Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bomb sites 12:04 - Dec 5 with 10614 viewshoopstilidie

Map of all bombs to fall on London during the Blitz.

Fascinating stuff.

http://bombsight.org/#10/51.5374/-0.1064

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Bomb sites on 22:48 - Dec 6 with 1715 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 16:27 - Dec 6 by ShotKneesHoop

The irony of that post is lost on you.

Like ironery from 30,000 feet on top of your house.

Carry on watching nancies being paid a fortune to do Fitz Hall and work out what the point is that is being made.

Eh?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Bomb sites on 08:10 - Dec 7 with 1679 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bomb sites on 20:12 - Dec 6 by HollowayRanger

the funny thing is america DIDNT declare war on germany

after pearl harbour the yanks declared war on japan

the next day hitler as part of the axis pact delared was on america!

Hitler was under no obligation to declare war on USA since Japan did not declare war against USSR after Barbarossa, despite previous border clashes between Russian and Japanese forces in China. Dumbest thing Hitler ever did, giving Roosevelt the reason to declare war on Germany and overcome isolationist protests against 'another European war'. Home sentiment would otherwise have kept America's resources overwhelmingly in the Pacific.

Funny thing, Hitler's private train was called "Amerika".

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Bomb sites on 10:22 - Dec 7 with 1660 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Going back, if your relatives are not from London good news.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/national-roll-of-the-great-war-15-volume-set

You can order them individually, I doubt they have a telegram from George V in though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Bomb sites on 10:32 - Dec 7 with 1653 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 10:22 - Dec 7 by Metallica_Hoop

Going back, if your relatives are not from London good news.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/national-roll-of-the-great-war-15-volume-set

You can order them individually, I doubt they have a telegram from George V in though.

285 quid??

We did some research once for family friend Catherine Cookson,who was trying to find out what happened to her Uncle Jack.Turns out he was a British sniper and was shot out of a tree on The Somme.
Lots of good research material on the net now.

Bomb sites on 10:39 - Dec 7 with 1646 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 10:32 - Dec 7 by TheBlob

285 quid??

We did some research once for family friend Catherine Cookson,who was trying to find out what happened to her Uncle Jack.Turns out he was a British sniper and was shot out of a tree on The Somme.
Lots of good research material on the net now.

£22 for the single books.

Reading through it is pretty interesting actually like two street down was an MC holder stuff like that.

Thinking about all that dust they must have had to trawl through researching back in the day is making my nose twitch. (extra strong mints do that too bizarrely)

Bomb sites on 13:14 - Dec 7 with 1877 viewsA40Bosh

Bomb sites on 10:39 - Dec 7 by Metallica_Hoop

Reading through it is pretty interesting actually like two street down was an MC holder stuff like that.

Thinking about all that dust they must have had to trawl through researching back in the day is making my nose twitch. (extra strong mints do that too bizarrely)

Extra Strong mints make me sneeze without fail.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Bomb sites on 13:25 - Dec 7 with 1875 viewsTheBlob

Bomb sites on 10:39 - Dec 7 by Metallica_Hoop

Damn right,and all that asbestos I would imagine.

Bomb sites on 13:49 - Dec 7 with 1863 viewsWestminsteRs

Bomb sites on 10:13 - Dec 6 by hoopstilidie

Same here. Would really help fill out some missing details from my family tree.

The National Army Museum in Ch****a has a very good research library of individual war records though I think only for officer level. It's free to use and might be worth checking out.

http://www.nam.ac.uk/research/templer-study-centre
Login to get fewer ads

Bomb sites on 13:13 - Apr 20 with 1740 viewsJuzzie

Here's another one....... murder sites in London over the last 200 years;

http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp
Bomb sites on 13:37 - Apr 20 with 1715 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Bomb sites on 13:13 - Apr 20 by Juzzie

Fascinating that mate.
Bomb sites on 14:05 - Apr 20 with 1686 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Bomb sites on 13:13 - Apr 20 by Juzzie

We are all perusing that at the moment before we go back to work.

Very interesting thanks.

Bomb sites on 17:02 - Apr 20 with 1629 viewsloftboy

Cant get the map to work on my crap phone, but my dad lived in Golsboro road in wandsworth during the war, came out the bomb shelter one morning to find half the street missing and several.of his best friends who he walked to school with killed, he wrote his memoirs a couple of years ago and to read what kids his age went through back then, (evacuated,separated from parents,caned in class for talking etc) kids today realm dont know what stress is, does my head in when I hear youngsters kicking off just because their latest piece of technology isn't working,or even worse complaining that their parents havent driven them somewhere.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Bomb sites on 17:49 - Apr 20 with 1601 viewsBoston

Still evidence of bombing in and around Wembley when I was a kid. Myself and my mates spent many an hour using a bomb crater as a bike racing track on the fields at Northwick Park. Believe it had been an RAF base during the war and was bombed a few times.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2016 17:57]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bomb sites on 03:28 - Apr 21 with 1486 viewsisawqpratwcity

Surely that isn't all the murders? You'd think over a century or thereabouts there'd have to be a murder on every street. People do have an unfortunate tendency to kill each other in moments of stress. Maybe this is just the high-profile cases.

