Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford Match Thread.. 14:04 - Oct 26 with 10456 viewsdale1968

Hendo starts on the bench with a tight hamstring.
Done & Wilby up front

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Oxford Match Thread.. on 16:27 - Oct 26 with 4316 viewsscarrow

Oxford Match Thread.. on 16:18 - Oct 26 by Nigeriamark

Perhaps I will look for my glasses !!

I would

Poll: Final position

Oxford Match Thread.. on 16:49 - Oct 26 with 4028 viewsSuddenLad

3-0

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Oxford Match Thread.. on 17:03 - Oct 26 with 3831 viewsrichfoad32

Oxford Match Thread.. on 16:49 - Oct 26 by SuddenLad

3-0

Depressing inevitability about the result really, even before the sending off. We are able to get results against the teams below or around us in the table which should hopefully be enough to see us safe, we just struggle to be competitive against the better teams. Bristol Rovers fall into the former category so hope for better next week.
Oxford Match Thread.. on 17:31 - Oct 26 with 3613 viewsCleedale

Oxford Match Thread.. on 17:03 - Oct 26 by richfoad32

Depressing inevitability about the result really, even before the sending off. We are able to get results against the teams below or around us in the table which should hopefully be enough to see us safe, we just struggle to be competitive against the better teams. Bristol Rovers fall into the former category so hope for better next week.

Definitely divisions appearing within this league which might be mirrored in all of them.

On the plus-side guess that most fans would have been happy being 14th after 15 games with 19pts, 7 points above relegation 'before' the start of the season?

...and, sorry, missed the glass-half-full bit...6 points off a play-off place.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2019 17:38]
Oxford Match Thread.. on 17:44 - Oct 26 with 3531 viewsChaffRAFC

Seen the highlights and managed to freeze frame it and for me the red card is incredibly harsh. It's not two footed and his studds don't look like they are showing either.

Also the marking or lack of from MJ on the first goal is awful. Draw a line under it and move on.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:00 - Oct 26 with 3426 views49thseason

Ref likes Red cards, this is his 4th in 9 games so far this season.
Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:09 - Oct 26 with 3373 viewsscarrow

Oxford Match Thread.. on 17:44 - Oct 26 by ChaffRAFC

Seen the highlights and managed to freeze frame it and for me the red card is incredibly harsh. It's not two footed and his studds don't look like they are showing either.

Also the marking or lack of from MJ on the first goal is awful. Draw a line under it and move on.

Doesnt need to be 2 footed. It was one footed, studs up and the ref must have judged him as being out of control. Clear red

Poll: Final position

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:20 - Oct 26 with 3330 viewsOxDale

Just back! First, Oxford were good. We were poor. 3-0 flattered us. Once Henderson wasn't playing we were in trouble, just like Wimbledon, the last game I went to! We were completely toothless up front. As the stat, zero on-target attempts suggests.
Red card. Once the ref gave a free-kick it was red. Foot over the ball, clear from the away stand. That's what happens when you ask a 40 year old to chase the ball.
For me, Camps was the biggest disappointment, again. He spent the entire game behind oxford players, either hiding, sorry not showing, or unsuccessfully chasing them. The advanced role doesn't seem to work.
And why we continue to try to pass out from goal kicks when the opposition has clearly worked it out is beyond me.
Starting the second half with 9 nine men was embarrassing.
Bad day again at oxford, that's 3 years in a row. Its becoming a habit. Move on
UTD
Login to get fewer ads

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:27 - Oct 26 with 3291 viewsChaffRAFC

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:09 - Oct 26 by scarrow

Doesnt need to be 2 footed. It was one footed, studs up and the ref must have judged him as being out of control. Clear red

Gonna have to disagree. Its a tackle, I don't think his studds are up and I don't think it's a dangerous tackle.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:47 - Oct 26 with 3183 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:00 - Oct 26 by 49thseason

Ref likes Red cards, this is his 4th in 9 games so far this season.

