Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bomb sites 12:04 - Dec 5 with 10702 viewshoopstilidie

Map of all bombs to fall on London during the Blitz.

Fascinating stuff.

http://bombsight.org/#10/51.5374/-0.1064

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Bomb sites on 14:15 - Dec 5 with 1810 viewschris1969

Buckingham Palace got very lucky they were obviously targeting it and managed too miss everytime.
Bomb sites on 14:21 - Dec 5 with 1795 viewsTheBlob

I think they deliberately targeted my nan,she got blown up twice.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Bomb sites on 14:39 - Dec 5 with 1774 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bomb sites on 14:21 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

I think they deliberately targeted my nan,she got blown up twice.

I suppose, after the first time, when she put herself back together, they just got mad and it became personal.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bomb sites on 14:42 - Dec 5 with 1770 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 14:39 - Dec 5 by BrianMcCarthy

I suppose, after the first time, when she put herself back together, they just got mad and it became personal.

Especially since when the third one didn't go off they found the message on the 1000 pounder. "Zis is for you Willesden Nan schweinhund."

Bomb sites on 14:44 - Dec 5 with 1766 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bomb sites on 14:42 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

Especially since when the third one didn't go off they found the message on the 1000 pounder. "Zis is for you Willesden Nan schweinhund."

Mein Gott, she has put herzelf back zegether again! We will eliminate Robogran!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bomb sites on 14:45 - Dec 5 with 1760 viewspomanjou

Bomb sites on 12:48 - Dec 5 by A40Bosh

Wish I had never opened this thread!!!!
That's the rest of the day now gone reading accounts of life during the war in Eastcote and Ruislip.

Compared to central Londoners us Suburbanites would have gotten off lightly!!!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

At the Memorial Park, Pinner at, the Heath Robinson Exhibition in the West House Museum are a mass of local photographs of bomb damage and a detailed map of all bombs dropped in the area which may be of interest to you.

As a boy I lived in Grimsby at the time and the nearest a bomb dropped was about 200 yds away; close enough to feel it! We only got bombed when the krauts failed to reach Sheffield steel etc and they just dropped indescriminately on built up areas.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Bomb sites on 15:00 - Dec 5 with 1748 viewskensalriser

Amazing really that people went about their everyday lives through that. My grandad was an ARP Warden. I can't imagine what he saw, he never spoke about the war. All we've got to moan about is poxy football.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Bomb sites on 15:01 - Dec 5 with 1745 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 14:44 - Dec 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Mein Gott, she has put herzelf back zegether again! We will eliminate Robogran!

She was eventually discovered face down in a packing crate.Melbourne,1967,clutching a mysterious piece of paper.Message read....
"Zo,you think you can escape the Third Reich?Eat cyanide Hida.Sincerely yours A.Hitler,Buenos Aires"

Login to get fewer ads

Bomb sites on 15:05 - Dec 5 with 1740 viewsHantsR

Bomb sites on 14:04 - Dec 5 by Metallica_Hoop

Total number of bombs dropped from 7th October 1940 to 6th June 1941 in Shepherd's Bush Green:
High Explosive Bomb 34

Not sure if you can see this but that's only in a tiny area!

http://bombsight.org/explore/greater-london/hammersmith-and-fulham/shepherds-bus

Thanks for that link Metallica; it overcomes the 404 error problem and I can get into the main site.

I'll be interested to find the East End site that did for one set of grandparents and an aunt in 1941 - my mum and her sister were dug out of the rubble.
Bomb sites on 15:08 - Dec 5 with 1735 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Jerry spent far to much time pissing about with his planes to win by bombing.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Bomb sites on 15:09 - Dec 5 with 1733 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 15:05 - Dec 5 by HantsR

Thanks for that link Metallica; it overcomes the 404 error problem and I can get into the main site.

I'll be interested to find the East End site that did for one set of grandparents and an aunt in 1941 - my mum and her sister were dug out of the rubble.

Cool glad it helped.

Bomb sites on 15:14 - Dec 5 with 1727 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 15:08 - Dec 5 by Metallica_Hoop

Jerry spent far to much time pissing about with his planes to win by bombing.

Made the fatal error of switching attention to the Eastern Front.Phew,that was close.
The exclamation "one small step for man,a giant leap for mankind" was supposed to have been used by an engineer seeing the first (german)jet powered bomber take off,Armstrong nicked it.

Bomb sites on 15:16 - Dec 5 with 1722 viewsMetallica_Hoop

That wouldn't suprise me. US nicked most of them after the war.

Bomb sites on 15:16 - Dec 5 with 1722 viewsW7Ranger

My Grandad was on his way home from work (think it was a factory where weapons were being made) with his best mate when a Doodble Bug appeared overhead and stopped directly above them! They immediately feared the worse and shook hands with each other in a "well, this is it" moment as they waited for it to drop to the ground...

