Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Points for winning and drawing 18:56 - Mar 17 with 3364 viewsJames1980

I expect such things have been discussed before, but what do people think of changing the points system to say -1 for a loss 0 for a draw and 4 for a win. I think it would potentially make for much more exciting games. Although it could just end with lots of draws

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Points for winning and drawing on 16:28 - Mar 18 with 918 viewsD_Alien

Points for winning and drawing on 16:02 - Mar 18 by TVOS1907

Sunday afternoon or not (and Excel helps), I can't find a bigger gap.

The nearest is between defeating Hartlepool 5-3 in the League Cup in August 1973 to beating Northampton 5-3 in May 1982.

Excel-lent!

But, but... the August '73 fixture wasn't a league game...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Points for winning and drawing on 16:39 - Mar 18 with 892 viewsTVOS1907

Points for winning and drawing on 16:28 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

Excel-lent!

But, but... the August '73 fixture wasn't a league game...

Good point.

So, 2nd October 1971 (5-0 v Torquay) - 22nd January 1977 (5-0 v Scunthorpe) = 1939 days

And 22nd January 1977 (5-0 v Scunthorpe) - 15th May 1982 (5-3 v Northampton) = 1939 days.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Points for winning and drawing on 17:02 - Mar 18 with 857 viewsD_Dale

Points for winning and drawing on 14:02 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

I'd be an advocate of this too

One of the frustrating aspects of Hilly's tenure is his apparent belief that it "disrespects" the opposition by beating them by four or more goals. (Yes, he has said that.) I'd argue the opposite - that it's disrepectful not to continue trying to score as many as possible once on top of the opposition, since there's an implication that it'd be easily done. It's sport, at the end of the day. Did he expect Spurs to ease off once they went 4-1 up at Wembley?

The exception to this was of course the 2-7 at Stockport, plus a couple of of big wins in his earliest days. I can't remember the last time we scored 5

Under the system you advocate Mark, scoring 6 would yield 5 points so no reason to give up even after scoring 5
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 14:06]

Hilly does come up with some daft remarks - most of which don't really matter and can be disregarded - but I find it hard to believe he explicitly made a case for limiting the players to a 4-goal margin of victory.

One of the games I remember best is a 5-0 drubbing of MKD soon after he arrived :afterwards, did he bawl out the players for their insensitive conduct!

Apart from the fans' interest is seeing their side score, he must be aware that promotion and relegation are sometimes decided by goal difference.
Points for winning and drawing on 17:23 - Mar 18 with 836 views1mark1

Points for winning and drawing on 15:29 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

I wasn't advocating a point for each extra goal over a certain number either - but the logic of awarding an extra point for scoring say, 3 goals would require another extra point for scoring six; hence my saying there'd be no letting up even after scoring five with that system

Please accept my apologies, I misunderstood your original point. So you advocate one bonus point for three goals scored, and then an extra one when six is scored. It would be worth thinking about, but the football authorities do seem to be slow at trying new systems that might accept improve the game.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Points for winning and drawing on 17:29 - Mar 18 with 824 viewsrochdaleriddler

Points for winning and drawing on 14:02 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

I'd be an advocate of this too

One of the frustrating aspects of Hilly's tenure is his apparent belief that it "disrespects" the opposition by beating them by four or more goals. (Yes, he has said that.) I'd argue the opposite - that it's disrepectful not to continue trying to score as many as possible once on top of the opposition, since there's an implication that it'd be easily done. It's sport, at the end of the day. Did he expect Spurs to ease off once they went 4-1 up at Wembley?

The exception to this was of course the 2-7 at Stockport, plus a couple of of big wins in his earliest days. I can't remember the last time we scored 5

Under the system you advocate Mark, scoring 6 would yield 5 points so no reason to give up even after scoring 5
[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 14:06]

He's really keen not to disrespect the opposition this season then!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Points for winning and drawing on 17:30 - Mar 18 with 822 viewsD_Alien

Points for winning and drawing on 16:39 - Mar 18 by TVOS1907

Good point.

So, 2nd October 1971 (5-0 v Torquay) - 22nd January 1977 (5-0 v Scunthorpe) = 1939 days

And 22nd January 1977 (5-0 v Scunthorpe) - 15th May 1982 (5-3 v Northampton) = 1939 days.

So, after the (amazingly) same intervals between home league games where we scored five goals or more, the same interval following our 6-1 win over Chester in October 2008 would've taken us to around February 2014

We're overdue another by more than 4 years!!

A strange anomaly, given our two promotions during the period since the last one

In the 68/69 promotion campaign alone, we had at least three 6-0 or 6-1 wins

Maybe football has just become more difficult since then, but having said that, i can think of several examples of where we've been cruising at 3 or 4 nil after an hour and just not bothered with further entertainment of supporters

[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 17:33]

Points for winning and drawing on 17:39 - Mar 18 with 802 viewsD_Alien

Points for winning and drawing on 17:02 - Mar 18 by D_Dale

Hilly does come up with some daft remarks - most of which don't really matter and can be disregarded - but I find it hard to believe he explicitly made a case for limiting the players to a 4-goal margin of victory.

One of the games I remember best is a 5-0 drubbing of MKD soon after he arrived :afterwards, did he bawl out the players for their insensitive conduct!

Apart from the fans' interest is seeing their side score, he must be aware that promotion and relegation are sometimes decided by goal difference.

I'd be hard-pressed to put the actual quotes in front of you, but they have been made

It's not so much a case of "limiting" the team to four goals as believing the job of gaining 3pts has been acheived, is how i recall it, and somehow transmitting to the players they should just ease off

We've had plenty of games where that has been patently obvious

Points for winning and drawing on 03:50 - Mar 19 with 620 viewsdownunder

Points for winning and drawing on 17:30 - Mar 18 by D_Alien

So, after the (amazingly) same intervals between home league games where we scored five goals or more, the same interval following our 6-1 win over Chester in October 2008 would've taken us to around February 2014

We're overdue another by more than 4 years!!

A strange anomaly, given our two promotions during the period since the last one

In the 68/69 promotion campaign alone, we had at least three 6-0 or 6-1 wins

Maybe football has just become more difficult since then, but having said that, i can think of several examples of where we've been cruising at 3 or 4 nil after an hour and just not bothered with further entertainment of supporters

[Post edited 18 Mar 2018 17:33]

"In the 68/69 promotion campaign alone, we had at least three 6-0 or 6-1 wins"

Bradford City, and Bradford Park Ave. which were the first 2 games I attended.
Told a few mates at school, and started going more often after that.
I think Grimsby were also hit for 6 that season, though I do not recall that. Was it away?
Login to get fewer ads

Points for winning and drawing on 07:48 - Mar 19 with 576 viewsEllDale

The Grimsby game was on the first Saturday of the New Year 1969.
We went to Bradford PA the following week and scored four there as well.
It was either a famine or feast sometimes that season though because there a lot of 1-1 and 0-0 home draws before the side got into it's stride.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024