Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plymouth (h) Match Thread 14:03 - Nov 30 with 23203 viewsHullDale

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:16 - Dec 5 with 4611 viewselectricblue

Better 2nd half from Dale again today seems to be an reoccuring theme with this lot..
Not over confident with Lynch today, i thought that Coleman would get the nod unless he is carrying an injury....

Its obvious an experienced striker is required in Jan if possible as today proved on national tv for all to see is a weak part of Dales game..

Where is Newby!
Is he injured........

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:40 - Dec 5 with 4463 viewsTVOS1907

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:16 - Dec 5 by electricblue

Better 2nd half from Dale again today seems to be an reoccuring theme with this lot..
Not over confident with Lynch today, i thought that Coleman would get the nod unless he is carrying an injury....

Its obvious an experienced striker is required in Jan if possible as today proved on national tv for all to see is a weak part of Dales game..

Where is Newby!
Is he injured........

Yes

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:41 - Dec 5 with 4460 viewsNorthernDale

Newby is injured apparently.

Taking off Andrews was a mistake because he creates problems due to his size, I would have taken Beesley off and replaced him with Cashman. Beesley runs hard, but he is too easy pushed off the ball and beside the header, he wasted too many easy chances and did not even make the goalkeeper make a proper save. I agree we need to sign an experience striker in January, because even Stockdale admitted that we don't take the chances we create and use Cashman more.

I will give Stockdale credit in that he took Grant off and brought on White, so allowing Odoh to get forward, because it allowed us to create chances, which Odoh did do in the first half operating in the back five. Morley had a good game, so did Kelly which hopefully bodes well for the future, but I think Taylor deserves credit as well for his performance to day and in recent games since his return.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 16:02 - Dec 5 with 4365 viewsjonahwhereru

Enjoyed that.
They were better technically, had a better first touch and had greater vision. For all that we gave it a proper go once the Odoh switch was made. Morley did what Morley can do, but we haven’t been seeing enough of. Can’t be critical of Lynch for the approach to corners. With 3 6ft plus defenders in the team plus Andrews and Beesley all mixing it with a tall Plymouth team, he is best advised to not try and claim balls by going through men mountains. Beesley is frustrating , but to be fair the late header his technique was correct and tbh I credit the keeper with a great stop.
Lots more positives than negatives for me today. MOM between Odoh (always occupying the opposition), but overall O’Connell just edges it for leadership all over the pitch
UTDNFS
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 16:07 - Dec 5 with 4331 viewskrafty80

I watched today's game from home as an exile, but I agree with everyone suggesting that there are more positives than negatives to take from today. Clearly, as the ITV lads mentioned, we don't have the class of centre forward/finisher we've been spoilt with over the past 15 years, and if we did we may well have won that game.

On the other hand, the performance overall was miles better than (for example) the Crawley game, which is the one truly abysmal performance I've seen live this season. I'm also massively encouraged by the performances of Odoh and Dorsett; Odoh looked a threat all day, even when doing the unfamiliar role in the first half, and Dorsett was probably our best defender. I'd go so far as to say he looked assured for most of the game, which is a hell of a turnaround in just a few weeks. Maybe the example of these two lads points to Stockdale being a 'training ground manager' who can actually improve players over time? That would be a boon for us as the season progresses. He probably isn't going to turn Bees into a 20 goal striker, but I am cautiously optimistic about the league campaign going forward. I reckon Andrews could score a few once fully match fit, and I wonder if a more direct role might be found for someone like Cashman in the coming weeks? The improvement in Dorsett and the general form of Taylor (who still looked a bit shaky at times today I thought, and was beaten for their goal) means maybe O'Connell could play as a holding midfielder more often.

Also, at the risk of annoying the FGs, this seems like a squad that could be kept largely together through the season rather than being picked apart at the January window.

Up the Dale!
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 16:22 - Dec 5 with 4202 views1907

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 15:41 - Dec 5 by NorthernDale

Newby is injured apparently.

Taking off Andrews was a mistake because he creates problems due to his size, I would have taken Beesley off and replaced him with Cashman. Beesley runs hard, but he is too easy pushed off the ball and beside the header, he wasted too many easy chances and did not even make the goalkeeper make a proper save. I agree we need to sign an experience striker in January, because even Stockdale admitted that we don't take the chances we create and use Cashman more.

