Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Media watch 07:20 - Feb 16 with 15255 viewsmodelboydave

Going to be lots of articles about the dale in the coming days
Full page article in today’s daily mail about us

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5397407/

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Media watch on 13:19 - Feb 16 with 3240 viewsfitzochris

Media watch on 13:15 - Feb 16 by dingdangblue

"A team comprised of jobbing low-end journeymen"

Charming!

Another cliche-ridden page spew.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Media watch on 13:22 - Feb 16 with 3221 viewsrochdaleriddler

Media watch on 12:01 - Feb 16 by SuddenLad

So, what time will you be available.......... 😊

They will interview us both together

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Media watch on 13:23 - Feb 16 with 3211 viewsjudd

Media watch on 13:22 - Feb 16 by rochdaleriddler

They will interview us both together

You're a twin?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Media watch on 13:24 - Feb 16 with 3204 viewsrochdaleriddler

Media watch on 11:34 - Feb 16 by judd

Go on then, which one are you?

Marked you down in error, I am whatever you want me to be, I've still got some teeth

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Media watch on 13:25 - Feb 16 with 3191 viewsrochdaleriddler

Media watch on 13:23 - Feb 16 by judd

You're a twin?

No I'm a schizophrenic stainer of clothes

Media watch on 13:27 - Feb 16 with 3175 viewsjudd

Media watch on 13:25 - Feb 16 by rochdaleriddler

No I'm a schizophrenic stainer of clothes

Are you taking the piss?

Media watch on 13:29 - Feb 16 with 3155 viewsDaleiLama

Media watch on 13:19 - Feb 16 by fitzochris

Another cliche-ridden page spew.

And they have the nerve to put up the begging bowl pop-up in lieu of a paywall asking for donations. Start writing something credible worth reading and maybe people will pay. Or is it clicks they are after so advertisers pay instead. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Media watch on 13:34 - Feb 16 with 3137 viewschalkyncfc

Media watch on 10:14 - Feb 16 by soulboy

Also..... satanic mills which have now largely disappeared
Punching above their weight
The town has been in the news not too long ago for all the wrong reasons
Alan Taylor
Club renowned for its friendliness

I had never heard of satanic mills before so I googled it,bloody hell it really was grim up north,its hard to understand how bad things was in the past until you read things like that,what's even more surprising is that you wrote that they have "now largely disappeared"
Login to get fewer ads

Media watch on 13:40 - Feb 16 with 3108 viewsD_Alien

Media watch on 13:34 - Feb 16 by chalkyncfc

I had never heard of satanic mills before so I googled it,bloody hell it really was grim up north,its hard to understand how bad things was in the past until you read things like that,what's even more surprising is that you wrote that they have "now largely disappeared"

tbf, things would've been pretty grim in Nottingham too - anywhere where industries involving coal grew up

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Media watch on 13:52 - Feb 16 with 3070 viewsrochdaleriddler

Media watch on 13:27 - Feb 16 by judd

Are you taking the piss?

I'm a giver

Media watch on 13:59 - Feb 16 with 3053 viewsjudd

Media watch on 13:52 - Feb 16 by rochdaleriddler

I'm a giver

Well give over then

Media watch on 14:50 - Feb 16 with 2954 viewsShun

Media watch on 13:15 - Feb 16 by dingdangblue

"A team comprised of jobbing low-end journeymen"

Charming!

Apart from Calvin we're probably the least journeyman-style club in the league! We have a well-deserved reputation for playing young players. A shame The Guardian couldn't do a smidgen of research to discover that.

Fitzo for Journalist Laureate!
Media watch on 15:54 - Feb 16 with 2874 viewsfinberty

The Lilywhite bloke on BBC Sport live feed is such a top journalist he doesnt bother with the facts.
Media watch on 19:30 - Feb 16 with 2729 viewsmodelboydave

a Luton friend just text me asking about the story about the Luton rep not making a re-election meeting and Dale being re-elected.

does anyone know what year this was? and who the Luton rep was?
his questions not mine!

