Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Venue 09:42 - Jan 23 with 3238 viewsdingdangblue

For the Hornets friendly next weekend.

http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/News/Article/48064

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

New Venue on 18:23 - Jan 23 with 1613 viewsClivert

New Venue on 18:17 - Jan 23 by ColDale

It actually looked to my very much untrained eye that the covers had been left on too long.

We've seen in recent years that the pitch when properly looked after can cope with both codes playing on it. It survived last winter when we had the all the floods in the town, so last week's game (when undoubtedly we'd have gone ahead with a game) should not have been an issue when the weather hasn't been too bad.

Agree with the comment about the heavy roller being needed which made me suspect the covers had been left on preventing normal pitch treatment.

I'm untrained also but after being told that the covers were left off on Friday night and then seeing the state that the pitch was in on arrival at Spotland I thought that slight frost we had overnight may have done the damage.

I agree that in recent seasons that the pitch has still looked great once we've reached March and April when the rugby has been underway, in fact the season we got relegated it still looked as it did in the August (the fat lot of good it did us!).
New Venue on 19:21 - Jan 23 with 1522 viewsTVOS1907

New Venue on 17:50 - Jan 23 by 1907

It's about working together. How were the first two replies in this thread productive to future relationships?

I don't think a couple of fans having messageboard banter is going to affect relationships between the clubs.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

New Venue on 21:00 - Jan 23 with 1378 viewsmingthemerciless

New Venue on 18:23 - Jan 23 by Clivert

I'm untrained also but after being told that the covers were left off on Friday night and then seeing the state that the pitch was in on arrival at Spotland I thought that slight frost we had overnight may have done the damage.

I agree that in recent seasons that the pitch has still looked great once we've reached March and April when the rugby has been underway, in fact the season we got relegated it still looked as it did in the August (the fat lot of good it did us!).

Anybody who's ever played on a pitch that is in the process of thawing out after a frost will know just how soft they become.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2017 22:00]
New Venue on 21:27 - Jan 23 with 1329 viewsrobtheb

New Venue on 16:30 - Jan 23 by 49thseason

The pitch had been cut but it looked like a heavier roller was needed. Ideally, they should have given it a decent rolling after the Hornets game too. I guess the usual January order for sand will be due for delivery any day soon. Did anyone notice if the pitch was watered pre-match?

Got to the ground around 2.30pm on Saturday and didn't see the sprinklers on unless they were used before 2.30.

They certainly didn't come on at half time because those that take part in the half time challenge usually get pi..ed through, as do the ball boys/girls when the line up before the teams are due to come out.
New Venue on 10:39 - Jan 24 with 1085 viewsParkinsGimp

New Venue on 16:42 - Jan 23 by mingthemerciless

I'm not bitter. I just fell out of love with football like plenty of other people my age in spite of being a fanatical fan and player in days gone by.

I agree about the sourness of all the money in football etc , but surely you cannot take sides with Hornets who regularly stuffed us over payments of rent, and I believe training on the pitch as well as using floodlights whilst doing so. We are not a club that can afford to have a leech on our back, and unfortunately Hornets was that leech for so many years.
I love Rugby League and happy with the progress Hornets have made and the tie up with The Wolves but I do hope they continue to honour their agreements in future.
New Venue on 11:29 - Jan 24 with 1023 viewsmingthemerciless

New Venue on 10:39 - Jan 24 by ParkinsGimp

I agree about the sourness of all the money in football etc , but surely you cannot take sides with Hornets who regularly stuffed us over payments of rent, and I believe training on the pitch as well as using floodlights whilst doing so. We are not a club that can afford to have a leech on our back, and unfortunately Hornets was that leech for so many years.
I love Rugby League and happy with the progress Hornets have made and the tie up with The Wolves but I do hope they continue to honour their agreements in future.

It's not about taking sides. I, as a fan, had absolutely no control over what courses of action previous administrations at Hornets took. Now we're a cooperative at least I have a voice regarding what happens at the club. I can hold the board members responsible for their actions and if it comes to it, vote them off. I think since the cooperative was established Hornets have behaved in an ethical manner and the relationship between the two clubs is as good as it's ever been.

I used to go up to Spotland regularly to watch the football and I still recall with pleasure great players and terrific games of football I've seen whilst watching the ' Dale. I'm sorry but Football today holds no great attraction for me. The stupid wages since the advent of the Premier League , the diving and cheating, ineffectual refereeing, 4-5-1 style football etc have just done my head in.

I no longer watch football much, even on TV. It's funny but quite a few blokes I see up at Hornets are guys I played football against as a young player. I know they didn't play rugby then, neither did I , but they think the same as I do.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 11:30]
New Venue on 11:54 - Jan 24 with 999 viewsDaleiLama

New Venue on 11:29 - Jan 24 by mingthemerciless

It's not about taking sides. I, as a fan, had absolutely no control over what courses of action previous administrations at Hornets took. Now we're a cooperative at least I have a voice regarding what happens at the club. I can hold the board members responsible for their actions and if it comes to it, vote them off. I think since the cooperative was established Hornets have behaved in an ethical manner and the relationship between the two clubs is as good as it's ever been.

