Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Window Cleaners out there? 19:19 - Sep 12 with 43848 viewsmilly

Just bought two very large rounds in Royton and Oldham.Need 4 persons on each round.Everything supplied.Non stop work Mon-Fri.£10 Per hour.Lots of shops and workplaces as well as houses.
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 13:16 - Sep 13 with 2422 viewsmilly

Surely it is up to me how i choose to spend my hard earned money.No silver spoon involved just very hard work building up a family business.
Im not ripping anyone off because all my unskilled labour earn £10 per hour in both the window and building business's.Not many fork that out for unskilled.
If anything,im too generous as most would pay around £7 per hour unskilled.

Like i say,hard graft has earned me the right to expand into a window cleaning business.I only wish i could have started up for free like as been suggested but in the here and now rounds have to be bought whether people like it or not.

There will come a time when i can restructure prices etc but i need to get back the initial outlay first and foremost.So,for now at least,No bargain basement cleans,just reasonable prices.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 13:35]
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 13:49 - Sep 13 with 2340 viewsdingdangblue

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 12:43 - Sep 13 by milly

Still be back to square one though.Even if a guy started a round,im sure he would sell it on retirement or relocating etc.He would not give it away,therefore full circle yet again.
According to my nephews they say,"piss easy for a tenner an hour".Maybe im offering too generous an amount.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 12:47]

I wouldn't want my windows cleaned by someone who thinks its 'piss easy' work - Id want them to put some graft into it.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 14:03 - Sep 13 with 2304 viewsD_Alien

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 13:16 - Sep 13 by milly

Surely it is up to me how i choose to spend my hard earned money.No silver spoon involved just very hard work building up a family business.
Im not ripping anyone off because all my unskilled labour earn £10 per hour in both the window and building business's.Not many fork that out for unskilled.
If anything,im too generous as most would pay around £7 per hour unskilled.

Like i say,hard graft has earned me the right to expand into a window cleaning business.I only wish i could have started up for free like as been suggested but in the here and now rounds have to be bought whether people like it or not.

There will come a time when i can restructure prices etc but i need to get back the initial outlay first and foremost.So,for now at least,No bargain basement cleans,just reasonable prices.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 13:35]

Nowt wrong with hard work, enterprise, making a profit, enjoying the good life as a result - it's what makes the world go round (as well as 'the other')

What is wrong is thinking that you, or anyone, owns the right to clean windows exclusively, and many who think like you do use violent protectionist methods to enforce what they think is their "right"

You don't own that right simply because you've paid money over to a previous racketeer. No-one owns the right to clean windows, any more than they own the air that their customers breathe. And that includes individual window cleaners who retire.

[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 15:32]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 16:07 - Sep 13 with 2196 viewsjudd

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 14:03 - Sep 13 by D_Alien

Nowt wrong with hard work, enterprise, making a profit, enjoying the good life as a result - it's what makes the world go round (as well as 'the other')

What is wrong is thinking that you, or anyone, owns the right to clean windows exclusively, and many who think like you do use violent protectionist methods to enforce what they think is their "right"

You don't own that right simply because you've paid money over to a previous racketeer. No-one owns the right to clean windows, any more than they own the air that their customers breathe. And that includes individual window cleaners who retire.

To be fair, when buying a "round" you are not actually buying anything other than perceived goodwill, ie that the customer base will remain at least loyal.

No customer is contracted - domestically at least - to a window cleaner who has bought a "round" and is free to engage another window cleaner, do it themselves, leave it etc.

Many window cleaners will honour the "rounds" of others within their trade, such as many businesses will often not take on competitors in certain customers because it can leave you open to losing better work elsewhere, becoming unprofitable etc.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 16:55 - Sep 13 with 2127 viewsmilly

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 14:03 - Sep 13 by D_Alien

When did i say i own the right? My initial post was asking if any people wanted work.Its most of you who have turned this around.Maybe the reason being you are workshy so try and make sure others wont work,just a thought.
Like judd states,im only buying trust and could end up losing customers and there is nothing i could do.

Basically,ive paid around £170 per customer and in theory,they could cancel their clean. So,unlike most other businesses who would be covered under a breach of contract,a round is not as obviously no contract.. So,the money i invested could just go in an instant but its the chance i took.Then you say its me ripping people off.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 17:21]
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 16:59 - Sep 13 with 2086 views442Dale

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 16:55 - Sep 13 by milly

When did i say i own the right? My initial post was asking if any people wanted work.Its most of you who have turned this around.Maybe the reason being you are workshy so try and make sure others wont work,just a thought.
Like judd states,im only buying trust and could end up losing customers and there is nothing i could do.

Basically,ive paid around £170 per customer and in theory,they could cancel their clean. So,unlike most other businesses who would be covered under a breach of contract,a round is not as obviously no contract.. So,the money i invested could just go in an instant but its the chance i took.Then you say its me ripping people off.

I think some, not most, of this messageboard's users raised valid questions around the subject. This is one of the real positives of such forums as it encourages debate and improves knowledge.

