Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium 10:17 - Aug 27 with 21682 viewsColDale

We have been contacted by a large number of Trust members and Dale supporters in the last few weeks with regard to the purchase of Spotland by Rochdale A.F.C., with further enquiries after Keith Hill’s comments after the Bristol City game on Saturday.

Since April, there have been a number of statements and reports that have linked Rochdale A.F.C. with a bid to regain full ownership of Spotland Stadium, with a number of concerns raised throughout August about the role of Rochdale Council in this bid by both the board of directors at Rochdale A.F.C. and even the manager Keith Hill.

The creation of a Stadium Company back in the late 1980’s saw Rochdale A.F.C. retain a 45.5% shareholding in the Stadium, with Rochdale Hornets acquiring an equivalent shareholding and Rochdale Council taking on the remaining 9%. However, financial problems for Rochdale Hornets saw their shareholding transfer to the RFL as a result of a loan, and soon after they entered administration. They eventually were forced to reform and were allowed to play at Spotland.

However, the current three party ownership of Spotland Stadium has seen a significant debt accumulated. We believe the debt currently stands in excess of £600,000 and as things stand, it is increasing year by year. Under the current three party ownership, this debt will continue to grow until the day when it becomes unsustainable and the Stadium enters administration.

It was announced in April of this year, that Rochdale A.F.C. had launched a bid to acquire full ownership of the stadium. By pursuing full ownership of the Stadium, Rochdale A.F.C would take full responsibility for these debts.

Whilst concerns from supporters of Rochdale Hornets are understandable, we can confirm that any deal to take over the ownership of Spotland would include a long term lease at a reduced rent which would allow the continued use of Spotland by Rochdale Hornets. All supporters of Rochdale Hornets can be assured that there is no plan or desire to see them play home games away from Spotland.

It is our belief that earlier in the year, the Council were fully supportive of Rochdale A.F.C.’s bid to buy the Stadium, given the assurances regarding Rochdale Hornets and the Stadium Company debts. Not only that, the belief was that the RFL were willing to do business with Rochdale AFC given the assurances that were being made.

However, it would appear that the change in leadership at the Council no longer seems to be backing this plan. As such, we are asking questions about who’s best interest they are acting in. The new Council Leader Richard Farnell is a Rochdale Hornets sponsor and the man he placed in charge of the Stadium Company — Allen Brett — is a former Hornets director. Furthermore, after taking on the position on June 4th, Allen Brett spoke on BBC Radio on August denied any knowledge of a Stadium purchase claiming to be “flabberghasted” despite the bid being on the cards for a number of months and front page news in the Rochdale Observer.

We can confirm that one Trust member has already contacted the acting Chief Executive of the Council in the past week over a number of concerns regarding Allen Brett’s suitability for the position of Stadium Company Chairman.

We are very concerned as a representative body for Rochdale A.F.C. supporters that it would appear that the serving members of the Council are not acting in a way that is in the best interest of the people they represent, many of whom are supporters of Rochdale A.F.C. and as such, we as a Trust would like answers to the following questions:

*Given that Allen Brett has previously been a director of Rochdale Hornets and has represented their interests on the Stadium Company, does he retain the impartiality required to be Chairman of the Stadium Company?

*Furthermore, is the “Brett Loan” that is featured in the latest set of accounts for Rochdale Hornets in any way related to Allen Brett and his previous time as a director? Does this bring up a conflict of interest?

* Given that Allen Brett’s previous spell in charge of the Stadium Company approximately ten years ago saw non payment of rent to the stadium company over at least a three year period ( http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/stadium-row-pits-club-a and Stadium Company debt reach record levels at the time, in what way does he remain a suitable candidate for the position?

* Again, we question his suitability for the role given he assumed the role of Chairman of the Stadium Company on 4th June, how could it be possible that over two months later, he is quoted as having no knowledge of RAFC’s bid for the stadium on Radio Manchester when there is evidence proving it had been on the Stadium Company agenda for a number of months previous to this? Surely at the very least, in becoming a director of the Stadium Company, there is a legal responsibility to do due diligence on that company?

*We are aware that some supporters have attempted to contact Allen Brett over these concerns. Why has there been no response to these emails give that he has been elected to represent the people?
Given that Rochdale Council retains a 9% stake in the stadium which carries a debt in excess of £600,000, in what way do the Council have plans to act upon behalf of its council tax payers to prevent the stadium entering administration as a result of this debt ?