I used to go up to Spotland regularly to watch the football and I still recall with pleasure great players and terrific games of football I've seen whilst watching the ' Dale. I'm sorry but Football today holds no great attraction for me. The stupid wages since the advent of the Premier League , the diving and cheating, ineffectual refereeing, 4-5-1 style football etc have just done my head in.

I no longer watch football much, even on TV. It's funny but quite a few blokes I see up at Hornets are guys I played football against as a young player. I know they didn't play rugby then, neither did I , but they think the same as I do.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2017 11:30]

"I still recall with pleasure great players and terrific games of football I've seen whilst watching the 'Dale"

Then I would whole-heartedly recommend a half ST to you, to try watching the current side.

The games being currently dished up by RAFC are as far from boring as could be imagined and Dale hardly ever draw, so 3 points or an appearance in the next round of a cup almost always goes to the winner (even when we crash and burn like last Saturday).

Some of the football is scintillating and is played the way it should be. At £100, it's still worth a punt on the rest of this season. You never know, you may just get a taste for it again, unless your mind is well and truly made up against. If so, I'll just say you don't know what you're missing!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

New Venue on 12:09 - Jan 24 with 966 viewsD_Alien

New Venue on 11:54 - Jan 24 by DaleiLama

"I still recall with pleasure great players and terrific games of football I've seen whilst watching the 'Dale"

Then I would whole-heartedly recommend a half ST to you, to try watching the current side.

The games being currently dished up by RAFC are as far from boring as could be imagined and Dale hardly ever draw, so 3 points or an appearance in the next round of a cup almost always goes to the winner (even when we crash and burn like last Saturday).

Some of the football is scintillating and is played the way it should be. At £100, it's still worth a punt on the rest of this season. You never know, you may just get a taste for it again, unless your mind is well and truly made up against. If so, I'll just say you don't know what you're missing!

Well said

What's happening with Dale is about as far removed from the excesses of the premier league as it's possible to get, in professional football

ming's entitled to his view, but that view would be more informed if he came and saw

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

New Venue on 12:15 - Jan 24 with 937 viewsDaleiLama

New Venue on 12:09 - Jan 24 by D_Alien

Well said

What's happening with Dale is about as far removed from the excesses of the premier league as it's possible to get, in professional football

ming's entitled to his view, but that view would be more informed if he came and saw

Absolutely - I fully respect everyone's entitlement to their views even if they aren't shared. Everyone should be allowed to make their own mind up. To do that objectively though, as you rightly point out, you have to have an open mind in the first place.

New Venue on 12:52 - Jan 24 with 874 viewsmingthemerciless

Ok the money isn't the same at the 'Dale's level but some of the other things I mentioned are. I do accept and respect your well meant comments. The team Keith Hill has put out is obviously the best footballing side at Spotland since the promotion side of 1969. They were great to watch but like most of the posters on here I've had to watch a lot of rubbish as well over years, I suppose that makes the good times even better when they come around.

Like lots of other fans who walk away you soon find other things to do that may be more pleasurable, less stressful or less expensive . I see my 86 year old mum now on Saturday afternoons, we have a quiet drink and it gets her out of the house. There are other Hornets fans I know who watch both teams, they must have been real gluttons for punishment in the past when both clubs were struggling.
New Venue on 15:22 - Jan 24 with 762 viewsDaleiLama

New Venue on 12:52 - Jan 24 by mingthemerciless

Ok the money isn't the same at the 'Dale's level but some of the other things I mentioned are. I do accept and respect your well meant comments. The team Keith Hill has put out is obviously the best footballing side at Spotland since the promotion side of 1969. They were great to watch but like most of the posters on here I've had to watch a lot of rubbish as well over years, I suppose that makes the good times even better when they come around.

Like lots of other fans who walk away you soon find other things to do that may be more pleasurable, less stressful or less expensive . I see my 86 year old mum now on Saturday afternoons, we have a quiet drink and it gets her out of the house. There are other Hornets fans I know who watch both teams, they must have been real gluttons for punishment in the past when both clubs were struggling.

Fair play to you and good on you for doing right by your mum!

New Venue on 16:13 - Jan 24 with 705 viewsColDale

New Venue on 12:52 - Jan 24 by mingthemerciless

I know its straying off point, but if we are using 1969 as the benchmark, hasn't this current team already surpassed their achievements?
New Venue on 16:51 - Jan 24 with 664 viewsmingthemerciless

New Venue on 16:13 - Jan 24 by ColDale

I know its straying off point, but if we are using 1969 as the benchmark, hasn't this current team already surpassed their achievements?

Yes I would say they probably have now. They've played well at the same level for longer I think. The promotion team and the team that played the next season or two played some great football though, they were a real pleasure to watch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024