Hardly prolific!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:50 - Oct 26 with 3159 viewsJames1980

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:20 - Oct 26 by OxDale

Just back! First, Oxford were good. We were poor. 3-0 flattered us. Once Henderson wasn't playing we were in trouble, just like Wimbledon, the last game I went to! We were completely toothless up front. As the stat, zero on-target attempts suggests.
Red card. Once the ref gave a free-kick it was red. Foot over the ball, clear from the away stand. That's what happens when you ask a 40 year old to chase the ball.
For me, Camps was the biggest disappointment, again. He spent the entire game behind oxford players, either hiding, sorry not showing, or unsuccessfully chasing them. The advanced role doesn't seem to work.
And why we continue to try to pass out from goal kicks when the opposition has clearly worked it out is beyond me.
Starting the second half with 9 nine men was embarrassing.
Bad day again at oxford, that's 3 years in a row. Its becoming a habit. Move on
UTD

I have pondered if BBM has been a tad naive saying that the plan is to play that way at every game. Teams don't have to 'work us out' they all ready know the game plan before the match starts.
Unless Brian is pulling a double bluff in which case he is a managerial Machiavelli. Glad I swapped my day off so I could go on Tuesday and miss the match today.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:52 - Oct 26 with 3147 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford Match Thread.. on 16:12 - Oct 26 by D_Dale

Maybe a straight red was deserved, but googling "Nick Kinseley" leads to a lot of criticism and no praise.

From unbiased football fans?

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:53 - Oct 26 with 3141 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:50 - Oct 26 by James1980

I have pondered if BBM has been a tad naive saying that the plan is to play that way at every game. Teams don't have to 'work us out' they all ready know the game plan before the match starts.
Unless Brian is pulling a double bluff in which case he is a managerial Machiavelli. Glad I swapped my day off so I could go on Tuesday and miss the match today.

I wondered where you were, James.

Oxford Match Thread.. on 19:44 - Oct 26 with 2954 viewsJames1980

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:53 - Oct 26 by TVOS1907

I wondered where you were, James.

Working in a ticket office this evening, listened to the commentary on iFollow. Are Oxford likely to go up based on what you saw today or did we make them look good?

Oxford Match Thread.. on 19:46 - Oct 26 with 2941 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford Match Thread.. on 19:44 - Oct 26 by James1980

Working in a ticket office this evening, listened to the commentary on iFollow. Are Oxford likely to go up based on what you saw today or did we make them look good?

Top six, I’d say, James. We didn’t make them look good; they were a good side regardless.

Oxford Match Thread.. on 20:03 - Oct 26 with 2869 viewsdingdangblue

Definitely harsh. Another ref gives a yellow. Carl Robinson doesn't help things with his over reaction on the sidelines.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Oxford Match Thread.. on 20:19 - Oct 26 with 2808 viewsDySporting

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:27 - Oct 26 by ChaffRAFC

Gonna have to disagree. Its a tackle, I don't think his studds are up and I don't think it's a dangerous tackle.

I was dead in line with the challenge and wasn't surprised it was a red. Definitely had his one foot raised as he slid in. Sliding in in those conditions wasn't the best decision. Speaking to people after the game it definitely split opinions but he gave the referee the decision to make. A needless challenge in the part of the pitch
Oxford Match Thread.. on 22:26 - Oct 26 with 2484 views49thseason

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:47 - Oct 26 by TVOS1907

Hardly prolific!

But when you look at the averages...
As far as I can fathom, 47 Referees have been involved in 161 L1 Matches. These have resulted in 566 Yellows and 32 Reds that's about 3.5 yellows per game and a Red every 5 games so our ref today with 2 reds in 3 L2 games is better than three times as likely to give a red card than the average.

The averages for L2 are similar with 3.5 Yellows per game (654 in 184 games) and 34 reds (1 every 5.4 games).
The 4 referees currently most likely to give red cards in L1 are:
Charles Breakspear 5games in L1 2 reds
Craig Hicks 5 games in L1 4 Reds
Nick Kinseley 3 games in L1 2 Reds
Seb Stockbridge 6 games in L1 4 Reds

This 8.5 % of referees (4/47) have accounted for 35% (12 / 34) of L1 red cards so far this season, they have refereed 19 L1 games and given 12 reds. That's a Red card in every 1.6 games vs an average of a red in every 6.5 games for the other 43 referees.
There is little doubt that teams in L1 would do well to watch out for these 4 refs.
Oxford Match Thread.. on 09:54 - Oct 27 with 1903 viewsDaleiLama

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:50 - Oct 26 by James1980

Wasn't sure if that was you I spotted or not James during the post-match dash to the car on Tuesday - beard is a lot shorter now! Good choice of match too

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Oxford Match Thread.. on 09:59 - Oct 27 with 1882 views1907

Oxford Match Thread.. on 18:47 - Oct 26 by TVOS1907

Hardly prolific!

