Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greetings from an unglory hunter 16:05 - Jun 2 with 9630 viewsCanavanOfLove

Hello everyone,

I'm Dan. I've been a fan of this forum for some time now and regularly have a look to see what's going on with your fine club.

To explain what I am doing here. Two things. I'm an Ipswich fan. I've also had a soft spot for Rochdale for many years going back to all sorts of football manager games where I would always choose Dale.

I work in the Football Industry but have to admit to hating so many of the modern elements. Normally I would get sympathy from most football fans for supporting a team that's done little for almost 16 straight seasons in the same division, but I fear many of you may consider that nothing based on your many years of life in the fourth tier.

The Premier League and to some extent the Championship have turned into money hungry monsters and for me League One is the highest of what I'd consider the 'pure' divisions, where family clubs still exist, where more players play for the love of the game than the wage packet, where proper grounds exist instead of lifeless bowls, you get the idea.

Like a huge number of Ipswich fans I am not renewing my season ticket next year. Without boring anyone who doesn't want to know too much, we have an invisible owner with no ambition who is happy to keep a manager the fans all want gone because he's the best man to keep us in the division on the criteria we have of not bothering to invest any more money other than to keep the club afloat because we've missed the boat.

I've had a season ticket for decades but next year I will be going to as many other games as possible, taking in a lot of new grounds and I've decided to adopt Dale and follow your club to as many of your away games in the Midlands / South East / South West and I'll head to Spotland for a few games as well.

Whether it was Football Manager, LMA, FIFA, I was always drawn to Rochdale. I don't mean this patronisingly but you were always one of the smaller clubs in the bottom division with no promotions to look back on and the smaller crowds, so I always liked to take you guys through the divisions. I've even won a Champions League with you! Even right now I am faithfully committed to a manager career on FIFA with Dale (Just missed out on the Championship playoffs on the last day of my second season)

It's interesting to see the grumbles on here, the things that bother you as fans and the issues, which in many ways differ to the ones at Ipswich. I genuinely feel right now fans like yourselves are the lucky ones. A decent manager, a club that's enjoying some of it's better times and still at a low enough level not to have been corrupted by mercenaries (not of the level ITFC have anyway) and with a lot of people around the club and community that deeply care about RAFC, something that's no longer true of Ipswich.

Spotland reminds me of everything football used to be. I know it may not seem like you have it that great when you look at the likes of Hudderfield, Bournemouth and what other clubs have gone onto achieve, but I seriously envy a lot of what you have.

Anyway, thought it would be good to say hello before I get engaged in the odd thread or two. I hope nobody takes offence to my adoption of your club. Many of us will be staying away from ITFC whilst Evans and McCarthy is there and whilst that might seem strange and that we aren't supporting our club, if you knew the ins and outs you'd know that season ticket holders of 50 years have not renewed this year.

So for the foreseeable future I'll be experiencing League One. Although in 12 months time I may well be doing so with Ipswich!

Would be great to chat with you, learn the best places to eat around Spotland, just how much you hate Bury and Oldham and to what degree, whether you feel Camps and NML will cut it in the Championship and which players you've been linked to. Ipswich had Reece Brown and he was abysmal, but not fully fit or played in his natural position so I'll reserve judgment. If anyone can get him playing it's Keith Hill (who would be the perfect replacement for Mick McCarthy if our owner knew anything about football).
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 16:21]
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:39 - Jun 2 with 2553 viewsTVOS1907

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:39 - Jun 2 by roccydaleian

Can see Dan and DySporting hitting it off he likes Ipswich fans..

He tolerates OCD (OlympicCanaDale).

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 22:14 - Jun 2 with 2515 views442Dale

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:17 - Jun 2 by CanavanOfLove

I'm never a fan of clubs that suddenly spend wild sums from nowhere, including when Ipswich did. The Munto situation was bizarre. Sven, Campbell, Schmeichel. Can't say I have a major opinion but I just hate basket case clubs when owners destabilise a club for a few months of fun.

I'm guessing FOC is F Off Chalky which I saw on a thread a few days ago but will admit I've no idea where it started having only visited infrequently until recently.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 21:28]

Basically, Chalky spent an entire year of his life enjoying something he knows was pointless.

He'll never get over that, but we've tried to help him deal with it better.

We really are that nice.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 00:01 - Jun 3 with 2435 viewskiwidale

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 22:14 - Jun 2 by 442Dale

Basically, Chalky spent an entire year of his life enjoying something he knows was pointless.

He'll never get over that, but we've tried to help him deal with it better.

We really are that nice.

