Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Chief Exec... 15:57 - Aug 2 with 8842 viewsrochedale

...Russ Green

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/russ-green-appointed-as-rochda

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

New Chief Exec... on 15:15 - Aug 3 with 2212 viewsdingdangblue

New Chief Exec... on 14:58 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

My mistake regarding Para Payments, cheers. We could still attract decent players just by competing in the Championship, contrary to popular belief not all of the players are in a position to hold Clubs over a barrel when it comes to wages. Work out your budget on wages and stick to it, I am not one of those who views a visit to the Champioship as the next Armageddon, I think it would be great for the Club.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 19:37]

With Hill and Dunphy here we'd be in good hands. If Hill gets us promoted to the Championship I'd imagine he'd be inundated with job offers elsewhere - it would be very hard to keep hold of him - and nigh on impossible to replace. We can cross that bridge when it comes

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

New Chief Exec... on 16:16 - Aug 3 with 2118 viewsAtThePeake

I can think of nothing better than seeing Rochdale AFC compete in the Championship. It would be a dream come true for everyone connected with the club and it should be the aim this season and indeed every season where we're in League One and Keith Hill is at the helm, cause he's certainly capable of achieving that, I'm sure of it.

Burton's success can be replicated and we should be looking to replicate it, but at the same time we shouldn't get frustrated if it doesn't happen. We're still punching well above our weight and the last two seasons have been huge successes given our wage constraints etc etc. The board, players and perhaps most importantly the manager still deserve praise even if we don't really kick on this season because there are a lot of clubs below us spending a lot more money than us who would love to be in our position.

As for being 'bullish' about playing the big clubs, I disagree there. I think Hill likes to try lure the bigger clubs into a false sense of security before we play them. Make them think that we're only little Rochdale and they can roll us over. I'm completely sure that the message to the players in the dressing room is a very different one and that is why time and again we've beaten bigger and supposedly better clubs under him.

I remember one occasion during Hill's first spell when he was slightly bullish as he mentioned something about us being a 'Premier League club in the making' when we were in League Two before we played Chesterfield away in something of a promotion six-pointer. A link was posted on here after that comment where a pundit had picked up on his words and probably misunderstood the point but had said he hoped we were beaten by Chesterfield after what he perceived to be 'arrogant' comments from Hill. Chesterfield beat us.

Going 'under the radar' works for Hilly and the players, he's said it several times in the past. I don't see any reason why we should look to change that.

Tangled up in blue.

New Chief Exec... on 16:39 - Aug 3 with 2070 viewsDaleiLama

New Chief Exec... on 16:16 - Aug 3 by AtThePeake

I can think of nothing better than seeing Rochdale AFC compete in the Championship. It would be a dream come true for everyone connected with the club and it should be the aim this season and indeed every season where we're in League One and Keith Hill is at the helm, cause he's certainly capable of achieving that, I'm sure of it.

Burton's success can be replicated and we should be looking to replicate it, but at the same time we shouldn't get frustrated if it doesn't happen. We're still punching well above our weight and the last two seasons have been huge successes given our wage constraints etc etc. The board, players and perhaps most importantly the manager still deserve praise even if we don't really kick on this season because there are a lot of clubs below us spending a lot more money than us who would love to be in our position.

As for being 'bullish' about playing the big clubs, I disagree there. I think Hill likes to try lure the bigger clubs into a false sense of security before we play them. Make them think that we're only little Rochdale and they can roll us over. I'm completely sure that the message to the players in the dressing room is a very different one and that is why time and again we've beaten bigger and supposedly better clubs under him.

I remember one occasion during Hill's first spell when he was slightly bullish as he mentioned something about us being a 'Premier League club in the making' when we were in League Two before we played Chesterfield away in something of a promotion six-pointer. A link was posted on here after that comment where a pundit had picked up on his words and probably misunderstood the point but had said he hoped we were beaten by Chesterfield after what he perceived to be 'arrogant' comments from Hill. Chesterfield beat us.

Going 'under the radar' works for Hilly and the players, he's said it several times in the past. I don't see any reason why we should look to change that.

"because there are a lot of clubs below us spending a lot more money than us who would love to be in our position"

Sure Ranieri made the same comments to the Foxes last season. There's only a glass ceiling if you sit there admiring the view above. If you break through it, the sky's the limit.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

New Chief Exec... on 17:07 - Aug 3 with 2014 viewsrochedale

Positive comment from a Monkey Hanger mate...

'I must admit I was surprised to see him get another job so soon after his reasons for leaving us!

Great guy Russ. Done a lot of good work at HUFC especially on the commercial side. He is a good appointment for Rochdale so you won’t be disappointed.

One of your old boys Lewis Alessandra has had a good pre season for us.'

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

New Chief Exec... on 17:19 - Aug 3 with 1993 viewsAtThePeake

New Chief Exec... on 16:39 - Aug 3 by DaleiLama

"because there are a lot of clubs below us spending a lot more money than us who would love to be in our position"

Sure Ranieri made the same comments to the Foxes last season. There's only a glass ceiling if you sit there admiring the view above. If you break through it, the sky's the limit.