I will give Stockdale credit in that he took Grant off and brought on White, so allowing Odoh to get forward, because it allowed us to create chances, which Odoh did do in the first half operating in the back five. Morley had a good game, so did Kelly which hopefully bodes well for the future, but I think Taylor deserves credit as well for his performance to day and in recent games since his return.

I’m going to post my reflection of the game tomorrow when I’ve had a few less beers and can better articulate my thoughts.

Your comments on Beesley & Andrews have blown my mind though.

Andrews is the better finisher of the two, however he is exceptionally weak in the air and, to be honest, his size hinders him for me.

As a young lad who is viewed as a beast, the opposition targets him and he doesn’t have the experience to deal with that & struggles as a result. He won very little throughout the game in the air and missed a couple of good chances. I thought bringing him off for Dooley to add to the midfield was the right decision at the right time.

Beesley was absolutely excellent off the ball today. Tireless work, wins the ball upfield and is clever with his movement to win headers. However, and it’s a humongous however, his finishing his bordering on dreadful. According to ITV he has had more chances than any other player in league two and when you consider this, his conversion rate is appalling.

It’s really difficult to be critical when you know he’s given his all (again), but he is now regularly costing us wins with his failure to convert.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 17:01]
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 17:03 - Dec 5 with 4016 viewsCedar_Room

Todays game summed up a lot I’ve seen this season - plenty of the ball but lacking in the final third to really make it count. I like Bees a lot but he’s simply not got enough of the goals we are relying on him for. Obviously the task of finding someone who’ll get you 15-20 goals in L2 is one every club is looking at and it can’t have escaped Stockdales notice. But - if we can bring someone in (and I think that’s the cure rather than relying on our current players massively improving in the next few weeks) we have enough about us to challenge for a play off spot IMO. If not we will probably be looking at a mid table finish with the hope of getting that final piece of the puzzle going into next season.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 17:35 - Dec 5 with 3873 views1907

Just watching the ITV catch up & they’ve quoted Beesley has scored 5 goals from 51 shots in the league.

If anything is a telling stat, it’s that.
Login to get fewer ads

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 19:52 - Dec 5 with 3482 views49thseason

Stockdale could do to get Holty to spend a few hours coaching Beesley and Andrews in the finer points of making an absolute nuisance of yourself in the penalty area and how to finish decent opportunities.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 20:00 - Dec 5 with 3441 viewsRobinHoodDale

Just seen BBC's Match of the Day FA Cup round-up.

They state that Robbie Stockdale and the rest of us may feel justifiably aggrieved as both the Plymouth goals should not have happened in the manner they did.

For the first, their Plymouth No 9 was clearly offside and in active play prior to the header.

For the second, the ball blatantly outside the corner kick quadrant, as had occurred often this afternoon.

Looks like both ITV and the beeb are well on our side at present - which is nice.

Doesn't really make up for the opportunities not taken, of course. Onwards.......to 2022.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 20:09 - Dec 5 with 3362 viewsNinco

Does anyone know how the fan in the main stand is who had the medical episode at the end of the game?
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 20:26 - Dec 5 with 3290 viewsEllDale

No real complaints at all today.
Can’t ask for more than 100% from all concerned which is all that I want to see and what we definitely got.
It was a good measure of where we are by comparison with a highflying team in League One and we certainly weren’t disgraced.
I’m sure that RS is more than aware that a goalpoacher would probably take us to another level and is no doubt looking for options next month.
They don’t have to be an experienced player. A class youngster eg Jermaine Defoe on loan Bournemouth from West Ham all those years ago could fill his boots in this team.
I thought that the halftime change certainly worked. We’re so much better with a left footed, more direct wingback on that side of the pitch. No criticism of Grant but he was struggling to impose himself on the game.
I too think that Dorsett looks a completely different player. As the old saying goes, you never loose your skill, perhaps only your confidence.
And O’Connell was inspirational yet again. I sometimes don’t think that he gets the plaudits that he deserves because as he’s so good every game that we tend to take his excellence for granted.
Great goal from Morley and only a superb stop stopped Beesley from equalising late on.
The only downside was the manner in which they bagged the winner.
Another corner, another sloppy goal.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 00:09 - Dec 6 with 2899 views_Windydale

Previous games and definitely today have shown we need a striker/forward replacement who has reactions and awareness in front of goal to slot opportunities away. Loan, lower league, whatever.
Beesley has had the support from fans for a good few games, patience will wearing out. He needs to work on his game in front of goal.

