Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton 10:17 - May 6 with 4832 viewsSnapper

Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton died peacefully at his home in Leeds on 15 April 2017 at the age of 84 after battling cancer. He was surrounded by family and remained positive until the very end of his life.

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/138/community-news/109883/obituar

www.rochdaleonline.co.uk

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 13:34 - May 6 with 4718 viewsmingthemerciless

He was playing when I first started going up to Spotland. I can't recall much about his playing style now but the goal he got at Blackburn in the League Cup was probably his high point.
[Post edited 6 May 2017 18:32]
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 21:12 - May 6 with 4575 viewsD_Dale

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 13:34 - May 6 by mingthemerciless

He was playing when I first started going up to Spotland. I can't recall much about his playing style now but the goal he got at Blackburn in the League Cup was probably his high point.
[Post edited 6 May 2017 18:32]

He and Ronnie Cairns usually played as inside forwards, small in stature but fairly nippy, who scored a few goals and sought to feed the centre forward. In the league cup final season, 1961-62, the CF was Louis Bimpson, who'd played a fair number of matches for Liverpool (then in division 2).

The manager Tony Collins had quite a good squad that season - Ted Burgin in goal and Stan Milburn and Doug Winton as fullbacks had quite a bit of higher-league experience. Jim Thompson and Ray Aspden were effective defenders and Doug Wragg and Colin Whittaker wingers capable of scoring a few goals. Joe Richardson, who was tragically killed a few years later while working as a lorry driver, played several times.

I wonder how many of those who played in that season are still alive.
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 01:29 - May 7 with 4508 viewsDiddyDave

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 21:12 - May 6 by D_Dale

He and Ronnie Cairns usually played as inside forwards, small in stature but fairly nippy, who scored a few goals and sought to feed the centre forward. In the league cup final season, 1961-62, the CF was Louis Bimpson, who'd played a fair number of matches for Liverpool (then in division 2).

The manager Tony Collins had quite a good squad that season - Ted Burgin in goal and Stan Milburn and Doug Winton as fullbacks had quite a bit of higher-league experience. Jim Thompson and Ray Aspden were effective defenders and Doug Wragg and Colin Whittaker wingers capable of scoring a few goals. Joe Richardson, who was tragically killed a few years later while working as a lorry driver, played several times.

I think Ray Aspden is still alive and living in his native Bolton,but I`d doubt many of the others still would be. I kicked myself for not going to that second leg game at Blackburn,having attended nearly all the other games on Dale`s amazing run to the final. Hepton,Cairns,Richardson,Bimpson,Wragg and Whitaker basically vied for the five forward positions from memory and I think Joe Fletcher might`ve been in the mix as well. We used to call Ronnie Cairns "Curly Boots" because he could always find a way of kicking the ball over the crossbar,often from just about directly under it! Doug Winton belted England`s right winger Brian Douglas at every opportunity in that first leg,full backs were generally real cloggers in those days anyway. Sad to read that about Stan,but it sounded like he had a full and happy life. Rest In Peace Stan.
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 03:23 - May 7 with 4502 viewspioneer

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 01:29 - May 7 by DiddyDave

I think Ray Aspden is still alive and living in his native Bolton,but I`d doubt many of the others still would be. I kicked myself for not going to that second leg game at Blackburn,having attended nearly all the other games on Dale`s amazing run to the final. Hepton,Cairns,Richardson,Bimpson,Wragg and Whitaker basically vied for the five forward positions from memory and I think Joe Fletcher might`ve been in the mix as well. We used to call Ronnie Cairns "Curly Boots" because he could always find a way of kicking the ball over the crossbar,often from just about directly under it! Doug Winton belted England`s right winger Brian Douglas at every opportunity in that first leg,full backs were generally real cloggers in those days anyway. Sad to read that about Stan,but it sounded like he had a full and happy life. Rest In Peace Stan.

Fletcher came into the team towards the end of 1966-7 season.

Sad news...hope the club will have a presence at funeral.
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 07:44 - May 7 with 4480 viewsTVOS1907

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 01:29 - May 7 by DiddyDave

Aspden is alive and kicking in Rochdale.

Ted Burgin was alive and kicking in Blackpool during our Centenary season and we haven't heard of his passing since then.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 11:21 - May 7 with 4371 viewspioneer

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 07:44 - May 7 by TVOS1907

Aspden is alive and kicking in Rochdale.

Ted Burgin was alive and kicking in Blackpool during our Centenary season and we haven't heard of his passing since then.

Ted burgin turned 90 week before last.
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 11:53 - May 7 with 4357 views14bowlers

Ray Aspden lives in Bamford, and has done for a long time now.. He is very active with walking and playing crown green bowls for Broadfield park bowling club .
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 12:19 - May 7 with 4327 viewsmingthemerciless

Louis Bimpson had played in the 1960 Cup Final.
Login to get fewer ads

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 18:34 - May 7 with 4268 viewsmingthemerciless

I just recalled an early memory of Louis Bimpson. He was playing against Southport at Spotland on a heavily sanded pitch. It was 0-0 with about 5 minutes to go when he dived full length to head a bouncing ball into the far corner for the winner. This was right in front of the Sandy. When he landed the impact dislodged his chewing gum. He got to his knees, fished around in the sand, found the gum, and put it back into his mouth !

