Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indy article on stadium plans 08:45 - Dec 16 with 6855 viewssexton

Sam Wallace: QPR's new stadium plans throw the spotlight on to Chelsea's dilemma at Stamford Bridge, where there is no obvious solution

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-qprs-ne

Indy article on stadium plans on 08:54 - Dec 16 with 5290 viewsJonDoeman

Good article , especially this now or never part:
"It is one of those opportunities for QPR that might never come again, a new ground in west London, the most expensive part of one of the most expensive cities in the world. Not that Old Oak Common, with its waste recycling plants, used car dealerships and derelict buildings is what most people imagine when they think of west London.

The site is the modern London planner's dream, encompassing HS2 and the Crossrail transport hub, as well as new homes. In a city where the demand for space is insatiable, it is hard to drive through the area and imagine it remaining in its current state for another generation."

It Is What It Is !!

Indy article on stadium plans on 09:00 - Dec 16 with 5273 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks Sexton.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:09 - Dec 16 with 5095 viewsGetMeRangers

Indy article on stadium plans on 08:54 - Dec 16 by JonDoeman

Good article , especially this now or never part:
"It is one of those opportunities for QPR that might never come again, a new ground in west London, the most expensive part of one of the most expensive cities in the world. Not that Old Oak Common, with its waste recycling plants, used car dealerships and derelict buildings is what most people imagine when they think of west London.

The site is the modern London planner's dream, encompassing HS2 and the Crossrail transport hub, as well as new homes. In a city where the demand for space is insatiable, it is hard to drive through the area and imagine it remaining in its current state for another generation."

I certainly hope that after all the initial hoo-ha dies down, many will see what a wonderful and possibly unique opportunity this is for us.

Far more pleasing to see the long term struggles lying ahead for the scum, too
Indy article on stadium plans on 11:33 - Dec 16 with 5018 viewsnadera78

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:09 - Dec 16 by GetMeRangers

I certainly hope that after all the initial hoo-ha dies down, many will see what a wonderful and possibly unique opportunity this is for us.

Far more pleasing to see the long term struggles lying ahead for the scum, too

I don't think anyone denies that this is a massive opportunity, just that the idea of a 40,000 seat stadium radically changes QPR. In order to fill it we'll need to ship in lots of tourists and, worse than that, a massive increase in away fans. Fernandes has admitted as much

We'll quite possible be looking at QPR v Manure with 25,000 QPR fans and 15,000 Manure. As long as they fill a seat and buy a burger then it's all okay? Is that really the sort of attitude we want for our club?

If they'd said 30,000 then there'd be very few people criticising this. There's almost 100% agreement that Loftus Rd is past its sell-by date. At this point I'd say it's nothing more than ego on his part - everyone's told him it's too big but he's going to show us we're wrong and that he can do something no other club has ever done and nearly treble their gates.
Indy article on stadium plans on 11:39 - Dec 16 with 5000 viewsWatfordR

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:33 - Dec 16 by nadera78

I don't think anyone denies that this is a massive opportunity, just that the idea of a 40,000 seat stadium radically changes QPR. In order to fill it we'll need to ship in lots of tourists and, worse than that, a massive increase in away fans. Fernandes has admitted as much

We'll quite possible be looking at QPR v Manure with 25,000 QPR fans and 15,000 Manure. As long as they fill a seat and buy a burger then it's all okay? Is that really the sort of attitude we want for our club?

If they'd said 30,000 then there'd be very few people criticising this. There's almost 100% agreement that Loftus Rd is past its sell-by date. At this point I'd say it's nothing more than ego on his part - everyone's told him it's too big but he's going to show us we're wrong and that he can do something no other club has ever done and nearly treble their gates.

Get the long term strategy right for the club, have it at the heart of the new community being created, I think its possible that over time support for the club can be successfully grown.
Indy article on stadium plans on 11:46 - Dec 16 with 4971 viewsnadera78

Increasing crowds would be a generational thing, several generations in fact. We'd be looking at 20 years before we saw any tangible and sustainable increase - that means the stadium would be ageing before it even came close to fulfilling its size. And that's if it's even possible to treble crowds - which I don't think it is.
Indy article on stadium plans on 11:52 - Dec 16 with 4951 viewsWatfordR

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:46 - Dec 16 by nadera78

Increasing crowds would be a generational thing, several generations in fact. We'd be looking at 20 years before we saw any tangible and sustainable increase - that means the stadium would be ageing before it even came close to fulfilling its size. And that's if it's even possible to treble crowds - which I don't think it is.