Chalky is a good lad but will aways be known on here as FOC mainly because of his defense on here over the munto fiasco, which goes something like "we were just ordinary fans duped by munto" which is all well and good but it didnt stop them gloating and invading the pitch to touch their heroes did it... until they hand back the championship trophy to the rightful champions (us) then he can FOC.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2017 0:07]

This is not the time for bickering.

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:18 - Jun 3 with 2335 viewsR17ALE

Welcome to the board Canavan!

Bizarrely, an old school friend of mine was from Ipswich and supported Town. His older brother was a golf pro in Ipswich who was good mates with Mark Brennan, who is from these parts as it happens - Rossendale to be precise.

It's a small world!

It's a shame Olympic Dale doesn't post anymore as his second club was Ipswich. Watch out for DY Sporting though as he's primarily a Norwich fan and we don't want a pitchfork dual on our peaceful forum!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:44 - Jun 3 with 2300 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:18 - Jun 3 by R17ALE

Bizarrely, an old school friend of mine was from Ipswich and supported Town. His older brother was a golf pro in Ipswich who was good mates with Mark Brennan, who is from these parts as it happens - Rossendale to be precise.

It's a small world!

It's a shame Olympic Dale doesn't post anymore as his second club was Ipswich. Watch out for DY Sporting though as he's primarily a Norwich fan and we don't want a pitchfork dual on our peaceful forum!

Don't worry. I can handle the trophy dodgers from down the road.

Their greatest achievement was beating a Fourth Division team in the League Cup final. Whoever that was ;)

Norwich have always been in our shadow aside from the last few years. But even after spending £100m to our £100k they couldn't beat us last season.

I look forward to the warm welcome!
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 11:39 - Jun 3 with 2208 viewsdownunder

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:44 - Jun 3 by CanavanOfLove

Their greatest achievement was beating a Fourth Division team in the League Cup final. Whoever that was ;)

Norwich have always been in our shadow aside from the last few years. But even after spending £100m to our £100k they couldn't beat us last season.

I am sure you will get a warm welcome. But stay clear of any long lens cameras.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 13:06 - Jun 3 with 2144 viewsTVOS1907

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:18 - Jun 3 by R17ALE

It's a small world!

Olympic is still here, although under a new username these days.

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 13:08 - Jun 3 with 2143 viewschalkyncfc

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 00:01 - Jun 3 by kiwidale

Chalky is a good lad but will aways be known on here as FOC mainly because of his defense on here over the munto fiasco, which goes something like "we were just ordinary fans duped by munto" which is all well and good but it didnt stop them gloating and invading the pitch to touch their heroes did it... until they hand back the championship trophy to the rightful champions (us) then he can FOC.

We was all sucked in by the lie that was Munto ,do you think that we really wanted our club to nearly go under? As for invading the pitch I would have thought that this was normal by fans who have gained promotion,I have learnt one thing from being on here though and that was that season meant NOTHING!
Now then,let that be the end of it
Login to get fewer ads

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:41 - Jun 3 with 2023 viewsDySporting

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:44 - Jun 3 by CanavanOfLove

I think Norwich have lifted at least 3 cups if not 4 since the portaloo boys have even had a sniff but carry on with your bury esque living on past glories. Welcome to the forum and enjoy watching some proper football at Dale.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:56 - Jun 3 with 2007 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:41 - Jun 3 by DySporting

I think Norwich have lifted at least 3 cups if not 4 since the portaloo boys have even had a sniff but carry on with your bury esque living on past glories. Welcome to the forum and enjoy watching some proper football at Dale.

Haha. Bless.

You've won nothing but promotion since we were kings of Europe. One of those was in League One, which we've not been in. You got prompted to the Premier League when the money was stupid. We got promoted and relegated from it during the ITV digital collapse.

Give it up man. We've won the league, FA Cup and UEFA cup and were one of the best teams on the planet for almost a decade. You've beaten the worst Bayern Munich team in 40 years once.

That's all past history though. So if you take it as it is we are both currently championship sides. But you've spent £100m to be about four wins better off than us.

You're the better club right now. Impossible to argue. But as neither of us has much to shout about we can only look at days gone by and we've been incredible. You finished 3rd once.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:58 - Jun 3 with 2004 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:41 - Jun 3 by DySporting

A few of my good mates are carrot Road faithful however so we'll be amicable mr budgie :)
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:12 - Jun 3 with 1985 viewsDySporting

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:58 - Jun 3 by CanavanOfLove

A few of my good mates are carrot Road faithful however so we'll be amicable mr budgie :)

I’m sure we will. This will be my 20th season taking photos at Dale so I reckon I’m someone who can genuinely say I support two teams. Enjoy watching Dale this coming season.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:27 - Jun 3 with 1944 viewsAtThePeake

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 00:01 - Jun 3 by kiwidale

Surely the rightful champions were Bournemouth?

