Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best start to a season under Hill 12:46 - Aug 30 with 5786 views442Dale

Points after 5 games:

07/08: 5
08/09: 5
09/10: 7
10/11: 8
13/14: 5
14/15: 4
15/16: 10

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:48 - Aug 30 with 3936 viewstazzydjr

i can see Rochdale easily in the play off spots even if big clubs come in for multi-million pound plus add-on's homegrown talent

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Best start to a season under Hill on 13:22 - Aug 30 with 3851 viewsdingdangblue

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:48 - Aug 30 by tazzydjr

i can see Rochdale easily in the play off spots even if big clubs come in for multi-million pound plus add-on's homegrown talent

No chance - play offs depend on keeping this squad fit and repelling offers before Tuesday and January. Losing Allen or Hendo although not catastrophic would weaken us severely. Teams aiming for promotion/play offs dont sell their best players mid season.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Best start to a season under Hill on 13:24 - Aug 30 with 3722 viewstazzydjr

Best start to a season under Hill on 13:22 - Aug 30 by dingdangblue

No chance - play offs depend on keeping this squad fit and repelling offers before Tuesday and January. Losing Allen or Hendo although not catastrophic would weaken us severely. Teams aiming for promotion/play offs dont sell their best players mid season.

heard that youth team tonked buckets yesterday

Real Views From A Real Football Fan...http://rochdaleawaydayreview.wordpress.com
Poll: Who's Rochdale's Best Centre Midfielder?

Best start to a season under Hill on 13:54 - Aug 30 with 3662 viewsseasidedale

Keith said in his interview that non one was leaving this window, virtually gaurenteed, mind depends if we get a fantastic bid, me I would risk it by if someone wanted Allen for example demand a straight fee ie 1.5 million , only clause being a sell on, we have the safety net of him going to tribunal if he leaves when his contracts up, worth the risk i think
Best start to a season under Hill on 14:18 - Aug 30 with 3596 viewsrobbowood

is it because we had no loan players in the team in the first five games compared to previous seasons?

interesting point on the Barnsley forum

We were poor and Rochdale played well, fully deserving of their victory. In all honesty it could have been more. But this isn't about yesterday's result. Even the best teams of our past, the ones we all still rave about that included Redfearn or Glavin used to lose games, sometimes heavily and sometimes getting completely outclassed. This is more about the state of the two clubs.

Last season our average attendance was 9,768. I read reports from the meeting this week that in addition to gate receipts, sponsorship is up considerably, while the owner also puts in £1-2 million every year. Rochdale had an average attendance of 3,309. I don't believe they have a rich benefactor (although I don't know for sure) and it stands to reason that advertising to 10,000 people should bring in more revenue than advertising to 3,000. Rochdale fielded a starting 11 and brought on 2 subs, all of whom belong to Rochdale. Not a single loan player in their team. They were superior to us in every department from the minute they scored the first goal. We started with 4 loan players and brought on another as a sub. We had yet another in the stands. If Rochdale can build a team on gates of 3,000 (which on yesterday's evidence is much better than ours), why can't we on attendances three times that? Why are we having to field a team made up of youth loans? What are Rochdale doing on their meagre budget that we can't on what we're often told is one of the highest in the division?

Keith Hill may well be a better manager at this level which would account for the fact that they were the better team yesterday, but it doesn't account for the fact that they can afford a squad of their own players while we, with vastly superior finances, seemingly can't.
Best start to a season under Hill on 14:32 - Aug 30 with 3531 viewsmacro

I think it’s more a case of Hill believing in the players he has at the club and Johnson not believing in his and thinking loanees are the answer
Best start to a season under Hill on 14:36 - Aug 30 with 3500 viewsisitme

Best start to a season under Hill on 14:32 - Aug 30 by macro

I think it’s more a case of Hill believing in the players he has at the club and Johnson not believing in his and thinking loanees are the answer

Value for money and probably a smaller squad also come into play. I also think the fact that we let out players go when we get a decent offer helps us attract players on lower wages.
Best start to a season under Hill on 14:58 - Aug 30 with 3436 viewsCamdenDale

Barnsley forum post nails it. Team not about putting jigsaw pieces together.
Login to get fewer ads

Best start to a season under Hill on 15:00 - Aug 30 with 3428 viewsdingdangblue

Best start to a season under Hill on 14:36 - Aug 30 by isitme

Value for money and probably a smaller squad also come into play. I also think the fact that we let out players go when we get a decent offer helps us attract players on lower wages.