I think we could attract 20000 Rs fans right now if we had a big enough ground, and perhaps slightly cheaper tickets available. and certainly could if we were in the Prem. So to fill a 40000 seater stadium with 5000 of those available to away support in the Prem isn't even looking at a doubling of our support.
Indy article on stadium plans on 11:57 - Dec 16 with 4923 viewsnadera78

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:52 - Dec 16 by WatfordR

I think we could attract 20000 Rs fans right now if we had a big enough ground, and perhaps slightly cheaper tickets available. and certainly could if we were in the Prem. So to fill a 40000 seater stadium with 5000 of those available to away support in the Prem isn't even looking at a doubling of our support.

We averaged less than 15k home fans last season, assuming away support remains at 3k moving to 40k means 37k home fans. That's 2.5 times our current home fans. That's not going to happen, or anywhere near it. The only alternative is to fill it with away fans - can't wait for home games with 15,000 people from Surrey wearing red shirts.
Login to get fewer ads

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:59 - Dec 16 with 4911 viewsWatfordR

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:57 - Dec 16 by nadera78

We averaged less than 15k home fans last season, assuming away support remains at 3k moving to 40k means 37k home fans. That's 2.5 times our current home fans. That's not going to happen, or anywhere near it. The only alternative is to fill it with away fans - can't wait for home games with 15,000 people from Surrey wearing red shirts.

You're missing the point.How many more home fans would we have had at home games last season with a 25k capacity stadium?
Indy article on stadium plans on 12:10 - Dec 16 with 4868 viewsderbyhoop

Whilst there is a general agreement, with a small percentage of dissenters, that a move to Old Oak is a good thing for the club, there are 2 major reservations.
1) We'll lose the intimacy of Loftus Road which, when the crowd gets going, is an intimidating place for away teams to visit.
2) We won't be able to fill the ground and, as a result, the atmosphere is muted.

There is going to have to be some innovative design to address point 1 and ensure we don't have some soulless Riverside/Ricoh/Walkers bowl.
Any design will need to be flexible to address point 2. The BC stadium in Vancouver shows us a way. Personally, I'd be happy with an initial 25K+, which can be expanded as demand increases.
How successfully QPR market the club to both local residents and the tourists will also be important.
The plans the owners have in place for an Academy and the new ground illustrate the ambitions to be one of the top Premier League clubs. Is it achievable? Probably not, in the next 5 years. But if we get back to the PL and stay there, Fulham get relegated and Chelsea stagnate (as implied by the article in the OP) then why not?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Indy article on stadium plans on 12:24 - Dec 16 with 4815 viewsFlex

What Fernandes needs to do, is to target the thousands of sleeper fans, by offering (undercutting) PL outfits in the capital. We're not going to fill a 40k stadium next year, but with affordable matches, and relative success we can hope to attract circa 25k >.

Expect QPR tickets to appear on the likes of Quidco in the future.
Indy article on stadium plans on 12:34 - Dec 16 with 4771 viewsLblock

Factually inaccurate article

There is only ONE club in West London.
Without the creation of a new "W" postcode, when the new stadium is built there will be zero

Mr Pedantic signing off....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Indy article on stadium plans on 12:58 - Dec 16 with 4695 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:46 - Dec 16 by nadera78

Im not so sure you are right about the 20 year thing. Take Stoke as an example. The year they got promoted thier average attendance was 16k. Thier first year in the Premiership it was 27k. Thats one hell of a leap and none that I think QPR could easily match and excede. That would include a larger away presence and reasonable ticket prices
Indy article on stadium plans on 13:04 - Dec 16 with 4666 viewsJuzzie

Not that I give a flying fook about Chelsea but I don't know why they need to relocate?

Knock down the Shed End & hotel and rebuild it with just a football stand. That would add about 10k bringing up capacity to 52k which is probably right what they want.

Interesting though that the club was formed merely to utiliste an already built stadium.

Fake club from day one.
Indy article on stadium plans on 13:04 - Dec 16 with 4662 viewsHollowayRanger

if it happens

vital

they have great transport links to the stadium
they reach and stay in premiership
they under price everyone else in london

far better to have 40,000 paying £10-20 then 15,000 paying £30, food programes club shop and hopefully they will come again

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Indy article on stadium plans on 13:10 - Dec 16 with 4650 viewsClive_Anderson

Indy article on stadium plans on 13:04 - Dec 16 by Juzzie

Not that I give a flying fook about Chelsea but I don't know why they need to relocate?

Knock down the Shed End & hotel and rebuild it with just a football stand. That would add about 10k bringing up capacity to 52k which is probably right what they want.

Interesting though that the club was formed merely to utiliste an already built stadium.

Fake club from day one.

Yep and they bought themselves straight into the second division. Nothing seems to change.
Indy article on stadium plans on 13:20 - Dec 16 with 4617 viewsMedwayR

Fulham's fault. The businessmen that built stamford bridge did so expecting Fulham to move in, however the Fulham owner didn't get on with the businessmen so decided to stay put leaving them with a big stadium & no one using it costing them a fortune. So they formed chelsea.

