Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ainsworth 17:14 - Sep 30 with 122997 viewsGloucs_R

Needs to be a discussion had.....

The squad we've got are not bottom 3.

We're getting tactically outmanoeuvred at home almost every time we play.

It's not a lack of experience in the team anymore. A lack of firepower, possibly, but we should be better than this.

Edit, perhaps I should have said our starting xi are not bottom 3. I agree, the overall squad is poor.
[Post edited 30 Sep 2023 17:29]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Ainsworth on 01:14 - Oct 4 with 3230 viewsHoopsie

Ainsworth on 13:02 - Oct 3 by GaryBannister86

This is what winds me up most about Ainsworth, look at his quote about tomorrow. "Leeds are a premier league outfit, but anybody can beat anybody on their day".

Moving aside the obvious point that they are definitely not a premier league outfit, that is the sort of thing a League Two manager comes out with when they draw a big club away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

Why does he have to paint us so negatively the whole time. How about a bit of confidence?

Leeds are not a premier league team, but Ainsworth not completely wrong to say they have close to a premier league team, if he meant that actually.

"anybody can beat anybody on their day" is not so negative? In fact it exudes a bit of defiance and maybe a bit of confidence?

I think I can understand why he said what he said and why some will find it tedious he kept repeating the same but you have to consider, very obviously, virtually noone gave us a chance at the start of the season by predicting QPR as one of the 3 relegation candidates in betting sites, AI predicting algorithms and in many other previews of the season and also many a thread on this site including this one that clearly shows a considerable number of fans having no confidence in Ainsworth as manager and his tactics (including a recent tweet when a player came out to "defend" his manager from a QPR supporting journalist)

what do you want him to say?

what would you have said in that Leeds interview if you knew your back is against the wall this whole time the moment you stepped in as a QPR manager?
[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 1:16]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Ainsworth on 07:57 - Oct 4 with 2983 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ainsworth on 01:14 - Oct 4 by Hoopsie

Leeds are not a premier league team, but Ainsworth not completely wrong to say they have close to a premier league team, if he meant that actually.

"anybody can beat anybody on their day" is not so negative? In fact it exudes a bit of defiance and maybe a bit of confidence?

I think I can understand why he said what he said and why some will find it tedious he kept repeating the same but you have to consider, very obviously, virtually noone gave us a chance at the start of the season by predicting QPR as one of the 3 relegation candidates in betting sites, AI predicting algorithms and in many other previews of the season and also many a thread on this site including this one that clearly shows a considerable number of fans having no confidence in Ainsworth as manager and his tactics (including a recent tweet when a player came out to "defend" his manager from a QPR supporting journalist)

what do you want him to say?

what would you have said in that Leeds interview if you knew your back is against the wall this whole time the moment you stepped in as a QPR manager?
[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 1:16]

Agree with this - people need to stop beating GA with a silly stick re the minutiae of his pre-match rhetoricals. We've got plenty else to worry about, let's face it. He also said post-Coventry, albeit a bit manically, that we could go up there and disrupt their party, no problem. (Can't see it, I'm sorry to say, but it was defiant rather than defeatist.)

Sadly, I foresee things getting worse before they get better, or possibly just getting worse. Unless we add some creativity and goalscoring threat in January, or Armstrong undergoes a Les-like metamorphosis, I fear our goose could be cooked by Christmas.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Ainsworth on 08:14 - Oct 4 with 3007 viewsdaveB

One factor with Warnock is he usually comes in just relaxes everyone, has a laugh with the players, makes training fun and creates a team spirit in a dressing room that is broken. That won't be easy here as team spirit isn't really the problem it's a lack of quality and really the only way to change that is with good recruitment which we now can't afford
Ainsworth on 09:38 - Oct 4 with 2904 viewsCateLeBonR

Ainsworth on 07:57 - Oct 4 by stainrods_elbow

Agree with this - people need to stop beating GA with a silly stick re the minutiae of his pre-match rhetoricals. We've got plenty else to worry about, let's face it. He also said post-Coventry, albeit a bit manically, that we could go up there and disrupt their party, no problem. (Can't see it, I'm sorry to say, but it was defiant rather than defeatist.)

Sadly, I foresee things getting worse before they get better, or possibly just getting worse. Unless we add some creativity and goalscoring threat in January, or Armstrong undergoes a Les-like metamorphosis, I fear our goose could be cooked by Christmas.