Media watch on 19:47 - Feb 16 with 2681 viewsjohndale

Media watch on 19:30 - Feb 16 by modelboydave

a Luton friend just text me asking about the story about the Luton rep not making a re-election meeting and Dale being re-elected.

does anyone know what year this was? and who the Luton rep was?
his questions not mine!

6th June 1980. Remember it well when we got relected by one vote.
Media watch on 21:16 - Feb 16 with 2554 viewsmodelboydave

Media watch on 19:47 - Feb 16 by johndale

Cheers.

im guessing it was not Eric Morecambe who was the chairman at some point.

"bring me sunshine"

Media watch on 21:24 - Feb 16 with 2510 viewsdeeplishblue

https://www.tifofootball.com/features/slim-chance-rochdale-glory-far-fa-cup-clic

This is better than the average write up and gives us lots of credit

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Media watch on 21:53 - Feb 16 with 2455 viewsmodelboydave

Media watch on 21:24 - Feb 16 by deeplishblue

https://www.tifofootball.com/features/slim-chance-rochdale-glory-far-fa-cup-clic

This is better than the average write up and gives us lots of credit

cracking article that. tugs at the heartstrings!

Media watch on 22:45 - Feb 16 with 2375 viewsDaleiLama

Media watch on 21:53 - Feb 16 by modelboydave

Clears up the Calvin injury too - he pulled a hammy delivering the mail.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Media watch on 00:27 - Feb 17 with 2267 views442Dale

New community coaching hub development?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5597651/rochdale-keith-hill-on-sunsport-

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Media watch on 01:05 - Feb 17 with 2234 viewskiwidale

Media watch on 19:47 - Feb 16 by johndale

I remember the re-election in question was early 60's my recollection being it went to a third vote between us and Altrincham who was the top vote in the first two ballots the story continues with Matt Busby coercing fellow chairmen to swap Alty votes for us and we won by one vote. How true I don't know but Alty are bitter to this day over it.

edit to add
two chairmen didn't cast a vote in the last ballot after apparently voting for Alty in earlier ballots again could be a load of bolloxs but was a story going the rounds back then.

further edit
another story was Altrincham had replaced the pens on the tables with Altrincham afc inscribed pens which by accounts pissed off some chairmen.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 1:11]

This is not the time for bickering.

Media watch on 01:10 - Feb 17 with 2218 viewsTVOS1907

Media watch on 01:05 - Feb 17 by kiwidale

I remember the re-election in question was early 60's my recollection being it went to a third vote between us and Altrincham who was the top vote in the first two ballots the story continues with Matt Busby coercing fellow chairmen to swap Alty votes for us and we won by one vote. How true I don't know but Alty are bitter to this day over it.

edit to add
two chairmen didn't cast a vote in the last ballot after apparently voting for Alty in earlier ballots again could be a load of bolloxs but was a story going the rounds back then.

further edit
another story was Altrincham had replaced the pens on the tables with Altrincham afc inscribed pens which by accounts pissed off some chairmen.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 1:11]

It was 1980.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Media watch on 01:15 - Feb 17 with 2207 viewskiwidale

Media watch on 01:10 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

It was 1980.

If that's the case then there is more than one occasion that we won a re-election vote by the smallest of margins.

Media watch on 01:29 - Feb 17 with 2193 viewskiwidale

Media watch on 01:10 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

It was 1980.

I read this on the internet so it must be true?

It's also unlikely the term the 'Rochdale Division' would ever have entered the footballing lexicon had Dale lost one of a number of re-election votes they had to endure.

Most notably, just one vote saw them survive the drop in 1980 at the expense of the aforementioned Altrincham. Even in 1978, it was Southport who took the drop at their expense when Wigan Athletic entered the Football League.

