Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gracie Fields statue 12:09 - Sep 17 with 6950 viewsColDale

Waste of money or worthwhile tribute?

I'm all for honouring the heroes but in 2016 Rochdale, she's practically irrelevant
Gracie Fields statue on 12:16 - Sep 17 with 4737 views442Dale

The paved area it's on has tarmac in one corner, did they run out of paving slabs? It looks rubbish.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gracie Fields statue on 12:19 - Sep 17 with 4726 viewsNinco

Depends how it was paid for I suppose. If it's come from a lottery grant or something, then we may as well claim the money and use it to tart the town centre up a bit, but if it's come out of council money, while we are being told that everything is being cut back and they can't afford to empty our bins as often etc, then I would say that the money should have been used elsewhere instead of unnecessary things.
Gracie Fields statue on 12:35 - Sep 17 with 4697 viewsmilly

Better things to put money towards than a statue.
Gracie Fields statue on 12:36 - Sep 17 with 4691 viewsTVOS1907

Gracie Fields statue on 12:35 - Sep 17 by milly

They'll probably need someone to clean it.

Why not ask one of those relatives you have such low regard for?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Gracie Fields statue on 12:38 - Sep 17 with 4682 viewsmilly

Every two bit person seems to have a statue.She was no better than my deceased dad.
Gracie Fields statue on 12:39 - Sep 17 with 4669 viewsTVOS1907

Gracie Fields statue on 12:38 - Sep 17 by milly

Every two bit person seems to have a statue.She was no better than my deceased dad.

Why, was he Robert Peel?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Gracie Fields statue on 12:41 - Sep 17 with 4662 viewsdingdangblue

Better if it was a Keith Hill statue.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Gracie Fields statue on 15:04 - Sep 17 with 4479 viewsDaleiLama

She got bigger crowds than Dale

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Login to get fewer ads

Gracie Fields statue on 22:44 - Sep 17 with 4230 viewsToffeemanc

Gracie Fields statue on 12:35 - Sep 17 by milly

Like an overdue HMRC Bill?

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Gracie Fields statue on 11:40 - Sep 18 with 4045 viewsraadale

Paid for by a collection of local businesses apparently so all for it. Agree about the tarmac amateurish as per usual.
Gracie Fields statue on 12:36 - Sep 18 with 3987 viewsSuddenLad

It's hard to realise just how big a star Gracie Fields was. She was as famous in her day as anyone in the world of entertainment today. She was consistently the world's highest paid entertainer, earning the equivalent of many millions of pounds.

She was born here. She is part of our heritage so we should recognise her contribution not only to Rochdale, but to the world of entertainment and her role as a national icon. . Money well spent, wherever the funding is from.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Gracie Fields statue on 13:21 - Sep 18 with 3931 viewsD_Alien

Gracie Fields statue on 12:36 - Sep 18 by SuddenLad

It's hard to realise just how big a star Gracie Fields was. She was as famous in her day as anyone in the world of entertainment today. She was consistently the world's highest paid entertainer, earning the equivalent of many millions of pounds.

She was born here. She is part of our heritage so we should recognise her contribution not only to Rochdale, but to the world of entertainment and her role as a national icon. . Money well spent, wherever the funding is from.

I agree. Although a bit belated, why on earth shouldn't we celebrate someone who brought such positive publicity to the town. Many people the world over who'd never have heard of Rochdale know of it - in a good way - through her fame. For any youngsters out there - think Taylor Swift.

Gracie was a bit before my time and her music/acting not to my taste, but that's irrelevant.

The unveiling has made the main BBC News website, which tells you a lot in this age of woeful news stories

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-37382788

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gracie Fields statue on 13:44 - Sep 18 with 3888 viewsmikehunt

But, if certain stories are to be believed, she didn't care about Rochdale. Refused an invitation to attend some big civic function saying, "What has Rochdale ever done for me?"
So she can stuff off from that regard.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Gracie Fields statue on 13:54 - Sep 18 with 3868 viewsolympicdale

She is what Rochdale is known for, I've nothing against it, though it has taken an eternity to have any sort of proper memorial.

Life is a game of fate.

Gracie Fields statue on 13:56 - Sep 18 with 3866 viewsD_Alien

Gracie Fields statue on 13:44 - Sep 18 by mikehunt

But, if certain stories are to be believed, she didn't care about Rochdale. Refused an invitation to attend some big civic function saying, "What has Rochdale ever done for me?"

How typical.

Someone who makes a name for themselves on the world stage, declines an invitation. Small-minded people take umbrage.

