Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
sacked in the morning 22:40 - Oct 21 with 12242 viewssix_foot_two

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=138447%C3%A7

Good Championship manager but not cut out for the premiership.
sacked in the morning on 11:18 - Oct 22 with 2508 viewsToast_R

He's not done it in the Premiership because both times he's got their he's had by far the worst squad of players and the lowest budget ever.

He came close to pulling off a miracle with Blackpool by keeping the momentum going from the promotion campaign but this time there has been none and they've lost their strikers who helped get them there in the first place. An impossible job that I doubt any manager could improve on.

Redknapp is a well regarded manager and he had the worst team last season in the Prem and couldn't stave off relegation either. I'd argue his team was far more talented then Palace's with a far bigger budget.

Until Ollie is given the keys to an established side like say Fulham for instance, I find it ridiculous to write him off as just a Championship manager at best.
sacked in the morning on 11:32 - Oct 22 with 2490 viewsAntti_Heinola

sacked in the morning on 11:18 - Oct 22 by Toast_R

He's not done it in the Premiership because both times he's got their he's had by far the worst squad of players and the lowest budget ever.

He came close to pulling off a miracle with Blackpool by keeping the momentum going from the promotion campaign but this time there has been none and they've lost their strikers who helped get them there in the first place. An impossible job that I doubt any manager could improve on.

Redknapp is a well regarded manager and he had the worst team last season in the Prem and couldn't stave off relegation either. I'd argue his team was far more talented then Palace's with a far bigger budget.

Until Ollie is given the keys to an established side like say Fulham for instance, I find it ridiculous to write him off as just a Championship manager at best.

I know what you're saying, and I did put those caveats in. But I'm sorry, his transfer dealings in the summer were the stuff of someone all at sea. 16 players in, £6m for Dwight Gayle! £6m! He signed Dobbie in July and loaned him out in Sept because he didn't make the 25. That's careless at best.
Now I know he doesn't have much cash, but those dealings are scattergun and the work of someone very unsure what he's doing - and he never addressed the real problem he had of his woeful defence. And that's why he's not a Premier League-class manager. He might well do better at a bigger club with a bigger budget, but given what he did this summer, would you trust him with more money? I wouldn't.

Bare bones.

sacked in the morning on 11:50 - Oct 22 with 2464 viewsBluce_Ree

I love Ollie too but this promotion is all about sorting Palace out financially. They will be in a good position when they get relegated. The problem is if they go down without a fight. This time last year all I wanted was to get more points than Derby did the year they broke the record.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

sacked in the morning on 12:07 - Oct 22 with 2443 viewsMrSheen

A friend of mine is a big Palace fan who had lunch with a director there a few weeks ago. His view then was that they know they are going down, especially as winning in the play-off gave them less time to find a new team, but the plan is not to do much damage and come back stronger next time. So Gayle was bought for a promotion push next year not to save them this year - half right at least, he was totally invisible last night. Brave words a few weeks into the season, harder to stick to when you've been thrashed at home by Martin Jol's lethargic army.

However, there are rumours of a "Luther Blissett" style wrong-fella signing.
sacked in the morning on 12:15 - Oct 22 with 2432 viewshoops_legend

Gabbidon has been injured. He is back next game - they should be alright then.

I think they won their only game while he was playing! Concidence?!
sacked in the morning on 12:33 - Oct 22 with 2411 viewscjc

A bit unfair to say that he is not cut out to be a PL manager.

He gets unglamourous teams promoted against all the odds but its bloody hard to make the changes in three months to become a PL team., especially when funds are few and nobody of quality wants to play for them, not to mention the ones you do actually get then have to gel. Give him a break.

If he went to half of the middle table teams in the PL, they would be better under him. Will he win things, doubt it but I think he is a good manager given the opportunity to consolidate and build as opposed to fighting for survival and then building. Which many many managers find hard.

Where there is hoop there's the hoops.

sacked in the morning on 14:41 - Oct 22 with 2350 viewsAntti_Heinola

sacked in the morning on 12:33 - Oct 22 by cjc

A bit unfair to say that he is not cut out to be a PL manager.

He gets unglamourous teams promoted against all the odds but its bloody hard to make the changes in three months to become a PL team., especially when funds are few and nobody of quality wants to play for them, not to mention the ones you do actually get then have to gel. Give him a break.

If he went to half of the middle table teams in the PL, they would be better under him. Will he win things, doubt it but I think he is a good manager given the opportunity to consolidate and build as opposed to fighting for survival and then building. Which many many managers find hard.

Except Hull have 11 points with a manager I'm sure most people would not want at their club. But Olly's funny and does good quotes, so none of it is his fault.
Of course, Hull could still go down - we had 11 points at around this stage last season and were in 9th and things looked hopeful... (in the end they were, I know, but we were on the brink of a dreadful run).

Bare bones.

sacked in the morning on 14:54 - Oct 22 with 2334 viewsjonno

sacked in the morning on 11:08 - Oct 22 by Antti_Heinola

I love Ollie, but as everyone says, Palace were a bit lucky to go up and then they made similar mistakes to us, leaving all their buys until the last minute. As usual, Olly has about 8 strikers to choose from but started the season with a CB pairing of Delaney and Gabbidon. I mean, that was never going to be good enough. True, Palace haevn;t spent that much, but then neither did Norwich when they first went up, or Swansea. It is possible if you are ready and if you buy the right players. Olly's transfer dealings were a bit all over the place.

