Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season's odds 10:34 - May 29 with 3126 viewsColDale

Surprise surprise, Sheff Utd favourites

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-1/winner

Next season's odds on 11:38 - May 29 with 3042 viewsTalkingSutty

Is there any real reason why we can't do a Burton? ( I can imagine Hilly spitting his coffee all over the kitchen table at that proposal).I keep trying to come up with an excuse to say it's not possible, but it obviously is. They didn't throw tons of money at the project and they weren't an expensively assembled team. Why can they do it and not us?

During the past two seasons we have been on the brink of the Play Offs and that's without having any real appetite to go up to the next level. If ever we did decide to give it a real go and perhaps loosen the purse strings then this season would be the right time.Maybe that ambitious approach will attract back the missing fans.Obviously we would have to let the cat out of the bag though, something that as a Club we aren't very good at.

We have a nucleus of good players who are improving, a chance to recruit new players to add to the mix and a manager who is capable of taking us to the next level if everybody connected to the Club really bought into it.

By not constantly striving to better ourselves and limiting the ambition to league one survival we always run the risk of players and managers jumping ship, how else can they get to the next level if they don't?
[Post edited 29 May 2016 11:44]
Next season's odds on 11:53 - May 29 with 3005 viewsD_Alien

Does our mid-table ranking with the bookies mean we're already an established L1 side, after two seasons? Our 8th & 10th finishes suggest we are, in which case - as TS sets out above - there's nothing to stop us going for it this season. Perhaps our way of sneaking under the radar suits us though.

Whilst it's a challenge - and one he seems to relish - for Hilly to put together a defence in the close season and add to our potency in attack, does it get easier or more difficult to do so? My view is that it'd get more difficult as time goes on unless we're seen to be making progress year on year.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Next season's odds on 11:58 - May 29 with 2989 viewsRotherhamDale

Oh no TS, you're forgetting that we are not worthy of league one football, never mind the playoffs.

Possession with progression.

Next season's odds on 12:17 - May 29 with 2935 viewsTalkingSutty

Next season's odds on 11:58 - May 29 by RotherhamDale

Oh no TS, you're forgetting that we are not worthy of league one football, never mind the playoffs.

Just thinking it would make the town sit up if we announced that the Club are going to be a bit different and announce an attempt to enter unchartered waters. It would enthuse the youngsters and general public and god forbid attract some extra supporters. I realise it all sounds a bit daft.
[Post edited 29 May 2016 12:44]
Next season's odds on 12:17 - May 29 with 2935 views442Dale

The manager was disappointed to miss out on the play-offs last season.
http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/keith-hill-the-drive-that-ive-had-has-

I think the expectations within the dressing room are greater than those of the supporters, for that reason alone you wouldn't expect the word - expectations - to be used next season as it has been in the past.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next season's odds on 12:23 - May 29 with 2920 viewsColDale

Next season's odds on 11:38 - May 29 by TalkingSutty

Is there any real reason why we can't do a Burton? ( I can imagine Hilly spitting his coffee all over the kitchen table at that proposal).I keep trying to come up with an excuse to say it's not possible, but it obviously is. They didn't throw tons of money at the project and they weren't an expensively assembled team. Why can they do it and not us?

During the past two seasons we have been on the brink of the Play Offs and that's without having any real appetite to go up to the next level. If ever we did decide to give it a real go and perhaps loosen the purse strings then this season would be the right time.Maybe that ambitious approach will attract back the missing fans.Obviously we would have to let the cat out of the bag though, something that as a Club we aren't very good at.

We have a nucleus of good players who are improving, a chance to recruit new players to add to the mix and a manager who is capable of taking us to the next level if everybody connected to the Club really bought into it.

By not constantly striving to better ourselves and limiting the ambition to league one survival we always run the risk of players and managers jumping ship, how else can they get to the next level if they don't?
[Post edited 29 May 2016 11:44]

I don't think we'd score enough goals to do that. I know Burton didn't score many but they play a different way to us. With Hendo, Bunney, Andrew and Allessandra signed up for next season, I can't see us recruiting anyone who could come in and get 15 goals+. Maybe there's a chance if we can offload Allessandra and recruit well.