Tangled up in blue.

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:58 - Jun 3 with 1916 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:12 - Jun 3 by DySporting

I’m sure we will. This will be my 20th season taking photos at Dale so I reckon I’m someone who can genuinely say I support two teams. Enjoy watching Dale this coming season.

Thanks. You too. Let's hope it's a good un.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:29 - Jun 3 with 1886 viewskiwidale

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:27 - Jun 3 by AtThePeake

Surely the rightful champions were Bournemouth?

don't tell FOC that

This is not the time for bickering.

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 23:13 - Jun 3 with 1833 viewsR17ALE

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:56 - Jun 3 by CanavanOfLove

Haha. Bless.

You've won nothing but promotion since we were kings of Europe. One of those was in League One, which we've not been in. You got prompted to the Premier League when the money was stupid. We got promoted and relegated from it during the ITV digital collapse.

Give it up man. We've won the league, FA Cup and UEFA cup and were one of the best teams on the planet for almost a decade. You've beaten the worst Bayern Munich team in 40 years once.

That's all past history though. So if you take it as it is we are both currently championship sides. But you've spent £100m to be about four wins better off than us.

You're the better club right now. Impossible to argue. But as neither of us has much to shout about we can only look at days gone by and we've been incredible. You finished 3rd once.

Oh. Fooking hell the pitch forks are out. From a Rochdale point of view, you're identical clubs. Both have had years above your station, both have over achieved just like we do. But, crucially both don't have local competition like we do. If you had Manchester or Liverpool or Leeds on your doorstep you'd both be Colchester.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 03:43 - Jun 4 with 1784 viewsCanaDale

Hi Canavan. Welcome to the light side from the dark side. From one fellow unglory hunter to another, 'cept the unglory I'm referring to is Ipswich. I'm a fellow town fan, for more years than I should have been!

I've received my fair share of banter on this delightful board of ours, many of which has been justified. When a club such as Dale are taking massive strides each year, Town are standing in quick sand, slowly sinking in to the abyss, of course I don't need to tell you this(!)

I long for the days of 'magic' Magilton, and Big fat Joe, the football played now, and the reputation as a hoof ball team needs to stop. Ipswich were always known for playing such good football, bringing through academy players, and we've been stuck with Cole Scuse and Jonathan Douglas this year!!

The team has no identity, being a long ball team doesn't count, this is going against what the club stands for. When Mick came in it was necessary, the team was on its arse, anything needed to be done to survive relegation, but this can't be a year in year out thing. For me, the decline started the day Roy Keane was allowed to manage this once great team, selling Jordan Rhodes, one of the worst decisions made by a town boss in recent years! And changing the ethos of the team, a slippery slope soon followed.

I have become very disillusioned with Town right now, almost to the point of not caring. And at times last season, I was glad of some defeats, because I thought it might spur some sort of change, but that would only happen if you have an owner with even an ounce of ambition, that extends to more than advertising of his company every match day!

I'm not a Mick hater, he ultimately saved the club from certain l1 football 5 years ago, but change is needed or l1 will definitely be closer next season. What I don't get is how can an owner, who will have seen season ticket sales plummet, and fan disapproval, continue to back MM. When Gary Monk left Leeds I thought...maybe?! No of course not, that'd be too much to hope for.

You will be much happier (hopefully) following the Dale, the fan base is on side, 100% to the chairman and manager, and there's a feel good factor around the whole club!
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:59 - Jun 4 with 1706 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 03:43 - Jun 4 by CanaDale

Hi Canavan. Welcome to the light side from the dark side. From one fellow unglory hunter to another, 'cept the unglory I'm referring to is Ipswich. I'm a fellow town fan, for more years than I should have been!

I've received my fair share of banter on this delightful board of ours, many of which has been justified. When a club such as Dale are taking massive strides each year, Town are standing in quick sand, slowly sinking in to the abyss, of course I don't need to tell you this(!)

I long for the days of 'magic' Magilton, and Big fat Joe, the football played now, and the reputation as a hoof ball team needs to stop. Ipswich were always known for playing such good football, bringing through academy players, and we've been stuck with Cole Scuse and Jonathan Douglas this year!!

