Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When will this stop? 16:20 - Jul 24 with 27861 viewsisitme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33656802
When will this stop? on 02:29 - Aug 6 with 1707 viewsNigeriamark

When will this stop? on 16:43 - Aug 5 by isitme

That is what will make it a white elephant. There is nothing to draw people into the town centre. There are no nice bars (apart from the Baum), cafes, posh bakeries etc. There are people with money living in Rochdale, they are forced though to go to places such as Bury and Manchester.

It's a bit " chicken and egg" . It's currently not great but my point is more on the future. If the town invest on making it more attractive as a place to spend money and time, then you hope private money will follow - better bars, eateries etc

I bit of a leap of faith and luck may be required but what else can you do to attract more? 3 years ago we had a horrendous black box in the centre, there are boarded up shops, litter all over the place. Things are moving and with a project like this you either do it properly or don't do it at all ( then don't complain if nothing changes). I confess that when I saw the amount of money being spent on the centre development ( and how it is justified v spending on other things) I was taken aback, but the decision has been made now. As a potential returnee to Rochdale I hope it works
When will this stop? on 07:45 - Aug 6 with 1670 viewsTalkingSutty

When will this stop? on 02:29 - Aug 6 by Nigeriamark

It's a bit " chicken and egg" . It's currently not great but my point is more on the future. If the town invest on making it more attractive as a place to spend money and time, then you hope private money will follow - better bars, eateries etc

I bit of a leap of faith and luck may be required but what else can you do to attract more? 3 years ago we had a horrendous black box in the centre, there are boarded up shops, litter all over the place. Things are moving and with a project like this you either do it properly or don't do it at all ( then don't complain if nothing changes). I confess that when I saw the amount of money being spent on the centre development ( and how it is justified v spending on other things) I was taken aback, but the decision has been made now. As a potential returnee to Rochdale I hope it works

What is there to attract decent families into Rochdale Town Centre? Nothing is the answer. There isn't one single attraction.

There is a way forward but it costs money obviously. Build a new, modern theatre, a multiplex Cinema, Ten Pin bowling alley, Climbing wall etc. This in turn attracts families and also retail and food outlets. Salford Quays is a perfect example and we already have the new tram system in place.

It would mean knocking down the Regal Moon, The Walk and all along past Barclays Bank and building right back towards St Mary's Gate and the Town Centre, but it would then give families a reason to come into the Town Centre. Spending money not only during the day but also during the evening.

The area around the river could host a market a few times a week similar to our neighbours down the road.

The whole lot needs bulldozing and making into a massive leisure and retail complex.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2015 7:51]
When will this stop? on 08:42 - Aug 6 with 1625 viewsmingthemerciless

The section of the population that actually have a reasonable amount of disposable income no longer shop in Rochdale. A mate of mine who lives in Shawclough hasn't visited the town centre for about 5 years. He just goes to Manchester.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of shops worth visiting in Rochdale centre these days. There's a very large minority of inhabitants who are dirt poor so they can't afford to shop anywhere other than pound shops. The better class of shops won't come to town until the percentage of people with a decent level of disposable income rises substantially.

It's all a bit Catch 22.
When will this stop? on 09:24 - Aug 6 with 1606 viewsDaleiLama

When will this stop? on 08:42 - Aug 6 by mingthemerciless

The section of the population that actually have a reasonable amount of disposable income no longer shop in Rochdale. A mate of mine who lives in Shawclough hasn't visited the town centre for about 5 years. He just goes to Manchester.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of shops worth visiting in Rochdale centre these days. There's a very large minority of inhabitants who are dirt poor so they can't afford to shop anywhere other than pound shops. The better class of shops won't come to town until the percentage of people with a decent level of disposable income rises substantially.

It's all a bit Catch 22.

Clearly the Salford Quays development is in a different universe in terms of location, investment, what was available to work with etc etc and the two projects are incomparable in almost every respect, but these things start with a vision and commitment.

I hope, like RAFC, that getting the initial traction leads to a momentum that keeps on building. Thus progress is made.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

When will this stop? on 11:32 - Aug 6 with 1564 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 08:42 - Aug 6 by mingthemerciless

It's all a bit Catch 22.

And those are the same reasons why the Dale struggle to get decent crowds. The way forward for the town that will help all leisure type business to thrive is for an high wage/high skilled economy so that people have disposable incomes to spend at leisure and sports facilities.

But this needs investment, and quite frankly the business communities and governments have not put money in to the required levels. Of course it doesn't help when central government starve the local economy of needed funds.

The plans for the town centre development do include a Multiplex picture place. Personally I have advocate of the opening up of the river, and using it as an area for cafes etc. Also the council have plans to redevelop the Town Hall inside to finally include a town centre theatre. WE will have to see if any of this works, but at least the powers that be are giving it a go.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024