Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Those fans who are complaining 23:04 - Feb 2 with 6851 viewsdalefan

I am not happy but.....
Some people complain EVERY time we sell a player
If we hadn't sold hogan I doubt done would have played up front
If we kept dagnall and Alfie And Buckley would we have ever signed hogan
If we didn't sell holt and lambert we wouldn't have signed Murray
If we didn't sell Murray would we have ever signed O'Grady
We do sell players not always through our choice but it gives others a chance
[Post edited 2 Feb 2015 23:12]
Those fans who are complaining on 13:08 - Feb 3 with 1763 viewsAtThePeake

Those fans who are complaining on 11:58 - Feb 3 by 49thseason

Over the last 7-8 months the club has benefited from two outstanding player sales, a youth team player sale, cash from the Lambert to Liverpool deal and a 4th round cup run. Probably £1.5m - £1.8m of income over and above TV money and income from attendances. Well done KH .

We are now in a position to buy our own ground and perhaps start to develop a training ground which will help to cement the future of the club in the long term.

A clear message has been sent out to young players and their parents : "come to Rochdale and you will get opportunities and when the time is right a move to a bigger club"

A clear message has also been sent to "broken toys" and their agents : "come to Rochdale and we might be able to fix you and re-start your career and when the time is right move you to a bigger club"

As supporters we become attached to the heroes of the day but the cold hard fact is that selling players is what we do. The quality of what we have to sell depends on the size of the funnel down which they progress. I simple terms the more players we sell, the more we can afford to take on youth players and broken toys, the more of them we develop or fix, the better we can make the facilities. This is known as organic growth, it is sustainable, profitable and means that when the shit hits the fan there is also money in the bank to help with the re-decoration.

Owning our own stadium also means that we have an asset that we can borrow against should an opportunity present itself which adds other dimensions to the direction in which the club can develop eg. building conference facilities at the club or refurbishing the boxes in the main stand.

Or we could spend it all on salaries and transfer fees and maybe have nothing to show for it. I know which option I prefer.

The top bit of your post is exactly why we shouldn't have sold.

For me this transfer is completely different to Lambert, Holt, Buckley, Murray etc.

In those seasons we were in need of the cash. This season we are genuinely on the verge of getting in the League One play-offs, a position we've never been in before. We've earnt, as you say £1.5-£1.8m of additional income over the last 7-8 months and so we

The clubs who have gone sliding back down the leagues were spending out of their means. That's not what we are doing. We are selling our best players when we don't need to sell them to direct competitors. Stockport didn't sell their players and the consequences were brutal - but we have already sold Hogan for 750k, plus the FA Cup run money, Lambert sell-on money etc etc. We can't sell EVERY single time just because Stockport never sold and they ended up sliding down the leagues.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 13:37]

Tangled up in blue.

Those fans who are complaining on 13:10 - Feb 3 with 1756 viewsnordenblue

Those fans who are complaining on 12:48 - Feb 3 by KenBoon

This is the bogeyman post.
Don't sell and end up like Stockport. Spend money and be a (potential) Bury. There is no inbetween. If you cross the road then you'll either be run over by a bus or fall down a manhole.

What happened with Le Fondre et. al. has nothing to do with the selling of Done. We don't have a huge tax bill to pay. He had 18 months left on his contract. We don't spend money (we cannot afford). We have cash in the bank. We are in a great position and you can be almost sure this transfer fee will be lower than it should be. This is one transfer where add-ons are a real danger because there's no guarantee he'll be a success there. Dawson, Buckley, Lambert were always going to further their careers. I'm not convinced that Done has moved to the best club for that. Done didn't need to be sold. If his season had continued he'd be worth more in the Summer, and had his leg fallen off in the meanwhile then that is life.

