Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham 10:00 - Sep 28 with 2939 viewsjeffro

Like many, I am not prepared to judge Hughes until well into the season, for 2 reasons;

1) It is shown in History that a "Hughes" team takes at least 10 games to get going.

2) It's simply far too early to start worrying

One thing that does get me thinking though, is his team selection and decision making sometimes.

For me, and the squad we have, it should be set for the 4-2-3-1 formation esp with our glut of decent midfielders, and to accomodate Adel, but for some reason this doesnt work, and we need 2 up top.

Hughes needs to find out his best formation and most effective way to play, and soon if we are to pick up points.

Another worrying quote I have heard from a couple of Fulham fans who go regularly is one of when Hughes was at Fulham, and having similar problems, it took Danny Murphy and a couple of senior player to go into his office and TELL him the way they felt comfortable playing and formation etc.

After that chat Fulham started to find a happy gorund and results improved with a top 10 finish... Maybe we are facing the same situation, I dont know... MAybe KONK can enlighten us to if this ever happened.

One thig for sure is that WHU is a very improtant game now, obviously not a "must win" but 3 points is important to raise moral and take us up the table.
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 10:48 - Sep 28 with 2860 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

In January/February, despite the League position, Hughes seemed to go out of his way to give everyone in the squad a chance. He was still getting his midfield sorted well into March, along with settling for Onouha at RB, Taiwo at LB and Clint in the middle. All the best options, it turned out, for the job in hand.

He takes his time. He is a cool customer. As different as chalk and cheese from your average panicky message board poster. In my opinion that is just what our club needs, which makes me a bit irritable when people start wanting to go down that crazy path of sacking yet another manager. Don't they ever learn?
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 10:55 - Sep 28 with 2841 viewsNorthernr

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 10:48 - Sep 28 by Spaghetti_Hoops

In January/February, despite the League position, Hughes seemed to go out of his way to give everyone in the squad a chance. He was still getting his midfield sorted well into March, along with settling for Onouha at RB, Taiwo at LB and Clint in the middle. All the best options, it turned out, for the job in hand.

He takes his time. He is a cool customer. As different as chalk and cheese from your average panicky message board poster. In my opinion that is just what our club needs, which makes me a bit irritable when people start wanting to go down that crazy path of sacking yet another manager. Don't they ever learn?

No, no they don't.

The added problem every Premier League manager has this year is old baggy chops is available and doing nothing. I'd say 15 managers in the Premier League are three consecutive defeats away from a story linking Redknapp with their job. There was a similar thing this time last year with Martin O'Neill, although he's not in the media as much so it wasn't quite so bad. I heard three people chuntering on about getting Redknapp in on the way out of the ground on Wednesday.
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 11:01 - Sep 28 with 2828 viewsjeffro

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 10:48 - Sep 28 by Spaghetti_Hoops

I agree mate, though we do need to find our strongest formation as at the moment can you or I name it?
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 11:08 - Sep 28 with 2807 viewsMedwayR

I think we need to go 4-4-2 to get the best out of Cisse, there's no point having a striker as good as Cisse & not setting ourselves up to get the best from him. A midfield of Park-Granero-Faurlin-Hoilett with Zamora-Cisse up top should be good enough for mid-table regardless of how poor our defence can be.

This has been blindingly obvious to me for a while but Hughes has been tinkering, no coincidence that Cisse found space to score after Zamora came on against Reading, Zamora & Cisse HAVE to start for me.

Poll: Who’s better?

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 11:08 - Sep 28 with 2802 viewsadhoc_qpr

It's an odd situtation currently though and it can be spun positively or negatively without distorting the facts.

Positive: Only 5 games in, including playing 2 title contenders and the 4th best team in the league last season, got a rare away point at Norwich, outplayed Chelsea and Spurs, won a cup game (!), quality squad, no Barton.

Negative: thrashed by Swansea at home, still no away win, blew the lead at Spurs and vs Reading, not scoring prolifically, leaky defence, Adel seemingly ostracized again, Green/Caser situtation bizarre, in the relegation zone, no league win come October, injury prone signings all getting injured.
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 11:17 - Sep 28 with 2784 viewsTacticalR

Bagpuss...just say 'no'!

Air hostess clique

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 11:30 - Sep 28 with 2744 viewsWestbourneR

I'm a big Hughes fan but even i'd have to say Redders is a difficult option to ignore.... no one gets team playing like him. It's English football as it should be.

There I said it.

Still don't think we should sack Hughes though - not yet.

Results do need to turn the corner now though. We need to beat West Ham, it's pretty important.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:05 - Sep 28 with 2693 viewsthemodfather

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 11:30 - Sep 28 by WestbourneR

I'm a big Hughes fan but even i'd have to say Redders is a difficult option to ignore.... no one gets team playing like him. It's English football as it should be.

There I said it.

Still don't think we should sack Hughes though - not yet.