But if we get the central defender recruitment right, then there's every chance we can make a real push for the Play Offs. The likes of Allen and Camps should be major players in League One next season and the club have done well to improve McDermott's stamina that should only improve next time round.

Unless someone starts flashing the cash, it can only help that we'll go into preseason with no uncertainty over the squad. All contract business has been sorted, and I doubt we'll have the Hendo / Hogan issues that we've had the last two summers.
Next season's odds on 12:58 - May 29 with 2838 viewselectricblue

Seeing that the club made £1.2m profit then perhaps an slight increase in wages budget this season.
That may help to get some better quality players in to improve the squad and prove that push....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Next season's odds on 13:17 - May 29 with 2798 viewsTalkingSutty

Next season's odds on 12:58 - May 29 by electricblue

Seeing that the club made £1.2m profit then perhaps an slight increase in wages budget this season.
That may help to get some better quality players in to improve the squad and prove that push....

Re-investment into the very thing that provided the record profit would make sense. I don't know the ins and outs of the finances and what the monies are earmarked for, but maybe increasing Hillys budget by a few hundred grand could be seen as speculating to accumulate. Hillys a good speculator and if he does pick a percentage of player profit up then you know he would spend it very wisely.
[Post edited 29 May 2016 13:19]
Login to get fewer ads

Next season's odds on 14:19 - May 29 with 2691 viewsYorkshire_Dale

I think that getting a good start to the season is vital........and then trying to sustain it.

But look at Barnsley.......rock bottom in November and just about to run out at Wemberlee as I type.

We need to keep our dwindling crowds interested........we are a fickle lot.
Next season's odds on 19:09 - May 29 with 2445 viewsD_Dale

Next season's odds on 12:23 - May 29 by ColDale

I don't think we'd score enough goals to do that. I know Burton didn't score many but they play a different way to us. With Hendo, Bunney, Andrew and Allessandra signed up for next season, I can't see us recruiting anyone who could come in and get 15 goals+. Maybe there's a chance if we can offload Allessandra and recruit well.

But if we get the central defender recruitment right, then there's every chance we can make a real push for the Play Offs. The likes of Allen and Camps should be major players in League One next season and the club have done well to improve McDermott's stamina that should only improve next time round.

Unless someone starts flashing the cash, it can only help that we'll go into preseason with no uncertainty over the squad. All contract business has been sorted, and I doubt we'll have the Hendo / Hogan issues that we've had the last two summers.

I think the only hope of a 15+ goalscorer next season is Joe Bunney reproducing the form of those 11 late season matches in which he scored 7 goals - equivalent to 28 for the whole season! Or Mendez-Laing doing what he did in the last 11 (5 goals). That would mean 20 goals. Come on, Joe and Nat, no pressure.

Or Vincenti returning to the form that brought him 7 goals in 8 league matches early last season (and that would mean 35-40 goals!!).

Or Hendo reproducing the 22-goals form of two seasons ago. In the last season his top-scorer tally of 13 was boosted by 6 penalties.

Of course, it doesn't work like that, but if there is a potential 15+ goalscorer out there he's not likely to have done much so far as if he had other clubs would outbid any offer from Dale.

One feature of last season was the large number of scorers - 18, although 12 of those scored just 1 or 2 goals. A promotion challenge is possible if three or four forwards get into double figures and midfielders and defenders chip in with a few goals each.

And then there's the need for a rock-solid defence ...
Next season's odds on 22:03 - May 29 with 2287 viewsDannyG_RAFC

I think I speak for every Rochdale fan whenI say I'm happy to survive by a goal. But this coming season excites me, it really does. It says it on the season tickets that football is about reaching for the stars. 10 years ago the stars were league 1, but now it's championship football. We aren't a million miles away from the championship and there seems to be a small ambition of the impossible dream. Keeping the vertebrae of our squad is key and we should be in for a successful season again. We shouldn't play down the possibility of championship football because now is the best chance we will ever have. Who knows, some of the armchair gimps may come out of there shells if we get there. God can't believe we're talking about championship football. Up the dale
Keith hills barmy army
Next season's odds on 22:24 - May 29 with 2231 viewsdingdangblue

