Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football casuals 18:26 - May 20 with 3524 viewsBrighouseDale

Bored at work, just been reading up on the casual culture of the 1980s. Anyone have any memories of this at Spotland or was it not such a big thing around these parts?

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Football casuals on 21:57 - May 20 with 3336 viewsBigDaveMyCock

I find the whole reverence, not saying you are being here, of the 1980s and beyond casual culture a load of retrospective bollox. I personally never thought real football hooligans or wannabies (who were the vast majority) were ever cool. They were just violent pr1cks (in groups I hasten to add) for the most part. Bunch of fookin idiots trying to cover up big inadequacies if you ask me.
You can dress it all up with as many pairs of addidas Samba and Fred Perry tops as you want but I will not change my opinion. Macho bullsh1t.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Football casuals on 22:14 - May 20 with 3276 viewswroughtironron

Great track though

Football casuals on 22:16 - May 20 with 3270 viewsBrighouseDale

Football casuals on 21:57 - May 20 by BigDaveMyCock

I find the whole reverence, not saying you are being here, of the 1980s and beyond casual culture a load of retrospective bollox. I personally never thought real football hooligans or wannabies (who were the vast majority) were ever cool. They were just violent pr1cks (in groups I hasten to add) for the most part. Bunch of fookin idiots trying to cover up big inadequacies if you ask me.
You can dress it all up with as many pairs of addidas Samba and Fred Perry tops as you want but I will not change my opinion. Macho bullsh1t.

Can't disagree with that, many of the stories I read were obviously written by old men in rose tinted spectacles. Although I do find the fashion and music aspects interesting, I absolutely despise violence and that side of it just doesn't impress me at whatsoever.

Was just wondering what (if any) peoples memories of the subculture were on here, given that most of the commentators I've seen today appear to be West Ham or Liverpool "supporters".

Football casuals on 23:26 - May 20 with 3163 viewslancsdale

Football casuals on 22:16 - May 20 by BrighouseDale

Can't disagree with that, many of the stories I read were obviously written by old men in rose tinted spectacles. Although I do find the fashion and music aspects interesting, I absolutely despise violence and that side of it just doesn't impress me at whatsoever.

Was just wondering what (if any) peoples memories of the subculture were on here, given that most of the commentators I've seen today appear to be West Ham or Liverpool "supporters".

I would say Burnley was always the trouble games in our derbys before their rise and burys fall from the elite.They've always had and still do have hooligan problems many a time pubs on whitworth rd and in whitworth got smashed up as they headed home after a derby.I went to Turf Moor for the odd match when Dale were away as a teenager and twice got dragged onto the pitch by police as it went "off" in the longsight stand,once against darlo who also had a big mob that day.Ialso seem to remember swansea always had a lot of sewer rats follow them,they wore wooly jumpers and had taches.I kid you not!
Football casuals on 23:52 - May 20 with 3137 viewsBrighouseDale

Football casuals on 23:26 - May 20 by lancsdale

I would say Burnley was always the trouble games in our derbys before their rise and burys fall from the elite.They've always had and still do have hooligan problems many a time pubs on whitworth rd and in whitworth got smashed up as they headed home after a derby.I went to Turf Moor for the odd match when Dale were away as a teenager and twice got dragged onto the pitch by police as it went "off" in the longsight stand,once against darlo who also had a big mob that day.Ialso seem to remember swansea always had a lot of sewer rats follow them,they wore wooly jumpers and had taches.I kid you not!

Haha, only in South Wales could a moustache be construed as hard. Seem to remember reading somewhere about away fans trying to "take" The Sandy in the 70s or 80s. Can't remember if it was on here or in The Sun Also Rises by Mark Hodkinson. Anyway I'm glad you can attend (most) football league games now without worrying about getting your head kicked in.