Fortunately for them (and me!) it exploded in the air!!!!
Bomb sites on 15:21 - Dec 5 with 1713 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 15:16 - Dec 5 by Metallica_Hoop

That wouldn't suprise me. US nicked most of them after the war.

We gifted the Yanks a Whittle Jet engine and the Cavity Magnetron(radar)and they've made trillions out of them since.Did they thank us?Did they bollocks.Even made us cancel the TSR2 and with government collusion made sure they were the first through the sound barrier when we were about to pip them.

Bastards.

Bomb sites on 15:24 - Dec 5 with 1321 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 15:21 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

We gifted the Yanks a Whittle Jet engine and the Cavity Magnetron(radar)and they've made trillions out of them since.Did they thank us?Did they bollocks.Even made us cancel the TSR2 and with government collusion made sure they were the first through the sound barrier when we were about to pip them.

Bastards.

If only the 'Comet had had round windows too

Bomb sites on 15:26 - Dec 5 with 1317 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 15:24 - Dec 5 by Metallica_Hoop

If only the 'Comet had had round windows too

Lovely plane in the end though.Should never have cancelled Nimrod.

Bomb sites on 15:28 - Dec 5 with 1310 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 15:26 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

Lovely plane in the end though.Should never have cancelled Nimrod.

I agree 100%

Or the Harrier or our Carriers until the other two are build, yet I hear we are giving 2Billion to 3rd world 'eco' projects.

As they say in Codename: Warlord "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH"

Bomb sites on 15:34 - Dec 5 with 1303 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 15:28 - Dec 5 by Metallica_Hoop

I agree 100%

Or the Harrier or our Carriers until the other two are build, yet I hear we are giving 2Billion to 3rd world 'eco' projects.

As they say in Codename: Warlord "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH"

Here's something for yer....if only eh?

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?14644-WWII-German-Secret-Wea

Bomb sites on 15:43 - Dec 5 with 1290 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 15:34 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

Here's something for yer....if only eh?

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?14644-WWII-German-Secret-Wea

Cheers Blobby some good stuff there.

I can see one slight problem with the six engine jet though, the afterburners all seem to point at the tail Airilons

Bomb sites on 15:52 - Dec 5 with 1282 viewsHollowayRanger

Bomb sites on 15:14 - Dec 5 by TheBlob

Made the fatal error of switching attention to the Eastern Front.Phew,that was close.
The exclamation "one small step for man,a giant leap for mankind" was supposed to have been used by an engineer seeing the first (german)jet powered bomber take off,Armstrong nicked it.

read long ago the germans could have won ww2 very easily after dunkirk by simple invading

malta!

malta was like a knife in rommels ribs we sunk most of his africa korps supplies while monty got most of his ,if malta had been taken by germans then rommel would have got all his supplies and monty few of his = german victory in africa ie egypt = middle east = all that lovely oil something the germans were always short off

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Bomb sites on 15:57 - Dec 5 with 1282 viewsKernowRanger

Bomb sites on 15:52 - Dec 5 by HollowayRanger

read long ago the germans could have won ww2 very easily after dunkirk by simple invading

malta!

malta was like a knife in rommels ribs we sunk most of his africa korps supplies while monty got most of his ,if malta had been taken by germans then rommel would have got all his supplies and monty few of his = german victory in africa ie egypt = middle east = all that lovely oil something the germans were always short off

My grandfather was Maltese, and to hear some of the stories he had was just incredible. In just ONE day, Malta had the same number of bombs dropped on it as dropped on London during the whole of the blitz!
Bomb sites on 16:09 - Dec 5 with 1269 viewsHollowayRanger

Bomb sites on 15:57 - Dec 5 by KernowRanger

My grandfather was Maltese, and to hear some of the stories he had was just incredible. In just ONE day, Malta had the same number of bombs dropped on it as dropped on London during the whole of the blitz!

i know mates dad was a gunner there

we sent tons of stuff there as it was vital to hold on to it

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Bomb sites on 16:17 - Dec 5 with 1264 viewsA40Bosh

What a great thread for a Weds afternoon, full of interesting stories and information about WW2 and not a single line of negativity anywhere about how sh#t SWP and Bosing................

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Bomb sites on 17:57 - Dec 5 with 1236 viewsMrSheen

My grandmother used to clean houses in Golders Green. She told me that one of the very first bombs dropped on London landed there. Some of the inhabitants, including one of her employers, thought it was deliberate targetting by the Nazis and decided to blend in with the wider population for safety...at the Cumberland Hotel in Marble Arch. Hitler must have heard because he gave Hyde Park a right pounding.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024