The team has no identity, being a long ball team doesn't count, this is going against what the club stands for. When Mick came in it was necessary, the team was on its arse, anything needed to be done to survive relegation, but this can't be a year in year out thing. For me, the decline started the day Roy Keane was allowed to manage this once great team, selling Jordan Rhodes, one of the worst decisions made by a town boss in recent years! And changing the ethos of the team, a slippery slope soon followed.

I have become very disillusioned with Town right now, almost to the point of not caring. And at times last season, I was glad of some defeats, because I thought it might spur some sort of change, but that would only happen if you have an owner with even an ounce of ambition, that extends to more than advertising of his company every match day!

I'm not a Mick hater, he ultimately saved the club from certain l1 football 5 years ago, but change is needed or l1 will definitely be closer next season. What I don't get is how can an owner, who will have seen season ticket sales plummet, and fan disapproval, continue to back MM. When Gary Monk left Leeds I thought...maybe?! No of course not, that'd be too much to hope for.

You will be much happier (hopefully) following the Dale, the fan base is on side, 100% to the chairman and manager, and there's a feel good factor around the whole club!

A perfect summary.

I worked for ITFC as well previously as did my Dad. It's even words than people realise for. The outside. I can't see anything other than relegation this time around. It's been coming.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 10:57 - Jun 4 with 1656 viewsmacro

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 09:59 - Jun 4 by CanavanOfLove

A perfect summary.

I worked for ITFC as well previously as did my Dad. It's even words than people realise for. The outside. I can't see anything other than relegation this time around. It's been coming.

Southampton, Wigan, Bolton, Norwich, Blackburn all relegated to L1 and ex prem. forest, Ipswich, qpr all need to be looking over their shoulders.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 13:50 - Jun 4 with 1587 viewswimborne_dale

An interesting and well written OP. Welcome aboard Canavan.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:32 - Jun 4 with 1465 viewsCanaDale

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 10:57 - Jun 4 by macro

Southampton, Wigan, Bolton, Norwich, Blackburn all relegated to L1 and ex prem. forest, Ipswich, qpr all need to be looking over their shoulders.

I would much rather go down playing the kids, at least they'd put some pride and effort back into this team! If it wasn't for Lawrence, last season, then we'd have already been in l1 before Easter! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for the fans to have to watch this garbage, playing old carthorses that teams have rejected. Ditch these rejects, get the youth in and get a feel good factor back.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:44 - Jun 4 with 1448 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:32 - Jun 4 by CanaDale

I would much rather go down playing the kids, at least they'd put some pride and effort back into this team! If it wasn't for Lawrence, last season, then we'd have already been in l1 before Easter! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for the fans to have to watch this garbage, playing old carthorses that teams have rejected. Ditch these rejects, get the youth in and get a feel good factor back.

Bart was an instrumental in keeping us up as Lawrence.

To be fair to the dinosaur he actually gave Kenlock a good go and Emmanuel at times. Bishop has an attitude problem and Dozzell is still to lightweight. But either would have been preferable to Douglas.

We have some great kids coming through but they go from passing in the younger sides to hoofball in the first team and unsurprisingly a 10st kid isn't up to the physical demands. I fear it'll be another season of freebie and loan signings of 'proper blokes'.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:41 - Jun 4 with 1385 viewsDaleiLama

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:04 - Jun 2 by BigKindo

The Cobbolds were a family of brewers. Arnold Murhen went from Ipswich to Man U.

Decent beers from Tolly Cobold back in the day. Did a crawl round Ipswich supping in a lot of their tied houses back then.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:35 - Jun 4 with 1345 viewsCanaDale

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:44 - Jun 4 by CanavanOfLove

Bart was an instrumental in keeping us up as Lawrence.

To be fair to the dinosaur he actually gave Kenlock a good go and Emmanuel at times. Bishop has an attitude problem and Dozzell is still to lightweight. But either would have been preferable to Douglas.

We have some great kids coming through but they go from passing in the younger sides to hoofball in the first team and unsurprisingly a 10st kid isn't up to the physical demands. I fear it'll be another season of freebie and loan signings of 'proper blokes'.

I would go as far as to say Bart is one of the best goalkeepers outside of the premierleague, and should be playing for Poland, as I don't rate any of their current lot. If he goes, then the shit really will hit the fan.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:38 - Jun 4 with 1341 viewsTVOS1907

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:35 - Jun 4 by CanaDale

I would go as far as to say Bart is one of the best goalkeepers outside of the premierleague, and should be playing for Poland, as I don't rate any of their current lot. If he goes, then the shit really will hit the fan.

What's Laurie Sivell up to these days?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024