His defensive error for Plymouth's second goal shows he needs to work on his reaction, instinct, and aggression. For the cross, he followed the ball in the air but he wasn't ready to clear.

How many chances, shoould he have? its not fair on the guys on the bench.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 00:23 - Dec 6 with 2862 viewsrichfoad32

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 00:09 - Dec 6 by _Windydale

Previous games and definitely today have shown we need a striker/forward replacement who has reactions and awareness in front of goal to slot opportunities away. Loan, lower league, whatever.
Beesley has had the support from fans for a good few games, patience will wearing out. He needs to work on his game in front of goal.

His defensive error for Plymouth's second goal shows he needs to work on his reaction, instinct, and aggression. For the cross, he followed the ball in the air but he wasn't ready to clear.

How many chances, shoould he have? its not fair on the guys on the bench.

If we are able to sign a more natural finisher I would rather he be partnered with Beesley and have Andrews miss out to be honest.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 00:45 - Dec 6 with 2821 views_Windydale

I think Andrews is a better option growing in confidence and against some of the second division opposition he's going to improve as a player.

Beezley at the minute is gifted opportunities in the box and isn't a threat. In fact, I would like to see a player with a faster reaction time like Cashman given a couple of games.

Beezley's a tall fella is not doing well in the challenge upfront, like other guys have said maybe the head injury knocked his confidence. Give Cashman a go. He's shown some quality in previous games.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 0:58]
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 01:17 - Dec 6 with 2781 viewsrichfoad32

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 00:45 - Dec 6 by _Windydale

I think Andrews is a better option growing in confidence and against some of the second division opposition he's going to improve as a player.

Beezley at the minute is gifted opportunities in the box and isn't a threat. In fact, I would like to see a player with a faster reaction time like Cashman given a couple of games.

Beezley's a tall fella is not doing well in the challenge upfront, like other guys have said maybe the head injury knocked his confidence. Give Cashman a go. He's shown some quality in previous games.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 0:58]

Well let's not forget it was BeeSley who ensured we even had a game today...You take his non stop running and defending from the front out and you risk upsetting the balance of the team. I don't dislike Andrews but he doesn't really win nearly enough in the air for his size either. Still, as you say, he's still improving. Cashman can probably count himself a bit unlucky he hasn't been given more of a go.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 01:30 - Dec 6 with 2760 views_Windydale

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 01:17 - Dec 6 by richfoad32

Well let's not forget it was BeeSley who ensured we even had a game today...You take his non stop running and defending from the front out and you risk upsetting the balance of the team. I don't dislike Andrews but he doesn't really win nearly enough in the air for his size either. Still, as you say, he's still improving. Cashman can probably count himself a bit unlucky he hasn't been given more of a go.

I do agree Beesley running hard, building attacks and closing down opposition in possession it helps defensively. Very poor in the air though. In an attack, he's helping to build, but were not scoring, were not winning. We need to change it for a few games.

Were attack-minded, were getting opportunities. We need someone quicker to react in the box. Someone to kill off the opposition.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 10:42 - Dec 6 with 2371 viewsTipperaryDale

Beesley is a funny one because he's almost undroppable because of the work he puts in and how important he is to the shape of the team, but he doesn't score nowhere near enough and because of that we're losing points. He's like our Emile Heskey.

Personally if available I would bring in a nippy striker who gets to the front post for balls in and play him alongside Beesley. We don't need anyone with particular dribbling skill or anything, but just someone who's a bit selfish and wants to get on the end of things. Easier said than done, but at least we should make an attempt and provide a bit of competition.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 11:34 - Dec 6 with 2259 viewsBucketBstard

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 14:24 - Dec 5 by funkkk

If we’re pointing fingers for losing that game I think we need to be looking at our number 9 not Lynch.