* Given that Rochdale A.F.C is looking at a guaranteed long term lease for Rochdale Hornets. what other plans does Rochdale Council have to ensure the future of professional Rugby League within the town?

* In a town which continually attracts extremely negative media attention, why is the serving Council acting against the interests of one of the town’s biggest success stories in recent years?

We would like to invite all our members and Dale supporters to contact their local Councillors ( http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?VW=TABLE&PIC=1&FN ) and ask for their answers to the above questions.
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 14:05 - Aug 28 with 2271 viewsjudd

Could make an ideal Primark/PC World dual site, shutting robshaker up in the process.

I'd vote for that.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 14:06 - Aug 28 with 2271 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 12:52 - Aug 28 by ColDale

the difference is bringing the stadium under one ownership would allow it to be developed. It's been an almost impossible situation where all three parties are needed to agree to any changes - even if its giving a room a lick of paint. And let's face it, we're paying for any needed improvements as it is at this moment.

Hornets is better than no Hornets, and the whole thing would certainly be easier with their backing. Like I've repeatedly said, what would be the problem with a fair rent paying Hornets playing at a Stadium owned by Dale?

And to respond to devil's advocate, the role of the stadium is to provide sporting facilities.its primary aim should never be about bringing in money or jobs and it should never be to the detriment of the two sporting teams. Anything it can bring in should be seen as a bonus and to help with the running costs.

With the debt as it stands (and growing day by day), it needs someone to stand up and take responsibility for it. I'd assume that the RFL (or Hornets) have £300,000+ knocking around ready to stump up their share, and given the Council have been asked to knock £45,000,000 off their budget, can they justify shelling out £60-70,000 for their share of the debt?

It must be frustrating for the Dale to want to develop Spotland and not be able to but what would it be developed in to?

When Mr Hill says it's vital for the future of the Dale to own the whole of the stadium then I assume that he expects more money to come his way in player budgets and maybe better training facilities, but how? Surely not by giving Hornets a discount on their rent this could only eat into his already limited budgets?

What are the Dale going to do, build a bigger and better main stand and then do what with it? Are the Dale going host more events, football, rugby, pop concerts, car boot sales, conventions or what?

I like the idea of Spotland being used more, I just don't see how.

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 14:46 - Aug 28 with 2202 viewsdingdangblue

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 14:06 - Aug 28 by Vespa

It must be frustrating for the Dale to want to develop Spotland and not be able to but what would it be developed in to?

When Mr Hill says it's vital for the future of the Dale to own the whole of the stadium then I assume that he expects more money to come his way in player budgets and maybe better training facilities, but how? Surely not by giving Hornets a discount on their rent this could only eat into his already limited budgets?

What are the Dale going to do, build a bigger and better main stand and then do what with it? Are the Dale going host more events, football, rugby, pop concerts, car boot sales, conventions or what?

It would just make running the stadium an awful lot easier. Dale pay rent, Hornets pay rent - but this goes nowhere near covering the upkeep and running of the stadium. Who pays for covers, pitch repairs, floodlight bulbs, general maintenance? Not Dale/Rfl/council . Dale pay for everything - or if not , are expected to. The Stadium Company is a sham as far as I can see - it is just Dale who are lumbered with dealing with all stadium matters - making it 100% Dale's responsibility officially just makes sense.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 15:09 - Aug 28 with 2165 viewsjudd

Another rumour is that Link4Life have their eyes on it as a golf driving range after the failed attempt to convert the dog toilet that is Springfield Park.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 15:54 - Aug 28 with 2073 viewsTVOS1907

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 14:06 - Aug 28 by Vespa

I imagine he means we could stop putting money into servicing a debt.

And maybe build a geet big scoreboard.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 15:55 - Aug 28 with 2072 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 15:09 - Aug 28 by judd

Another rumour is that Link4Life have their eyes on it as a golf driving range after the failed attempt to convert the dog toilet that is Springfield Park.

Would a putting green not make more sense?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 16:05 - Aug 28 with 2052 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 15:54 - Aug 28 by TVOS1907

I imagine he means we could stop putting money into servicing a debt.

And maybe build a geet big scoreboard.

