Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of season do - £65!! 17:59 - Mar 19 with 47264 viewsChaffRAFC

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2018/march/event-gala-dinner--awards-night/

Utterly ludicrous in my book. Bollocks to a meal and all that stuff.

Very good chance this will be the end of season do after a relegation from League One!

Genuinely hope nobody goes in the hope that the club finally take a step back and look at the decisions they make!

And they wonder why I think "Team Rochdale" is dead.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

End of season do - £65!! on 12:16 - Mar 20 with 2836 viewsYorkshire_Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 19:32 - Mar 19 by funkkk

Jesus Christ, I did not see this reaction coming. A gala dinner with a celebrity speaker in our amazing town hall for £65 doesn't seem that ridiculous to me. I never knew how strongly people felt about an awards evening 🤷🏿‍♂️

Agree........if you don't like the idea, leave it, simples.

Not my cup of char anyway but if there are some folks who will shell out the loot to go to the town Hall hope they enjoy it.
End of season do - £65!! on 12:17 - Mar 20 with 2827 views442Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 12:08 - Mar 20 by E_Bearshaw

Only just noticed ‘carriages’ isn’t until 12pm. Crikey, no wonder it’s £65. That’s a 17 hour event.

If they can make it last long enough it’ll justify the ‘50th anniversary of the first promotion’ tag.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

End of season do - £65!! on 12:19 - Mar 20 with 2821 views442Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 12:16 - Mar 20 by Yorkshire_Dale

Not my cup of char anyway but if there are some folks who will shell out the loot to go to the town Hall hope they enjoy it.

Fine. It’s “simples” for you. Others have alternative views around it and won’t just “leave it”.

End of season do - £65!! on 12:49 - Mar 20 with 2731 viewsChaffRAFC

End of season do - £65!! on 12:19 - Mar 20 by 442Dale

Fine. It’s “simples” for you. Others have alternative views around it and won’t just “leave it”.

Nor should they!

End of season do - £65!! on 12:50 - Mar 20 with 2726 viewsDaleFan7

Anyone who goes to this 'awards evening' joke that isn't corporate or part of the prawn sandwich brigade really does need their head testing.

Another in the long line of #TeamRochdale debacles and that's just this season. The club and whoever came up with this idea are a joke.
End of season do - £65!! on 12:58 - Mar 20 with 2696 viewsDaleiLama

End of season do - £65!! on 11:06 - Mar 20 by D_Alien

It'll come out as:

"YOUR CABBAGES AWAIT"

[Post edited 20 Mar 2018 11:07]

Thought the Town Hall was unpopular, but now it's the Savoy?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

End of season do - £65!! on 12:59 - Mar 20 with 2688 viewsNigeriamark

End of season do - £65!! on 12:00 - Mar 20 by judd

The Maureen Peacock Youth Team Player of the Season Award - Fan award

The Wilson Trophy for Most Improved Player Award - Fan award

The Brent Wilkinson Memorial Trophy Award - Fan award

Dale Dragons Player of the Season Award - Fan award (Kids)

SMAC Player of the Season Award - Fan award (Weirdos)

FITC Player of the Season Award - Club award

Frank Bishop Goal of the Season Award - Fan award

Youth Team Goal of the Season Award - Club award

Players’ Player of the Season Award - Club award

Supporters’ Player of the Season Award - Fan award

I think I am right in describing each award as above.

How can any non-club award be hived off for sponsorship ? The Laughing My Cock Off Coach Company Dale Dragons Award goes to...

Has it been announced that there will definitely not be an awards event after the final home game ?

I have seen plenty of situations where there is a fairly informal announcing of awards, where it is the first time people knows who has won, & where some of those who have won are rushing away soon after

There is then a second event where those who have won are recognized in a structured event where they have more time to plan on attending, are recognized, etc. Yes everybody knows who has won but it is the whole event they are attending.

So if this 65 quid event is replacing the regular end of season do then it is a disgrace. If it is a formal add on then I don't see any issue at all
End of season do - £65!! on 13:01 - Mar 20 with 2669 viewsD_Alien

End of season do - £65!! on 12:08 - Mar 20 by E_Bearshaw

Only just noticed ‘carriages’ isn’t until 12pm. Crikey, no wonder it’s £65. That’s a 17 hour event.

