Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team 15:15 - Apr 13 with 13787 viewsClitheroeDale

Hi. Not sure if anyone is interested, but I found some pictures of Birch Hill Hospital team from the 1970's. My Dad Malcolm Whitworth played for the team and was a massive Dale fan.

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:19 - Apr 13 with 8784 viewsYorkshire_Dale

442 needs the colour version.........for kit comparison.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:35 - Apr 13 with 8750 views442Dale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:19 - Apr 13 by Yorkshire_Dale

442 needs the colour version.........for kit comparison.

I didn't even get to your post and I was already thinking the same thing. Some decent designs there.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:40 - Apr 13 with 8735 viewsTalkingSutty

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:35 - Apr 13 by 442Dale

I didn't even get to your post and I was already thinking the same thing. Some decent designs there.

I think a few of us on this forum turned out for them over the years.I recognise quite a few of those faces, maybe Roccy can put some names to a few of them. You had to be handsome to play for the Hospital Team as you can see from the pictures, the nurses were very strict about that in those days
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 15:45]
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:45 - Apr 13 with 8716 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:40 - Apr 13 by TalkingSutty

I think a few of us on this forum turned out for them over the years.I recognise quite a few of those faces, maybe Roccy can put some names to a few of them. You had to be handsome to play for the Hospital Team as you can see from the pictures, the nurses were very strict about that in those days
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 15:45]

Hi. Did you know any of the players on the pictures. I would love to start putting some names to the faces. The only other player I know is Number 6 - Dougie Holbrook.
My Dad is - Top Pic Number 9
Middle Picture - Number 2
Bottom Pic - Front Row 3rd from left.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 15:47]
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:46 - Apr 13 with 8709 viewsroccydaleian

Brilliant pics pal. Malc was a cracking bloke and we had many drinks and conversations about the Dale in the Social Club
And no TS i'm not on any of the pics, before my time and i didn't play for Rochdale Hospitals
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:47 - Apr 13 with 8709 viewsmingthemerciless

Quite a few faces I recognise but can't put a name to. Apart from the bloke in the second photo back row next to the goalie, with the cheesy tash. Paul Guy.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 17:23]
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:49 - Apr 13 with 8694 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:46 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

Brilliant pics pal. Malc was a cracking bloke and we had many drinks and conversations about the Dale in the Social Club
And no TS i'm not on any of the pics, before my time and i didn't play for Rochdale Hospitals

Cheers. Loved the social club, cracking night.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:49 - Apr 13 with 8691 viewsTalkingSutty

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:46 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

You played the records in the Social Club though didn't you, i remember it well. You always opened up with...'I'm in the mood for dancing...romancing .. I'm giving it all tonight'. You always played some top tunes from your personal record collection. Happy days!!
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 15:51]
Login to get fewer ads

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 16:12 - Apr 13 with 8654 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:45 - Apr 13 by ClitheroeDale

Hi. Did you know any of the players on the pictures. I would love to start putting some names to the faces. The only other player I know is Number 6 - Dougie Holbrook.

Just rung my sister in law and Top picture back row is David Mellor and on the front row
number 11 is Mick Smith (he used to go in the SC)
Middle pic back row 2nd left (next to Dougie) is Steve O'Sullivan, he's on the bottom pic as well (bottom row far right)
Might have some more info when my brother gets in tonight.
Edit. David Mellor is number 8
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 20:16]
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 16:15 - Apr 13 with 8643 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 16:12 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

Just rung my sister in law and Top picture back row is David Mellor and on the front row
Middle pic back row 2nd left (next to Dougie) is Steve O'Sullivan, he's on the bottom pic as well (bottom row far right)

Cheers.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 16:25 - Apr 13 with 8623 viewsSuddenLad

Is the bottom picture part of a 'Where's Wally' book ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 16:30 - Apr 13 with 8607 viewsTalkingSutty

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 16:25 - Apr 13 by SuddenLad

Is the bottom picture part of a 'Where's Wally' book ?