Next season's odds on 12:23 - May 29 by ColDale

The problem with Allen and Camps, and McDermott and Mendez-Laing also is their current contracts run out in 12 months time - I cant see any of them extending beyond next season so they are either going to have to be sold this close season (Allen and Camps) or we lose them for a tribunal fee at the end of the season or for nothing in the latter two's case. With not much time left on their contracts they are unlikely to be sold for any value in Jan.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Next season's odds on 08:38 - May 30 with 2038 viewsTalkingSutty

Next season's odds on 22:03 - May 29 by DannyG_RAFC

I think I speak for every Rochdale fan whenI say I'm happy to survive by a goal. But this coming season excites me, it really does. It says it on the season tickets that football is about reaching for the stars. 10 years ago the stars were league 1, but now it's championship football. We aren't a million miles away from the championship and there seems to be a small ambition of the impossible dream. Keeping the vertebrae of our squad is key and we should be in for a successful season again. We shouldn't play down the possibility of championship football because now is the best chance we will ever have. Who knows, some of the armchair gimps may come out of there shells if we get there. God can't believe we're talking about championship football. Up the dale
Keith hills barmy army

There's only a few people talking about the possibility of a shot at Championship football. If you start with that hanky panky in a couple of months time you'll be run out of town, it might spark interest in the Football Club and raise some expectation and we can't have that.

''ROCHDALE FOOTBALL CLUB ARE AIMING FOR UNCHARTERED WATERS'

Rochdale manager Keith Hill stated ' We haven't been their before, can it happen? Of course it can. We have some very good footballers at the Club and I owe it to them to try to bring in some reinforcements and see if we can make an assault on the Play Offs and ultimately take this Club into the Championship.

I want the good folk of Rochdale to receive this message and get up to Spotland in their numbers, we need the extra support and everybody to unite to achieve this goal. If we don't have a go now when will we? It's time to shoot for the stars, there's no guarantees because we are the underdogs of league one, but every dog as its day and we fear nobody in this league. We used to be the runt of the litter but 'Wow', look at us now, we're the Chocolate Labrador that everybody wants to stroke!!

We have come close to the Play Offs over the last two seasons and this time we are aiming to go one better. It's no longer about survival, it's about being brave and believing. We are going on a journey this season and we need the Rochdale public to come with us from day one.'

Rochdale Observer ( one week later)

'Human Snake at Spotland'

'Huge queues snaked around Spotland Stadium in response to Keith Hills appeal to the Rochdale Public, season tickets were being snapped up at a record rate as Club staff were swamped by the response.

Commercial manager Colin Garlick said ' We've never seen anything like it, if it continues we might have to extend the opening hours and maybe as a last resort look at opening Saturday morning for an hour or two. As 'Footballing People' we try to plan for these type of events but it's really took us by surprise. The weather forecast over the next few days looks a bit iffy with squally showers moving up from the South West so can I appeal to the customers to stagger their journeys up to the Ticket Office and save themselves a soaking'

'Season Ticket holders are also reminded that they need to produce 'Voucher F' at the ticket office in order to obtain their reduced price league cup ticket for the first round clash against Morecombe at Spotland. This will ensure a saving of one pounds on the night. The voucher must be produced between the hours of 10am- 11am and 2pm-3pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please note the voucher needs to be attached to the Season Ticket books and breaks in the perforations will result in the voucher being deemed null and void. Juniors MUST be in attendance with adults in order to redeem their voucher'.

Garlick also made an appeal to the Rochdale Public ' It's your Town, your Club and we need to attract extra support to take us to the next level. You'll find a warm welcome at Spotland and we all want the same thing. If you snapped me in half like a stick of rock,you'd find the words ' Customer is King' written right through me. Get yourself up here and sample the 'Spotland Experience', we're waiting for you!!