I think Smyth might be an important player for us as the season develops. I’ve not seen one defence yet that has really got to grips with him. Needs to improve his crossing a bit. Will be able to play further forward once we get the new lad firing (err). If, if, if…
Ainsworth on 09:44 - Oct 4 with 2864 viewsTheChef

Ainsworth on 19:24 - Oct 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Football, but now you mention it...

Ask the French

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ainsworth on 10:08 - Oct 4 with 2787 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ainsworth on 08:14 - Oct 4 by daveB

One factor with Warnock is he usually comes in just relaxes everyone, has a laugh with the players, makes training fun and creates a team spirit in a dressing room that is broken. That won't be easy here as team spirit isn't really the problem it's a lack of quality and really the only way to change that is with good recruitment which we now can't afford

Same man who left the dressing room discipline to Barton, Hill & Derry? which ended up with a poisonous atmosphere among cliques of players.
After weeks of pressers saying what a privilege it was to be playing (insert name of famous club who were our opponents) the fans were getting sick of it, culminating in the debacle at MK Dons with the R's fans singing "Sacked in the morning". He was no Redknapp by a long stretch but he wasn't Gordon Jago either.

The grass is always greener.

Ainsworth on 11:01 - Oct 4 with 2702 viewsterryb

Let me start this by saying that I can't see any point in removing Gareth Ainsworth as manager, even though I'm more convinced than I was in February that he is not the right appointment.

I would also say that apart from the Watford & Coventry games, the performances are better than last season & exceeded my expectations.

However, throughout the summer I read that our record at the end of last season was due to the circumstances he inherited, that our points tally this season would improve due to the signings he would make, and the fact that he would have the whole summer to work with the players.

Well, before the Leeds match it has! This season we are averaging 0.889 points per game rather than the 0.846 we achieved under Gareth last season, but we need three points from our next four games to match the record of 11 points from 13 games. This is hardly the improvement that some envisaged. A concern of mine is that the management team are not proactive during the game and not making changes when required to try and change the course of the match.

I still feel that we will avoid relegation, but another couple of performances like last Saturday will leave me in doubt. I thought we were as dire in the first half as we were in the second!
Ainsworth on 12:17 - Oct 4 with 2573 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ainsworth on 10:08 - Oct 4 by Esox_Lucius

Same man who left the dressing room discipline to Barton, Hill & Derry? which ended up with a poisonous atmosphere among cliques of players.
After weeks of pressers saying what a privilege it was to be playing (insert name of famous club who were our opponents) the fans were getting sick of it, culminating in the debacle at MK Dons with the R's fans singing "Sacked in the morning". He was no Redknapp by a long stretch but he wasn't Gordon Jago either.

That tired old trope from you slagging off Hill and Derry as troublemakers again?
You never liked Warnock and it shows in this this thread.
All three are QPR legends whether you like it or not.
Login to get fewer ads

Ainsworth on 12:24 - Oct 4 with 2574 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I mention this only as a example of the way we look both ways and with tinted glasses when it comes to our managers, and not as a criticism of Warnock, but I distinctly remember him saying we are going to get some hidings during the season ahead of this match:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/15051267

Also, we could dig up the Warnock Out thread. Plenty calling for his head after MK.

Keep Ainsworth, faults and all.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 12:25]
Ainsworth on 13:00 - Oct 4 with 2497 viewsrobith

Every Ainsworth thread:
Ainsworth on 13:03 - Oct 4 with 2439 viewsstainrods_elbow

Ainsworth on 15:34 - Oct 3 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't think it's picking holes, Chef, we're just chatting here.

I just like positive talk as a psychological tool, and Ainsworth and Dobson are strong on that, so I find it a bit odd and slightly contradictory for him to be bigging up the oppo and stressing the challenges ahead.

It's not a deal-breaker for me or anything like that, just an observation: after all Gerry Francis did the very same and he was one of our very best managers.

GF was depressingaly, almost tragicomically, prone to it - I remember I wrote a piece called 'Talking Us Up' for AKUTRs about it. He clearly had some kind of Rangers-shaped inferiority complex, as was evident from his tendency to give post-match interviews to his shoes. (Never saw too much of it when he was at Spuds for some reason)

GA's approach seems to be more trying to galvanise the team through a kind of post-Wycombe underdog defiance, and I wonder about e.g. his approach to Willock here - does he put his arm round him in private, show him videos of how good he used to be, and try to persuade him he could have the Champ on toast again? Or is it more 'you've been through a lot, Chris, so it's baby steps, we're not going to rush you or expect too much etc.'? Which could mean the player goes on seeing himself as one of the walking wounded, rather than fighting to get back to where he was.