Very good post KB, its not the selling of players that annoys people its more the timing, whatever the price is(within reason) it surely isn't worth knackering up the chance to get in the play offs surely?
Those fans who are complaining on 13:24 - Feb 3 with 1692 viewsCreepy

Also from Matty Done's perspective, if he goes from say £1500 a week to £4500 a week, thats an extra £220,000 net over the term of his new contract. Nobody knows the wages involved but last year he was a makeshift left back in league 2 who played 25 of the 46 games. The transfer fee we've got is based purely on half a season of top form in a system that suits his game. He'd be mad to turn that sort of move down, it could all go wrong very badly with an injury/loss of form. All transfers of your best players are disappointing, but I think there's much more to every transfer than should we have/not sold him.
Those fans who are complaining on 13:27 - Feb 3 with 1681 viewsdebbiesfella

When it comes down to it according to KH Done wanted to go and he also says it's a good deal for the club, that will do for me.
Those fans who are complaining on 13:31 - Feb 3 with 1656 viewsColDale

I always ask myself the same question when we sell a player these days.

If we could buy them back for the same price, would we do so? Hypothetical I know, but would we pay £750,000ish for Matty Done if he suddenly became available again?

I reckon 95% of us would baulk at the thought of Hill spending £500,000 to £1,000,000 on one player and would reckon that money would be better spent put in the pot and spread over two or three other players.

If I didn't trust Hilly so implicitly, then it might have been different if I felt we had a manager who would waste the money. But his track record is so good as managing and updating the squad. Like said last night, its the sales of Hogan that allowed the signings of Dawson and Logan.
Those fans who are complaining on 13:36 - Feb 3 with 1637 views49thseason

Those fans who are complaining on 13:08 - Feb 3 by AtThePeake

The top bit of your post is exactly why we shouldn't have sold.

For me this transfer is completely different to Lambert, Holt, Buckley, Murray etc.

In those seasons we were in need of the cash. This season we are genuinely on the verge of getting in the League One play-offs, a position we've never been in before. We've earnt, as you say £1.5-£1.8m of additional income over the last 7-8 months and so we

The clubs who have gone sliding back down the leagues were spending out of their means. That's not what we are doing. We are selling our best players when we don't need to sell them to direct competitors. Stockport didn't sell their players and the consequences were brutal - but we have already sold Hogan for 750k, plus the FA Cup run money, Lambert sell-on money etc etc. We can't sell EVERY single time just because Stockport never sold and they ended up sliding down the leagues.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 13:37]

We will always need cash

The one thing this club has never had is cash and at the end of the day its cash that makes the difference, with it all things are possible, without it you are stuck with the crumbs from someone else's table. We have had too many crumbs over the last 100 years its time to build proper foundations and eat steak.

Surely the acid test of this particular deal is whether or not any of our other forwards step up to the plate and carry on from where Done left off? Who knows, Brandy or Lazarus might do even better.
And what's to say Done might not have got badly injured in training today? A bird in the hand and all that.

The great news for me is that we kept hold of the likes of Allen, Camps and Tanser, they are the basis of the club over the next 5 years and will all be sold eventually but for even bigger amounts than Done and they will be replaced by even better players from our thriving academy.
Those fans who are complaining on 13:41 - Feb 3 with 1623 viewsdingdangblue

Those fans who are complaining on 12:48 - Feb 3 by KenBoon

This is the bogeyman post.
Don't sell and end up like Stockport. Spend money and be a (potential) Bury. There is no inbetween. If you cross the road then you'll either be run over by a bus or fall down a manhole.

What happened with Le Fondre et. al. has nothing to do with the selling of Done. We don't have a huge tax bill to pay. He had 18 months left on his contract. We don't spend money (we cannot afford). We have cash in the bank. We are in a great position and you can be almost sure this transfer fee will be lower than it should be. This is one transfer where add-ons are a real danger because there's no guarantee he'll be a success there. Dawson, Buckley, Lambert were always going to further their careers. I'm not convinced that Done has moved to the best club for that. Done didn't need to be sold. If his season had continued he'd be worth more in the Summer, and had his leg fallen off in the meanwhile then that is life.

Done's current goalscoring form is 2 league goals since Preston game on Nov 1st.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024