Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pretending QPR is educational for your children 13:33 - Jan 30 with 2099 viewsOakR

So I have two young boys (1 and 4). Have been trying to brainwash, sorry I mean, educate them in the ways of football.

My wife was not too pleased with my eldest learning the Kevin Gallen's magic song (to be fair our nearest ground is Milwall and him singing it on the bus might not be ideal), however I have justified it by saying it was teaching him left and right, and we could justify this a demonstration with a ball, which we promptly did, shooting with the left foot then shooting with the right. A proud moment indeed.

Any other QPR related ideas I'm all ears!

Poll: Will we stay up?

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 13:43 - Jan 30 with 2080 viewsKonk

Geography: Everything I know about the world is pretty much based on my Dad digging the scores out of the paper or jotting them down for midweek games, and then getting the Atlas out and getting us to find where all the clubs played. I'll never forget the day we discovered Chester v Chesterfield wasn't a derby. European games were especially ace, with the race on to find where the fu ck it was that Dinano Minsk/Hajduk Split played. You can always tell people who didn’t obsess over football as a kid — they're the ones who think Birmingham’s north of Sheffield, have no idea how long it takes to get to Sunderland and have no idea where Monchengladbach is.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2015 13:45]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 13:53 - Jan 30 with 2065 viewsJacksDad

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 13:43 - Jan 30 by Konk

Geography: Everything I know about the world is pretty much based on my Dad digging the scores out of the paper or jotting them down for midweek games, and then getting the Atlas out and getting us to find where all the clubs played. I'll never forget the day we discovered Chester v Chesterfield wasn't a derby. European games were especially ace, with the race on to find where the fu ck it was that Dinano Minsk/Hajduk Split played. You can always tell people who didn’t obsess over football as a kid — they're the ones who think Birmingham’s north of Sheffield, have no idea how long it takes to get to Sunderland and have no idea where Monchengladbach is.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2015 13:45]

Spot on Konk
Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 14:04 - Jan 30 with 2050 viewsPommyhoop

You could try the numbers and maths is fun angle.
Minutes since our last away win.
Number of missed placed passes King Joey makes.
How much money was lost on the Mutch deal.
How much debt we are in...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 14:06 - Jan 30 with 2046 viewsKonk

I genuinely think it made me a lot more curious about the world and want to visit all these places. Once a month or so, my Dad would take me and my brothers to one of our clubs’ away games, and so from 7+, I was visiting towns and cities up North and in the Midlands that none of my classmates had been to and many of my colleagues still haven’t. Without wanting to sound ridiculous, I think it’s made me understand the country a bit better and have more empathy with regions outside the South-East because I’ve never automatically written the midlands and North off as a “shi thole” unlike a lot of people I listen to who’ve barely been up North. You’d go through all that lovely countryside or see some of those grand town halls and city centres and that and you’d see there was life outside of London. I still love the fact that wherever you are in the world, you can usually have a chat about the football as you’ll always find someone who speaks a bit of English, and you’ll always find someone who loves their football. I’ve had some brilliant days/nights out on the pop with locals we’ve randomly met watching football abroad; no details exchanged at the end, just a few hours of international diplomacy and bonding. Football is brilliant on the social side of things — brilliant ice-breaker: “So who’d you support then?” has saved me on countless occasions.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 20:34 - Feb 1 with 1938 viewsOakR

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 14:06 - Jan 30 by Konk

I genuinely think it made me a lot more curious about the world and want to visit all these places. Once a month or so, my Dad would take me and my brothers to one of our clubs’ away games, and so from 7+, I was visiting towns and cities up North and in the Midlands that none of my classmates had been to and many of my colleagues still haven’t. Without wanting to sound ridiculous, I think it’s made me understand the country a bit better and have more empathy with regions outside the South-East because I’ve never automatically written the midlands and North off as a “shi thole” unlike a lot of people I listen to who’ve barely been up North. You’d go through all that lovely countryside or see some of those grand town halls and city centres and that and you’d see there was life outside of London. I still love the fact that wherever you are in the world, you can usually have a chat about the football as you’ll always find someone who speaks a bit of English, and you’ll always find someone who loves their football. I’ve had some brilliant days/nights out on the pop with locals we’ve randomly met watching football abroad; no details exchanged at the end, just a few hours of international diplomacy and bonding. Football is brilliant on the social side of things — brilliant ice-breaker: “So who’d you support then?” has saved me on countless occasions.

If I was a cynic I'd say a Fulham fan was trying to tell someone to take their son to QPR away games therefore ensuring they will give up on football altogether!

Your geography 'lesson' as such is fairly typical of many people I expect, certainly mine though I'd not really thought about it until now.

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 20:39 - Feb 1 with 1932 viewsOakR

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 14:04 - Jan 30 by Pommyhoop

You could try the numbers and maths is fun angle.
Minutes since our last away win.
Number of missed placed passes King Joey makes.
How much money was lost on the Mutch deal.
How much debt we are in...

Minutes since our last win- he's only 4, but realistically can anyone count that high, in fact does that number even exist?

Actually though when he's a bit older working out minutes from the start etc might be good, working out the points table. 3 points for a win, how many points does that make. Could be good!

Pretending QPR is educational for your children on 20:52 - Feb 1 with 1921 viewsTearsOfaClown

I have been where you are now - my sons are 26 (today was his birthday) and 28 . . . and they could only be Rz fans. I think the passion, hope and frustration of supporting QPR makes it very intriguing for little ones.

When my youngest was 6 he said "Dad, do I have to support QPR?"
I asked him why he was asking.
He said, "Well, when I tell boys at school I support QPR they laugh.
I said what else do the say an he said, they ask "WHY?"

I said yes - that is the brilliant thing about supporting QPR - people want to know 'WHY'.
He thought about it and then said "Yes . . I like being a QPR fan."
Last year I was working in Hong Kong and he was with me for 10 days and we watched the play off final in a 'pub' surrounded by 100 Derby fans and 4 ex Derby players. Magical night for us.

We were at the Sheffield United game and we laughed because that is was you do. Better days always lay ahead.

It takes character to be different - and that is what counts - not trying to be popular.

Just make sure their first game is Rz and the rest will follow.

Two of their friends are now Rz fans because they had never seen a professional game because they 'supported' teams you can't follow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024