On paper, for me, and despite its apparent limitations, this squad is as strong as, or probably better than, Warburton's, and yet our form seems to be plumbing new depths. It's desperately concerning and an indictment of just about everything and everyone at the club.

Premier League or not, tonight is massive. Weirdly, I fancy us to nick a result.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 13:07]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Ainsworth on 13:22 - Oct 4 with 2434 viewsDieByYourSide

QPR being sh*t isn't new for any of us. But even the very worst sides we could care to remember won't have gone 1 win in 20 at home.

Clive mentions that the current owners are the ones who got us into this FFP situation, which is true, but are we meant to hound them out? As he also mentions so often, the club loses £2m a month just treading water in the Championship so who's going to want to take that on?

Ainsworth is a divisive figure but whatever fans think of him the likelihood is we're not going to attract anyone much better in the middle of the season and I doubt anyone wants to go back to the chopping & changing of managers we saw under Briatore.

Right now I'm not sure what options we have other than sticking with it through this season and hoping we're still in the division once some FFP headroom opens up.

Or hit the Warnock button of course, which you can definitely see the ownership doing.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Ainsworth on 13:35 - Oct 4 with 2386 viewscharmr

I really think Warnock isn’t a big fan of ours. When he came on the pitch against Cardiff he seemed to be having more fun and connection with them. His ego got stroked at Rangers nothing else nothing more.

As for GA absolutely ridiculous to not let him get on with it regardless of the pantomime we have become.

Clubs search and search for that illusive manager to get it right and they don’t come along very often. Look at Ipswich.
Ainsworth on 14:01 - Oct 4 with 2331 viewsQPRConor2000

After watching this, or bearing to watch it rather, I think its pretty clear that Ainsworth is under pressure, not the usual smiling self.

With the October international break fast coming up, its a vital week for him.

I think if we dont win at least one of the next two games, then I personally think a change might occur.
Ainsworth on 14:16 - Oct 4 with 2302 viewscaptainmycaptian

Well I am sure the calculation of the money lost if we re relegated such as chance of playoffs or promotion, tv rights, gate recipient ect has been placed against bringing NW. Could NW do what it seems GA can't. If GA does it then I will be surprised in fact will eat my hat. If anyone could it would probably be NW. We need to improve home form without a doubt I think the home game at Blackburn is make or break with the international break if no change then we are rising this all the way with GA maybe the overall strategy is to keep GA and he try and take us back up ? Either way it's a shame to see the club back so close to relegation again.
Ainsworth on 14:19 - Oct 4 with 2296 viewsTheChef

Ainsworth on 14:01 - Oct 4 by QPRConor2000

After watching this, or bearing to watch it rather, I think its pretty clear that Ainsworth is under pressure, not the usual smiling self.

With the October international break fast coming up, its a vital week for him.

I think if we dont win at least one of the next two games, then I personally think a change might occur.

Certainly the brow is ever more furrowed.

But you know it's a results business, Brian. Inevitably there'll be pressure.

To paraphrase the great Keith Miller - "Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, managing football teams is not"

Ainsworth on 14:40 - Oct 4 with 2258 viewsfrancisbowles

Ainsworth on 11:31 - Oct 3 by Wegerles_Stairs

Yes, but if you commit to that, then sacking him a few months later when we weren't even in the relegation zone, is perhaps not the smartest move...

Agreed
Ainsworth on 15:17 - Oct 4 with 2145 viewsPindarus

Watching an Ainsworth interview is like being permanently trapped in Purgatory. If only he'd say something original for once.
Ainsworth on 15:22 - Oct 4 with 2118 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ainsworth on 12:17 - Oct 4 by Ned_Kennedys

That tired old trope from you slagging off Hill and Derry as troublemakers again?
You never liked Warnock and it shows in this this thread.
All three are QPR legends whether you like it or not.

Truth not trope. Direct from the fitness coach at the time. They made Zamora's life a misery, resulting in the comment that he would rather be fishing. You also seem to have a very low bar for legends.