I was really surprised how bad Mawson and Roberts were at the back for Barnsley - reading their forum they were made out to be something special.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Best start to a season under Hill on 07:29 - Aug 31 with 3043 viewsNigeriamark

It may be me but it seems that in previous seasons our away form starts of better than our home form. It's great for travelling fans but it's home form that will put more bums on seats. Wasn't there, but the Peterborough and Barnsley games seem to have been great entertainment so hopefully a few more like that and our home attendances will start to creep up
Best start to a season under Hill on 07:49 - Aug 31 with 2997 viewsDomDale

Best start to a season under Hill on 13:22 - Aug 30 by dingdangblue

Like us last season? I appreciate we are a selling club and all but it was clear we were a full season of Matt Done short of 6th last term.
I'm very excited by what I've seen this season so far and hope if Keith thinks we can do "it" he convinces the board that we go for it properly.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Best start to a season under Hill on 07:55 - Aug 31 with 2986 viewsTalkingSutty

Best start to a season under Hill on 07:29 - Aug 31 by Nigeriamark

It may be me but it seems that in previous seasons our away form starts of better than our home form. It's great for travelling fans but it's home form that will put more bums on seats. Wasn't there, but the Peterborough and Barnsley games seem to have been great entertainment so hopefully a few more like that and our home attendances will start to creep up

I don't know the stats but in general Spotland is becoming a bit of a fortress, not many teams come away with the three points and it's been that way for quite a while now. I think we are now at the stage that if we play anywhere approaching our best we can beat anybody in league one, we look like a League One team now if you know what i mean.

I think we need to drop the ' over achieving ' line, it fuels the little old Rochdale tag (even though we are). We now belong in League One and a game against Rochdale is viewed as a tough fixture.

Second time around Hilly has eclipsed his first spell at the Club, how fantastic is that!!
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 8:00]
Best start to a season under Hill on 09:10 - Aug 31 with 2874 viewsColDale

Best start to a season under Hill on 07:29 - Aug 31 by Nigeriamark

Hill talked last season about the club needing to find an identity, and that post on the Barnsley forum says to me that he's cracked it.

Admittedly, Barnsley fans may be more likely to pick up on it than most other clubs, but the "Rochdale way" of doing things is being noticed and other clubs are rightly envious of how we do things.

We all know the formula (develop, improve and we know that it funds itself. And with the way the Championship clubs are throwing money around at the moment, we may even go beyond self sufficiency.

But for whilst we have that formula, Barnsley have their own (and its typical of most clubs). Expect, disappoint, sack, repeat. No manager there has gone three years in charge since Danny Wilson first time round as all that matters is the league position at the end of whatever season it is.

Understandably after the game on Saturday we were talking about what might have happened had Barnsley stuck by Hill. Relegation may well have been inevitable that season but with the added income spoken about in that Barnsley forum post coupled with their great training facilities, they'd have become a side with the right structure from top to bottom. They might not have bounced back to the Championship already but without question, they'd be a better bet to go up this year than they would under Johnson (who shows a lot of promise as a manager).

I reckon we are one of a very small handful of clubs who are prepared to look beyond the end of this season, and despite Hilly's "three games from the sack", he's one of an even smaller number of managers who can operate without the fear of the sack and plan for the long term.
Best start to a season under Hill on 10:08 - Aug 31 with 2735 viewsDaley_Lama

I hope Colin G and the Chairman have a couple of gray nicolls, for the bids from clubs with fat chairmen, large overdrafts and instant successitis will be coming in tomorrow for sure.

Anybody leaving can go up a division or for a million. 2 million if it is Jamie Allen.

Well, i can wish can't I. I'm sure an undisclosed'cannot refuse' bid for somebody over the next 36 hours.

