations, there are loads of lovely villages but you have to start somewhere. If money is not an issue then definitely look in Woodbridge its a lovely place right on the river, beautiful walk around the towpath with the dogs on many an occasion.
You need to take a trip up there for a week and have a drive around , there's plenty of nice places within less than an hours commute but the A12 and A14 can be manic in the rush hours.
Orford is another nice place not too far from Ipswich, it's also on the river if you are looking for rural but I'm sure it's not at the cheaper end of the market. The Adnams in the Jolly Sailor is excellent and they have a nice pub garden, we were there a couple of weeks back but I made sure I didn't miss the home games.....
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 17:04]
Moving on 19:20 - Sep 6 with 2876 viewsDubaiR

Devon, we live in Quedgeley. Cheltenham is lovely although alittle snobby. I find Stroud abit strange. Feel free to drop me a pm
Moving on 19:35 - Sep 6 with 2848 viewsGloryHunter

Dubai, if you don't want to live in Ipswich itself, then I recommend you try and be somewhere with a railway station, so you're not entirely reliant on driving to get into London. So Manningtree, maybe. Or, on the East Suffolk line, Woodbridge, Melton, Campsey Ash, Saxmundham, Halesworth.

When we moved to Suffolk, I made the mistake of wanting to be in total isolation in the countryside, but now I'm getting older I regret being so dependent on the car. We are planning to sell up and move back to London.
Moving on 20:16 - Sep 6 with 2792 viewsstowmarketrange

Moving on 19:35 - Sep 6 by GloryHunter

Dubai, if you don't want to live in Ipswich itself, then I recommend you try and be somewhere with a railway station, so you're not entirely reliant on driving to get into London. So Manningtree, maybe. Or, on the East Suffolk line, Woodbridge, Melton, Campsey Ash, Saxmundham, Halesworth.

When we moved to Suffolk, I made the mistake of wanting to be in total isolation in the countryside, but now I'm getting older I regret being so dependent on the car. We are planning to sell up and move back to London.

Manningtree is good because it’s the first station in the network southeast rail network,so a railcard saves loads over the year.That’s where I used to park up for the train in?but now I’m over 60 the senior railcard saves money from stowmarket now.And there is a lovely pub right by my station that welcomes this qpr fan.
I live in a village with a very patchy bus service and no pub,and I’d love to move back to a town with a few decent facilities in case I get too old or ill to drive myself around in the future.
Moving on 21:10 - Sep 6 with 2658 viewskensalriser

Do you want to live in town or a village? Town tends to be a little cheaper. For commuting to Ransomes the east side of town is better, lots of family houses around the hospital area. Kesgrave and Rushmore are a little further out. On the other side of town Copdock, Sproughton and Bramford are close to the A14 but rush hour traffic over the Orwell Bridge might get tedious, although even in traffic it shouldn't be more than 30 mins. There are two Nactons by the way, Nacton estate to avoid, Nacton village fine.

Give me a shout if you need a family house to rent in the interim, as I will have one available within a month or two.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024