Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query 21:47 - Apr 16 with 1682 viewsmikehunt

Hello TVOS sir. I wondered if you saw my previous query in the earlier Lancs Cup thread. If not here it is again. Do your records stretch to the minor competitions?

We were stuffed 7 - 0 by Manure in Lancs Senior Cup donkeys' years ago. In the days of Charlton, Law etc.(Not saying they played like) think Reg Jenkins turned out for us though. Remember it being quite embarrassing as it was like our first team being hammered by their reserves.
Anyone any details of this? Teams, scorers etc.

Thanks in advance

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 21:54 - Apr 16 with 1667 viewsTVOS1907

Hi Mike

I personally haven't got any records for competitions of that nature, but in Steven Phillipps' history book, the game is listed as taking place on Monday 15th January 1968.

The text says it was United reserves and Graham Smith gave away a penalty for a foul on Alan Gowling (who scored a hat-trick) after 15 SECONDS.

The attendance (at Old Trafford?) was 5267 and the Dale team was:

Green, Eastham, Calloway, Smith, Jenkins, Dow, Daubney, Melledew, Fletcher, Hutchinson, Russell

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 23:03 - Apr 16 with 1567 viewsD_Alien

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 21:54 - Apr 16 by TVOS1907

Hi Mike

I personally haven't got any records for competitions of that nature, but in Steven Phillipps' history book, the game is listed as taking place on Monday 15th January 1968.

The text says it was United reserves and Graham Smith gave away a penalty for a foul on Alan Gowling (who scored a hat-trick) after 15 SECONDS.

The attendance (at Old Trafford?) was 5267 and the Dale team was:

Green, Eastham, Calloway, Smith, Jenkins, Dow, Daubney, Melledew, Fletcher, Hutchinson, Russell

Must've been one of those games where Reg Jenkins was tried at centre-half. No wonder we got turned over! Some other evocative names, like Les Green, the 5' 8" keeper who was signed by Brian Clough and helped Derby win promotion to Div 1 (top division); and a raft of very very average players like Dow, Daubney, Hutchinson, Russell.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 23:21 - Apr 16 with 1534 viewsSuddenLad

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 23:03 - Apr 16 by D_Alien

Must've been one of those games where Reg Jenkins was tried at centre-half. No wonder we got turned over! Some other evocative names, like Les Green, the 5' 8" keeper who was signed by Brian Clough and helped Derby win promotion to Div 1 (top division); and a raft of very very average players like Dow, Daubney, Hutchinson, Russell.

Barry Hutchinson was well past his best when he turned up at Spotland but he had been a good player for Derby County and Chesterfield previously.

Les Green was a cracking keeper, despite being only small in stature. He had a good career after he left Dale.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 15:37 - Apr 17 with 1407 viewspioneer

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 23:03 - Apr 16 by D_Alien

Yes that was the season they played Reg at the back as an experiment. You couldnt judge whether it worked or not given the players he had around him.

If my memory serves me right this was actually a replay - the teams had drawn 1-1 at Spotland in early December I think. Shortly after that game I think Bob Stokoe joined as manager in a last ditch effort to avoid re-election and he started to piece together the promotion team. Probably the most important change ever made by the team. Without Stokoe we probably would have had to apply for reelection (for the third year running) and been booted out.

Only Fletcher, Melledew and Smith survived from this team with Reg into the following season.

That was a hard season to watch.... no sign of what was to come 'next year'. New team, new colours and for the first time in our history promotion.

And to think, it all started with a 7-0 hiding by ManUre's stiffs!
FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 16:35 - Apr 17 with 1359 viewsSuddenLad

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 15:37 - Apr 17 by pioneer

Yes that was the season they played Reg at the back as an experiment. You couldnt judge whether it worked or not given the players he had around him.

If my memory serves me right this was actually a replay - the teams had drawn 1-1 at Spotland in early December I think. Shortly after that game I think Bob Stokoe joined as manager in a last ditch effort to avoid re-election and he started to piece together the promotion team. Probably the most important change ever made by the team. Without Stokoe we probably would have had to apply for reelection (for the third year running) and been booted out.

Only Fletcher, Melledew and Smith survived from this team with Reg into the following season.

That was a hard season to watch.... no sign of what was to come 'next year'. New team, new colours and for the first time in our history promotion.

And to think, it all started with a 7-0 hiding by ManUre's stiffs!

Still bettter to watch and easier on the eye than anything served up under the Barrow era.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 22:46 - Apr 17 with 1259 viewsmikehunt

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think we won the Lancs Senior Cup either the next season or the season after - beating Oldham at Spotland in extra time. I remember a Jenkins goal that hit two Latics players on the way in and they both needed treatment. That guy could kick a ball.

By the way TVOS what book are you referring to? Is Stephen Phillips' book still available?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 22:53 - Apr 17 with 1247 viewsD_Alien

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 22:46 - Apr 17 by mikehunt

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I think we won the Lancs Senior Cup either the next season or the season after - beating Oldham at Spotland in extra time. I remember a Jenkins goal that hit two Latics players on the way in and they both needed treatment. That guy could kick a ball.

By the way TVOS what book are you referring to? Is Stephen Phillips' book still available?

In addition, Reg ( for the one and only time I can remember) beat the fullback on the right wing and put in a cross which Dave Cross converted at the far post in the Sandy Lane End. A warm, sunlit evening in May against Latics feat. the infamous Andy (B)Lockhead

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 00:12 - Apr 18 with 1214 viewsTVOS1907

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 22:46 - Apr 17 by mikehunt

It's his Dale History book, published in 2001.

I'm not sure if it's still available, to be honest. Googling it doesn't help much, either.

Sorry!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 01:03 - Apr 18 with 1190 viewsDiddyDave

I can vaguely recall that thrashing, not that it was all that surprising as Uniteds team comprised some top reserves and top youth players who`d helped to win the Youth Cup several times in the 60s. I do recall that Dale were heavily criticised by the manager at the time for a shambolic performance and it virtually ended a couple of players time at Spotland.
FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 11:27 - Apr 18 with 1130 viewspioneer

FAO TVOS Lancs Cup Query on 22:53 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

In addition, Reg ( for the one and only time I can remember) beat the fullback on the right wing and put in a cross which Dave Cross converted at the far post in the Sandy Lane End. A warm, sunlit evening in May against Latics feat. the infamous Andy (B)Lockhead

the lancs cup final was at the end of the 70-71 season. There was no extra time needed.

This was our greatest cup season in our history. We drew at Division 1 Cripple Palace 3-3 with Reg scoring losing the replay at home in the league cup and then reached the FA Cup 4th round (last 32) forthe first time since 1914 by beating first division Coventry and topped it off with winning the Lancs Cup for only the second time in our history (previously beat Blacpool just after WW2)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024