Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shaun Derry - views? 11:11 - Oct 19 with 7104 viewsAntti_Heinola

Personally, I think Derry will be in charge within a month. It all fits.
Ignoring the whys and wherefores, rights and wrongs, what are your views? Obviously I love him as a man. But as a manager?
His record at County was:
W 26
D 14
L 37

He saved them from a terrible situation in his first season, after winning 6 of the last 9 games of the season, although that was off the back of losing 8 in his previous 10.

They had an ok start to the next season before a great run of six wins on the bounce... but then won just 2 of the next 13. And from Jan to March they lost 9 in 12.

So it's a really mixed bag, but it was also an extremely difficult job - and his first job too and I'm a great believer in getting managers on their second job if possible, as most bosses make a lot of mistakes as they learn.

But still, if/when he's appointed. What would your feelings be?

Me? Non-plused. Not because it's Derry, but because I'm extremely jaded about manager changes now. It's have to be Pep or Bielsa to get me excited.

Bare bones.

Shaun Derry - views? on 11:14 - Oct 19 with 5171 viewsozexile

I think if we give it to Derry we may as well turn the lights off, lock the gates and sell the ground.
Shaun Derry - views? on 11:14 - Oct 19 with 5166 viewsdaveB

He might be good he might be rubbish but the most experienced have failed at QPR and with the set up we have it is always likely to fail.

Would agree though Derry with Warnock alongside him looks on the cards, probably after we lose to Brentford next week or earlier if the home games go wrong.
Shaun Derry - views? on 11:15 - Oct 19 with 5161 viewsElHoop

Is it April 1st already?
Shaun Derry - views? on 11:20 - Oct 19 with 5133 viewsted_hendrix

Its bloody madness, all of this Managerial changing is just madness, do you 'pull the trigger' or do you not 'pull the trigger' ? on and on it goes.
The Reading fans I know had no time for Steve Clarke in his first few Months at Reading, look at them now.
The bastards.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Shaun Derry - views? on 11:22 - Oct 19 with 5126 viewsstuabd

I've been thinking that for a while now. It bears all the hallmarks of TF appointment.

If all this long-term vision and consolidation was true he should have at least been interviewed for our job when HR left.
Shaun Derry - views? on 11:27 - Oct 19 with 5093 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Let's hope he goes on a season long winning streak and wins a league and FA cup double otherwise the knives will be out.

Oh, and also the football needs to be entertaining. And he needs to bring in youngsters. And sign world class players. And arrange free beer on tap in The Springbok and White Horse. And make the pies taste better. And improve the weather.

Don't do it Derry, it's career suicide!
Shaun Derry - views? on 11:29 - Oct 19 with 5086 viewssimmo

Other than his QPR connection, is there any significant difference between him and Ramsey? If the remit of the new manager is handling one of the best squads in the division and getting promotion, he’s absolutely not the right choice (on past experience anyway). If it’s giving a managerial opportunity to a young manager with potential that has already got a strong affection for the club and links to both ends of the club, then it could be a good move.

It seems increasingly more obvious to me that under the current ownership the ‘old QPR’ is dead and gone, if we’re going to hire/fire off the back of results and promotions, then we might as well go all out and stick to more proven people. Personally I think there’s the option to go for a mixture of the 2 — Karl Robinson is still my preference. But then I am having trouble giving a flying fck either way.

It’s the Les Ferdinand situation I am going to most disappointed about (if Warnock moves into his place), I actually think he’s done a decent job.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Shaun Derry - views? on 11:43 - Oct 19 with 5040 viewsCiderwithRsie

Shaun Derry - views? on 11:27 - Oct 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

Let's hope he goes on a season long winning streak and wins a league and FA cup double otherwise the knives will be out.

Oh, and also the football needs to be entertaining. And he needs to bring in youngsters. And sign world class players. And arrange free beer on tap in The Springbok and White Horse. And make the pies taste better. And improve the weather.

Don't do it Derry, it's career suicide!

There's an entirely sensible point amongst your satire: we talk about whether or not Ramsey will or should be sacked without asking whether anyone else actually wants the job.

I imagine Derry would, I'd be surprised if Warnock did. It's starting to resemble the last days of Briatore as the pool of potential managers shrank to the likes of Hart.
Login to get fewer ads

Shaun Derry - views? on 11:53 - Oct 19 with 5000 viewsfrancisbowles

Even if we don't believe the official line about CR and Sir Les being happy with NW as an advisor etc, shouldn't we at least give it a chance? At least till the end of November.
Shaun Derry - views? on 12:05 - Oct 19 with 4938 viewsLblock

I'll be calling him a stupid and childish name within a month.