Results do need to turn the corner now though. We need to beat West Ham, it's pretty important.

well few qpr fans had hughes on their list, same with dowie etc
if spending, then 'ARRY seems ideal for qpr and seems to be a popular choice, i mean keeping records and such like wasn't an issue before!
arry has no chelsea connection, which really helps.
i thought hughes was turning the corner at man city and if hughes had foolham struggling, well i was happy
qpr are playing some good football, injuries mounting and no porem wins will = pressure, it's a results business...in a 38 game season, time you don't have.
warncok went when qpr had no gone into bottom 3 due to "Our" results, i think once due to a game in hand....we lose to wet spam, i think spandau ballet tunes will haunt hughes.."we don't want this pressure on...."
Login to get fewer ads

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:22 - Sep 28 with 2658 viewsnadera78

I find it quite depressing that, after everything we went through with Briatore and Paladini at the helm, people still think the answer is to sack the manager and start again. Let's spend loads more, lets sign another team as well.

What this club needs more than anything else is a period of stability.
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:22 - Sep 28 with 2657 viewsLblock

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:05 - Sep 28 by themodfather

well few qpr fans had hughes on their list, same with dowie etc
if spending, then 'ARRY seems ideal for qpr and seems to be a popular choice, i mean keeping records and such like wasn't an issue before!
arry has no chelsea connection, which really helps.
i thought hughes was turning the corner at man city and if hughes had foolham struggling, well i was happy
qpr are playing some good football, injuries mounting and no porem wins will = pressure, it's a results business...in a 38 game season, time you don't have.
warncok went when qpr had no gone into bottom 3 due to "Our" results, i think once due to a game in hand....we lose to wet spam, i think spandau ballet tunes will haunt hughes.."we don't want this pressure on...."

True......So true..... funny how it seems......

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:25 - Sep 28 with 2643 viewsade_qpr

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:22 - Sep 28 by nadera78

I find it quite depressing that, after everything we went through with Briatore and Paladini at the helm, people still think the answer is to sack the manager and start again. Let's spend loads more, lets sign another team as well.

this^^

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 15:12 - Sep 28 with 2498 viewskingo

100% agree and it is very worrying that so many are even mentioning it

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 15:39 - Sep 28 with 2456 viewskensalriser

I don't like Redknapp. I know he had Spuds playing well most of last season but I just don't like him.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 15:51 - Sep 28 with 2425 viewsadhoc_qpr

No one is suggesting sacking Hughes now - i've not seen one forum post say that.

But if come mid November we have played well but are still winless, still have a dire away record and are in the relegation zone/bottom of the league - would you seriously blame TF for considering his options?

Hughes has certainly been key in attracting quality players like Granero and seems to be trying to bring the club up to scratch off the pitch - but if his team don't do the business on the pitch it's meaningless.

However, it's early days and the Swansea result is the only real shocker (i wouldn't ever count QPR losing a cup tie as suprising).
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 16:21 - Sep 28 with 2393 viewsjeffro

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 15:51 - Sep 28 by adhoc_qpr

No one is suggesting sacking Hughes now - i've not seen one forum post say that.

But if come mid November we have played well but are still winless, still have a dire away record and are in the relegation zone/bottom of the league - would you seriously blame TF for considering his options?

Hughes has certainly been key in attracting quality players like Granero and seems to be trying to bring the club up to scratch off the pitch - but if his team don't do the business on the pitch it's meaningless.

However, it's early days and the Swansea result is the only real shocker (i wouldn't ever count QPR losing a cup tie as suprising).

Exactly that... People going a bit overboard here, turning this tread into a "Why do people want Hughes sacked?" thread.

I stated clearly i dont want him gone, but asked the Q , is there a formation issue? Are the players happy with it? Did that situation really happen at Fulham?

Interesting debate
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 16:27 - Sep 28 with 2374 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

another +1

ManUre, Arse and Everton - most successful prem clubs given their respective spending.

All stable management

(apologies for sounding like a broken record)

It's got to be Yarg

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:59 - Oct 2 with 2156 viewsjeffro

***BUMP***

Do we need a Danny Murphy type player to have a chat....
The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 13:41 - Oct 2 with 2085 viewsKonk

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 12:59 - Oct 2 by jeffro

***BUMP***

Do we need a Danny Murphy type player to have a chat....

Under Hodgson, we’d been a very solid well-organised side with a bit of flair, and whilst there were times when we could have done with being a bit more adventurous away from home, we all appreciated what Roy had done for us. Hughes took over and we seemed to lose that — Konchesky had left in the summer, which broke up our regular back four and our new LB, Salcido, really struggled. Hughes also had us playing in a more open fashion instead of two fairly rigid banks of four, and as a result we were definitely less solid than we’d been the previous season. We also lost Johnson and then Zamora to injury, and Zamora in particular was a massive blow as our game was built around putting the ball up to him, with the ball then held up until the midfield could get up in support. We went a few months without a PL quality CF and if it hadn’t been for Dempsey’s goals, we’d have been in deep trouble.

