Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salford City FC 20:26 - Oct 1 with 2621 viewsBrighouseDale

Just read up on them after the Away Day Robot's escapades this week. Seems to me the class of '92 are having a go at real life Football Manager, are they really gonna stick it out for 15 years until they reach The Championship, or will they get bored after two or three years of anonymity?

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Salford City FC on 20:35 - Oct 1 with 2590 views442Dale

I can't see why they won't stay around. Phil Neville said on Football Focus that it gave them somewhere to meet up on a Tuesday night/Saturday and a side interest. Their involvement isn't taking over the running of the club, more that they'll help out if they can. Now there's a new money man involved too it wouldn't be a surprise to see them surpass FCUM's achievements on the pitch with little problem. Which would be amusing.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Salford City FC on 20:52 - Oct 1 with 2535 viewsBrighouseDale

I'd be interested to see if they do stick around. So many professional footballers end up going bankrupt within a couple of years after retirement, usually after taking advice from dodgy agents. If this project does go well it could set a precedent for more footballers to invest time and money in lower league clubs.

Salford City FC on 20:57 - Oct 1 with 2519 views442Dale

Salford City FC on 20:52 - Oct 1 by BrighouseDale

I'd be interested to see if they do stick around. So many professional footballers end up going bankrupt within a couple of years after retirement, usually after taking advice from dodgy agents. If this project does go well it could set a precedent for more footballers to invest time and money in lower league clubs.

The players involved don't strike me as the sort who would ever mess up their finances.

Doubt Phil Neville has ever spent more than £20 on a night out.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Salford City FC on 21:09 - Oct 1 with 2481 viewsnordenblue

Salford City FC on 20:52 - Oct 1 by BrighouseDale

You'd do well to blow their sort of wealth, they are well on their way to building a chain of successful hotels and restaurants, Giggs is throwing extensions on his Italian so hes doing something right there too.
Think i read somewhere the least wealthiest of the bunch was worth well over 20 million on his own
Salford City FC on 21:23 - Oct 1 with 2461 viewsBrighouseDale

Salford City FC on 21:09 - Oct 1 by nordenblue

You'd do well to blow their sort of wealth, they are well on their way to building a chain of successful hotels and restaurants, Giggs is throwing extensions on his Italian so hes doing something right there too.
Think i read somewhere the least wealthiest of the bunch was worth well over 20 million on his own

I do agree, I can't see any of the Man Utd legends going bankrupt any time soon. Having said that, there are hundreds if not thousands of professional players in the FL, and I know a lot of them do college courses and GNVQs now so they have something to fall back on when they retire, but there must be many who don't have the foggiest about their future career. There was a programme on telly a couple of years ago, think it might have been Dispatches, highlighting that many footballers end up going bankrupt within two to three years of retiring. Funnily enough a lot of them get divorced too.

If Salford do well under the stewardship of Scholes and co, it might be another option worth considering for players in their thirties who have a bit of cash to invest.

Salford City FC on 22:42 - Oct 1 with 2362 viewsnordenblue

Salford City FC on 21:23 - Oct 1 by BrighouseDale

I do agree, I can't see any of the Man Utd legends going bankrupt any time soon. Having said that, there are hundreds if not thousands of professional players in the FL, and I know a lot of them do college courses and GNVQs now so they have something to fall back on when they retire, but there must be many who don't have the foggiest about their future career. There was a programme on telly a couple of years ago, think it might have been Dispatches, highlighting that many footballers end up going bankrupt within two to three years of retiring. Funnily enough a lot of them get divorced too.

If Salford do well under the stewardship of Scholes and co, it might be another option worth considering for players in their thirties who have a bit of cash to invest.

Generally the ones that end up down that road won't have 2 brain cells to rub together and don't bother with the college education etc,and again normally carrying on living and spending like a footballer years after retiring leading to bankruptcy.
Salford City FC on 22:50 - Oct 1 with 2340 viewsD_Alien

Salford City FC on 22:42 - Oct 1 by nordenblue

Generally the ones that end up down that road won't have 2 brain cells to rub together and don't bother with the college education etc,and again normally carrying on living and spending like a footballer years after retiring leading to bankruptcy.

If the least wealthy has a fortune of £20m, investing just half that amount in the safest of places would give at the very minimum a monthly income of £15k.

You'd have to have two very special brain cells rubbing along together to fall from grace in those circumstances. But it does happen!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Salford City FC on 23:18 - Oct 1 with 2309 viewsBrighouseDale

Salford City FC on 22:50 - Oct 1 by D_Alien

If the least wealthy has a fortune of £20m, investing just half that amount in the safest of places would give at the very minimum a monthly income of £15k.

You'd have to have two very special brain cells rubbing along together to fall from grace in those circumstances. But it does happen!