Appropriate enough, for fans treated as Cinderellas

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

End of season do - £65!! on 13:02 - Mar 20 with 2661 viewsDaleFan7

End of season do - £65!! on 12:59 - Mar 20 by Nigeriamark

Has it been announced that there will definitely not be an awards event after the final home game ?

I have seen plenty of situations where there is a fairly informal announcing of awards, where it is the first time people knows who has won, & where some of those who have won are rushing away soon after

There is then a second event where those who have won are recognized in a structured event where they have more time to plan on attending, are recognized, etc. Yes everybody knows who has won but it is the whole event they are attending.

So if this 65 quid event is replacing the regular end of season do then it is a disgrace. If it is a formal add on then I don't see any issue at all

That is something that the club should communicate. Which, surprise surprise, they haven't.
End of season do - £65!! on 13:02 - Mar 20 with 2657 viewsjudd

End of season do - £65!! on 12:59 - Mar 20 by Nigeriamark

By all accounts it is a replacement.

But it has been dressed up as a celebration of a replay in London and an as near as damn it some sort of anniversary from when we got promoted a bit back, kind of.

Elitist.

Pretentious.

Divisive.

Poll: What is it to be then?

End of season do - £65!! on 13:20 - Mar 20 with 2592 viewsaleanddale

End of season do - £65!! on 13:02 - Mar 20 by judd

By all accounts it is a replacement.

But it has been dressed up as a celebration of a replay in London and an as near as damn it some sort of anniversary from when we got promoted a bit back, kind of.

Elitist.

Pretentious.

Divisive.

Agreed.

Try to do it bigger and better / differently by all means but do not forget who has supported the event for god knows how many years.

all a bit odd especially the anniversary claim!
End of season do - £65!! on 13:23 - Mar 20 with 2570 viewsD_Alien

End of season do - £65!! on 12:58 - Mar 20 by DaleiLama

Thought the Town Hall was unpopular, but now it's the Savoy?

Let them eat Ritz

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

End of season do - £65!! on 13:23 - Mar 20 with 2567 viewsJimmyRustler

The wider issue is that the event will probably do well even if it's only from the corporate side of things so it will be seen as a success and may well set a precedent for future proceedings. This is why it's imperative that as fans, we let our feelings known otherwise the nobheads upstairs will think the whole shebang was a stroke of genius irrespective of how many 'real' fans turn up to it.
End of season do - £65!! on 13:27 - Mar 20 with 2541 viewsfitzochris

End of season do - £65!! on 12:00 - Mar 20 by judd

The Maureen Peacock Youth Team Player of the Season Award - Fan award

The Wilson Trophy for Most Improved Player Award - Fan award

The Brent Wilkinson Memorial Trophy Award - Fan award

Dale Dragons Player of the Season Award - Fan award (Kids)

SMAC Player of the Season Award - Fan award (Weirdos)

FITC Player of the Season Award - Club award

Frank Bishop Goal of the Season Award - Fan award

Youth Team Goal of the Season Award - Club award

Players’ Player of the Season Award - Club award

Supporters’ Player of the Season Award - Fan award

I think I am right in describing each award as above.

How can any non-club award be hived off for sponsorship ? The Laughing My Cock Off Coach Company Dale Dragons Award goes to...

The Best Looked After Visiting Media Team Award (sponsored by Southend United FC Media Team)

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

End of season do - £65!! on 13:31 - Mar 20 with 2512 viewsfitzochris

End of season do - £65!! on 12:16 - Mar 20 by Yorkshire_Dale

It’s that kind of laissez-faire attitude that will lead to even more disconnecting events between club and supporter.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

End of season do - £65!! on 13:46 - Mar 20 with 2471 viewsChaffRAFC

End of season do - £65!! on 13:23 - Mar 20 by JimmyRustler

The wider issue is that the event will probably do well even if it's only from the corporate side of things so it will be seen as a success and may well set a precedent for future proceedings. This is why it's imperative that as fans, we let our feelings known otherwise the nobheads upstairs will think the whole shebang was a stroke of genius irrespective of how many 'real' fans turn up to it.

Absolutely this!!!