Dale spent 36 consecutive seasons in the basement division until promotion last term - nobody has spent a longer continuous spell in it.

They also hold the dubious record of having the lowest average position of all the continuous members of the Football League in the past 90 years. Crucially, though, because of their continued election victories, they are continuous.

more info here

What is now the Football Conference was formed. A single club was put
forward for election.
Darlington FL 49 re-elected to Division Four
Crewe Alexandra FL 48 re-elected to Division Four
Hereford United FL 28 re-elected to Division Four
Rochdale FL 26 re-elected to Division Four
Altrincham FC 25

This was an unfortunated ballot for Altrincham. Altrincham were sure
of the votes of Grimsby and Luton but the Grimsby representative
'forgot' to vote and the Luton rep arrived from 'lunch' after the vote
had taken place.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 1:53]

Media watch on 02:30 - Feb 17 with 2162 viewskiwidale

Media watch on 21:53 - Feb 16 by modelboydave

If you enjoyed that you might enjoy this from the same author in regards to Chester fc.

Most of us have cousins and most of us only see them at life’s big three of weddings, christenings and funerals. On these rare occasions conversations are struck and catch-ups caught and you are reminded of your familial connection, a bond that seems so strong when they’re right there standing in front of you yet vanishes the moment they’re gone. This is a guy who has 12.5% of the same DNA as you do. He is only one step removed from being a sibling, There are photographs in unseen albums of you both as toddlers on a beach and at family barbecues as cocky young kids with bad haircuts, arms around one another.
He’s a decent sort.
You resolve to stay in touch.
But you don’t because life gets in the way. There’s a crisis at work and a weekend away with the boys and before you know it you’ve gone your way again and he’s gone his and you’re back to hearing of his big moments second-hand via a parent. He’s become a dad again for the third time. He’s had a health scare. Learning of each development pricks at your conscience and you momentarily kid yourself that you’re going to make the call. You possibly would do — but probably wouldn’t — if you had his number.
Chester FC are my footballing cousin. Each time I drive past their ground that resides only five miles from my house and four from the home that I grew up in my conscience is pricked and I resolve to attend a game this season. After all they are only one step removed from being a blood relative; my team being Manchester City and the Seals for so long named Chester City. There’s weighty symbolism in that wordplay. Then there are the photographs, in these instance not physical artefacts but imprinted on the mind, of going to my first live games with my dad in tow, and later standing behind one of the goals with a group of school mates barracking the opposition keeper on floodlit Friday nights.
Those evenings were at Sealand Road — before the move to the Deva Stadium a mile or so further from town; before it all went to pot — and they were scheduled for that time so as to distance themselves from Liverpool and Everton fixtures that otherwise dominated local interest. Throughout the course of my lifetime, Chester has always been the poor cousin.
In the intervening years I have gone to watch the Blues if all too irregularly. There were no promotion days or relegation disasters to act as neat analogies of weddings, christenings or funerals; it was usually when the mood took me and opportunity presented itself. And on each occasion I would resolve to go again very soon. This was my local club and if I couldn’t commit to supporting them with my heart I should at least support them with my presence. They are 12.5% of my sporting DNA.
Only life would get in the way, usually in the form of Manchester City playing on the same day or a televised game that I needed to report on or sometimes just plain, ordinary life. On the last international weekend when Chester played at home I went to IKEA, then the cinema, and then had a meal out because I’d been writing about football for about sixty consecutive days and needed a break from it. Before I knew it my absence at the Deva ran into weeks, then months, then years.
Last week I learned second-hand that my footballing cousin was enduring a health scare. I had no idea. I write about football for a living and it had reached this critical juncture right under my nose and I had no idea. This was not a mere pricking of my conscience. The guilt has been like a second layer of skin ever since.
“If we can’t raise eighty-five thousand to ninety thousand pounds a month then we could be finished in a couple of months” — that’s how it was termed in a City Fans United meeting last Thursday to members some of whom were appalled at having the gravity of the situation kept from them until so recently. Worse was to follow with the news that fifty thousand pounds had to be found very quickly indeed.
