Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Iceland tonight 11:28 - Jun 20 with 22950 viewsaleanddale

Roy is making changes tonight.

Is that a good thing? I think so.

Vital we match or better the Wales result. It would be great to go into the last 16 top of the group and a game against a 3rd place finisher for a knock out game for a QF place in the comp.

QF a minimum aim now - then 3 games from euro glory!

This is England though.... Sure to be some concern at some point tonight!!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 5:59]
England v Iceland tonight on 02:03 - Jun 30 with 1309 viewsAtThePeake

England v Iceland tonight on 23:37 - Jun 29 by Shun

I don't know of any Premier League team that plays 'kick and rush' either.
I'm also interested to know why OD thinks the England players are 'terrified' by the pressure as soon as a tournament starts.

Why are Leipzig universally hated in Deutschland?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 23:56]

Just guessing here but probably the Red Bull thing? They're a fairly new club that are essentially little more than a branding tool for Red Bull, like Salzburg and NY. I've seen a short documentary about Red Bull Salzburg who are seriously hated in Austria, I can only presume it's the same in Germany for similar reasons.

Obviously there's no way such a perfect thing as the Bundesliga with their minuscule ticket prices and fan owned clubs would allow for... oh wait.

Tangled up in blue.

England v Iceland tonight on 03:05 - Jun 30 with 1299 viewsmacro

England v Iceland tonight on 20:40 - Jun 29 by olympicdale

I don't think they are either, most English players are overrated, and pushed in to the limelight too early, often believing their own hype, a prime example being Raheem Sterling. I also think that they are not coached properly at International level, playing in random systems, hurting their confidence before they even get on the pitch, playing football is tough in your own position, never mind in someone elses.

What a sad state of affairs it is, that technical ability is called boring, sums up the whole countries attitude towards football, that, I'm sure City will be called boring too, under Pep, like what happened at Bayern. Technical ability is what football is all about, defining natural ability, each league has its own style. The Bundesliga is more focused on build up play from the back, and the coaching is different, players needing to be comfortable on the ball for longer. It is a completely different style to the Premier league, a slower pace, compared to the 100mph kick and rush style in the PL, although that being one of the reasons it is entertaining to watch, if not always the best quality.

Teams like Bayern and Dortmund are in a different league to the rest, but there are teams such as Gladbach and Leverkusen pushing behind them, even "smaller" teams like Mainz and Hertha Berlin, interesting to see how RB Leipzig fair, being single handedly the most hated team in Germany right now.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2016 23:55]

Kick and rush, really. Ipswich may play that way but teams like Arsenal pass, pass, pass.
England v Iceland tonight on 08:06 - Jun 30 with 1240 viewsjudd

England v Iceland tonight on 20:52 - Jun 29 by TVOS1907

Which PL teams play 'kick & rush'?

Liverpool.

Well they played Rush for ages.

Poll: What is it to be then?

England v Iceland tonight on 08:11 - Jun 30 with 1225 viewsKenBoon

They say the Leipzig hating is because of Red Bull, but personally I don't see how its any different to Bayern Munich, Wolfsburg, Dortmund etc and all their corporate 'supporters'. It's more likely to be because they're from the old East Germany (using the same logic that everyone who voted to leave the EU is a daft racist).
England v Iceland tonight on 15:36 - Jun 30 with 1134 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 23:37 - Jun 29 by Shun

I don't know of any Premier League team that plays 'kick and rush' either.
I'm also interested to know why OD thinks the England players are 'terrified' by the pressure as soon as a tournament starts.

Why are Leipzig universally hated in Deutschland?
[Post edited 29 Jun 2016 23:56]

Im not saying they are terrified, but that's often how it looks in tournaments, because they know if they underperform they will get a grilling from the press, the pressure of the tournament just seems to get to them.

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 15:59 - Jun 30 with 1106 viewsHK_Dale

England v Iceland tonight on 15:36 - Jun 30 by olympicdale

Im not saying they are terrified, but that's often how it looks in tournaments, because they know if they underperform they will get a grilling from the press, the pressure of the tournament just seems to get to them.

The difference is the quality of the players. France players were pilloried in the French press (Pogba and Griezmann in particular) after the group stage performances. But they still have the quality to go and beat teams, even after going behind in games.
England v Iceland tonight on 16:01 - Jun 30 with 1100 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 08:11 - Jun 30 by KenBoon

They say the Leipzig hating is because of Red Bull, but personally I don't see how its any different to Bayern Munich, Wolfsburg, Dortmund etc and all their corporate 'supporters'. It's more likely to be because they're from the old East Germany (using the same logic that everyone who voted to leave the EU is a daft racist).