The most drama I've experienced was Bradford away two years ago when some spotty youth came up to me on the way back to the car and called me a sh*t c*nt. Oh and remember my dad being annoyed when we got held behind at Burton Albion's old ground about fifteen years ago. Apparently there were LOADS of Stoke fans in their home end wanting it to kick off. Such a pain when you're trying to beat the traffic.

Football casuals on 03:35 - May 21 with 3089 viewsfrenzied

cant believe the interest or fascination with the so called hard men of the 80's ..bunch of cowards who if were exposed to real conflict would shiit themseves.
Used to see away fans at Old Trafford bounch out of the rear exits of football coaches when close to the ground and attack the nearest passer by ...Liverpool fans who used to sew stanley blades into the waist of their jeans then simply unstich it in the ground and wave the thing around,...but be under no illusions the "heroics '" regurgitated by the hard men authors is pure myth..the game is far better without them..lets send any wanna be's to Afghanistan or Iraq..now thats courage!!!!!
Football casuals on 08:51 - May 21 with 2973 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Never mind the 80s...we were the snappiest dressers in the mid-60s!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCHDALE-Official-Handbo
Football casuals on 10:02 - May 21 with 2915 viewsParkinsGimp

Wow Liverpool and burnley mentioned in the same thread about hooligans. LOL I found both sets of fans absolute cowards who attack people who were not even looking for trouble. In the 80's these people usually sought out each other but not at places like these. burnley always acted bertie big b"llox but always got put down by whoever they came up against , even little old Rochdale.
Have to say a few times the hooligans at Rochdale did save a few normal footy fans from a good hiding from empty heads that had visited.
Each to their own I say.
PS I do have an inherent hatred of liverpool and burnley , well all things merseyside so slightly biased LOL
Login to get fewer ads

Football casuals on 13:17 - May 21 with 2801 viewsonetonyellis

Football casuals on 23:52 - May 20 by BrighouseDale

Haha, only in South Wales could a moustache be construed as hard. Seem to remember reading somewhere about away fans trying to "take" The Sandy in the 70s or 80s. Can't remember if it was on here or in The Sun Also Rises by Mark Hodkinson. Anyway I'm glad you can attend (most) football league games now without worrying about getting your head kicked in.

The most drama I've experienced was Bradford away two years ago when some spotty youth came up to me on the way back to the car and called me a sh*t c*nt. Oh and remember my dad being annoyed when we got held behind at Burton Albion's old ground about fifteen years ago. Apparently there were LOADS of Stoke fans in their home end wanting it to kick off. Such a pain when you're trying to beat the traffic.

We are mad, we're insane, no-one takes the Sandy Lane...and...You'll never take the Sandy....were two of the chants back in the 1970s.
Football casuals on 16:16 - May 21 with 2688 viewsnordenblue

Wasnt that a chant when there was talk of giving Burnley?? the sandy one season or something on then lines,then someone sat in the centre circle as a protest.That was in my very early days supporting Dale
Football casuals on 16:22 - May 21 with 2678 views442Dale

Football casuals on 16:16 - May 21 by nordenblue

Wasnt that a chant when there was talk of giving Burnley?? the sandy one season or something on then lines,then someone sat in the centre circle as a protest.That was in my very early days supporting Dale

End of 90/91 season. Fans stayed behind in the Sandy at the end of the previous game and some did go onto the pitch. The chairman came over to talk to supporters and the decision was reversed. Although Burnley brought a lot, they didn't need the Sandy too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Football casuals on 17:02 - May 21 with 2634 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Football casuals on 16:22 - May 21 by 442Dale

End of 90/91 season. Fans stayed behind in the Sandy at the end of the previous game and some did go onto the pitch. The chairman came over to talk to supporters and the decision was reversed. Although Burnley brought a lot, they didn't need the Sandy too.

Was this the build up to the infamous David Kilpatrick comment at a Fan's Forum where Moggy came in, well oiled, singing 'I was born in the Sandy Lane'

Kilpatrick 'Moggy, you were born in Birch Hill like the rest of us now sit down!'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024