As I said, promotion should be the aim, definitely, and I have no doubt that it is.

I'm just worried after Leicester and Burton's exploits last year that it could become less of an aim and more of an expectation and that's pressure that the players and manager don't need or deserve.

Tangled up in blue.

New Chief Exec... on 17:37 - Aug 3 with 1954 views442Dale

New Chief Exec... on 17:07 - Aug 3 by rochedale

Positive comment from a Monkey Hanger mate...

'I must admit I was surprised to see him get another job so soon after his reasons for leaving us!

Great guy Russ. Done a lot of good work at HUFC especially on the commercial side. He is a good appointment for Rochdale so you won’t be disappointed.

One of your old boys Lewis Alessandra has had a good pre season for us.'

He's got a good reputation and it bodes well. Certainly a football person.

Not a clue who that Alesansssanderrarara is though.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

New Chief Exec... on 17:45 - Aug 3 with 1933 viewsScunnydale

New Chief Exec... on 17:19 - Aug 3 by AtThePeake

As I said, promotion should be the aim, definitely, and I have no doubt that it is.

I'm just worried after Leicester and Burton's exploits last year that it could become less of an aim and more of an expectation and that's pressure that the players and manager don't need or deserve.

While we can and should dream about promotion, it's up to us to keep this expectation away from the players and managers.

I think we all want to have a bash at the Championship, but we must remember we have no divine right to beat anyone in this or any other league. We castigate other teams for their "it's only Rochdale" comments and quite rightly. Any team can beat any other team and while we know we're a decent side, we have to remember that we could easily lose both times to the team that finishes bottom, and also do the double over the team who finishes top.

There's peaks and troughs to the season. We'll win games we shouldn't and we lose games we shouldn't. If we win more games than we draw or lose, let's not get too carried away too early! Likewise if that's flip-reversed.

I've also chatted to a Pools supporter who rated Russ Green, so here's hoping!
New Chief Exec... on 18:51 - Aug 3 with 1827 viewsdingdangblue

New Chief Exec... on 17:45 - Aug 3 by Scunnydale

While we can and should dream about promotion, it's up to us to keep this expectation away from the players and managers.

I think we all want to have a bash at the Championship, but we must remember we have no divine right to beat anyone in this or any other league. We castigate other teams for their "it's only Rochdale" comments and quite rightly. Any team can beat any other team and while we know we're a decent side, we have to remember that we could easily lose both times to the team that finishes bottom, and also do the double over the team who finishes top.

There's peaks and troughs to the season. We'll win games we shouldn't and we lose games we shouldn't. If we win more games than we draw or lose, let's not get too carried away too early! Likewise if that's flip-reversed.

I've also chatted to a Pools supporter who rated Russ Green, so here's hoping!

Agreed, look at the opening 3 league games . We could easily play well and lose to Peterborough on Saturday ( they've had a decent pre season beating both Leeds and Brentford) - then we have 2 hugely difficult away trips to 2 clubs we've never beaten away in the league in Sheffield United and Port Vale. We could have 0 points out of 9. On the other hand we could win all 3! Ain't football great.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

New Chief Exec... on 19:54 - Aug 3 with 1733 viewsTalkingSutty

New Chief Exec... on 16:16 - Aug 3 by AtThePeake

OK, I'll give you that one. The televised games against Wigan and bury when he suggested Dale fans where envious and highlighted Carrington etc are what spring to mind. We performed as though we where in awe of them also, in front of a televised audience. Let ourselves big time and didn't do ourselves justice.

The so called bigger Clubs like Bolton , Sheff Utd, Coventry etc mean nothing to me as a run of the mill Football fan. They spent obscene amounts of money that they never had and lorded it in the Premiership and Championship and are now reaping their rewards. Was it nearly 300 Million pounds of debt Bolton was bankrolled to the tune of ? Give Keith Hill that money and see how far he can take Rochdale, it took Wigan all the way to the Premiership and Europe. We should stop getting all starry eyed and get stuck into them from the first whistle instead of bloody eulogising about how lucky we are to be on the same pitch as them. It's Wimpish behaviour and they deserve no respect whatsoever, why should they?
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 19:57]
New Chief Exec... on 00:08 - Aug 4 with 1555 viewsAtThePeake

New Chief Exec... on 19:54 - Aug 3 by TalkingSutty

OK, I'll give you that one. The televised games against Wigan and bury when he suggested Dale fans where envious and highlighted Carrington etc are what spring to mind. We performed as though we where in awe of them also, in front of a televised audience. Let ourselves big time and didn't do ourselves justice.

The so called bigger Clubs like Bolton , Sheff Utd, Coventry etc mean nothing to me as a run of the mill Football fan. They spent obscene amounts of money that they never had and lorded it in the Premiership and Championship and are now reaping their rewards. Was it nearly 300 Million pounds of debt Bolton was bankrolled to the tune of ? Give Keith Hill that money and see how far he can take Rochdale, it took Wigan all the way to the Premiership and Europe. We should stop getting all starry eyed and get stuck into them from the first whistle instead of bloody eulogising about how lucky we are to be on the same pitch as them. It's Wimpish behaviour and they deserve no respect whatsoever, why should they?
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 19:57]

Those matches you point out were disappointing, but there have been several occasions where Hilly has said pre-match very envious or complimentary things about the opponents and then we've gone out and stuffed them. Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Charlton, Portsmouth, Coventry, Southampton, Nottingham Forest, Leeds, and indeed Bury a few months after the disappointing FA Cup game just to name a few.

