Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories 16:52 - Aug 28 with 19356 viewsfitzochris

Rochdale AFC is currently riding on the crest of a wave as far as the club’s modest history goes.

The club had previously occupied the fourth tier of English football for so long that the division became unofficially named after it.

Incumbent manager Keith Hill, unarguably the best to ever hold the post, has taken an unfashionable, penurious club and made it known for flowing football and over achievement. The club accomplished, in 2015, its highest ever league finish − eighth in League One. Halcyon days indeed.

But what about those other Rochdale bosses? Those who, as the game began to radically remodel itself in the mid ’90s, sought to rid the club of its tiresome fourth-tier anchor? Or those who, more recently, tried to keep the club at the next level?

The Rochdale Division contains the accounts of the managers who, at differing points over the past twenty years, looked to make their own mark at the club, each under a divergent set of circumstances. Here, they provide a unique insight into the struggles and joys of managing a traditionally unfashionable club in the modern football age.

It features interviews with Graham Barrow, Paul Simpson, Steve Parkin, Steve Eyre and John Coleman, as well as the thoughts of current chairman Chris Dunphy, club-record signing Paul Connor and former captain Gareth Griffiths.

Author Chris Fitzgerald was born in Manchester and raised in Rochdale. A fully trained and qualified journalist, he now lives in Glasgow where he has been nominated for such accolades as Sports News Writer of the Year at the Scottish Press Awards.

http://amzn.to/1LGCths

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 17:01 - Aug 28 with 16777 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I've got to get the word "penurious" into a conversation sometime over this Bank Holiday weekend.........love it Fitz.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 18:16 - Aug 28 with 16573 viewsD_Alien

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 17:01 - Aug 28 by Yorkshire_Dale

I've got to get the word "penurious" into a conversation sometime over this Bank Holiday weekend.........love it Fitz.

You could shout it out to one of our players if they're dawdling instead of running into space to receive a pass

"Penurious back, lad!"

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 20:29 - Aug 28 with 16350 viewsKenBoon

I've just bought it. I'll give it a read over the weekend and probably 1 star it on Amazon for running out of Mushy Peas half way through.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 22:08 - Aug 28 with 16147 viewsColDale

Bought this earlier. Fantastic read and well worth the £3.50. Gives a genuine and honest look back various manager's times with Dale and where it all went wrong.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 22:13 - Aug 28 with 16126 viewsfitzochris

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 22:08 - Aug 28 by ColDale

Bought this earlier. Fantastic read and well worth the £3.50. Gives a genuine and honest look back various manager's times with Dale and where it all went wrong.

Thanks Col. I owe it to the openness of the interviewees and I include Mr Dunphy in that, too.

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 23:23 - Aug 28 with 16045 viewslove_the_dale

I have just purchased your book, and if the introduction is anything to go by, I am in for a reet good read.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 00:36 - Aug 29 with 15961 viewsDiddyDave

Go on,I`ll take the bait;why only the last twenty years? In my opinion,for what it`s worth,the best manager Dale`s ever had in my life time was Bob Stokoe,but of course most Dale fans wouldn`t have been born when he briefly managed Dale in the late sixties. Still,I`m sure this book will be a good read,so well done to the gentleman for going to the trouble to interview the managers pre KH,I`m sure there`ll be some interesting comments.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 07:41 - Aug 29 with 15857 viewsThe_Knightowl

A darn good read ..............thank you
Login to get fewer ads

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 07:45 - Aug 29 with 15852 viewsmodelboydave

Just bought the book. My weekend read, looking forward to reading it. There is however a mistake in the introduction..... Says we have been in the Rochdale division since 1969...it's 74 I think.

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 08:01 - Aug 29 with 15827 viewsfitzochris

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 07:45 - Aug 29 by modelboydave

Just bought the book. My weekend read, looking forward to reading it. There is however a mistake in the introduction..... Says we have been in the Rochdale division since 1969...it's 74 I think.