Don’t understand your comment here. That’s nearly a red every other game? That is clearly a lot?
Oxford Match Thread.. on 10:04 - Oct 27 with 1859 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford Match Thread.. on 09:59 - Oct 27 by 1907

Don’t understand your comment here. That’s nearly a red every other game? That is clearly a lot?

It’s 2.5 games per red card, which in the modern game, in my opinion, isn’t that prolific, especially when you would have to look at each individual instance to see what they were for.

The previous three might have all been for someone throwing a punch at an opponent, for example.

Oxford Match Thread.. on 10:12 - Oct 27 with 1841 viewsTVOS1907

Oxford Match Thread.. on 22:26 - Oct 26 by 49thseason

But when you look at the averages...
As far as I can fathom, 47 Referees have been involved in 161 L1 Matches. These have resulted in 566 Yellows and 32 Reds that's about 3.5 yellows per game and a Red every 5 games so our ref today with 2 reds in 3 L2 games is better than three times as likely to give a red card than the average.

The averages for L2 are similar with 3.5 Yellows per game (654 in 184 games) and 34 reds (1 every 5.4 games).
The 4 referees currently most likely to give red cards in L1 are:
Charles Breakspear 5games in L1 2 reds
Craig Hicks 5 games in L1 4 Reds
Nick Kinseley 3 games in L1 2 Reds
Seb Stockbridge 6 games in L1 4 Reds

This 8.5 % of referees (4/47) have accounted for 35% (12 / 34) of L1 red cards so far this season, they have refereed 19 L1 games and given 12 reds. That's a Red card in every 1.6 games vs an average of a red in every 6.5 games for the other 43 referees.
There is little doubt that teams in L1 would do well to watch out for these 4 refs.

Very interesting and I love stats as much as the next man, but as I always tell my students, you can use them to support or deny any point you want.

So, what was each card for? Were some of them shown to players after a brawl/handbags, for example, thereby increasing the numbers?

Was a red card shown to a player who handled a shot on the line (no real choice), or for elbowing an opponent or was it for more of a judgement call, like yesterday?

I haven’t the answers to the above, by the way, but stats need to have some context behind them to support an argument.

And, having seen the incident from yesterday, I agree it could have been a yellow on another day, but then red again on a different day. Nothing about it is a ‘clear and obvious error’ and TV footage does little to help, given only one camera angle.

Oxford Match Thread.. on 11:39 - Oct 27 with 1724 viewsJames1980

Oxford Match Thread.. on 09:54 - Oct 27 by DaleiLama

Wasn't sure if that was you I spotted or not James during the post-match dash to the car on Tuesday - beard is a lot shorter now! Good choice of match too

I was waiting at the main gate for a cab, beard is even shorter now.
Fingers crossed the next 2 home games are as entertaining as the one against MK

Oxford Match Thread.. on 01:15 - Oct 28 with 1273 viewsAtThePeake

I can see where you're coming from Chaff - but the angle the ref has is far better than the camera angle I'm afraid. The reaction of the Oxford players tells a story too.

Tangled up in blue.

Oxford Match Thread.. on 08:35 - Oct 28 with 1107 viewsdingdangblue

Oxford Match Thread.. on 10:12 - Oct 27 by TVOS1907

Very interesting and I love stats as much as the next man, but as I always tell my students, you can use them to support or deny any point you want.

So, what was each card for? Were some of them shown to players after a brawl/handbags, for example, thereby increasing the numbers?

Was a red card shown to a player who handled a shot on the line (no real choice), or for elbowing an opponent or was it for more of a judgement call, like yesterday?

I haven’t the answers to the above, by the way, but stats need to have some context behind them to support an argument.

And, having seen the incident from yesterday, I agree it could have been a yellow on another day, but then red again on a different day. Nothing about it is a ‘clear and obvious error’ and TV footage does little to help, given only one camera angle.

1 was for a similar robust challenge (Swindon v Carlisle), 1 was for an off the ball incident at a throw in (Exeter v Mansfield) and the other was 2 yellow cards (Wimbledon v Bristol Rovers).
I think 4 reds in 9 games is a lot but like you said it depends on the circumstances. Obviously the players should be aware of his 'previous' and that he doesn't mind sending players off (you do get some refs who are less prone to red cards and seem to let more go) - I'm sure Alby has challenged like that before in his 20+ years as a pro and just got a yellow but more refs these days are instructed to be more strict with these type of tackles.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024