Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Teams we have played in years gone by 12:58 - Oct 25 with 8742 viewsNewtonDale

Being drawn against Wrexham got me thinking about all of the teams (over the past 34 years that I have been a Dale fan) that we used to play in the league and some now that we rarely played.
For instance Halifax, Notts County, Yeovil, Torquay, Barnet, Hartlepool, Maidstone, Stockport, Wrexham, York, Chester, Hereford, Boston, Kidderminster, Rushden and Diamonds & Darlington are all in non-league (think Rushden may not exist anymore)
Also Oldham, Swindon, Bolton, Blackpool, Bradford, Ipswich & Portsmouth were all once top division teams.
All in all I don't think we have too much to complain about residing in the 2 lower division for all this time.
I don't think I could cope with yoyo-ing up and down the leagues and then falling into non-league!
I am very proud to be a Dale fan. We are a decently run club with a small but loyal fan base so long may it continue.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:35 - Oct 25 with 2186 views442Dale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:22 - Oct 25 by dawlishdale

I was there, and seem to recall it being cold but sunny, so no contest really. And there were loads of us packed closely together in the away end.

Was the blow up doll after the AWS Northern Final at Carlisle?.. that was another awful weather trip...rained all the first half with a howling wind... then , at half time, the wind stopped and the rain got worse, leaving us on the open end , soaking and frozen. Andy Thackery won the toss and chose to kick into the teeth of the gale...and we were 3-0 down by half time.

Happy days.

The best days.

The sense of togetherness back then has been lost down the years as the game and the world has changed. Fans taking it in turns to shelter in the toilets at the back of the terrace illustrated just how bad the weather was that night, especially when you consider the importance of the game.

On Scarborough: their ground is a Lidl now after years of lying unused. The new club have moved back to the town to a ground across the road behind the industrial estate/car showrooms. It’s just had a new stand added to it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:52 - Oct 25 with 2170 viewsEllDale

I believe that in civic terms the towns of Hartlepool and West Hartlepool merged in the 1960's and so the football club added an "S" to their name to reflect the change.
Swansea City used to be Swansea Town and Chester became Chester City as the status of the local authority changed.
My grandad remembered going to Ashington when they were in the league. Or so he said.
Torquay was another favourite destination in summer!
Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:57 - Oct 25 with 2167 viewsfermin

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:48 - Oct 25 by dawlishdale

Went there a few times, and it always either rained or snowed. Up there with Hartlepool(s) Grimsby and Doncaster (Belle View) as the coldest I've been at games.

I'd go for a game away at Wigan's old ground some time in the mid-1990s, I think it was early on in Barrow's reign. Also the Spurs game at Wembley before the game (though it was OK inside).
Teams we have played in years gone by on 17:17 - Oct 25 with 2102 viewsSoutherner

Within the last 34 years, tomorrow's opponents, Oxford, have also been in the top flight (and also non-league). I'm sure any of their fans would also point out that they were in the top division three times the number of seasons than Swindon.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 17:22 - Oct 25 with 2099 viewschalky_ncfc

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:01 - Oct 25 by judd

I enjoyed reading that.

Especially the bit about Notts County being non-league.

You have very diplomatically omitted bury.

Fook off judd

Poll: Do you now think that Notts have suffered enough since Munto?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:37 - Oct 25 with 2052 viewsrichfoad32

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:01 - Oct 25 by NewtonDale

Blimey, I remember going to Gretna in the Cup! Was it soon after that they left the English leagues, joined the Scottish leagues and went on a run that got them quite high up? I think they had a prolific striker that took the division top scorer each year they got promoted. Kenny something I think. I am sure someone will correct me!
[Post edited 25 Oct 2019 15:02]

Kenny Deuchar, he was also a doctor or summat in the medical world. Quite a while after we played them in the cup, this was about 10-15 years ago. They made it all the way to the SPL bankrolled by some high flyer who I think had to pull out eventually due to ill health. Now they are no more, shame really.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:09 - Oct 25 with 1971 viewsdalefertcup2

Blimey, I remember going to Gretna in the Cup! Was it soon after that they left the English leagues, joined the Scottish leagues and went on a run that got them quite high up? I think they had a prolific striker that took the division top scorer each year they got promoted. Kenny something I think. I am sure someone will correct me!

I didn’t think gretna were in the English leagues- that was the big deal at the time them being in the fa cup.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:40 - Oct 25 with 1957 viewsTVOS1907

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:53 - Oct 25 with 1942 viewsmikehunt

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:57 - Oct 25 by fermin

I'd go for a game away at Wigan's old ground some time in the mid-1990s, I think it was early on in Barrow's reign. Also the Spurs game at Wembley before the game (though it was OK inside).

Ee! That Wigan game. You could see the right hand side of the pitch freezing over during the match and players actually stopped playing in that area. Think it was a Windscreen Wiper Cup match.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:55 - Oct 25 with 1938 views442Dale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:53 - Oct 25 by mikehunt

Ee! That Wigan game. You could see the right hand side of the pitch freezing over during the match and players actually stopped playing in that area. Think it was a Windscreen Wiper Cup match.