RB Leipzig are hated in Germany because they are seen as a brand, more than a football team, propelled up the leagues by money, similar to how Hoffenheim were seen, and still are for the majority of fans in Germany.

Leipzig were not bought by foreign investors like how it happens here, they did it by purchasing the playing license of SSV Markranstädt back in 2008, as part of Red Bulls "sports portfolio" clubs in Germany are very proud of their history, and fan ownership is a big factor, in fact they were not allowed to change their name to Red Bull Leipzig, because of the laws set down by the German FA, so the owner changed their name to RasenBallsport, which means Lawn Ball sports, but it meant they could still get the RB abbreviation in to the name, the Liepzig situation doesn't have anything to do with the fans, or their location, more how they have achieved their success.

Bayern Munich are hated in Germany the same reason Man United are, for their success, fans are purely jealous, the FC Hollywood tag has never really left. They are an extremely well run club, no decisions get the go ahead without fan approval, and are not dependent on foreign investment for funding. As a proud Bayern supporter of nearly 20 years I think it is how all clubs should be running things at the top level, not selling your soul for some Arab cash. Wolfsburg are owned by Volkswagen, a local firm, similar to Stuttgart with Mercedes, they are wanting to put money in to their local teams, and before all this Volkswagen chaos, things were looking on the up for Wolfsburg. Dortmund are similar to Bayern, well run, passionate fans who have a strong say in all that goes on, I respect Dortmund a lot, in how they run their model.

The German model should be respected for the feeling of community within each one of their clubs, the German FA are very strict on foreign investors coming in, and taking away the family feel of the clubs, they protect and care for their teams, and that is rare nowadays.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2016 16:10]

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 16:02 - Jun 30 with 1095 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 15:59 - Jun 30 by HK_Dale

The difference is the quality of the players. France players were pilloried in the French press (Pogba and Griezmann in particular) after the group stage performances. But they still have the quality to go and beat teams, even after going behind in games.

They have the winning mentality, they can deal with the pressure because they've been there and done it.

Life is a game of fate.

Login to get fewer ads

England v Iceland tonight on 16:04 - Jun 30 with 1088 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 03:05 - Jun 30 by macro

Kick and rush, really. Ipswich may play that way but teams like Arsenal pass, pass, pass.

Mick McHoof ball

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 16:12 - Jun 30 with 1083 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 03:05 - Jun 30 by macro

Arsenal are full of technically good foreigners, but they should be more pass, pass, shoot. Always one too many from the Gunners.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2016 16:13]

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 16:28 - Jun 30 with 1068 viewsAtThePeake

England v Iceland tonight on 16:12 - Jun 30 by olympicdale

Arsenal are full of technically good foreigners, but they should be more pass, pass, shoot. Always one too many from the Gunners.

Arsenal had the second highest 'shots per game' average in the Premier League last season.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/4311/Stages/9155/Tea

Tangled up in blue.

England v Iceland tonight on 18:02 - Jun 30 with 1009 viewsTVOS1907

England v Iceland tonight on 15:36 - Jun 30 by olympicdale

Do you seriously believe players go out there with the potential reaction in the press at the back of their minds?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

England v Iceland tonight on 18:03 - Jun 30 with 1008 viewsTVOS1907

Maybe they should just kick and rush it to Niall Quinn like the rest of the Premier League.

England v Iceland tonight on 18:07 - Jun 30 with 1000 viewsTVOS1907

England v Iceland tonight on 16:02 - Jun 30 by olympicdale

They have the winning mentality, they can deal with the pressure because they've been there and done it.

Been there and done what?

England v Iceland tonight on 18:52 - Jun 30 with 959 viewsSaxonDale

England v Iceland tonight on 18:02 - Jun 30 by TVOS1907

Do you seriously believe players go out there with the potential reaction in the press at the back of their minds?

Gary Neville admits in his autobiography that this was the case with many players during his time as an international player. There's a paragraph in the book which mentions an unnamed player desperately scouring over several newspapers during the 2006 World Cup to find how his previous day's perfomance had been rated by the press.
England v Iceland tonight on 19:12 - Jun 30 with 931 viewsmacro

Tottenham have real long ball tendencies as well, lots of English players. The only team in the prem who are ever accused of long ball tactics are WBA.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024