The 'Feel Good ' atmosphere is cranking up with the big kick off only a matter of weeks away and the Rochdale Observer will have our fingers on the pulse,ready to bring you all the breaking News from Spotland.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 10:06]
Next season's odds on 10:17 - May 30 with 1948 viewsD_Alien

Wish I'd never mentioned snakes

At that rate, we'd need someone who's a good adder in the ticket office

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Next season's odds on 10:49 - May 30 with 1907 views442Dale

All those extra fans means we won't have to rattle buckets anytime soon.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Next season's odds on 12:11 - May 30 with 1832 views1mark1

Next season's odds on 08:38 - May 30 by TalkingSutty

There's only a few people talking about the possibility of a shot at Championship football. If you start with that hanky panky in a couple of months time you'll be run out of town, it might spark interest in the Football Club and raise some expectation and we can't have that.

''ROCHDALE FOOTBALL CLUB ARE AIMING FOR UNCHARTERED WATERS'

Rochdale manager Keith Hill stated ' We haven't been their before, can it happen? Of course it can. We have some very good footballers at the Club and I owe it to them to try to bring in some reinforcements and see if we can make an assault on the Play Offs and ultimately take this Club into the Championship.

I want the good folk of Rochdale to receive this message and get up to Spotland in their numbers, we need the extra support and everybody to unite to achieve this goal. If we don't have a go now when will we? It's time to shoot for the stars, there's no guarantees because we are the underdogs of league one, but every dog as its day and we fear nobody in this league. We used to be the runt of the litter but 'Wow', look at us now, we're the Chocolate Labrador that everybody wants to stroke!!

We have come close to the Play Offs over the last two seasons and this time we are aiming to go one better. It's no longer about survival, it's about being brave and believing. We are going on a journey this season and we need the Rochdale public to come with us from day one.'

Rochdale Observer ( one week later)

'Human Snake at Spotland'

'Huge queues snaked around Spotland Stadium in response to Keith Hills appeal to the Rochdale Public, season tickets were being snapped up at a record rate as Club staff were swamped by the response.

Commercial manager Colin Garlick said ' We've never seen anything like it, if it continues we might have to extend the opening hours and maybe as a last resort look at opening Saturday morning for an hour or two. As 'Footballing People' we try to plan for these type of events but it's really took us by surprise. The weather forecast over the next few days looks a bit iffy with squally showers moving up from the South West so can I appeal to the customers to stagger their journeys up to the Ticket Office and save themselves a soaking'

'Season Ticket holders are also reminded that they need to produce 'Voucher F' at the ticket office in order to obtain their reduced price league cup ticket for the first round clash against Morecombe at Spotland. This will ensure a saving of one pounds on the night. The voucher must be produced between the hours of 10am- 11am and 2pm-3pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please note the voucher needs to be attached to the Season Ticket books and breaks in the perforations will result in the voucher being deemed null and void. Juniors MUST be in attendance with adults in order to redeem their voucher'.

Garlick also made an appeal to the Rochdale Public ' It's your Town, your Club and we need to attract extra support to take us to the next level. You'll find a warm welcome at Spotland and we all want the same thing. If you snapped me in half like a stick of rock,you'd find the words ' Customer is King' written right through me. Get yourself up here and sample the 'Spotland Experience', we're waiting for you!!

The 'Feel Good ' atmosphere is cranking up with the big kick off only a matter of weeks away and the Rochdale Observer will have our fingers on the pulse,ready to bring you all the breaking News from Spotland.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 10:06]

Be great if that happened, however the biggest stumbling block to me and many others who I know is price, of both match day and season tickets, none of which has been addressed by the Club to attract the missing thousands who have turned up to watch the Dale over the years but now don't on a decent regular basis.

So sadly, unless there is either an upturn in my available spending power or a reduction in ticket prices on the day or over a season I will not be going up to see more than a few games a season, until I reach OAP, even if we are on the verge of doing a Burton.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Next season's odds on 12:27 - May 30 with 1799 viewsTalkingSutty

Next season's odds on 12:11 - May 30 by 1mark1

Be great if that happened, however the biggest stumbling block to me and many others who I know is price, of both match day and season tickets, none of which has been addressed by the Club to attract the missing thousands who have turned up to watch the Dale over the years but now don't on a decent regular basis.

