Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lawn mowers 09:01 - Jul 10 with 12031 viewsCharlie1

A LFW first.

I'm not much of an expert on these things. Having recently just bought a house with the wife (behave westBerks R ), the turf on the new build is bedding down. Problem is, the garden is two tiered ie steps to the back garden. So a petrol mower is out of the question unless so one has invented something light and movable.

Anyone got any good tips on mowers ie ones to avoid etc. I want a fkcing lawn like the Lords outfield

2:59 baby!

Lawn mowers on 14:26 - Jul 10 with 3063 viewsCharlie1

Lawn mowers on 14:21 - Jul 10 by GetMeRangers

If you are wanting it to look like Lords, then a cylinder mower is you only option, with perhaps a rotary as back up to remove any bents (flowering stems) that develop at this time of year. On top of that, you will have a lot of other jobs, such as scarifying, spiking, rolling, feeding, watering etc. Aim for a lower standard and certainly dont have children who litter the place with toys and damage the turf with whatever sport they choose to play on it.

Other than that...

That sounds technical

Lawn mowers on 14:52 - Jul 10 with 3050 viewshoof_hearted

Find a Portuguese.

End of.
Lawn mowers on 19:32 - Jul 10 with 3026 viewsstonebridgers

I am not one to offer advice as I recently bought one and the motor blew up after 5 minutes. Smoke coming out of the bloody thing. My 5 year old asked the Missus if I was doing a BBQ.

Stonebridgers

Lawn mowers on 19:51 - Jul 10 with 3020 viewsGetMeRangers

Lawn mowers on 19:32 - Jul 10 by stonebridgers

I am not one to offer advice as I recently bought one and the motor blew up after 5 minutes. Smoke coming out of the bloody thing. My 5 year old asked the Missus if I was doing a BBQ.

Did you perhaps forget that they are transported without any oil in them? My wife ignored instructions on one I bought and seized it beyond repair...grrrr
Lawn mowers on 22:06 - Jul 10 with 2995 viewsHantsR

The Bosch Rotak mentioned earlier is very good and relatively inexpensive - I much prefer mine to previous Flymos I have owned. You might want a strimmer for some awkward places, slopes or edges.
Lawn mowers on 23:19 - Jul 10 with 2983 viewsQPR1506

Cannot believe this has gone to 2 pages!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

In Redknapp We Trust !

Lawn mowers on 23:31 - Jul 10 with 2975 viewsted_hendrix

I have a German made John Deere R43RVE, electric start all singing all dancing lawn mower that cost me the wrong side of £600 5 years ago, not once has this piece of kit let me down in fact people from other villages have been known to turn up just to watch me cut my lawn, I'm the talk of West Berkshire and parts of East Wiltshire.
Charlie, you will feel the full weight of the old mans advice on Saturday.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Lawn mowers on 04:00 - Jul 11 with 2956 viewsJAPRANGERS

I've got a lawnmower. It must be about 500 years old, think it was first used by Henry 8th! Doesn't cover the grass very well these days but at least it tries very hard to do its job. And it doesn't demand 65,000 squid a week.

My LM versus Boswanka. No contest. Waiting for 'harry's call....
Login to get fewer ads

Lawn mowers on 07:57 - Jul 11 with 2942 viewsDWQPR

Can't remember the name of my mower, it is petrol and I have the same issue as the OP in that I have steps up to the lawn. I have found an easy solution to transporting up the steps............I just lift the bloody thing! Has to be petrol all the way, no leads, no electrocution when you mow through it! And final recommendation, I use a company called Greenthumb who come over every three months to weed and feed. With these people you will have an outfield like Lords!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Lawn mowers on 08:36 - Jul 11 with 2932 viewsGetMeRangers

Lawn mowers on 07:57 - Jul 11 by DWQPR

Can't remember the name of my mower, it is petrol and I have the same issue as the OP in that I have steps up to the lawn. I have found an easy solution to transporting up the steps............I just lift the bloody thing! Has to be petrol all the way, no leads, no electrocution when you mow through it! And final recommendation, I use a company called Greenthumb who come over every three months to weed and feed. With these people you will have an outfield like Lords!