Bomb sites on 10:38 - Apr 21 with 1435 viewsCiderwithRsie

Bomb sites on 03:28 - Apr 21 by isawqpratwcity

Surely that isn't all the murders? You'd think over a century or thereabouts there'd have to be a murder on every street. People do have an unfortunate tendency to kill each other in moments of stress. Maybe this is just the high-profile cases.

There are a lot fewer murders than you'd think.

My parents still live in the house my grandfather bought in 1930. No murders in 86 years so far. Near run thing regarding me and my younger brother back in the day, of course.

And another thing - the house was new in 1930. An awful lot of streets in London didn't exist a century ago, some of the ones that did don't exist any more, and others that were full of families a century back are now not residential at all.
Bomb sites on 14:51 - Apr 21 with 1375 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bomb sites on 10:38 - Apr 21 by CiderwithRsie

There are a lot fewer murders than you'd think.

My parents still live in the house my grandfather bought in 1930. No murders in 86 years so far. Near run thing regarding me and my younger brother back in the day, of course.

And another thing - the house was new in 1930. An awful lot of streets in London didn't exist a century ago, some of the ones that did don't exist any more, and others that were full of families a century back are now not residential at all.

The murder rate for London was 2.14 per 100,000 people per year, 1990-2012 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London#Murder ).

Over a century, that's roughly one for every 500 people. So if a street has stable figure of roughly 500 people living in it over that century (ie, that is the number of people you'd find living there whenever you did a census), then, on average, there would be one murder sometime in that 100 years.

It really doesn't matter that streets come and go. The first thing I did was look at where I lived. No murders noted in the immediate vicinity except for the infamous John Christie of Rillington Place (half a mile from me, as the crow flew). That area was completely redeveloped including a new street plan decades ago, but of course he is still listed. Granted, too, that he is listed as having eight murders ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Christie_(murderer) ), but that still doesn't make up for the large blank areas around it.

Maybe I lived in a particularly wussy bit of London. I knew a bloke in Auckland who wrote short stories, and they almost always featured murders, not as crime literature, but as an example of extreme human emotion. I chided my him about it once, and he quickly listed three entirely separate domestic murders that had all happened within a couple of hundred yards of where he lived within the previous ten years. People can be arseholes.

Bomb sites (n/t) on 22:52 - Jan 24 with 1041 viewsjackiehurmangooglema

Bomb sites on 19:53 - Dec 5 by longbottom

My Grandma was bombed out of Carlton Vale, Kilburn then bombed out of Harlesden. Moved backed to Canterbury Terrace in Kilburn and lived 100 yards from a house that was hit by a V2. Many were killed and injured.
My Grandma did'nt like Germans much.

[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 23:33]

aftereffects

Bomb sites on 23:10 - Jan 24 with 1015 viewsjackiehurmangooglema

Bomb sites on 19:53 - Dec 5 by longbottom

My Grandma was bombed out of Carlton Vale, Kilburn then bombed out of Harlesden. Moved backed to Canterbury Terrace in Kilburn and lived 100 yards from a house that was hit by a V2. Many were killed and injured.
My Grandma did'nt like Germans much.

My great grandparents were also bombed out of Carlton Vale, number 37. I wonder if they knew your relatives?
They were Henry William Bone Hurman, a ladies tailor, and his wife Mabel Annie Esther Hurman. They had 4 daughters and a son and apparently had made a lovely cottage garden at Carlton Vale. They moved on to Maygrove Road in Kilburn and lived there until they died. Apparently all their daughters went on to become seamstresses but Grandad managed a grocers and then a local telephone exchange.

aftereffects

Bomb sites on 23:59 - Jan 24 with 980 viewsHollowayRanger

that murder map is certainly not complete ,school friend of mine was dragged in to garages near where I live abused by a perv then stabbed more than a dozen times to death in the early to mid 80's

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Bomb sites on 00:35 - Jan 25 with 957 viewsTripleR

Definitely not complete.
The Braybrook Street murders in east Acton of three policemen in 1966 not shown.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2017 0:36]
Bomb sites on 08:51 - Jan 25 with 883 viewsShotKneesHoop

Bomb sites on 17:49 - Apr 20 by Boston

Still evidence of bombing in and around Wembley when I was a kid. Myself and my mates spent many an hour using a bomb crater as a bike racing track on the fields at Northwick Park. Believe it had been an RAF base during the war and was bombed a few times.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2016 17:57]

Those bomb craters at Northwick Park were golf course bunkers from a club that went bust after the war.

There were only fighter stations locally, e.g. Northolt, Uxbridge and Hendon. Most of the bomber airfields were in Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Bomb sites on 09:03 - Jan 25 with 869 viewsMetallica_Hoop

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/lon

http://www.wegoplaces.me/haunted-places-in-london/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024