So sadly, unless there is either an upturn in my available spending power or a reduction in ticket prices on the day or over a season I will not be going up to see more than a few games a season, until I reach OAP, even if we are on the verge of doing a Burton.

Funnily enough somebody else cited the same reasons to me the other day for his non attendance at Spotland over the last few years. He simply can't afford the price and has got out of the habit. You are not the Clubs priority though, thats reflected in next seasons price structure. They are targetting the young kids instead.
Next season's odds on 12:35 - May 30 with 1786 views1mark1

Next season's odds on 12:27 - May 30 by TalkingSutty

Funnily enough somebody else cited the same reasons to me the other day for his non attendance at Spotland over the last few years. He simply can't afford the price and has got out of the habit. You are not the Clubs priority though, thats reflected in next seasons price structure. They are targetting the young kids instead.

Oh yes I am fully aware of that, and I agree that attracting young people to come is a good move.

However they shouldn't complain when people like me don't turn up, though there will be some in the club that do. The club have made their decision, their choice, and if it works, very good, if not its down to them and no one else. If KH does complain about low crowds he should know the choices were made by the Club in which way to go to attract crowds.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Next season's odds on 18:55 - May 30 with 1626 viewsnordenblue

Next season's odds on 12:35 - May 30 by 1mark1

Oh yes I am fully aware of that, and I agree that attracting young people to come is a good move.

However they shouldn't complain when people like me don't turn up, though there will be some in the club that do. The club have made their decision, their choice, and if it works, very good, if not its down to them and no one else. If KH does complain about low crowds he should know the choices were made by the Club in which way to go to attract crowds.

Couldn't agree any more,I'm generally available most Saturdays to watch football and ive travelled all over watching them,but I'll be surprised if I make it to 10 games next season.

Nearly 20 quid a game to watch 3rd tier football is far too expensive and most if not all local teams even in higher divisions have much cheaper season tickets to entice people to get into the habit of going regularly.

I can honestly say I'm happily out of the habit and instead of wondering what I've missed not going,I instead count the money I've not spent,a few years ago I couldn't keep away from the place.
Next season's odds on 19:12 - May 30 with 1603 viewsTalkingSutty

Next season's odds on 18:55 - May 30 by nordenblue

Couldn't agree any more,I'm generally available most Saturdays to watch football and ive travelled all over watching them,but I'll be surprised if I make it to 10 games next season.

Nearly 20 quid a game to watch 3rd tier football is far too expensive and most if not all local teams even in higher divisions have much cheaper season tickets to entice people to get into the habit of going regularly.

I can honestly say I'm happily out of the habit and instead of wondering what I've missed not going,I instead count the money I've not spent,a few years ago I couldn't keep away from the place.

It's not just the money you are shelling out though, it's also the attitude of those who are making their living out of the game at this level ( Not just players) . They seem to have an air of superiority about them and an entitlement to talk down too and patronise the fans.

let's remember we are talking about people who are plying their trade in the lower leagues of football, on the shop floor, yet they strut around and speak as though they are on another level to everybody else. I blame it all on the hero worshippers. You're right,twenty quid to watch league one football is expensive, a lot of folk can't justify it.
Next season's odds on 19:51 - May 30 with 1566 viewsnordenblue

Next season's odds on 19:12 - May 30 by TalkingSutty

It's not just the money you are shelling out though, it's also the attitude of those who are making their living out of the game at this level ( Not just players) . They seem to have an air of superiority about them and an entitlement to talk down too and patronise the fans.

let's remember we are talking about people who are plying their trade in the lower leagues of football, on the shop floor, yet they strut around and speak as though they are on another level to everybody else. I blame it all on the hero worshippers. You're right,twenty quid to watch league one football is expensive, a lot of folk can't justify it.

There is definitely an element of that too,the whole can't be arsed attitude by many higher up that eventually passes onto fans who follow the same ways sadly.

I know it's been done to death but there's plenty of other things to throw the best part of 30 quid at every other Sat when factoring in the drive over, a drink etc too,it's expensive for what is essentially 90 mins of 3rd tier football.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024