Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers 17:23 - Mar 29 with 18599 viewsDylanP

Great performance today, for a really important win. But it is no surprise that our two goals came from defenders. I cannot remember a single shot from Frey or Armstrong and while both were influential, ultimately they are there to score goals. Both Willock and Chair had really good opportunities that they slashed at and skied it miles over the bar from close range. Again both had their moments, but in the end, balls in the back of the net speak loudest. We often talk about the elusive 20-goals-a-season striker but we aren't even close to having a 10-goals-a-season striker. Our top goalscorer this season is Chair with 5. That is pathetic.

This is the team that is going to keep us up and Marti is the man, but in the off-season job number 1 has to be to get a striker who can score goals.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 17:45 - Mar 29 with 5746 viewsbosh67

Number 1 job is to stay up whoever can get the ball in the net.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 17:55 - Mar 29 with 5615 viewsDamo1962

We have conceded 51 goals, one of the best defensive records in the bottom third of the table. If we had a forward worthy of the name...we'd already be on the beach. Really concerned that Frey and Anderson seem to be another pair of non scoring types. Willock and Chair have also been a disappointment for me this season. We have the spine of a decent Championship team, but goals win games...and we don't score enough. Big decision in the summer if we stay up as to who we retain. Need at least one if not two new strikers at least. And I know it isn't easy for clubs like us...but we aren't the only ones.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:00 - Mar 29 with 5589 viewsmart_Goblin

All valid points and lots of truth but let’s have a day off shall we and enjoy the win for a bit
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:01 - Mar 29 with 5574 viewsdmm

Our finishing has been atrocious this season but let's just enjoy today's win. That's enough for me right now.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:03 - Mar 29 with 5522 viewsDamo1962

It's our profilagy in front of goal...that make results and days like today even more special for me. 😎
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:05 - Mar 29 with 5525 viewsLblock

Thought we looked totally blunt until Armstrong came on.

Was also amazed that Anderson stayed on; thought he was by and large fairly awful.

Really hope Armstrong starts on Monday but sure Saint Marti will go with Dykes the Mule.
It’s a real issue up top but as long as we Nick wins and draws we will be happy.
Agree it’s priority number one this summer along with GK

I have a hope that Kolli returns to the fold and scores his first senior goal to confirm safety in a couple of weeks

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:13 - Mar 29 with 5452 viewsCFW

I have to say totally agree with OP. Look at Bacuna today, he was in my opinion the best player on the pitch along with our Jimmy. Held the ball up, looked to create chances and looked to score.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:24 - Mar 29 with 5387 viewsLandshark

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:05 - Mar 29 by Lblock

Thought we looked totally blunt until Armstrong came on.

Was also amazed that Anderson stayed on; thought he was by and large fairly awful.

Really hope Armstrong starts on Monday but sure Saint Marti will go with Dykes the Mule.
It’s a real issue up top but as long as we Nick wins and draws we will be happy.
Agree it’s priority number one this summer along with GK

I have a hope that Kolli returns to the fold and scores his first senior goal to confirm safety in a couple of weeks

Agree on Anderson. I really thought he was going to get subbed off for Dykes for the last 10 to have 2 up top. It worked out in the end though.

In terms of the original point though...it's the exact same conversations as we were having before the start of this season. Everyone knew we needed a striker and we didn't have enough goals in us for the season. The club probably also wanted to buy a striker. Unfortunately we just don't have the money to drop a couple of million on a striker. Unless Eze gets sold it will be the same again this summer.
Login to get fewer ads

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:54 - Mar 29 with 5202 viewstraininvain

Frey looks like a centre forward who hasn’t played much football this season and trying to find his feet midway through a season but I fancy he’ll be a different beast next season assuming we keep him.

Armstrong continues to be a handful but very raw and will benefit more than most under Cifuentes. Can’t help but love his desire to win and wild celebrations when we win!

It’ll be interesting to see if Dykes gets any minutes on Monday / next Saturday. He looked thoroughly p1ssed off warming up towards the end today. Hopefully that’ll give him the motivation to put a shift in next time he’s called upon.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:55 - Mar 29 with 5182 viewsDamo1962

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:24 - Mar 29 by Landshark

Agree on Anderson. I really thought he was going to get subbed off for Dykes for the last 10 to have 2 up top. It worked out in the end though.

In terms of the original point though...it's the exact same conversations as we were having before the start of this season. Everyone knew we needed a striker and we didn't have enough goals in us for the season. The club probably also wanted to buy a striker. Unfortunately we just don't have the money to drop a couple of million on a striker. Unless Eze gets sold it will be the same again this summer.