It's made for interesting reading.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 17:43 - Sep 13 with 2009 viewsD_Alien

I'm semi-retired now, after a lifetime at work. I understand the point judd makes in a wider business context but it's not one you chose to make earlier when you could have done.

You were the first to use the word "violence" when I asked what you'd do if someone tried to take customers off you. Doesn't that tell you something about the business you've chosen to involve yourself in?

You've now repeated your previous accusation on this forum about users being workshy, possibly meaning myself. You're buying trust, eh? No wonder you're paying over the odds.

[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 18:04]

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 17:47 - Sep 13 with 1993 viewsmilly

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 17:43 - Sep 13 by D_Alien

I'm semi-retired now, after a lifetime at work. I understand the point judd makes in a wider business context but it's not one you chose to make earlier when you could have done.

You were the first to use the word "violence" when I asked what you'd do if someone tried to take customers off you. Doesn't that tell you something about the business you've chosen to involve yourself in?

You've now repeated your previous accusation on this forum about users being workshy, possibly meaning myself. You're buying trust, eh? No wonder you're paying over the odds.

[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 18:04]

Not paying over the odds.most rounds now sell at nearly 30times the takings.Ive paid the going rate whether i like it or not.Wont see any profit for a while but i knew that beforehand.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 17:51]
Login to get fewer ads

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 18:16 - Sep 13 with 1935 viewsD_Alien

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 17:47 - Sep 13 by milly

Not paying over the odds.most rounds now sell at nearly 30times the takings.Ive paid the going rate whether i like it or not.Wont see any profit for a while but i knew that beforehand.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 17:51]

Well we know a fair bit more about the business model now. If users of this forum are thinking of taking up your offer of work, they've got more information to help them decide.

If they choose not to, I wouldn't assume it's because they're workshy. Maybe they'd just be wary about getting involved that type of business. Thanks for your time.

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 18:17 - Sep 13 with 1935 viewsTVOS1907

I reckon most, if not all, posters on here already have jobs or are retired.

You've tried the 'workshy' line before. Just waiting for a comment about attendances and it will be Groundhog Day.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 18:25 - Sep 13 with 1916 viewsmilly

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 18:16 - Sep 13 by D_Alien

Well we know a fair bit more about the business model now. If users of this forum are thinking of taking up your offer of work, they've got more information to help them decide.

If they choose not to, I wouldn't assume it's because they're workshy. Maybe they'd just be wary about getting involved that type of business. Thanks for your time.

All business models hope to make a profit.Only then can the business revaluate.One thing for sure,once the rounds start to make a profit,it will be to the good of my 8 workers as well as myself.
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 18:56 - Sep 13 with 1872 viewsboffley

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 18:25 - Sep 13 by milly

All business models hope to make a profit.Only then can the business revaluate.One thing for sure,once the rounds start to make a profit,it will be to the good of my 8 workers as well as myself.

Milly ----please accept a few words of advice given with no edge or no axe to grind. I do hope your new business venture is a success, but ;--

1 Do you really understand the difference between capital and revenue expenditure? Your business WILL make a profit from day one!! Some quite spectacular bankruptcies have taken place because people have misunderstood the difference between profit and cash flow. or between capital and revenue expenditure.

2 From some of your replies I would strongly advise you to take advice on the difference between employing an individual and giving a self employed person work. The boundary is not as straightforwards as it might seem and can be an extremely costly exercise if it is not applied correctly.

3 On a different note Dee Thai at Hale was given a hygiene rating of 1 out of 5 by Trafford Borough Council a few months ago so I hope you are feeling OK after your meal yersterday.
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:13 - Sep 13 with 1833 viewsmilly

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 18:56 - Sep 13 by boffley

Milly ----please accept a few words of advice given with no edge or no axe to grind. I do hope your new business venture is a success, but ;--

1 Do you really understand the difference between capital and revenue expenditure? Your business WILL make a profit from day one!! Some quite spectacular bankruptcies have taken place because people have misunderstood the difference between profit and cash flow. or between capital and revenue expenditure.

2 From some of your replies I would strongly advise you to take advice on the difference between employing an individual and giving a self employed person work. The boundary is not as straightforwards as it might seem and can be an extremely costly exercise if it is not applied correctly.

3 On a different note Dee Thai at Hale was given a hygiene rating of 1 out of 5 by Trafford Borough Council a few months ago so I hope you are feeling OK after your meal yersterday.

Not always the case,building company never made a clear profit for around 6 months,it ran at a loss.Even the IR put it on the lower rate and not buisness rate tax to try and help the situation..Had it not been for a family member shoving some funds in,it would have ended as soon as it had started.
As for the window cleaning,maybe i should have worded it better by saying when i get my outlay back,it will be clear profit on profit then.
last time i looked,DT had a 4.
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:22 - Sep 13 with 1810 viewsClivert

Perhaps you could have spent the day cleaning a few windows today instead of wasting a working day posting on here, it would have been a good way to start your new venture plus your new customers would have got to meet you in person - you can't buy that sort of goodwill.
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:35 - Sep 13 with 1795 viewsmilly

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:22 - Sep 13 by Clivert

Perhaps you could have spent the day cleaning a few windows today instead of wasting a working day posting on here, it would have been a good way to start your new venture plus your new customers would have got to meet you in person - you can't buy that sort of goodwill.