As I say, I think what Hill says in the media and what he says to the players are two very different things and with good reason. The two matches you pointed out were very disappointing and particularly so because they were televised, but it's not a case of us being in awe and rolling over every time we play one of these so-called bigger clubs - far from it. Perhaps the occasion got to them in those games due to the TV cameras?

Personally as I said in my last post I think Hilly gets all starry-eyed as you put it to give us a psychological edge. It makes the opposition think they should turn up and roll us over because we're only little Rochdale, but how many times does that actually happen on the pitch? Aside from the couple of matches you've mentioned (you can't win every game!), not many. More often than not we go out and match these teams pound for pound and very often beat them.

Tangled up in blue.

New Chief Exec... on 07:38 - Aug 4 with 1498 viewsTalkingSutty

New Chief Exec... on 00:08 - Aug 4 by AtThePeake

Those matches you point out were disappointing, but there have been several occasions where Hilly has said pre-match very envious or complimentary things about the opponents and then we've gone out and stuffed them. Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Charlton, Portsmouth, Coventry, Southampton, Nottingham Forest, Leeds, and indeed Bury a few months after the disappointing FA Cup game just to name a few.

As I say, I think what Hill says in the media and what he says to the players are two very different things and with good reason. The two matches you pointed out were very disappointing and particularly so because they were televised, but it's not a case of us being in awe and rolling over every time we play one of these so-called bigger clubs - far from it. Perhaps the occasion got to them in those games due to the TV cameras?

Personally as I said in my last post I think Hilly gets all starry-eyed as you put it to give us a psychological edge. It makes the opposition think they should turn up and roll us over because we're only little Rochdale, but how many times does that actually happen on the pitch? Aside from the couple of matches you've mentioned (you can't win every game!), not many. More often than not we go out and match these teams pound for pound and very often beat them.

I get what you are saying and I know Hill is playing mind games but there's no team in League One who we can't beat and there never as been. These so called bigger teams look at our final League positions over the last 2 seasons and know they are in for a hard game, I don't buy into the theory they view us as 'it's only little old Rochdale'

Its probably just me but I prefer to make the opposition know that we don't have any inferiority complex and neither do the Supporters, without crossing the line of being too cocky. The size and infrastructure of these Clubs means nothing because when you scratch under the surface they are up to their eyeballs in debt, that's why they find themselves in the lower leagues.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 7:40]
New Chief Exec... on 09:43 - Aug 4 with 1399 viewsTomRAFC

Seems like we have a good new chief exec and I think play offs is a realistic aim for us once we get up and running.

My real concern is squad depth. One of two injuries and we could struggle.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

New Chief Exec... on 10:13 - Aug 4 with 1358 viewsTalkingSutty

New Chief Exec... on 09:43 - Aug 4 by TomRAFC

Seems like we have a good new chief exec and I think play offs is a realistic aim for us once we get up and running.

My real concern is squad depth. One of two injuries and we could struggle.

Haven't got a clue where we will finish. It could be down near the bottom or up near the top, that's what makes it exciting. I know there's no fear factor with this league anymore though, we know we are more than capable.

Staying in League One is the main goal though isn't it?
New Chief Exec... on 14:09 - Aug 4 with 1211 views49thseason

New Chief Exec... on 07:38 - Aug 4 by TalkingSutty

I get what you are saying and I know Hill is playing mind games but there's no team in League One who we can't beat and there never as been. These so called bigger teams look at our final League positions over the last 2 seasons and know they are in for a hard game, I don't buy into the theory they view us as 'it's only little old Rochdale'

Its probably just me but I prefer to make the opposition know that we don't have any inferiority complex and neither do the Supporters, without crossing the line of being too cocky. The size and infrastructure of these Clubs means nothing because when you scratch under the surface they are up to their eyeballs in debt, that's why they find themselves in the lower leagues.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2016 7:40]

You may well be right about the respect other clubs have for Rochdale, but the simple fact is that deep in the psychology of players at other clubs is the feeling that Rochdale will be one of their easier games. This has been bred into them over lots of years from their first awareness of club league positions and no amount of managerial tub-thumping is going to change their innermost mindset.
Unfortunately, we as a club have also been brought up not to expect too much. The trick that Keith Hill has to perform each week is to do nothing that gives our opponents an alternative narrative, hence the "Respectful attitude", "big club" etc.when talking about our opponents and the "us against the world" mindset to ensure our players go into each game with "no fear" .
I don't for a minute imagine that Keith actually believes much of what he says in public as far as other teams are concerned, but he will use any "edge" he can find to ensure the result favours Rochdale. If that includes some flattery that relaxes the opposition by 1% he will be delighted to do it every week.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024