I don't think Marti will allow us to go into next season if we stay up...without adding at least one proven striker. Can't keep saying we can't find any - otherwise any progress will just stall. Reckon MC and the club are already sorting something out.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:43 - Mar 29 with 5055 viewsstainrods_elbow

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:24 - Mar 29 by Landshark

A lot of other clubs don't have 'two million to drop on a striker either', but still manage to play a forward or two who fulfils his job description. This deficit has been going on (or I guess not going on) for so long now it's beyond embarrassing - it's actually quite surreal! Frey was about as dangerous as a half-baked Swiss roll today, and with Willock, Chair and Andersen all leaving their shooting boots in the dressing room, it took two defenders to get us out of jail. Gloriously, and thrillingly, but it shouldn't paper over the major cracks.

I still think we deserved it today for chances created and all-round resilience, but, assuming we stay up, unless we add to the squad significantly this summer, FFP or no FFP, it's likely to be another mediocre campaign next year at best, with or without Marti.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:57 - Mar 29 with 4995 viewsted_hendrix

We haven't had a striker for yonks, on the subject of Armstrong he had his shirt pulled relentlessly which must have been frustrating for the bloke,. should Armstrong start scoring on a regular basis he'd be sold within a second.
Prior to our winner Armstrong done a number on Sanderson taking the Birmingham defender out of the game.
I only mention this because Paul Furlong was a master at this.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:20 - Mar 29 with 4888 viewsEsox_Lucius

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:54 - Mar 29 by traininvain

Frey looks like a centre forward who hasn’t played much football this season and trying to find his feet midway through a season but I fancy he’ll be a different beast next season assuming we keep him.

Armstrong continues to be a handful but very raw and will benefit more than most under Cifuentes. Can’t help but love his desire to win and wild celebrations when we win!

It’ll be interesting to see if Dykes gets any minutes on Monday / next Saturday. He looked thoroughly p1ssed off warming up towards the end today. Hopefully that’ll give him the motivation to put a shift in next time he’s called upon.

When has Dykes not put a shift in? After Chair, he works harder than anyone.

The grass is always greener.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:24 - Mar 29 with 4866 viewsLogman

Reality check needed. The strikers are doing OK. Unless we are behind with ten to go we play one up front every game and the number nine is there as much to 'occupy' the centre backs and give Willock, Chair, Andersen the space in front of the centre backs in which to play, as much as to score.

Additionally, you can bemoan the centre forwards but we haven't played 4-4-2 with wingers crossing the ball into the box for several years now. If we did, then I'm sure Frey and Dykes would get onto the end of a lot more and score more goals but we don't.

Like I say, the first 45 minutes of every game no striker playing up front on his own is going to score many goals. To score a lot of goals up front on your own you've got to have a £20 million price tag, like Victor Gyokeres or Ivan Toney.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:26 - Mar 29 with 4859 viewsLandshark

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:43 - Mar 29 by stainrods_elbow

A lot of other clubs don't have 'two million to drop on a striker either', but still manage to play a forward or two who fulfils his job description. This deficit has been going on (or I guess not going on) for so long now it's beyond embarrassing - it's actually quite surreal! Frey was about as dangerous as a half-baked Swiss roll today, and with Willock, Chair and Andersen all leaving their shooting boots in the dressing room, it took two defenders to get us out of jail. Gloriously, and thrillingly, but it shouldn't paper over the major cracks.

I still think we deserved it today for chances created and all-round resilience, but, assuming we stay up, unless we add to the squad significantly this summer, FFP or no FFP, it's likely to be another mediocre campaign next year at best, with or without Marti.

I just had a look at strikers or forwards in the Championship who have scored more than 10 goals this season. Yes you can potentially pick up bargains but the likely you're going to need to spend big.

Adam Armstrong - £15 million
Haji Wright - £9 million
Josh Sargent - £9.5 million
Jamie Vardy - £1 million
Ryan Hardie - unknown, probably cheap
Will Keane - unknown, probably cheap
Nathan Broadhead - £1.5 million
Joël Piroe - £10 million
Ellis Simms - £7 million
Stephy Mavididi - £7.5 million
Ché Adams - £15 million
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:43 - Mar 29 with 4769 viewstraininvain

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:20 - Mar 29 by Esox_Lucius

When has Dykes not put a shift in? After Chair, he works harder than anyone.

Maybe the wrong choice of words but Frey works harder than Dykes and he’s barely played for the best part of a year.