It's funny the things you remember.
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 20:45 - May 7 with 4197 viewsdavidab2202

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 18:34 - May 7 by mingthemerciless

I just recalled an early memory of Louis Bimpson. He was playing against Southport at Spotland on a heavily sanded pitch. It was 0-0 with about 5 minutes to go when he dived full length to head a bouncing ball into the far corner for the winner. This was right in front of the Sandy. When he landed the impact dislodged his chewing gum. He got to his knees, fished around in the sand, found the gum, and put it back into his mouth !

It's funny the things you remember.

Remember that as well but always thought it was his false teeth he picked up !!!
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 20:52 - May 7 with 4189 viewsdavidab2202

According to wikipedia(if it is to be believed) ,Burgin,Thompson,Wragg and Whyke who played in the Final are certainly still alive and definitely Ray Aspden is still alive
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 21:23 - May 7 with 4172 viewsmingthemerciless

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 20:45 - May 7 by davidab2202

Remember that as well but always thought it was his false teeth he picked up !!!

Would players play in false teeth then ? Nobby Stiles certainly didn't.
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 22:06 - May 7 with 4131 viewsdavidab2202

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 21:23 - May 7 by mingthemerciless

Would players play in false teeth then ? Nobby Stiles certainly didn't.

Just assumed it was his teeth,never thought about chewing gum,perhaps because Mother thought it "common " to chew gum and always disapproved if I ever bought any.My how the world has changed
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 23:58 - May 9 with 3933 viewskiwidale

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 22:06 - May 7 by davidab2202

Just assumed it was his teeth,never thought about chewing gum,perhaps because Mother thought it "common " to chew gum and always disapproved if I ever bought any.My how the world has changed

your mom was right about gum. one of my pet hates is a tw@t chewing gum male or female especialy when they are talking to you its an horrible filthy habbit and the amount of the shite stuck to the pavement after being gobbed out is disgusting, its illegal in Singapore for that reason.

This is not the time for bickering.

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 00:13 - May 10 with 3921 viewsD_Alien

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 23:58 - May 9 by kiwidale

your mom was right about gum. one of my pet hates is a tw@t chewing gum male or female especialy when they are talking to you its an horrible filthy habbit and the amount of the shite stuck to the pavement after being gobbed out is disgusting, its illegal in Singapore for that reason.

Horrible? Filthy? What are you talking about man? Absolutely nothing wrong with chewing gum in itself. Helps keep teeth clean between brushings, and also helps keep you alert when driving long distances

Agree that it should be disposed of properly, and the only ban should be on pictures of Sam Allardyce chewing it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 03:22 - May 10 with 3896 viewskiwidale

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 00:13 - May 10 by D_Alien

Horrible? Filthy? What are you talking about man? Absolutely nothing wrong with chewing gum in itself. Helps keep teeth clean between brushings, and also helps keep you alert when driving long distances

Agree that it should be disposed of properly, and the only ban should be on pictures of Sam Allardyce chewing it

ok D A nothing wrong per se when done privately however and its only my opinion one I stand by mainly because its horible when someone chews with open mouth its worse when said someone is talking to you while chewing and its disgusting when its discarded incorrectly as much of it is. One of my tasks when I was involved in building maintenance was to scrape the stuff of floors pavements and entrances etc and the tw@ts who spit it onto carpets and they do need it shoving up there arses. if as you say it helps concentration and helps keep teeth clean then I have learned something.

This is not the time for bickering.

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 19:23 - May 10 with 3770 viewsdavidab2202

And to add to the still alive from that team is Louis Bimpson .
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 21:31 - May 10 with 3723 viewsdebbiesfella

Must disagree about Jimmy Thompson he was an awful tackler and ducked out of many which was odd for a man of his size. On the plus side he was a superb passer of the ball, long or short.
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 21:40 - May 10 with 3718 viewsTVOS1907

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 20:52 - May 7 by davidab2202

According to wikipedia(if it is to be believed) ,Burgin,Thompson,Wragg and Whyke who played in the Final are certainly still alive and definitely Ray Aspden is still alive

It's interesting about Jimmy Thompson apparently still being alive, as when we tried to trace him via his son for an interview in TVOS a couple of years ago, he told us he was dead!

His son, by the way, is Steve Thompson, who played for the likes of Bolton, Burnley and Leicester, for whom he appeared against Dale in the League Cup in 1993/94.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 01:07 - May 11 with 3684 viewsDiddyDave

Nobody`s mentioned George Morton on here,I`m sure he was playing for Dale around this time?
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 06:25 - May 11 with 3670 viewsdavidab2202

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 01:07 - May 11 by DiddyDave

Nobody`s mentioned George Morton on here,I`m sure he was playing for Dale around this time?

George was one of my favourite Dale players of that era.

Perhaps this was because I could empathise with the style of his play from my amateur playing days--a pound or two overweight and a perhaps a yard off the pace !!!!

Sadly one of the ones no longer with us
Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 08:51 - May 11 with 3647 viewsmingthemerciless

Obituary: Former Rochdale footballer Stanley Hepton on 01:07 - May 11 by DiddyDave

I liked George, he was a skilful player who scored his share of goals. It was a bit of a mystery why we turned down a " sizeable offer " ( £5,000 was rumoured ) from Torquay for him in mid season 1965-66 only to release him on a free at the end of the season.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 8:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024