I may even get the thinking cap on and get started now.

He will be our Manager one day, with Clint Hill involved in some capacity. I'd welcome him back purely because he always seems to talk about passion and hard work and I think he'd demand high standards.

My choice was, is and will remain KENNY JACKET

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Shaun Derry - views? on 12:08 - Oct 19 with 4917 viewsWeaverQPR

Would he be any better than Ramsey? Seems TF wants to get the old band back together, he has obviously been swayed by stories of past glory

@WeavQPR

Shaun Derry - views? on 12:24 - Oct 19 with 4863 viewsDoughnut

Myself, I would let it all ride for now. It isn't like it was in the Prem, when we needed a quick fix. Bobbling along midway up the Championship gives us time. I don't think Ramsey is much good but I would say the same for Derry. Yes he's a well committed bloke for our cause, but then Stuart Pearce was of the same type, elsewhere, and he came to nothing. If, on the other hand, we start to drop with Ramsey, then I would definately reach for the Big red button.
Shaun Derry - views? on 12:38 - Oct 19 with 4794 viewsTheBlob

Derry?
Lovely fella but as usual it's thinking with the gonads rather than brain.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Shaun Derry - views? on 12:42 - Oct 19 with 4778 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Shaun Derry - views? on 11:29 - Oct 19 by simmo

Other than his QPR connection, is there any significant difference between him and Ramsey? If the remit of the new manager is handling one of the best squads in the division and getting promotion, he’s absolutely not the right choice (on past experience anyway). If it’s giving a managerial opportunity to a young manager with potential that has already got a strong affection for the club and links to both ends of the club, then it could be a good move.

It seems increasingly more obvious to me that under the current ownership the ‘old QPR’ is dead and gone, if we’re going to hire/fire off the back of results and promotions, then we might as well go all out and stick to more proven people. Personally I think there’s the option to go for a mixture of the 2 — Karl Robinson is still my preference. But then I am having trouble giving a flying fck either way.

It’s the Les Ferdinand situation I am going to most disappointed about (if Warnock moves into his place), I actually think he’s done a decent job.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Shaun Derry - views? on 12:47 - Oct 19 with 4748 viewsElHoop

I've devoted millions of hours of research to the subject of what makes a good manager and Derry isn't the right sort.

The research reveals that managers fall into the following categories, with diminishing chances of success:

1. Managers who weren't successful players but have got somewhere through developing coaching and management skills. This is the best place to look.
2. Strikers/Attacking Midfielders - if you can't be bothered to look for a category 1 then get a striker or midfielder with a good scoring record and some signs of coaching skills/man management. The ability to score goals and create goals seems to use similar skills to the art of management - there's a decent level of correlation anyway.
3. Defenders - ex-defenders are not as exciting as strikers when it comes to management. Their teams are usually dour and workmanlike but a good manager in this category will keep you in the division where you want to be, even if he'll probably end up boring everyone to death.
4. Non-scoring midfielders - this is pretty much the dregs. They got where they did through hard work and graft and they expect everyone else to be like that, and everybody else isn't like that, so they usually fail.
5. Goalkeepers. Invariably mad - they are the basket cases of management - they live in some parallel universe. Don't ever employ one as a manager.

So that's it - years of researrch - given up for free. Take note.
Shaun Derry - views? on 12:55 - Oct 19 with 4709 viewsAntti_Heinola

Shaun Derry - views? on 12:47 - Oct 19 by ElHoop

I've devoted millions of hours of research to the subject of what makes a good manager and Derry isn't the right sort.

The research reveals that managers fall into the following categories, with diminishing chances of success:

1. Managers who weren't successful players but have got somewhere through developing coaching and management skills. This is the best place to look.
2. Strikers/Attacking Midfielders - if you can't be bothered to look for a category 1 then get a striker or midfielder with a good scoring record and some signs of coaching skills/man management. The ability to score goals and create goals seems to use similar skills to the art of management - there's a decent level of correlation anyway.
3. Defenders - ex-defenders are not as exciting as strikers when it comes to management. Their teams are usually dour and workmanlike but a good manager in this category will keep you in the division where you want to be, even if he'll probably end up boring everyone to death.
4. Non-scoring midfielders - this is pretty much the dregs. They got where they did through hard work and graft and they expect everyone else to be like that, and everybody else isn't like that, so they usually fail.
5. Goalkeepers. Invariably mad - they are the basket cases of management - they live in some parallel universe. Don't ever employ one as a manager.

