Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cavity Wall Insulation 15:23 - Oct 30 with 3751 viewsgordanoR

Hi all,

has anyone had this done ? I've heard that on the negative side it can cause damp (the cavity is there for a reason) but the positives are a warmer house. We've had a couple of salesman come round trying to push this & apparently it's free as we have an older house. I am obviously suspicious as there has to be something in it for them (slice of a government grant I guess).

Any advice would be appreciated, it's a 1920's detached house if that helps.

Cheers
Mark
Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:33 - Oct 30 with 3726 viewsAntti_Heinola

Best OP title EVER.

Sorry i can't be more help.

Bare bones.

Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:36 - Oct 30 with 3719 viewsgordanoR

Thanks,

I'm not keen on having my cavity filled. Will probably tell them to fk off now that I've had a chance to read a few reviews.
Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:45 - Oct 30 with 3706 viewsWestminsteRs

Interesting.
Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:47 - Oct 30 with 3702 viewsGloryHunter

Good discussion of the potential problems here:
http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/
Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:49 - Oct 30 with 3699 viewsgordanoR

Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:45 - Oct 30 by WestminsteRs

Interesting.

Appreciate your input, thanks.
Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:59 - Oct 30 with 3688 viewsgordanoR

Cavity Wall Insulation on 15:47 - Oct 30 by GloryHunter

Good discussion of the potential problems here:
http://www.askjeff.co.uk/cavity-wall-fill/

Cheers.
Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:08 - Oct 30 with 3668 viewsJuzzie

I live in a small block of flats (36 flats over 6 floors) and our local council got it done a few years ago. The thieving fukkers charged us £220 per leasehold until someone remembered that it was covered by a government grant and therefore no cost to us, this was duly pointed out to them.

No apology from them, just a letter saying we'd get our money back and it was worded in such a way that we ought to be grateful to them, clearly trying to cover up for their error. W@nkers.

Anyways, the company that did it abseiled down the front of the building drilling a series of holes all over (later sealed) and pumped in some grey coloured tiny beads/balls rather than a foam that solidifies. I guess this means that any moisture can escape whilst still keeping the heat in?

I have to say though it did make a difference. It keeps the flat warm by a few extra degrees which may not sound much but it really meant it had to get a lot colder before I needed to turn the central heating on. I'd say that overall it has saved on the gas bill for me.

[Post edited 30 Oct 2013 16:13]
Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:16 - Oct 30 with 3646 viewsgordanoR

Thanks Juzzie,

how old is your property ?
Login to get fewer ads

Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:23 - Oct 30 with 3636 viewsJuzzie

Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:16 - Oct 30 by gordanoR

Thanks Juzzie,

how old is your property ?

Built around 1955.

It's red brick on the outside but I think the main construction is metal girders and concrete.
Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:41 - Oct 30 with 3598 viewsQPR1882

Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:23 - Oct 30 by Juzzie

Built around 1955.

It's red brick on the outside but I think the main construction is metal girders and concrete.

Had ours done ( 1940 / 50 semi ) about 4 years ago, apart from making the house look like it had acne ( they filled all the holes with new mortar which stood out, weathered now so don't notice ), we also had the loft and tanks lagged. Can't say I have noticed a vast change in our bills but the house does feel warmer,although the wife disagrees.

What I will say is if you have the chance to have CWI and the loft space lagged out and it's free,do it , if you have to pay then I don't think it's worth the extra 1 or 2 degrees you save.
Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:44 - Oct 30 with 3593 viewspomanjou

FWIW my detached 1926 prop was done about 5 years ago thru a government scheme by which we paid very little. No evidence whatsoever of any damp and I believe it saved me money as whilst prices were rising my bills edged down. At the same time they offered to insulate the loft but when they came to do the survey they said although the insulation they now use was three times the thickness it had less insulation capability than what I already had.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:49 - Oct 30 with 3581 viewsgordanoR

Thanks all,

my property sounds the same pomanjou. I'm going to ask the neighbours & see if theirs have been done before proceeding.
Cavity Wall Insulation on 18:43 - Oct 30 with 3510 viewsR_from_afar

We've got the mini polystyrene balls insulating our walls. My dad, who worked in construction/engineering, thinks that type are OK but launches into a rant whenever the liquid foam style cavity wall insulation is mentioned (yes, we have some fascinating conversations in my family).

To qualify for the (very modest) RHI grant towards my solar thermal panels, I had to top up our loft insulation. Not sure if it has made the house any warmer but the flies which used to hang out in the loft all year round are no more. Yes, I know, I am a murderer...

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cavity Wall Insulation on 19:30 - Oct 30 with 3449 viewsderbyhoop

Cavity Wall Insulation on 16:49 - Oct 30 by gordanoR

Thanks all,

my property sounds the same pomanjou. I'm going to ask the neighbours & see if theirs have been done before proceeding.

The general consensus is that 10 inch loft insulation, which is what is recommended now, gives a better return than CWI.
CWI should save you money but look at the estimated payback period.

There are grants if you are on benefits. There is also a Govt Green Energy policy which allows low interest loans. Contact your fuel supplier for a (relatively unbiased) view.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024