The grass is always greener.

Ainsworth on 15:51 - Oct 4 with 2081 viewsTheChef

Ainsworth on 15:17 - Oct 4 by Pindarus

Watching an Ainsworth interview is like being permanently trapped in Purgatory. If only he'd say something original for once.

You know you're not obliged to watch/listen.

Ainsworth on 15:51 - Oct 4 with 2080 viewsW7Ranger

Ainsworth on 11:18 - Oct 1 by Northernr

I find it strange that we won at Cardiff without Colback, with Armstrong up and Dykes off him. Colback's been out for three games, Dykes and Armstrong have been available throughout, and we haven't started like that again.

Dykes and Armstrong played together v Brum didn't they?
Ainsworth on 16:08 - Oct 4 with 2014 viewsW7Ranger

Ainsworth on 11:37 - Oct 1 by ted_hendrix

He knew full well last season the squad he was inherating and he knew full well the clubs finances, he also knew full well that when he took over we were 8 points clear of relegation and you could say reasonably comfortable league position wise and yet by the end of last season we could and probably should have been relegated but for another club having a points deduction we escaped relegation.

This season he has brought In the players he has wanted too "given our budget and FFP constraints" and lo and behold by todays date we are already In the relegation zone, not because of crap refereeing decisions, not because of bad luck, not because of 'wicked deflections'

The reasons we are In the relegation zone Is down to our Manager, and our players who are just plain and simple not good enough.

Nobody forced GA Into the job, he attended the Interviews of his own free will, all this 'poor Gareth' stuff Is nonsense.

Week on week this club Is slowly getting worse and sinking, jesus wept we get celebrations on this MB If we manage a draw at home, FFS Is this really as good as It gets.?

Yesterday was another home loss, all the problems laid bare out there on the pitch for all to see, just as It will be at home to Blackburn.

Thank f ck we crept In the back door and burgled those two wins at Cardiff and Middlesbrough.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 12:27]

To say we were in a reasonably comfortable league position when GA came in and 8pts clear is glossing over the reality of the situation at the time. If we were "comfortable", then why sack Critchley? The truth of the matter is that when Critchley came in, we were just outside the play offs, albeit on a poor run, but still VERY comfortably placed. Critchley managed 1 win in 12 games and was sacked, whilst we were dropping like a stone down the table. Our confidence was completely shot. So we were far from reasonably comfortable.

GA had to stop the freefall and turn things around with the tools he had available at the time. And he managed that by finishing 6pts and 2 places above the relegation zone. Reading's pts deductions is a result of financial irregularities and therefore they were punished accordingly. Not our fault, and that's not our luck that it happened, but there mismanagement. But not only that, irrespective of the pts deductions, we still would've been safe.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 16:10]
Ainsworth on 16:12 - Oct 4 with 1992 viewsAntti_Heinola

One thing that's been overlooked is that while some say Gaz has been a bit negative in interviews (Leeds are a Prem side etc), he's also twice now effectively promised upswings in form which never materialised. Last season the infamous 'cavalry is coming' quotes, which fell flat. This season, it was everything would be better after the international break. It's worse.

Bare bones.

Ainsworth on 18:22 - Oct 4 with 1822 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ainsworth on 16:08 - Oct 4 by W7Ranger

To say we were in a reasonably comfortable league position when GA came in and 8pts clear is glossing over the reality of the situation at the time. If we were "comfortable", then why sack Critchley? The truth of the matter is that when Critchley came in, we were just outside the play offs, albeit on a poor run, but still VERY comfortably placed. Critchley managed 1 win in 12 games and was sacked, whilst we were dropping like a stone down the table. Our confidence was completely shot. So we were far from reasonably comfortable.

GA had to stop the freefall and turn things around with the tools he had available at the time. And he managed that by finishing 6pts and 2 places above the relegation zone. Reading's pts deductions is a result of financial irregularities and therefore they were punished accordingly. Not our fault, and that's not our luck that it happened, but there mismanagement. But not only that, irrespective of the pts deductions, we still would've been safe.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2023 16:10]

Exactly.

Saying QPR were comfortable when he took over is like saying the Titanic was afloat five minutes after the iceberg struck.
Ainsworth on 20:29 - Oct 4 with 1742 viewsrbee

Gaz doesn't help himself. He hasn't set us up properly tonight and won't make changes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024