Healthy competition for places and hopefully Dykes will prove the doubters wrong much like Dunne when he’s next called upon.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 21:44 - Mar 29 with 4636 viewssaxbend

A striker's job is to ensure that the team scores goals. Scoring them is the most obvious way to achieve this aim, but not the only one. A striker's goal also includes making sure the team is not out of possession for too long and does not concede, just like every other player on the pitch. Yes we would love our strikers to score more often, but it's foolish to say that they aren't making a useful contribution anyway. It's not as if they're missing chance after chance. The percentage of chances they put away out of those created by the team is not that unusual.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 21:54 - Mar 29 with 4596 viewsGroveR

If you can't take a bit of joy out of today
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 22:35 - Mar 29 with 4447 viewsMrSheen

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 19:57 - Mar 29 by ted_hendrix

We haven't had a striker for yonks, on the subject of Armstrong he had his shirt pulled relentlessly which must have been frustrating for the bloke,. should Armstrong start scoring on a regular basis he'd be sold within a second.
Prior to our winner Armstrong done a number on Sanderson taking the Birmingham defender out of the game.
I only mention this because Paul Furlong was a master at this.

Sanderson seemed to handle Frey fairly comfortably, different story with Armstrong. I was quite struck with his control today, he was bringing the ball down and moving off much smarter than I’ve seen before.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 22:51 - Mar 29 with 4387 viewsWatford_Ranger

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 18:13 - Mar 29 by CFW

I have to say totally agree with OP. Look at Bacuna today, he was in my opinion the best player on the pitch along with our Jimmy. Held the ball up, looked to create chances and looked to score.

Unfortunate for us we faced Bacuna the one game in ten where he’s arsed.

Saw Sinclair had some of that fancy blue tape they wear on his leg today so maybe not fully fit. Did infinitely more than Frey just by being there whereas Sanderson was having a lovely afternoon until the change.

Tough decisions for Swansea and I guess the sports science bods will have an input.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 23:35 - Mar 29 with 4251 viewsBoston

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 21:54 - Mar 29 by GroveR

If you can't take a bit of joy out of today

Personally...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 23:53 - Mar 29 with 4204 viewskensalriser

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 20:26 - Mar 29 by Landshark

I just had a look at strikers or forwards in the Championship who have scored more than 10 goals this season. Yes you can potentially pick up bargains but the likely you're going to need to spend big.

Adam Armstrong - £15 million
Haji Wright - £9 million
Josh Sargent - £9.5 million
Jamie Vardy - £1 million
Ryan Hardie - unknown, probably cheap
Will Keane - unknown, probably cheap
Nathan Broadhead - £1.5 million
Joël Piroe - £10 million
Ellis Simms - £7 million
Stephy Mavididi - £7.5 million
Ché Adams - £15 million

Sammie Szmodics, 21 goals, cost probably between 1-2m.
Morgan Whittaker, 19 goals, 1m
Jack Clarke, 15 goals, unknown fee (prob not big multimillions)
Conor Chaplin, 13 goals, 750k

You don't have to spend big, you just need to be wise and lucky. We've been neither.
[Post edited 29 Mar 23:53]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 00:09 - Mar 30 with 4154 viewsLazyFan

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 23:53 - Mar 29 by kensalriser

You don't have to spend big, you just need to be wise and lucky. We've been neither.

Szmodics is, in my biased view, a one-season wonder of the Stuart Wardley ilk. Last season he got 5, 3 less than Dykes.

Whittaker, we were sniffing about him but didn't take the chance. Which means we do at least get close sometimes. I suspect it's also to do with Plymouth's playing style which suits him too.

Clarke was on the cheap agreed.

Conor Chaplin is well known for being decent, but yes he was obtained on the cheap.

It can be done. Or you develop your own like Armstrong and Kolli.

I suspect Marti will sell Dykes in the summer, we shall probably only get £1m for him. Maybe Millwall will pay £2m?
But I doubt Marti will keep him, unless we are in L1.

zzzzzzzzzz

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 00:37 - Mar 30 with 4115 viewsLandshark

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 23:53 - Mar 29 by kensalriser

You are bringing attacking midfielders and wingers to a discussion about strikers. If you are going there then yes, the likes of Chair and Willock should have scored more goals this season.
We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 06:05 - Mar 30 with 3914 viewsNorthantsHoop

We Just Dont Get Enough From Our Strikers on 22:35 - Mar 29 by MrSheen

Sanderson seemed to handle Frey fairly comfortably, different story with Armstrong. I was quite struck with his control today, he was bringing the ball down and moving off much smarter than I’ve seen before.

I do quite like Frey think he fights and gets stuck in, agree on Armstrong his control and playing others in has shown massive improvement and he made a difference when he came on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024