My father uses greenthumb. They managed to resurrect a lawn ruined by 1o years of it being a substitute for LR. Very good quality now and they are very reasonable IMO

Also by using petrol, you will have authentic sound of the Lords outfield being mowed
Lawn mowers on 08:43 - Jul 11 with 2930 viewsjonno

Lawn mowers on 19:32 - Jul 10 by stonebridgers

I bought my Mountfield petrol mower 26 years ago and it's still going strong (watch it blow up now!). I have a raised area of lawn which entails lifting the thing up but it's not that bad to lift a couple of feet. Looking at prices these days the petrol engined ones do seem much cheaper relatively than they used to be - I'm pretty sure I paid about the same for mine 25 years ago as they are now! Mine's so old that it is supposed to run on leaded fuel - but it seems quite happy on unleaded.
Lawn mowers on 09:24 - Jul 11 with 2922 viewsdanehoop

Charlie, Rich,

You have mail.

Never knowingly understood

Lawn mowers on 09:40 - Jul 11 with 2919 viewswestberksr

to all those suggesting that this process involve any lifting; you need to remind yourself that Charlie is a long distance runner type, I suspect the upper body strength in that akin to a 12 year old girl! 'wiry' is the body type I'd use if describing.

employ a gardener you cheapskate, or invite Dad over for lunch once a fortnight as long as the John Deer comes too (very posh mower Ted; proper farmer style piece of kit!)

only trouble with the greenthumb is that the grass grows like never before, therefore more mowing. no weeds in lawn for about 10 years now though.
Lawn mowers on 09:45 - Jul 11 with 2918 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Remember.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Lawn mowers on 09:56 - Jul 11 with 2914 viewsCharlie1

Lawn mowers on 09:40 - Jul 11 by westberksr

to all those suggesting that this process involve any lifting; you need to remind yourself that Charlie is a long distance runner type, I suspect the upper body strength in that akin to a 12 year old girl! 'wiry' is the body type I'd use if describing.

employ a gardener you cheapskate, or invite Dad over for lunch once a fortnight as long as the John Deer comes too (very posh mower Ted; proper farmer style piece of kit!)

only trouble with the greenthumb is that the grass grows like never before, therefore more mowing. no weeds in lawn for about 10 years now though.

Was a long distance runner.

My phyicque is more akin to a sumo wrestler these days!

It's a two tier garden and the bit up the top, not huge, is at least 5 feet. Small wooden steps to it so lifting a heavy petrol won't work. Which is annoying as I wanted one.

Metallica seems to think I live in Highclere castle!

Lawn mowers on 10:02 - Jul 11 with 2707 viewssmegma

Lawn mowers on 23:31 - Jul 10 by ted_hendrix

I have a German made John Deere R43RVE, electric start all singing all dancing lawn mower that cost me the wrong side of £600 5 years ago, not once has this piece of kit let me down in fact people from other villages have been known to turn up just to watch me cut my lawn, I'm the talk of West Berkshire and parts of East Wiltshire.
Charlie, you will feel the full weight of the old mans advice on Saturday.

Buy British.

A British goat that is.
Lawn mowers on 10:07 - Jul 11 with 2705 viewsMetallica_Hoop

For the enthusiast.

http://www.lawnmowerworld.co.uk/

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Lawn mowers on 11:27 - Jul 11 with 2701 viewswestberksr

Lawn mowers on 09:56 - Jul 11 by Charlie1

Was a long distance runner.

My phyicque is more akin to a sumo wrestler these days!

It's a two tier garden and the bit up the top, not huge, is at least 5 feet. Small wooden steps to it so lifting a heavy petrol won't work. Which is annoying as I wanted one.

Metallica seems to think I live in Highclere castle!

ok then, strength of a fat 12 year old girl.
Lawn mowers on 12:59 - Jul 11 with 2690 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Bunch of pussies

You need a bit of John Deere Hardware in your life!

Lawn mowers on 23:56 - Jul 11 with 2658 viewswestolian

Lawn mowers on 12:59 - Jul 11 by WrightUp5hit___

Bunch of pussies

You need a bit of John Deere Hardware in your life!

WOW

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Lawn mowers on 04:49 - Jul 12 with 2647 viewsCanadaRanger

Or this guy...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024