Poll: DF in or out

Best start to a season under Hill on 10:42 - Aug 31 with 2654 viewsYouTubeDale

Keith Hill is now the 18th longest serving manager at 2 yrs 221 days. We are starting to bear the fruits of that "longevity". Keith has, over that time worked his magic by tinkering and making marginal changes as he goes, chipping away slowly and adding a little here and there.That Barnsley post refers to our organisation, that Keith in stills a way of working for each player, a real discipline, a proper work ethic. When he took on Nathan ML recently he said that putting him on our books he can do what he wants with him. He can control him, and if he doesn't conform he will be going out into the wilderness again on loan. That's the way Keith likes it and he has consciously moved away from loan signings so he can get that control and he knows of the possible income in terms of transfer fees if that player comes good.

Never mind The Rochdale Division, Keith has moved us on now and people are starting to talk about the "Rochdale way", how to manage a club properly, playing attractive football with their own players,especially young ones, being "successful" AND balancing the books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Football_League_managers
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 11:04]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Best start to a season under Hill on 11:40 - Aug 31 with 2540 views1mark1

He would have been 2nd or 3rd longest serving manager if he hadn't left for Barnsley, and stayed here all that time.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:00 - Aug 31 with 2474 viewsD_Alien

Best start to a season under Hill on 11:40 - Aug 31 by 1mark1

He would have been 2nd or 3rd longest serving manager if he hadn't left for Barnsley, and stayed here all that time.

True, but that was an experience he needed to go through. Without it, he'd have always been thinking "what if" - but now he can be reasonably content that he's got a job that could see him staying put, without being seen as lacking ambition.

In other words, the Dale are now reaping the benefit of that ill-fated move to Barnsley. If he suddenly changes tack and goes for a club with higher income levels (and greater pretensions) he's a fool. He's got respect, a great board of directors who appreciate him, and the potential to achieve things no-one would've thought possible - indeed he's already doing so! What's the point of giving that up for getting another club to a position they've been in many times before? He'll be on a decent basic salary here - enough to live quite happily for the rest of his life - and if the reports are true that he gets a cut of transfer fees, and I hope they are true, then what a fantastic incentive to carry on doing exactly what he's doing, and seeing the fruits of his labour go on to fulfil their potential, whilst keeping the Dale running like a a well-oiled machine and one day making it to the championship.

[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 12:02]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:03 - Aug 31 with 2461 viewsdingdangblue

Best start to a season under Hill on 11:40 - Aug 31 by 1mark1

Hilly has been quoted saying his time at Barnsley has made him a better person and manager. At the end of the day he now appreciates us more and we appreciate him more.

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:11 - Aug 31 with 2429 viewsrochdaleriddler

he seems v relaxed this season, the performance on saturday was best ive seen for ages

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:20 - Aug 31 with 2408 viewsTalkingSutty

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:00 - Aug 31 by D_Alien

True, but that was an experience he needed to go through. Without it, he'd have always been thinking "what if" - but now he can be reasonably content that he's got a job that could see him staying put, without being seen as lacking ambition.

In other words, the Dale are now reaping the benefit of that ill-fated move to Barnsley. If he suddenly changes tack and goes for a club with higher income levels (and greater pretensions) he's a fool. He's got respect, a great board of directors who appreciate him, and the potential to achieve things no-one would've thought possible - indeed he's already doing so! What's the point of giving that up for getting another club to a position they've been in many times before? He'll be on a decent basic salary here - enough to live quite happily for the rest of his life - and if the reports are true that he gets a cut of transfer fees, and I hope they are true, then what a fantastic incentive to carry on doing exactly what he's doing, and seeing the fruits of his labour go on to fulfil their potential, whilst keeping the Dale running like a a well-oiled machine and one day making it to the championship.

[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 12:02]

I see it a bit differently. Hillys very good at his job and in my opinion should already have a job at one of the big Championship Clubs. Gary Rowett at Birmingham is a good example, I think that's the sort of level Keith Hill is capable of managing at.