There was also an Autowindscreens game at Bolton that was played in ridiculous temperatures in Dec ‘91.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:58 - Oct 25 with 1934 viewsTVOS1907

Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:53 - Oct 25 by mikehunt

I think fermin is thinking of the 1-0 win in the league in December 1996 when Whitehall scored a penalty after two minutes.

We never played Wigan away in that tournament when Barrow was manager.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 21:02 - Oct 25 with 1929 views442Dale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 20:58 - Oct 25 by TVOS1907

I think fermin is thinking of the 1-0 win in the league in December 1996 when Whitehall scored a penalty after two minutes.

We never played Wigan away in that tournament when Barrow was manager.

We went and sat in a club employee’s car at half time to get warm. Strangely, and I’m still not sure how it worked, some cars parked inside the ground (I think).

What a marvellous thread this is.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 21:34 - Oct 25 with 1905 viewsjonahwhereru

Kenny Duechar (like the beer) I think. Think he was a qualified doctor.. Jeff Stelling used to refer to him as “the good doctor” every time he scored. He was prolific at the time.
Teams we have played in years gone by on 23:11 - Oct 25 with 1854 viewsjonesy

Dagenham and Redbridge in a snow/slush storm!
Teams we have played in years gone by on 23:57 - Oct 25 with 1827 viewsHealeyDale

Darlington were always one of my favourites. They were regular visitors, being in the fourth tier almost as long as we were. I felt slightly sad when they were relegated the same year we were promoted 😢
Teams we have played in years gone by on 06:14 - Oct 26 with 1774 viewsAlexF

Teams we have played in years gone by on 14:56 - Oct 25 by BigKindo

You obviously weren't at Gretna for the FA Cup match. That was a cold one.I cannot remember whether it was that game or one at Carlisle when driving home south along the M6 we overtook some Daleys who had an inflatable doll on the back seat. No, sorry, what I mean was that there was an inflatable doll sat on the back seat looking out of the window.

Did she look like this? 😮
Teams we have played in years gone by on 06:19 - Oct 26 with 1771 viewsNigeriamark

Teams we have played in years gone by on 23:57 - Oct 25 by HealeyDale

Darlington were always one of my favourites. They were regular visitors, being in the fourth tier almost as long as we were. I felt slightly sad when they were relegated the same year we were promoted 😢

So of all the league teams who are now non-league, which one would you like to get back for an away day?

I would go with Halifax ( closely followed by York). Good town, good pubs
Teams we have played in years gone by on 09:10 - Oct 26 with 1728 viewsSuddenLad

Teams we have played in years gone by on 06:19 - Oct 26 by Nigeriamark

So of all the league teams who are now non-league, which one would you like to get back for an away day?

I would go with Halifax ( closely followed by York). Good town, good pubs

Torquay - Great weekend away. Halifax for local rivalry and York for a great place to visit and quite near.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Teams we have played in years gone by on 09:29 - Oct 26 with 1714 viewsrochdaleriddler

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:22 - Oct 25 by dawlishdale

I was there, and seem to recall it being cold but sunny, so no contest really. And there were loads of us packed closely together in the away end.

Was the blow up doll after the AWS Northern Final at Carlisle?.. that was another awful weather trip...rained all the first half with a howling wind... then , at half time, the wind stopped and the rain got worse, leaving us on the open end , soaking and frozen. Andy Thackery won the toss and chose to kick into the teeth of the gale...and we were 3-0 down by half time.

Happy days.

Made me vow never to go there again, sat in the stand with aggressive half Scots

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:45 - Oct 26 with 1617 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 13:33 - Oct 25 by judd

Is it Hartlepool or Hartlepools?

https://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question142403.html

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 21:11 - Oct 26 with 1591 viewsjudd

Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:45 - Oct 26 by foreverhopefulDale

https://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question142403.html

Cheers.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 22:03 - Oct 26 with 1555 viewsOxDale

AFC Rushden and Diamonds played in the FA Trophy 1st Qualifying round today and Gretna 2008 played in the Lowlands league in Scotland
Teams we have played in years gone by on 22:35 - Oct 26 with 1530 viewskiwidale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 06:14 - Oct 26 by AlexF

Did she look like this? 😮

That was her.

This is not the time for bickering.

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:03 - Oct 27 with 1407 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Teams we have played in years gone by on 21:11 - Oct 26 by judd

Cheers.

Welcome.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Teams we have played in years gone by on 18:15 - Oct 27 with 1357 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Teams we have played in years gone by on 15:03 - Oct 27 by foreverhopefulDale

Welcome.

I remember going to Preston away in the FA Cup, think that was their last season there before moving to deepdale. I absolutely chucked it down all game and pretty sure we lost 3 - 0.

How the match survived god knows, but by half time I was so drenched that at least it could not get worse!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024