That's true. It should say 'not promoted from the Rochdale Division since 1969 until, the date in question...'

EDIT: just checked. I edited that bit into brackets and, in doing so, have made it incorrect. I can fix this thankfully.

As an aside, I did have this proofread and I did my utmost to ensure facts and figures were correct but, if anyone does see anything that might be incorrect, PM me and I'll look into it.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2015 8:08]

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 11:37 - Aug 29 with 15631 viewsRochblue

Bought it this morning and read a good chunk already, great read! Find it all the more relative too, since Barrow was in charge when I first stepped foot in Spotland as a child.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 12:05 - Aug 29 with 15585 viewsTVOS1907

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 11:37 - Aug 29 by Rochblue

Bought it this morning and read a good chunk already, great read! Find it all the more relative too, since Barrow was in charge when I first stepped foot in Spotland as a child.

You did well to keep coming back then!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 13:42 - Aug 29 with 15472 viewsVespa

Can you get it on a torrent?

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 13:47 - Aug 29 with 15461 viewsGlenn

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 13:42 - Aug 29 by Vespa

Typical Hornets, never want to pay for anything.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 13:52 - Aug 29 with 15445 viewsfitzochris

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 13:42 - Aug 29 by Vespa

It's £3.50. Cheaper than a pint in most places.

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 14:06 - Aug 29 with 15435 viewsVespa

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 13:47 - Aug 29 by Glenn

Typical Hornets, never want to pay for anything.

LOL

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 14:08 - Aug 29 with 15432 viewsVespa

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 13:52 - Aug 29 by fitzochris

It's £3.50. Cheaper than a pint in most places.

I know. Just toying with you.

Downloaded, on my Kindle ready for the tram on Tuesday morning.

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 15:59 - Aug 29 with 15348 viewsSalwaDale

Will download shortly and I look forward to reading it. I too would like you to go a bit further back.

TBBT

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 18:35 - Aug 29 with 15201 viewsKenBoon

I read it. It's a good read. A little short for £3.50 but clearly a lot of effort went into it.

I'm glad Steve Eyre put to bed those ludicrous suggestions that he only coached Manc City's Under-12s. Coleman was very open too, especially about the divisions in the squad and what Hilly would call a 'terrorist'.

I gave it 5 stars and recommend it to anyone.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 19:01 - Aug 29 with 15131 viewsirisaln

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 00:36 - Aug 29 by DiddyDave

Go on,I`ll take the bait;why only the last twenty years? In my opinion,for what it`s worth,the best manager Dale`s ever had in my life time was Bob Stokoe,but of course most Dale fans wouldn`t have been born when he briefly managed Dale in the late sixties. Still,I`m sure this book will be a good read,so well done to the gentleman for going to the trouble to interview the managers pre KH,I`m sure there`ll be some interesting comments.

Bob Stokoe built the team that was promoted the following season so on that count I
agree with you.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 20:03 - Aug 29 with 15052 views442Dale

Great read. Some really enlightening bits in it too; little things like Paul Connor saying it's the most enjoyable club he's played for.

Highly recommended, buy it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 20:43 - Aug 29 with 14991 viewsTalkingSutty

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 22:13 - Aug 28 by fitzochris

Thanks Col. I owe it to the openness of the interviewees and I include Mr Dunphy in that, too.

Nothing but very good feedback, well done.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 00:15 - Aug 30 with 14825 viewsbocadave

Is it available in the club shop.
The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 01:27 - Aug 30 with 14787 viewsTVOS1907

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 00:15 - Aug 30 by bocadave

Is it available in the club shop.

It's a Kindle book.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Rochdale Division: The Managers' Stories on 09:56 - Aug 31 with 14305 viewsfitzochris

Thanks to everyone who has purchased the book so far (and for the feedback).

Thanks to you all, the book has now cracked the top 10 best-selling football books on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Books-Football/zgbs/books/279396

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024