I don't know Hillys ambition or his long term plans but should a Club like Bolton or Blackburn come knocking I would be very surprised to see him stay at Rochdale. Next time he manages in the Championship he will want to operate on some sort of level playing field and that wouldn't happen should we ever reach the Championship. He got his fingers burnt at Barnsley but he will have learned from that

I don't buy into the notion that Hilly will just be content to see us stabilising in League One, at some point a big club will come knocking on the door and the money he will be offered is something we could never compete with. He owes us nothing anyway, he's already given the club good service. Obviously I would like to see him stay at the club for the next 10 years but Football doesn't work like that.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 12:26]
Best start to a season under Hill on 12:38 - Aug 31 with 2349 viewsmikehunt

With all that said might it be a good idea to see if Keef might sign a contract extension? Not to bind him to the club but to, at least, get some meaningful compensation for him when the day comes. Let's face it, his next club should be able to afford it.
Now that would be a good bit of business.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:39 - Aug 31 with 2346 views1mark1

I wasn't saying he should not have gone to Barnsley, but just making the point that IF he had not gone, and had stayed all this time he would have been near the top of the list.

Maybe Hill would see eventually getting the Dale to the 2nd tier of English football and cementing that, as his aim and ambition before trying another club. Lets not forget Blackburn or Bolton fans would demand success and would be far more prone to get on his back if they did not get it, as would the clubs themselves. Maybe he will be satisfied to become the Dale's own Dario Gradi.

I am sure that if we were to lose Hill again, that the next manager would have to come here on the same terms as Hill in the sense, they would have to build squads and maintain them on low budgets , and utilise the youth set ups to bring on players. Hopefully the club have learned the lessons of the failed recruitments of Steve Eyre and John Coleman, though it was more understandable with Coleman, with his fine record of managing Accrington on so little money.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:43 - Aug 31 with 2334 viewsaleanddale

Best start to a season under Hill on 07:55 - Aug 31 by TalkingSutty

I don't know the stats but in general Spotland is becoming a bit of a fortress, not many teams come away with the three points and it's been that way for quite a while now. I think we are now at the stage that if we play anywhere approaching our best we can beat anybody in league one, we look like a League One team now if you know what i mean.

I think we need to drop the ' over achieving ' line, it fuels the little old Rochdale tag (even though we are). We now belong in League One and a game against Rochdale is viewed as a tough fixture.

Second time around Hilly has eclipsed his first spell at the Club, how fantastic is that!!
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 8:00]

Excellent post TS.

Agree100%.

Hilly really is a god!!
Best start to a season under Hill on 12:44 - Aug 31 with 2328 viewsYouTubeDale

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:38 - Aug 31 by mikehunt

With all that said might it be a good idea to see if Keef might sign a contract extension? Not to bind him to the club but to, at least, get some meaningful compensation for him when the day comes. Let's face it, his next club should be able to afford it.
Now that would be a good bit of business.

When Keith joined in his second spell, the compensation package for him moving on was the first thing that was sorted when I spoke to the hierarchy.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:45 - Aug 31 with 2325 viewsColDale

Best start to a season under Hill on 12:20 - Aug 31 by TalkingSutty

I see it a bit differently. Hillys very good at his job and in my opinion should already have a job at one of the big Championship Clubs. Gary Rowett at Birmingham is a good example, I think that's the sort of level Keith Hill is capable of managing at.

I don't know Hillys ambition or his long term plans but should a Club like Bolton or Blackburn come knocking I would be very surprised to see him stay at Rochdale. Next time he manages in the Championship he will want to operate on some sort of level playing field and that wouldn't happen should we ever reach the Championship. He got his fingers burnt at Barnsley but he will have learned from that

I don't buy into the notion that Hilly will just be content to see us stabilising in League One, at some point a big club will come knocking on the door and the money he will be offered is something we could never compete with. He owes us nothing anyway, he's already given the club good service. Obviously I would like to see him stay at the club for the next 10 years but Football doesn't work like that.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 12:26]

That need for a level playing field goes a long way to keeping him at Dale.

With the debt levels of many Championship clubs, there's not many who could claim that. A quick scan of the Championship and I reckon there's only 8 or 9 clubs that would offer that, and within that, many have a quick sack mentality. Why take a job if you aren't given time to do it? A Bolton or a Blackburn are bigger clubs than Barnsley were but in terms of competing in the Championship, they're not a million miles off. The wrong club next time would see Hill labelled "only at Rochdale".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024