It's precisely that type of attitude she recognised whilst growing up here. She came back often enough, and she owed us nothing.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gracie Fields statue on 14:30 - Sep 18 with 3830 viewsR17ALE

Gracie Fields statue on 13:44 - Sep 18 by mikehunt

Certain stories were peddled which weren't really true due to her stepping out with some Itie during the war I think.

Nevertheless, she was well aware that her popularity ratings had slumped in England. Hence her opening song on her debut performance after the war was the specially written "Take me to your hearts again".

Her Dresser (old word for stylist) used to live in the house right behind the petrol station's car wash on bury Road. My Mum lived opposite and every time Gracie was in Rochdale she'd rock up on Battersby Street to visit said dresser and have pictures taken with the Half Acre locals etc. My Mum still has a picture of them both (signed by Gracie) amongst other signed memorabilia.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Gracie Fields statue on 17:23 - Sep 18 with 3693 viewsroccydaleian

Gracie Fields statue on 18:29 - Sep 18 with 3614 viewsrobtheb

Gracie Fields statue on 13:56 - Sep 18 by D_Alien

How typical.

Someone who makes a name for themselves on the world stage, declines an invitation. Small-minded people take umbrage.

It's precisely that type of attitude she recognised whilst growing up here. She came back often enough, and she owed us nothing.

G
Gracie Fields statue on 18:38 - Sep 18 with 3588 viewsrobtheb

Gracie Fields statue on 13:56 - Sep 18 by D_Alien

How typical.

Try again.....Gracie retuned to the town in 1978, I think it was, to officially open The Gracie Fields Theatre and the shopping centre.
Had the fortune to be working on the concert and met her. She was very down to earth and pleased to have been asked back. Me and the other guys spent some time chatting to her.
Give credit were credit due even though she did have her critics.
Gracie Fields statue on 18:56 - Sep 18 with 3558 viewsDaley_Lama

A rescue deal of Tata Steel is underway as Stewie Day has proposed a steel version of Bury's biggest star of stage and screen outside the PC World.

Poll: DF in or out

Gracie Fields statue on 21:38 - Sep 18 with 3364 viewsCamdenDale

Good grief and FFS - any other town. There's some right jeremiahs on here.

It's a statue you haven't paid for of Rochdale's global superstar and we have complaints about some tarmac, her buggering off to foreign parts and money better spent on emptying bins. Negativity capital of the world.

What are you on? Let me know and I'll avoid it.
Gracie Fields statue on 21:50 - Sep 18 with 3340 views442Dale

Gracie Fields statue on 21:38 - Sep 18 by CamdenDale

Good grief and FFS - any other town. There's some right jeremiahs on here.

It's a statue you haven't paid for of Rochdale's global superstar and we have complaints about some tarmac, her buggering off to foreign parts and money better spent on emptying bins. Negativity capital of the world.

What are you on? Let me know and I'll avoid it.

The tarmac looks rubbish. No further issues than that. Is it wrong to comment on half a job?

Gracie Fields statue on 21:59 - Sep 18 with 3315 viewsCamdenDale

Gracie Fields statue on 21:50 - Sep 18 by 442Dale

The tarmac looks rubbish. No further issues than that. Is it wrong to comment on half a job?

No, it's not 'wrong' to comment on something not well done 442, however insignificant that particular thing in any sense of the bigger picture. 'No further issues'. A relief there then.
Gracie Fields statue on 22:04 - Sep 18 with 3294 views442Dale

Gracie Fields statue on 21:59 - Sep 18 by CamdenDale

No, it's not 'wrong' to comment on something not well done 442, however insignificant that particular thing in any sense of the bigger picture. 'No further issues'. A relief there then.

I wasn't that bothered about the statue, more they could have done it and the whole area a better service by finishing it properly.

Gracie Fields statue on 22:23 - Sep 18 with 3271 viewsCamdenDale

All good 442.

Look, more generally, I have some issues about the town I still love, probably not best served aired on a club forum about a statue, but does ultimately, to my mind, have a bearing on the club.

It's this is a kernel - for every one bod trying to do anything for the town there's ten saying it will never work, or is a waste of money. Seeing 'something nasty in the woodshed' and giving up. This is circular in nature and has been in effect now for thirty years or more.

There are some proper stand up men and women trying in recent years to give resuscitation and they're kicked at every turn. But those small number will prevail and you/we will get a better Rochdale whether you like, or can even see it, or not.

Yes I live in London.
Wtf do I know.
Yatta yatta.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024