So that's it - years of researrch - given up for free. Take note.

Wasn't Pep Guardiola a non-scoring (or rarely scoring) midfielder? ;)
Excellent break down, though. Think it's largely spot on.
George Graham, of course, the classic flamboyant player-turned-dour-manager.
Olly bit of a non-scoring midfielder too.
Ancelotti managed a goal every 10 games from midfield. Is that scoring or non scoring?

Bare bones.

Shaun Derry - views? on 13:01 - Oct 19 with 4675 viewsElHoop

Shaun Derry - views? on 12:55 - Oct 19 by Antti_Heinola

Wasn't Pep Guardiola a non-scoring (or rarely scoring) midfielder? ;)
Excellent break down, though. Think it's largely spot on.
George Graham, of course, the classic flamboyant player-turned-dour-manager.
Olly bit of a non-scoring midfielder too.
Ancelotti managed a goal every 10 games from midfield. Is that scoring or non scoring?

George Graham scored goals though - that's a key component whether he was dour or not - he was Scottish as well so that probably didn't help the dour side.

Holloway did score a few though - not prolific but more than Derry and his goals probably were of about the level he achieved as a manager.
Shaun Derry - views? on 13:04 - Oct 19 with 4655 viewsnoauthority

Not for me. We might just lumber and lump and kick our way to promotion, but the squad will in no way be able to cope with the Premiership and relegation will be inevitable.

Hill will inevitably be appointed assistant or coach. Again a desperate choice.

It's the usual, if it's not working the only solution is 'two up top', '4-4-2', 'simple game/ball', 'back to basics', 'plan b = 4-4-2', 'no showboating' etc.

It does look as if Ramsey is not up to the job, but we still need to look beyond the immediate future, get a manger in who can start to build a side that could hold it's own in the premiership.

The number of talented (and expensive) players who have been a fail at Rangers, suggests something has to be wrong behind the scenes. Sure some may have been only in it for the cash. I cannot believe that explains all though.

Oh for the days of jago, sexton and venables....when we understood flair was as important as effort. When we built sides that entertained and competed.
Shaun Derry - views? on 19:23 - Oct 19 with 4393 viewsCamberleyR

Holloway only became a non scoring midfielder when he moved to us. In his two spells at Bristol Rovers in the 80s, prior to him coming here he scored 40 in nearly 300 league games.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Shaun Derry - views? on 19:31 - Oct 19 with 4367 viewsElHoop

Shaun Derry - views? on 19:23 - Oct 19 by CamberleyR

Holloway only became a non scoring midfielder when he moved to us. In his two spells at Bristol Rovers in the 80s, prior to him coming here he scored 40 in nearly 300 league games.

But that doesn't compare too badly with say Matt Philips, who most people would probably reckon to be more of a goalscorer than Holloway.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2015 19:32]
Shaun Derry - views? on 19:42 - Oct 19 with 4330 viewsbosh67

Not sure Derry would be the best choice.

One manager who is available if the worst happens for Ramsey would be Brian McDermott. Generally has had a 40% win rate. Did very well at Reading, wasn't bad at Leeds but generally had a load of sh*t to work with, including the owner.

I would think McDermott could sort us out to be both solid and attacking.

Saying that I just looked at Uwe Rösler's general record and his is over 40% win rate. One stat that is impressive with him is his sides don't lose many games.

Both of the above have suffered the same dh*t owner. Both are possibly better options than what we have in terms of experience.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2015 19:48]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Shaun Derry - views? on 19:50 - Oct 19 with 4301 viewsCamberleyR

McDermott wouldn't be a bad shout actually.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Shaun Derry - views? on 20:03 - Oct 19 with 4257 viewsFredManRave

Uwe Rosler has just become available...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Shaun Derry - views? on 21:00 - Oct 19 with 4163 viewssimmohoopster

Guardiola, Ancelotti, even Fergie could be our manager and we would still struggle. Fernandes is the problem
Shaun Derry - views? on 21:18 - Oct 19 with 4111 viewsPunteR

I haven't got a problem with Derry as next manager,why not? At least he has ties to the club and seem to genuinely care. He's young,he might have some fresh ideas. He has a good work ethic and demands that from his colleagues.
I'd rather him than Warnock tbh. Yeh get Clint in a coaching role as well.
I'd rather give Ramsey time though and Ferdinand even more time.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024