Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turkish and Syrian earthquake 22:09 - Feb 6 with 3338 viewsloftboy

Bloody hell, just watching the footage on the news, can’t believe what I’m seeing.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 22:21 - Feb 6 with 3277 viewsstanistheman

Dreadful scenes of utter destruction.
3,200 lives confirmed lost but that figure is nowhere near to what the final count will be.
Feel so sorry for their loss.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 02:17 - Feb 7 with 3137 viewsBoston

I experienced a 6.2 back in the 80's. It's bloody scary, unless you're pissed out of your mind, which fortunately...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 08:29 - Feb 7 with 2919 viewsChurchie

We live in Turkiye, we are a 7 hour drive to the epicentre. We felt the initial shock it was strong even from this distance. We have friends in that region.
Appeals to send specific relief supplies have been requested. We just came back from the council offices with some stuff and were warmed with the amount of assistance people were donating.
We follow our local football team Anamurspor and were going to Kilis this weekend.
Kilis is destroyed
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 8:34]
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 08:57 - Feb 7 with 2869 viewsJAPRANGERS

There was a terrible earthquake in Kobe back in 1995 where over 6000 people died. Such a calamitous loss of life in just seconds is so hard to comprehend. Will we ever develop technology to be able to forecast earthquakes in time to allow evacuation of the danger areas I wonder?
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 08:58 - Feb 7 with 2866 viewsJAPRANGERS

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 08:29 - Feb 7 by Churchie

We live in Turkiye, we are a 7 hour drive to the epicentre. We felt the initial shock it was strong even from this distance. We have friends in that region.
Appeals to send specific relief supplies have been requested. We just came back from the council offices with some stuff and were warmed with the amount of assistance people were donating.
We follow our local football team Anamurspor and were going to Kilis this weekend.
Kilis is destroyed
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 8:34]

Stay safe mate!
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 09:14 - Feb 7 with 2827 viewsdmm

Those heartbreaking scenes on the news last night brought tears to my eyes. The death toll is rising and the suffering of so many, many people is utterly unimaginable.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 09:22 - Feb 7 with 2798 viewsSharpy36

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 08:57 - Feb 7 by JAPRANGERS

There was a terrible earthquake in Kobe back in 1995 where over 6000 people died. Such a calamitous loss of life in just seconds is so hard to comprehend. Will we ever develop technology to be able to forecast earthquakes in time to allow evacuation of the danger areas I wonder?

Stop building on fault lines would probably be the easiest solution.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 10:45 - Feb 7 with 2696 viewsQPRSteve

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 09:22 - Feb 7 by Sharpy36

Bit difficult to do when most of the county is in an earthquake zone.

Taken form a report on Nature.com:

Most of Turkey sits on the Anatolian plate between two major faults, the North Anatolian Fault and East Anatolian Fault. The tectonic plate that carries Arabia, including Syria, is colliding northwards into the southern rim of Eurasia and forcing Turkey to be squeezed out towards the west, says David Rothery, a geoscientist at the Open University, UK. “Turkey is moving west about 2 centimetres per year along the East Anatolian fault,” he adds. “Half the length of this fault is lit up now with earthquakes.”
Login to get fewer ads

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 12:29 - Feb 7 with 2580 viewsHayesender

I've just seen some video footage, and I really wish I hadn't. Awful

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 13:03 - Feb 7 with 2537 viewsenfieldargh

Lots of aid on its way to Turkey, sadly the poor people on the Syrian side wont get that as its a war zone. Tragic

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 14:51 - Feb 7 with 2383 viewsLongsufferingR

They can already predict where earthquakes will occur but not exactly when. Istanbul is in line for a huge earthquake according to mapping of previous ones. May be tomorrow, may be 20 years, but it's coming.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 15:51 - Feb 7 with 2305 viewsJuzzie

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 14:51 - Feb 7 by LongsufferingR

They can already predict where earthquakes will occur but not exactly when. Istanbul is in line for a huge earthquake according to mapping of previous ones. May be tomorrow, may be 20 years, but it's coming.

Same with 'frisco. Nigh on a million people in the area but that's nothing compared to 15 million in and around Istanbul.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 17:08 - Feb 7 with 2232 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

You can earthquake proof buildings now, including retrospectively. It’s only economic and political will that stops it.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 17:39 - Feb 7 with 2180 viewscolinallcars

Some people live their entire lives without wanting for anything or seeing a punch thrown in anger.
Whereas these poor buggers have to bear every sort of horror all their lives.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 18:37 - Feb 7 with 2107 viewsPaddyhoops

Putin and his air bombardent a few years ago and now Mother Nature.
Count your blessings!
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 19:09 - Feb 7 with 2081 viewsjoe90

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 13:03 - Feb 7 by enfieldargh

Lots of aid on its way to Turkey, sadly the poor people on the Syrian side wont get that as its a war zone. Tragic

According to the reports I was hearing on the radio , they were saying that UN presence on the ground in northern Syria meant they're actually well prepared for an emergency response. I hope this is true.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 19:12 - Feb 7 with 2068 viewsjoe90

Interestingly, it's actually these areas across major fault lines that produce the most fertile land and led to the earliest settled groups of people - most notably Mesopotamia.

Difficult to uproot communities that are so well established. As Baz said, the government could invest in appropriate infrastructure if they wanted.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 19:39 - Feb 7 with 2014 viewsSakura

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 19:12 - Feb 7 by joe90

Interestingly, it's actually these areas across major fault lines that produce the most fertile land and led to the earliest settled groups of people - most notably Mesopotamia.

Difficult to uproot communities that are so well established. As Baz said, the government could invest in appropriate infrastructure if they wanted.

Why on Earth wouldn’t there be a political will.

Think you will find it’s more to do with Turkey being broke and in the midst of a currency crisis

Typical responses from a mindset in our own country who think the answer to everything is for the government to just print money and fix things with no negative consequences
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 21:12 - Feb 7 with 1924 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

No subject to niche, or too tragic, that a cryptobro won’t use it to flog their worthless shit.
Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 01:26 - Feb 8 with 1780 viewsBoston

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 17:08 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

You can earthquake proof buildings now, including retrospectively. It’s only economic and political will that stops it.

Y'ep, San Fran, it was pretty lucrative as well. Certainly better than the four minute warning bunkers we knocked out in London.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 18:49 - Feb 8 with 1591 viewsSharpy36

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 17:08 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

Add in corruption

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/64568826

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Turkish and Syrian earthquake on 19:12 - Feb 20 with 1259 viewsJuzzie

A 6.4 earthquake has just hit the same region :(
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024