Only by people not going will they ever think something wasn't right.

I'd urge nobody to go.

End of season do - £65!! on 14:50 - Mar 20 with 2332 viewssmaclad1

End of season do - £65!! on 21:33 - Mar 19 by Sandyman

"The cost to sponsor an award is £1,000 plus VAT
You will receive a table of 10 at the Gala Dinner
You will present the player with the award on stage"

So, what happened to the late Frank Bishop's wife / family presenting the award given in his name?
What happened to a member of the Wilson family presenting The Wilson Trophy as they always do?
A member of SMAC (South Manchester and Cheshire supporters) has always presented their award - what now?

Are these long-standing supporters of awards given in their name being unceremoniously ditched for whoever can chuck a £1000 at it? If so, that really does stink on the face of it.

Can confirm that SMAC was not consulted about this. Our chair received the following email yesterday afternoon, probably around the time the article went live on the club website, so in that regard listing our trophy might be a bit premature -

"Dear
I hope you are well.
I wanted to let you know that this year we are going to be holding a Gala Dinner at Rochdale Town Hall on Sunday 6th May to celebrate the Players End of Season Awards, along with a special guest appearance from Jeff Stelling.
The reason why we have chosen to do this differently this year is to celebrate the end of our 110th anniversary season, to celebrate our FA Cup success and the 50th year of our first ever promotion in the 68/69 season. It has been a remarkable season and one which will hopefully end with us remaining in League One.
We will be keeping all of the awards the same, and you will still be able to choose the winner of the SMAC Player of the Season Award, however this year we are asking for sponsors for each award to help fund the cost of the event.
Therefore, it will be the SMAC Player of the Season Award sponsored by xxxxx.
The sponsor will then present the award on the night.
I appreciate that this is different to the normal running of this event and that you may be disappointed with the changes. We are intending that this is a one-off celebration event and I hope that we can gain your support.
You can of course sponsor the Award itself — the cost is £1,000 plus VAT and includes:
- Receive a table of 10 at the Gala Dinner
- Award sponsorship
- Presentation of Award to the Player on stage
- Name / logo in official awards programme
- Website & social media coverage
Alternatively, tickets for the event are £65 per adult. Unfortunately we are unable to sell tickets to under 16’s for this event.
I hope that this is acceptable. Should you wish to discuss further or require any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

So...we can't present our own award, unless we come up with £1000 for the privilege. And that isn't going to happen. What has been overlooked by the club is that these trophies belong to the fans or families, they are not the club's to hawk around. If the club want their own awards evening they should come up with their own awards for the sponsors.

We responded to the club yesterday, pretty much raising points elsewhere in this thread.
End of season do - £65!! on 15:01 - Mar 20 with 2282 viewsdawlishdale

End of season do - £65!! on 14:50 - Mar 20 by smaclad1

Can confirm that SMAC was not consulted about this. Our chair received the following email yesterday afternoon, probably around the time the article went live on the club website, so in that regard listing our trophy might be a bit premature -

"Dear
I hope you are well.
I wanted to let you know that this year we are going to be holding a Gala Dinner at Rochdale Town Hall on Sunday 6th May to celebrate the Players End of Season Awards, along with a special guest appearance from Jeff Stelling.
The reason why we have chosen to do this differently this year is to celebrate the end of our 110th anniversary season, to celebrate our FA Cup success and the 50th year of our first ever promotion in the 68/69 season. It has been a remarkable season and one which will hopefully end with us remaining in League One.
We will be keeping all of the awards the same, and you will still be able to choose the winner of the SMAC Player of the Season Award, however this year we are asking for sponsors for each award to help fund the cost of the event.
I appreciate that this is different to the normal running of this event and that you may be disappointed with the changes. We are intending that this is a one-off celebration event and I hope that we can gain your support.
You can of course sponsor the Award itself — the cost is £1,000 plus VAT and includes:
- Award sponsorship
Alternatively, tickets for the event are £65 per adult. Unfortunately we are unable to sell tickets to under 16’s for this event.
I hope that this is acceptable. Should you wish to discuss further or require any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

So...we can't present our own award, unless we come up with £1000 for the privilege. And that isn't going to happen. What has been overlooked by the club is that these trophies belong to the fans or families, they are not the club's to hawk around. If the club want their own awards evening they should come up with their own awards for the sponsors.