Flashing lights, animations and action replays? I like it.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 16:05 - Aug 28 with 2051 viewsjudd

There is the possibility of a cemetery overspill being catered for by land currently occupied by the stadium.

Login to get fewer ads

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 16:18 - Aug 28 with 2023 viewsVespa

Cemetery Inn expansion?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 16:24 - Aug 28 with 2009 viewsjudd

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 16:18 - Aug 28 by Vespa

Cemetery Inn expansion?

Hotel, not inn.

And no.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 16:25 - Aug 28 with 2005 viewsTVOS1907

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 16:05 - Aug 28 by Vespa

Flashing lights, animations and action replays? I like it.

Yeah, me too.

But we're keeping the keyboard.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 17:39 - Aug 28 with 1887 viewsrochdale1

What would happen if rochdale afc sold there shares and built a new purpose stadium somewhere like king sway ?

What would happen to Hornets then?
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 18:40 - Aug 28 with 1807 viewsYadHoDale

Doubt planning permission would be granted...

Probably better off moving to Whitworth to get a different Local Authority. Or Tod, to have the privilege of playing in God's Own County. ..
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 18:42 - Aug 28 with 1796 viewsirisaln

Would it not be better to let it go into admin. and then for the Dale to buy it back for a song?
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 19:51 - Aug 28 with 1716 viewsVespa

What if someone else bought it?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 19:56 - Aug 28 with 1706 viewsColDale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 19:51 - Aug 28 by Vespa

What if someone else bought it?

As far as I am aware, they can't.

What would be so wrong about Dale owning the stadium and charging Hornets a fair rent with a long term lease?

Is there a feeling amongst the Hornets support that they have a moral right to the RFL shares?
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 20:19 - Aug 28 with 1663 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 19:56 - Aug 28 by ColDale

As far as I am aware, they can't.

What would be so wrong about Dale owning the stadium and charging Hornets a fair rent with a long term lease?

Is there a feeling amongst the Hornets support that they have a moral right to the RFL shares?

From my perspective there would be nothing wrong about the Dale owning the stadium and charging Hornets a fair rent with a long term lease.

I was just pointing the flaw out in irisaln suggestion that the Dale should just let Denehurst park go bump and then buy the stadium from the receivers or administrators.

The receivers have a duty to either sell the company as a whole as a going concern or sell the companies assets, of which Spotland is one, for basically as much as they can get. The person or entity that paid the most would be new owner and that might not be the Dale. If Denehurst Park Ltd was broken up and the assets sold then there would effectively be no contract between the Dale and the new owner, for the Dale (or Hornets) to play there a rent would have to be agreed, any new owner may well have both clubs over a barrel.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 20:50 - Aug 28 with 1600 viewsColDale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 20:19 - Aug 28 by Vespa

From my perspective there would be nothing wrong about the Dale owning the stadium and charging Hornets a fair rent with a long term lease.

I was just pointing the flaw out in irisaln suggestion that the Dale should just let Denehurst park go bump and then buy the stadium from the receivers or administrators.

The receivers have a duty to either sell the company as a whole as a going concern or sell the companies assets, of which Spotland is one, for basically as much as they can get. The person or entity that paid the most would be new owner and that might not be the Dale. If Denehurst Park Ltd was broken up and the assets sold then there would effectively be no contract between the Dale and the new owner, for the Dale (or Hornets) to play there a rent would have to be agreed, any new owner may well have both clubs over a barrel.

Administration would be a gamble that no one can afford to take. Stockport County are on their arse because the Rugby bloke owned the stadium and could charge them whatever he wanted, and there's been too many other examples of clubs being ripped off by a 3rd party owning the ground. Even wholly owned by the RFL or the Council would put both parties at risk of being exploited.

Given Mayfield can't host professional RL, it's Spotland or nothing (acc to MW and I've no reason to disbelieve him). That should lend itself to Hornets being fully behind our bid given the assurances that are being made.
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 20:54 - Aug 28 with 1589 viewsbennersdale

If neither parties play ball, if I was Chris dunphy I'd start looking into moving and building a new stadium and start again away from the politics that hornets brought with them in 1988. It seems the current hornets lot arent interested in the very large growing debt attached to the stadium but still want to have a say in how the place is being run. It's a have your cake and eat it situation, I say call their bluff. The RFL and RMBC will shit themselves if Dale threatened to leave.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2014 22:25]

Hasta el valle abajo de la cerveza

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:19 - Aug 28 with 1547 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 20:50 - Aug 28 by ColDale

Administration would be a gamble that no one can afford to take. Stockport County are on their arse because the Rugby bloke owned the stadium and could charge them whatever he wanted, and there's been too many other examples of clubs being ripped off by a 3rd party owning the ground. Even wholly owned by the RFL or the Council would put both parties at risk of being exploited.