I think i can spot Dave Esser on the front row of that picture. They should have been deducted 2 points for playing a ringer.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 17:57 - Apr 13 with 8512 viewssince58

I remember playing against those lads in the Rochdale Amateur League on Saturdays ,and Littleboro sunday league before it became Rochdale Sunday league.
My wife was a nursing sister there at the time and it was really funny when we played them as she always supported them . Happy days.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:11 - Apr 13 with 8493 viewsNigeriamark

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 16:12 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

David Mellor was my boss and introduced me to the team. I played for them 1980 to about 84ish. Forgotten the managers name ( I think he worked in the kitchen at Birch Hill). Down to the Bulls Head after games which was buzzing as about 4 teams wen't back.

Happy days playing with some great lads and even better times in the Social club

Also remember the OPs Dad Malcolm ( and the OP ) How are you doing Clitheroe Dale
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:14 - Apr 13 with 8487 viewsmingthemerciless

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:45 - Apr 13 by ClitheroeDale

Versatile player then ? Or did he just slow down over the years ?
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:31 - Apr 13 with 8450 viewsfirgrovedale51

Top pic bottom right number 4 was Colin Thompson worked in the Kitchens
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:41 - Apr 13 with 8425 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:11 - Apr 13 by Nigeriamark

David Mellor was my boss and introduced me to the team. I played for them 1980 to about 84ish. Forgotten the managers name ( I think he worked in the kitchen at Birch Hill). Down to the Bulls Head after games which was buzzing as about 4 teams wen't back.

Happy days playing with some great lads and even better times in the Social club

Also remember the OPs Dad Malcolm ( and the OP ) How are you doing Clitheroe Dale

Was the manager's first name Jeff? Gummy bloke who lived on Belfield.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:02 - Apr 13 with 8321 viewsrochedale

Just passed these pictures to the son of Doug Holbrook who is made up. David Mellor's (8 on top pic) son was also the year below me at Wardle High, and apparently a top player too!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:12 - Apr 13 with 8309 viewsNigeriamark

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:41 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

Was the manager's first name Jeff? Gummy bloke who lived on Belfield.

Yep I think that's the one.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:31 - Apr 13 with 8259 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:11 - Apr 13 by Nigeriamark

I'm good thanks. Glad these pictures are creating some happy memories
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:32 - Apr 13 with 8249 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 18:14 - Apr 13 by mingthemerciless

Versatile player then ? Or did he just slow down over the years ?

Think he was used as a battering ram, not much pace I'm told.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:35 - Apr 13 with 8241 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:02 - Apr 13 by rochedale

Just passed these pictures to the son of Doug Holbrook who is made up. David Mellor's (8 on top pic) son was also the year below me at Wardle High, and apparently a top player too!

Hi. It was Doug that sent me the pictures originally. I found them on a Birch Hill Facebook page. It was so strange just flicking through facebook to see pictures of my dad that I'd never seen before.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:37 - Apr 13 with 8236 viewsroccydaleian

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:32 - Apr 13 by ClitheroeDale

Think he was used as a battering ram, not much pace I'm told.

Certainly didn't have much pace when it was a race to the bar.
Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 21:15 - Apr 13 with 8190 viewsTVOS1907

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 15:49 - Apr 13 by TalkingSutty

You played the records in the Social Club though didn't you, i remember it well. You always opened up with...'I'm in the mood for dancing...romancing .. I'm giving it all tonight'. You always played some top tunes from your personal record collection. Happy days!!
[Post edited 13 Apr 2016 15:51]

I never knew Kiss did a version that classic by The Nolans.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 21:18 - Apr 13 with 8183 viewsClitheroeDale

Birch Hill Hospital Football Team on 20:37 - Apr 13 by roccydaleian

Certainly didn't have much pace when it was a race to the bar.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024