I like him a lot - I don't think he was as amazing for us as some have said - most half decent managers should have been able to get us out of League One given our budget at that time (low as it was, it was still far higher than most L1 clubs). however, at that time he was exactly what we needed to galvanise the club again.

I loved the fact that when he went to Blackpool he reinvented himself and his philosophy, abandoning his more cautious tendencies and freeing his side up - it worked really well and in the end Blackpool might have stayed up with a bit of luck.

but would I take him back? Even though I think our next manager needs to be a younger man than Redknapp, who can guide us through what is going to be a huge period of change (when isn't it?) at QPR, no, I would not take him. I just don't think he has the ability to go beyond the Championship, sadly. and suspect he won't be at Palace much longer. Someone will pick up a decent manager after he goes, mind... Would he fancy Middlesbrough?!

Totally agree.
Login to get fewer ads

sacked in the morning on 16:21 - Oct 22 with 2282 viewsolderR

They have plenty of stamina those Palace boys.

Thread now on page 29!
sacked in the morning on 16:11 - Oct 23 with 2198 viewssimmo

Crystal Palace have called a news conference for 17:30 BST in a central London hotel. No reason for the conference has been given as ye

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

sacked in the morning on 16:15 - Oct 23 with 2189 viewsClive_Anderson

He'd have been better off missing out on promotion. They've had less money to spend than pretty much all the other Premier teams and they started with a worse set of players. What exactly was he meant to do?

I'd have him back like a shot if Harry decides to retire at the end of the season.
sacked in the morning on 16:29 - Oct 23 with 2146 viewsMaggsinho

And he's gone.
sacked in the morning on 16:35 - Oct 23 with 2130 viewskingsburyR

Cant see the attraction of any manager trying to get his team into the prem.

They all get sacked within 6 months!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

sacked in the morning on 16:35 - Oct 23 with 2120 viewsAntti_Heinola

Really? Honestly don't understand that. We've moved on.
Palace silly to sack him though - no one can save them with that squad in that position. Not even Harry. But he'd never go down the road. Would he?

Bare bones.

sacked in the morning on 16:37 - Oct 23 with 2119 viewsA40Bosh

sacked in the morning on 16:35 - Oct 23 by kingsburyR

Cant see the attraction of any manager trying to get his team into the prem.

They all get sacked within 6 months!

Wonga?

Get them up, do your best with a limited budget.
Get sacked by the club
Pocket the pay off

Repeat the process again and again.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

sacked in the morning on 16:39 - Oct 23 with 1841 viewsRs_Holy

Tony Pullis...... shirley?!?!?
sacked in the morning on 16:44 - Oct 23 with 1812 viewsMaggsinho

sacked in the morning on 16:39 - Oct 23 by Rs_Holy

Tony Pullis...... shirley?!?!?

Warnock is the bookies favourite.
sacked in the morning on 16:46 - Oct 23 with 1803 viewsRs_Holy

sacked in the morning on 16:44 - Oct 23 by Maggsinho

thought he'd retired???
sacked in the morning on 16:55 - Oct 23 with 1762 viewsAntti_Heinola

sacked in the morning on 16:46 - Oct 23 by Rs_Holy

thought he'd retired???

i'd be surprised if NW went back there - or to any club. but you never know! Pulis seems to obvious choice. Poor Palace.

Bare bones.

sacked in the morning on 16:58 - Oct 23 with 1759 viewswombat

thought he'd retired???

Thought warnock was joking GP at Birmingham as director of football ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

sacked in the morning on 16:59 - Oct 23 with 1752 viewsToast_R

thought he'd retired???

Has a soft spot for Palace but I'd be surprised if he'd take that with the hassles and pending relegation. Keeping them up would probably be the most outstanding achievement since the Prem began.

What they should do is look for someone long term who'd get them challanging for promotion again next season and take the forwards.

Should have gone for Clough, but I see he's gone Sheff Utd.
sacked in the morning on 17:07 - Oct 23 with 1720 viewshoopstilidie

Harry's in the market for a coach is he not?

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

sacked in the morning on 17:59 - Oct 23 with 1648 viewsderbyhoop

Palace got £17m from the sale of Zaha. In the Summer they spent approx £17m. They weren't the 3rd best side in the Championship last year and without Zaha and Murray, who is injured, they were always going to struggle. I'm not sure what their Board and fans expected.

Olly made some mistakes. The transfer dealings have an air of scattergun - a bit like Hughes. So many changes can disrupt the team spirit. If they are to have any chance of staying up they have to beat (most of) their rivals at home. Losing 4-1 at home to a fairly poor Foolem side is not good. But who is going to do better?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

sacked in the morning on 18:03 - Oct 23 with 1640 viewsTacticalR

sacked in the morning on 16:44 - Oct 23 by Maggsinho

Warnock has said that he doesn't want to be a manager, but rather a consigliere to foreign owners.

Air hostess clique

sacked in the morning on 19:31 - Oct 23 with 1585 viewsFredManRave

sacked in the morning on 18:03 - Oct 23 by TacticalR

Warnock has said that he doesn't want to be a manager, but rather a consigliere to foreign owners.

I hope Warnock gets the job and keeps them up thus proving that he would have done exactly the same for us and that as a consequence we were wrong to sack him. Then he can go upstairs to his Directors position.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2013 19:58]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024