And Max Taylor , who missed both headers for both goals. Not good enough I'm afraid, hope he has learnt from this.
Felt sorry for the team as whole thought we were the better team, we showed some good quality touches and as everyone said its the defending and not taking chances that are letting us down.
Wouldnt mind someone like Wheater coming in central defence and move O.Connell into midfield , he has quite a decent pass on him. Definitely need a goalscorer. Beesley ties hard but is too weak and Andrews never got a look in really .
Still more positives than negatives and if we can recruit in Jan in areas we need then we should be pushing for play-offs from what I have seen.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 12:49 - Dec 6 with 2117 viewsD_Alien

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 10:42 - Dec 6 by TipperaryDale

Beesley is a funny one because he's almost undroppable because of the work he puts in and how important he is to the shape of the team, but he doesn't score nowhere near enough and because of that we're losing points. He's like our Emile Heskey.

Personally if available I would bring in a nippy striker who gets to the front post for balls in and play him alongside Beesley. We don't need anyone with particular dribbling skill or anything, but just someone who's a bit selfish and wants to get on the end of things. Easier said than done, but at least we should make an attempt and provide a bit of competition.

Cashman's been tried in this position once, coming on as sub and scoring the winner against Tranmere

That we've not seen him given more game time to see if he really can do the job we need in that position is pretty frustrating. He's certainly not effective playing deeper or out wide

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 13:16 - Dec 6 with 2053 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Do we have any up and coming Strikers/ Forwards in our Youth set up?
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 13:26 - Dec 6 with 2026 views442Dale

Beesley, despite missing more chances than he’d like, still has 8 in 23 games this season. He is now being used on the right of the forward three, albeit with the freedom to move into central areas.

Cashman may not have had the chance to illustrate how he could contribute more in a front two but not really sure if he’d be the answer anyway. Wouldn’t be surprised if his loan finishes early as Coventry will have wanted him playing more regularly.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 13:45 - Dec 6 with 1970 viewsD_Alien

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 13:26 - Dec 6 by 442Dale

Beesley, despite missing more chances than he’d like, still has 8 in 23 games this season. He is now being used on the right of the forward three, albeit with the freedom to move into central areas.

Cashman may not have had the chance to illustrate how he could contribute more in a front two but not really sure if he’d be the answer anyway. Wouldn’t be surprised if his loan finishes early as Coventry will have wanted him playing more regularly.

It would seem that RS isn't sure either, but the only evidence we have is his piece of trickery and skillful finish against Tranmere

Judging him on playing in a deeper role would be similar to viewing Hendo as wasted when he used to be deployed deeper

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 14:21 - Dec 6 with 1903 viewsTipperaryDale

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 13:26 - Dec 6 by 442Dale

I believe he should have even more. Our wide players put in so many balls into the box - Beesley almost never gets on the end of them.

Would agree with Cashman being an option - however, he seems to drift in and out of games (and position). For me he's someone who wants to get on the ball a lot and for it to be played to feet. Would prefer an Alfie-type player who can stay on defender's shoulder, nip at their heels, and generally be a nuisance. A finisher not another creator.
Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 14:51 - Dec 6 with 1829 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Plymouth (h) Match Thread on 14:21 - Dec 6 by TipperaryDale

I believe he should have even more. Our wide players put in so many balls into the box - Beesley almost never gets on the end of them.

Would agree with Cashman being an option - however, he seems to drift in and out of games (and position). For me he's someone who wants to get on the ball a lot and for it to be played to feet. Would prefer an Alfie-type player who can stay on defender's shoulder, nip at their heels, and generally be a nuisance. A finisher not another creator.

Overall thought we played well, they looked far more dangerous when in attack but we had more attacks, O Keefe I thought was MOM by miles, main attacking threat with great crosses but nobody getting in the right areas, I thought Dossett looked ok but as a big unit he looked very cumbersome and clumsy and weakest link in the defence, guess we see things differently at times and he may be getting better than he was (exiled so don’t see many games).

Beesley reminds me of Donnelly but amazingly less likely to score, runs about a lot with no real end product but tries hard, he looks every bit what we signed, a non league striker. Donnelly gets hammered for being dogshit and tbh beesley is no better (doubt his scoring record is any better) no doubt TVOS will know.

Good game to watch, with a half decent striker we would have won, pitch looked great and we more than held our own against a team that was recently top of div 1 so credit to all for that. How they got away with those corners though god knows, every one was half a foot outside the markings!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024