We lost 1-3 at home to WHU on Boxing Day and were utterly wan k. We were in the relegation spots and lots of people were calling for Hughes to go on the way out of the ground and on the forums. But I always felt we’d improve once we got a bit of confidence and Zamora back from injury. We got a 2-0 at Stoke in the next game, and went on an excellent run in the second half of the season that saw us finish 8th. I have heard from someone with links to our coaching setup that Murphy, Hangeland and a couple of other players went to see Hughes after the WHU game and asked to go back to playing a game focusing on the solidity that Hodgson had brought to the team, Hughes agreed to give it a go and see how things went. I also remember Baird (I think) talking about the meeting in an interview. If Hughes did listen to the players and take on board their thoughts and concerns, then I’d say that’s to his credit.

I don’t like Hughes as a bloke, but he’s a decent PL manager — nowhere near as good as he thinks, but decent. I’m not sure about the value for money with a lot of his signings at Rangers, but you can’t ignore the injury situation. Without a settled back four it’s always going to be very difficult to win games and you’ve had a nightmare with defensive injuries. I’d expect Hughes to sort things out once he gets all his players back and I think you’d be mad to get rid of him if you’re still struggling in 5-6 games time. You also can’t ignore the fact that you’ve played some decent sides. I always thought WHU would beat you last night — Allardyce might be a horrible tw at who produces horrible, niggly teams, but he’s bloody good at getting results.

Aside from that, the fact that Hughes is on £3m a year and has a big old entourage means that he’ll be extremely expensive to let go.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 13:43 - Oct 2 with 2078 viewsFulhamjim

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 13:41 - Oct 2 by Konk

Under Hodgson, we’d been a very solid well-organised side with a bit of flair, and whilst there were times when we could have done with being a bit more adventurous away from home, we all appreciated what Roy had done for us. Hughes took over and we seemed to lose that — Konchesky had left in the summer, which broke up our regular back four and our new LB, Salcido, really struggled. Hughes also had us playing in a more open fashion instead of two fairly rigid banks of four, and as a result we were definitely less solid than we’d been the previous season. We also lost Johnson and then Zamora to injury, and Zamora in particular was a massive blow as our game was built around putting the ball up to him, with the ball then held up until the midfield could get up in support. We went a few months without a PL quality CF and if it hadn’t been for Dempsey’s goals, we’d have been in deep trouble.

We lost 1-3 at home to WHU on Boxing Day and were utterly wan k. We were in the relegation spots and lots of people were calling for Hughes to go on the way out of the ground and on the forums. But I always felt we’d improve once we got a bit of confidence and Zamora back from injury. We got a 2-0 at Stoke in the next game, and went on an excellent run in the second half of the season that saw us finish 8th. I have heard from someone with links to our coaching setup that Murphy, Hangeland and a couple of other players went to see Hughes after the WHU game and asked to go back to playing a game focusing on the solidity that Hodgson had brought to the team, Hughes agreed to give it a go and see how things went. I also remember Baird (I think) talking about the meeting in an interview. If Hughes did listen to the players and take on board their thoughts and concerns, then I’d say that’s to his credit.

I don’t like Hughes as a bloke, but he’s a decent PL manager — nowhere near as good as he thinks, but decent. I’m not sure about the value for money with a lot of his signings at Rangers, but you can’t ignore the injury situation. Without a settled back four it’s always going to be very difficult to win games and you’ve had a nightmare with defensive injuries. I’d expect Hughes to sort things out once he gets all his players back and I think you’d be mad to get rid of him if you’re still struggling in 5-6 games time. You also can’t ignore the fact that you’ve played some decent sides. I always thought WHU would beat you last night — Allardyce might be a horrible tw at who produces horrible, niggly teams, but he’s bloody good at getting results.

Aside from that, the fact that Hughes is on £3m a year and has a big old entourage means that he’ll be extremely expensive to let go.

stop being so bloody reasonable - you're giving us a good name

Nothing like a bit of Am6iti0n

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 13:58 - Oct 2 with 2038 viewskropotkin41

Very decent of Fulham fans to come on here and cheer us up today. Thank you, much appreciated.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 14:25 - Oct 2 with 1983 viewsellersliehoop

The Hughes Theory - at Fulham on 11:08 - Sep 28 by MedwayR

I think we need to go 4-4-2 to get the best out of Cisse, there's no point having a striker as good as Cisse & not setting ourselves up to get the best from him. A midfield of Park-Granero-Faurlin-Hoilett with Zamora-Cisse up top should be good enough for mid-table regardless of how poor our defence can be.

This has been blindingly obvious to me for a while but Hughes has been tinkering, no coincidence that Cisse found space to score after Zamora came on against Reading, Zamora & Cisse HAVE to start for me.

How can you advocate 442 with the same midfield as last night bar SWP? We were completely overrun in midfield, hence our poor defence was exposed even more

Secondly, how can you justify Park instead of Taraabt? How anyone can not see him as our best player is totally beyond me..........
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024