I know some people will take issue with generalisations. But generalisations are generally correct. Let's be honest, the average professional footballer will probably be educated to GCSE standard, and probably from a working class background.

I'm not saying that all working class folk with GCSEs are thick, but footballers have presumably spent most of their lives out on the park, and therefore know little else. But if they can utilise their knowledge in football post retirement, instead of investing in property or being taken for a ride by dodgy consultants, that can only be a good thing.

As part of my job I advise people on debt, and I regularly speak to millionaires who have fallen from grace. Whether you're a business tycoon in Chelsea, or claiming income support in Falinge, it only takes one thing to go wrong to throw a spanner in the works.

Login to get fewer ads

Salford City FC on 09:10 - Oct 2 with 2170 viewsfermin

Salford City FC on 20:35 - Oct 1 by 442Dale

I can't see why they won't stay around. Phil Neville said on Football Focus that it gave them somewhere to meet up on a Tuesday night/Saturday and a side interest. Their involvement isn't taking over the running of the club, more that they'll help out if they can. Now there's a new money man involved too it wouldn't be a surprise to see them surpass FCUM's achievements on the pitch with little problem. Which would be amusing.

Well, Salford City have five(?) wealthy owners including one billionaire who can chuck money at the club if they want, whereas FCUM are a bunch of ordinary fans who have to raise money from their own resources to fund their team, their community projects and build their ground. It would therefore be zero surprise if Salford surpassed FCUM on the pitch just as Wigan have surpassed us, because contrary to popular belief success on the pitch is not the be-all and end-all for FCUM - I am not saying they do not want their team to win games and get promotion but just as important, if not more important, is involvement with the local community, providing affordable football for ordinary people and living within their own means:

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/community.php
http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/m_manifesto.php

Championship football within 15 years is not on FCUM's agenda at all as this would not be sustainable on the resources they have. Salford's owners cite Fleetwood as a model. I get the impression from here that being overly reliant on wealthy owners to fund your dream is not what we are about (though no doubt some disagree).
Salford City FC on 10:15 - Oct 2 with 2128 viewsdingdangblue

Salford City FC on 21:23 - Oct 1 by BrighouseDale

Im sure I read somewhere that Scholes owns a lot of houses in Oldham area and makes a lot of money from them renting.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:30 - Oct 2 with 2113 viewsnordenblue

Salford City FC on 09:10 - Oct 2 by fermin

Well, Salford City have five(?) wealthy owners including one billionaire who can chuck money at the club if they want, whereas FCUM are a bunch of ordinary fans who have to raise money from their own resources to fund their team, their community projects and build their ground. It would therefore be zero surprise if Salford surpassed FCUM on the pitch just as Wigan have surpassed us, because contrary to popular belief success on the pitch is not the be-all and end-all for FCUM - I am not saying they do not want their team to win games and get promotion but just as important, if not more important, is involvement with the local community, providing affordable football for ordinary people and living within their own means:

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/community.php
http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/m_manifesto.php

Championship football within 15 years is not on FCUM's agenda at all as this would not be sustainable on the resources they have. Salford's owners cite Fleetwood as a model. I get the impression from here that being overly reliant on wealthy owners to fund your dream is not what we are about (though no doubt some disagree).

Salford City FC on 12:48 - Oct 2 with 2045 viewsBrighouseDale

Salford City FC on 10:15 - Oct 2 by dingdangblue

Im sure I read somewhere that Scholes owns a lot of houses in Oldham area and makes a lot of money from them renting.

I also think Robbie Fowler is one of the biggest landlords in Liverpool.

Salford City FC on 12:52 - Oct 2 with 2041 viewsParkinsGimp

Shame the class of 92 are all a bunch of W!nkers LOL
What is it with Salford that attracts people wanting to invest and make the teams big...look at the loon at Salford rugby?
Salford City FC on 22:06 - Oct 2 with 1850 viewsnordenblue

Salford City FC on 12:52 - Oct 2 by ParkinsGimp

Shame the class of 92 are all a bunch of W!nkers LOL
What is it with Salford that attracts people wanting to invest and make the teams big...look at the loon at Salford rugby?

Its a City surrounded by a massive catchment area
Salford City FC on 22:09 - Oct 2 with 1845 viewstazzydjr

I still think Salford City will be in the Football League by 2018-2019 Season in 4 Years time

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Salford City FC on 23:14 - Oct 2 with 1792 viewsbig_dave2010

People said the same thing about FC United a couple of years ago
Salford City FC on 23:51 - Oct 2 with 1757 viewsjoecooke

Salford City FC on 23:14 - Oct 2 by big_dave2010

People said the same thing about FC United a couple of years ago

FC united didn't have this fella http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lim
with a 50% share

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024