Cant be in 2 places at once.The building company will always be the one that takes my time.Its the lads on the round who will be getting to know the customers and rightly so.It is in the capable hands of my nephews.Thats the beauty of a round,you dont need to be hands on unlike most buisness's.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 19:45]
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:48 - Sep 13 with 1770 views442Dale

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 10:17 - Sep 13 by milly

Not got 8 people as yet.Only 4 working at the moment.The Royton round is mainly houses with a few shops,which my relatives have already done which takes up 2 week from start to finish so,it is ongoing but had to explain to the customers that it will be a 3 weekly clean until further notice (to give me time to find the full labour.)
They started the Oldham round yesterday,which is mainly the factory work with a few houses thrown in.So,indeed,it is your figures that are out and not mine.As for doing nothing,thats the perk for owning the business.I work very hard though in the family building business.
When i say 2 window rounds,it was 5 rounds i purchased but ive split up into the 2 big rounds.Nephews out of work? They work very hard in the building business but offered to do the window rounds until i get the new team in.Like i say,they are enjoying it so much its looking like they will carry on and it is the building business where i will need the 2 labourers.

Did you purchase all 5 rounds at the same time?

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:48 - Sep 13 with 1769 viewsClivert

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:35 - Sep 13 by milly

Cant be in 2 places at once.The building company will always be the one that takes my time.Its the lads on the round who will be getting to know the customers and rightly so.It is in the capable hands of my nephews.Thats the beauty of a round,you dont need to be hands on unlike most buisness's.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 19:45]

I'm assuming not much got built today then.
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:49 - Sep 13 with 1761 viewsmilly

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:48 - Sep 13 by Clivert

I'm assuming not much got built today then.

Quite a lot got done actually.I have a great set of workers.Might be a blessing in disguise that nobody on here wants to work because you may bring my businesses down.Seem very lazy to me and wanting things for nothing. Try working then you could holiday like me and have a top range car.you have to work for them though,they just dont appear.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 20:03]
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 20:04 - Sep 13 with 1723 viewsArthurDaley

Surely in this day and age you should be advertising for a vision technician .

A large VAT Dave

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 20:12 - Sep 13 with 1708 views442Dale

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:49 - Sep 13 by milly

Quite a lot got done actually.I have a great set of workers.Might be a blessing in disguise that nobody on here wants to work because you may bring my businesses down.Seem very lazy to me and wanting things for nothing. Try working then you could holiday like me and have a top range car.you have to work for them though,they just dont appear.

Who appears lazy?

Nobody wants to work? Who?

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 20:15 - Sep 13 with 1701 viewsTVOS1907

What if everyone on here has a job and your offer is if no interest?

It's a simple question.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 20:26 - Sep 13 with 1672 viewsD_Alien

So much for people wishing you well, and giving you the benefit of the doubt.

It's a blessing in disguise that you don't visit your customers on the round. You might get away with that attitude in the building trade but you wouldn't last two minutes in a professional environment.

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 20:29 - Sep 13 with 1661 viewsClivert

PMSL.

Hope you have a more fruitful day at work tomorrow as pissing about on Internet message boards isn't what I would describe as a busy days work.

It's tough at the top though isn't it!
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 20:32 - Sep 13 with 1651 viewsboffley

Any Window Cleaners out there? on 19:13 - Sep 13 by milly

Not always the case,building company never made a clear profit for around 6 months,it ran at a loss.Even the IR put it on the lower rate and not buisness rate tax to try and help the situation..Had it not been for a family member shoving some funds in,it would have ended as soon as it had started.
As for the window cleaning,maybe i should have worded it better by saying when i get my outlay back,it will be clear profit on profit then.
last time i looked,DT had a 4.

Your understanding of business basics is worrying. The fact that a family member "shoved some funds in" has nothing to do with profit----it is to do with cash flow and there is a very very important difference. Misunderstand them at your peril sir. For example if I pay £100 for a business and spend £5 in wages and overheads on the first job for which I charge the client £8 then my business has made £3 profit irrespective of the fact that I have £97 less in my pocket than when I started.

You use the terms "clear profit " and "profit on profit" . What an earth do you mean? Profit is profit ---just that.

Are you intending to pay workers on a self employed basis. If so I would be very worried by the fact that you have put into print early in this thread "everything supplied". The revenue apply several tests to determine whether or not someone is employed or self employed the first being whether materials, tools etc are supplied or whether individuals supply their own. There are other criteria including whether individuals are directed how and where to work or whether they make those decisions themselves. If you want to know more I would be happy to advise but I doubt whether (despite your cars and holidays) you could afford my consultancy fees.

The last time I looked at DT's rating (5 minutes ago on Traffords web site) it was still a 1
Any Window Cleaners out there? on 20:52 - Sep 13 with 1589 viewsdingdangblue

Have you ever thought of investing in a football club? There's a cracking one down the road from us. With your business knowledge and superb personal skills they'll love you.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2016 20:54]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024