We responded to the club yesterday, pretty much raising points elsewhere in this thread.

Tell the club that you want your award removed from this seasons Gala Dinner. Seriously....do it.

How many of the awards are donated by or in memory of supporters, and therefore not owned by the club?

If everyone who has donated an award demanded that it be removed from the event, then perhaps the club would have to listen.
End of season do - £65!! on 15:09 - Mar 20 with 2259 viewsjudd

End of season do - £65!! on 15:01 - Mar 20 by dawlishdale

Tell the club that you want your award removed from this seasons Gala Dinner. Seriously....do it.

How many of the awards are donated by or in memory of supporters, and therefore not owned by the club?

If everyone who has donated an award demanded that it be removed from the event, then perhaps the club would have to listen.

Good idea. I certainly hope the Supporters one, run by the Trust, is, and very publically so.

I put a list up earlier but I am unsure if I am right in my assumptions.

The sheer arrogance in thinking that any award belonging to someone else can be put out for sponsorship is staggering.

Poll: What is it to be then?

End of season do - £65!! on 15:10 - Mar 20 with 2257 viewsDaleFan7

End of season do - £65!! on 14:50 - Mar 20 by smaclad1

"Dear
I hope you are well.
- Award sponsorship
Kind regards,

This is disgusting by the club and they need to be called out on it. Awards that have been presented by fans are for the fans, not some corporates that are just their to fund the director's meals and drinks.

Celebrating 50 years since promotion a year early, celebrating getting to Wembley on a technicality. All in a year where performances on the pitch have been for the most part, less than desirable.

This confirms there will be no usual awards night. A kick in the teeth to 95% of the clubs true supporters. They really dont think do they.
End of season do - £65!! on 15:14 - Mar 20 with 2247 viewssmaclad1

End of season do - £65!! on 15:01 - Mar 20 by dawlishdale

It's on the list of options put to them, alongside pointing out our matchball and goal sponsorship.

It's our trophy - not donated. It's my understanding that the club kept hold of the trophies after last seasons presentation because of the difficulty in retrieving them from the previous season's recipients. That doesn't make them the property of the club.

Even if a family has donated an award to the club in memory of a fan, I think the trophy should be regarded as being held in trust by the club, and it should be treated with due respect and not be bought or sold like this.
End of season do - £65!! on 15:18 - Mar 20 with 2220 viewsDaleFan7

End of season do - £65!! on 15:09 - Mar 20 by judd

Good idea. I certainly hope the Supporters one, run by the Trust, is, and very publically so.

The sheer arrogance in thinking that any award belonging to someone else can be put out for sponsorship is staggering.

I'd be extremely disappointed in the trust if they don't pull their award but that's up to them to decide.
End of season do - £65!! on 15:28 - Mar 20 with 2166 views442Dale

End of season do - £65!! on 15:09 - Mar 20 by judd

The Trust would have to consult their members before allowing their award to be presented in order to gauge opinion on the best course of action.

As mentioned by SMAC, the club have ZERO control over any of the awards belonging to individuals/groups/relatives or representatives of people they are named after. It is impossible for them to say at this stage how many awards are up for sponsorship until those listed agree for their award to be presented on the evening.

End of season do - £65!! on 15:33 - Mar 20 with 2147 viewsDaleFan7

End of season do - £65!! on 15:28 - Mar 20 by 442Dale

The Trust would have to consult their members before allowing their award to be presented in order to gauge opinion on the best course of action.

As mentioned by SMAC, the club have ZERO control over any of the awards belonging to individuals/groups/relatives or representatives of people they are named after. It is impossible for them to say at this stage how many awards are up for sponsorship until those listed agree for their award to be presented on the evening.

I think the club would present the award regardless of whether the people attached to it agree. They'll just buy a cheap trophy and still let the sponsor give it them and possibly take the person's name off it for a year. That's how they work these days.
End of season do - £65!! on 16:01 - Mar 20 with 2045 viewsBlueDales

Personally, I have no problem with this event, as long as the usual free awards night still takes place alongside it.

If not, then I understand the outrage about it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024