To that end a staggering ten thousand has already been raised through donations while last Saturday the club’s new signing Shepherd Murombedzi agreed to play for free. If survival is secured next season’s budget is set to be cut from £450,000 to £250,000 including coaching and support staff costs slashed. A Chester youth game on January 31st is expected to raise further funds with a pay-what-you-want policy on the door.
More slender hope resides in the fee for James Alabi’s switch to Tranmere set to go to tribunal and Chester also have the option of selling their sell-on clause installed when talented defender Sam Hughes moved to Leicester. Fresh investment meanwhile is potentially available, a mystery benefactor put forward by commentator and lifelong Chester fan Jonathan Legard. Legard alluded on Twitter last week that the board’s running of the club has been a ‘shambles’. Yesterday the club’s chairman and two members of the board stood down.
How much of this equates to papering over the cracks depends on your disposition but what can be stated with certainty is that this current crisis has reignited local concern with 200 new CFU members signing up inside of three days. This is a huge fillip for a club that has seen dwindling attendances of late as their rise through the lower divisions levelled off in the National League.
Chester has been here before. They have overcome before. In the summer of 1999 an American named Terry Smith took control of the club and soon after sacked manager Kevin Ratcliffe. Smith, an eccentric individual by anyone’s estimation, then decided to take up the position himself despite having an extremely limited knowledge of the game. He appointed captains for the defence, midfield and attack. His team-talks consisted of the Lord’s Prayer. He believed that it was possible to substitute a sent off player.
Unsurprisingly Chester City FC went into inexorable freefall and lost their proud 69 year league status, yet Smith’s most grievous act was still to come when he willingly sold the club to businessman and boxing promoter Stephen Vaughn.
Vaughn is presently disqualified from acting as a director of any company following his involvement in an alleged VAT fraud at Widnes Vikings rugby league club. Prior to that he ran Chester into administration, reaching a nadir that saw the players refuse to play because they were receiving no wages and the police refuse to steward games for similar reasons.
In November 2007 a minute’s silence was held at the Deva Stadium for a man described as ‘a major benefactor’ to the club. The man in question was second in command to a cocaine empire who had recently been shot in a gangland killing in Speke, Liverpool.
In February 2010 Chester City was no more.
A year earlier saw the formation of the CFU (Chester Fans United), a group of diehard supporters who took the husk left behind by Smith and Vaughn and forged a new phoenix club named Chester FC. With help from the council and local businesses, one of only a handful of trust controlled clubs across the country was installed in the eighth tier of the football league system and soon after took flight with promotion after promotion taking them to their present plateau.
At its heart the ethos behind this fledging institution was simple and inspiring in that every fan had a vote, the board was made up entirely of supporters, and everything that had happened to them previously would never be allowed to happen again. The club was run sensibly with a clear community leaning. A ‘war-chest’ was retained for a rainy day.
That it’s come to this then is even more heart-breaking than the circumstances alone. If Smith’s part of Chester City’s downfall can be attributed to sheer lunacy, and Vaughn’s to alleged malfeasance, now it’s due to well-intentioned incompetence as illustrated by the schedule of last week’s meeting that had as its first order of business — ‘Welcome/apologies’.
So why is the first half of this sorry tale about me? I don’t matter in this one iota.
Well, precisely. If you believe this is a unique situation of a club heading for the wall then you’d be very wrong. Similarly if you think I’m the only one who has looked the other way, bedazzled by the shining lights of the top echelons of English football then you would also be astray.
Most of us have cousins. Most of us support a Premier League club. Most of us have a local club that is lightyears away from the Premier League that is struggling under our very nose.
I can safely say from very recent experience: don’t take something precious for granted until it’s nearly gone. Make that call.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2018 2:32]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024