The Fulham chairman then got the 'ump as Fulham were no longer had the club with the best stadium so he bought Arsenal & instructed his architect (Archie Leitch) to build the best stadium in London, the only place he could do this was at Highbury so Arsenal moved from Woolwich to North London.

So Arsenal became North London & the scum came into existence all because of Fulham...

Poll: Who’s better?

Indy article on stadium plans on 13:22 - Dec 16 with 4607 viewsblacky2013

In 1998 Fulham's average attendance was 9018 so far this season they are on 24526 so it is possible to double gates. Add on that we will be in a new area with a significant number of new housing and businesses right on the doorstep and I can see us not having to cater to the tourists for too long.
Indy article on stadium plans on 13:54 - Dec 16 with 4524 viewsCroydonCaptJack

A very interesting article.

I can't help noticing the irony of some of the comments following it on here. They mention we only need 25-30k to start with. This is probably true but Chelsea have a problem now that we could have in 10-20 years. I recall sub 10k crowds for Chelsea back in the 80s.
Indy article on stadium plans on 14:01 - Dec 16 with 4515 viewsrobith

Indy article on stadium plans on 13:04 - Dec 16 by Juzzie

Fake club from day one.

And Stamford Bridge is built on a slag heap where they dumped all the earth dug up from the building of the original met line tunnel
Indy article on stadium plans on 14:21 - Dec 16 with 4471 viewsderbyhoop

Indy article on stadium plans on 13:04 - Dec 16 by HollowayRanger

if it happens

vital

they have great transport links to the stadium
they reach and stay in premiership
they under price everyone else in london

far better to have 40,000 paying £10-20 then 15,000 paying £30, food programes club shop and hopefully they will come again

Whilst your first points are perfectly valid, the conclusion does not relate.
People are not expecting 40,000 crowds every week and a price of £20 a ticket is not going to guarantee a full house every week. Not even in the PL
To then say that crowds would only be 15,000 if the price were £30 is pure fantasy.

From a PURE revenue view, 27,000 at £30 brings in more than 40,000 at £20.

I believe 27,000 playing in the PL with all the positives from a new ground is readily achievable. Offering PL tickets at £10-20 is suicidal, with no guarantee of capacity crowds.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Indy article on stadium plans on 14:23 - Dec 16 with 4465 viewsTheBlob

Interesting concepts....despite getting pipped to the site....

[Post edited 16 Dec 2013 14:34]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Indy article on stadium plans on 14:38 - Dec 16 with 4408 viewsJamie

Indy article on stadium plans on 14:21 - Dec 16 by derbyhoop

People are not expecting 40,000 crowds every week and a price of £20 a ticket is not going to guarantee a full house every week. Not even in the PL
To then say that crowds would only be 15,000 if the price were £30 is pure fantasy.

I believe 27,000 playing in the PL with all the positives from a new ground is readily achievable. Offering PL tickets at £10-20 is suicidal, with no guarantee of capacity crowds.

Would expect them to be planning deals in the Far East - Fly AA to London, stay at the AA hotel, see a QPR game, one direction concert on the Sunday, few days of sightseeing and fly AA home.
Indy article on stadium plans on 15:38 - Dec 16 with 4339 viewsJuzzie

Indy article on stadium plans on 13:54 - Dec 16 by CroydonCaptJack

A very interesting article.

I can't help noticing the irony of some of the comments following it on here. They mention we only need 25-30k to start with. This is probably true but Chelsea have a problem now that we could have in 10-20 years. I recall sub 10k crowds for Chelsea back in the 80s.

This is what I've said on another general football forums when people have giggled at the 40k figure. I've told them of course it's too big for now but it looks like the club are future-proofing things epsecially if the illustrations are to be believed.

The new stadium will be hemmed in just like LR is now so unlike a lot of other new stadiums being built, we may not have the ability to expand so need to build big from day one.
Indy article on stadium plans on 15:48 - Dec 16 with 4306 viewsJuzzie

Indy article on stadium plans on 14:21 - Dec 16 by derbyhoop

"From a PURE revenue view, 27,000 at £30 brings in more than 40,000 at £20."

Sadly this was exactly's Briatore's attitude. Put the prices as high as possible knowing the hard-core will still go and 14,000 at that price will bring in more money than 18,300 at lower prices.

I think he missed the 'bums on seats' principle in that by offering lower ticket prices and getting people in to the ground, more money will likely be spent on programmes, food & drink, merchandising etc.

I think it's paramount the club adopts this approach. Also, people are already wondering about pubs. Well, make there plentiful facilites either in the ground itself or on the site around the ground (ensuring income goes to the club rather than any landlords/breweries) and that's more revenue.

[Post edited 16 Dec 2013 16:09]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024