Given Mayfield can't host professional RL, it's Spotland or nothing (acc to MW and I've no reason to disbelieve him). That should lend itself to Hornets being fully behind our bid given the assurances that are being made.

The Rugby bloke must be a right b4stard.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:29 - Aug 28 with 1516 viewsColDale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:19 - Aug 28 by Vespa

The Rugby bloke must be a right b4stard.

It was that Brian Kennedy (couldn't remember his name before).
Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:48 - Aug 28 with 1470 viewsRAFCBLUE

To add to the administration equation, I believe that the Pearl St Stand is an owned asset of the football club and stated as such in relevant company accounts.

So an appointed administrator has the opportunity to sell, to the highest bidder, three sides of a ground and the land with it with the fourth side being owned by the football club. Good luck with that.

Reality needs to hit home. It's no longer 1988 and the football club are the only realistic future owner for the ground for the clubs in the town and the town just as a product of owning shares and stands already as a product of history.

I hope at the end of this saga the stadium company give Hornets a really long (99 years+), peppercorn rent lease for matchdays and that Hornets make so much money that their club is successful to the point that Spotland is used every week for sport and all the profits benefit the football club.

Anyone who suggest any other outcome is living in a world where debt and consequences don't apply. In a less honourable world, the football club would appoint the administrator for its shareholding and ask them to get the best deal for themselves.

That would disadvantage Hornets, RBC and the RFL as well as tenants Hornets. Common sense should prevail but seldom does.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:59 - Aug 28 with 1451 viewsVespa

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:29 - Aug 28 by ColDale

It was that Brian Kennedy (couldn't remember his name before).

Rugby Yawnion............ Different class.

Col..................The majority of Hornets fans that I've spoken to really don't give a sh1t who owns the stadium whether it's as it is now, or the Dale or the council or the RFL as long Hornets get to play there and that includes me. There are a few who see the Dales plans of owning the whole of Spotland as some sort of conspiracy by the Dale to either hoof Hornets out of Spotland or just charge Hornets the absolute maximum they can without actually sending them bump.
We made a small profit of £35K last set of accounts and it's not entirely out of the question that the rent could be hiked up to just take lot and prevent us from growing and becoming something better and bigger than we are at the moment. I don't for a moment believe that Mr Dunphy et al are that devious but the current Dale BOD wont be there forever and we're all sort of hoping that the life of the new Hornets will be longer than our own.

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 22:09 - Aug 28 with 1431 viewsMoonyDale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:59 - Aug 28 by Vespa

Rugby Yawnion............ Different class.

Col..................The majority of Hornets fans that I've spoken to really don't give a sh1t who owns the stadium whether it's as it is now, or the Dale or the council or the RFL as long Hornets get to play there and that includes me. There are a few who see the Dales plans of owning the whole of Spotland as some sort of conspiracy by the Dale to either hoof Hornets out of Spotland or just charge Hornets the absolute maximum they can without actually sending them bump.
We made a small profit of £35K last set of accounts and it's not entirely out of the question that the rent could be hiked up to just take lot and prevent us from growing and becoming something better and bigger than we are at the moment. I don't for a moment believe that Mr Dunphy et al are that devious but the current Dale BOD wont be there forever and we're all sort of hoping that the life of the new Hornets will be longer than our own.

"Dale board and devious" Surely you have mistakenly typed Dale rather than Hornets?

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 23:38 - Aug 28 with 1338 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Trust statement: Spotland Stadium on 21:30 - Aug 27 by D_Alien

I've proposed this in another thread, so welcome it.

A few bob less from Hornets as a sign of goodwill might go a long way in securing the stadium for the Dale, with the potential for income generation that could involve. Plus, a relatively small rent that gets paid is a damn sight more than a more onerous rent that doesn't.

........peppercorn,I think they call it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024